Thinking of going to WDW solo....

Disneynut11676

<font color=DarkSlateBlue>The Tag Fairies hope all
I am sorta new to these boards and I was just wondering if anyone here has ever gone half with another DISer on a room at WDW. We had this really great trip planned out for October -- my DH, best friend, her DH and their DS were all suppossed to go & then they backed out. Now DH is saying that he was only going so I could be there for my friends first WDW experience & he doesn't want to go now :( I am soooo sad and disappointed -- I really wanted to go, but I can't afford any of the rooms (even with the Fairytale Package) on my own. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Hi Disneynut11676,

I go solo most of the time. I can afford to do this because I stay off the property. If you check they Days Inn site they are offering rooms from $34-$75 a night. I find the room very nice and when I think of how much time I actually spend at the hotel, it suits my needs perfectly. I do always rent a car, I like the freedom it allows me. I to the Transportion center for my WDW portion of my trip and then use WDW transportion from their, but I have and AP and do not have to pay for parking.

I hope this help!!

If you can afford it, you'd probably have a much better time going solo. Once I met another solo on the bus over to AK. Since we were both solo, we decided to do some of the rides together. She was very nice, and I had a real nice time with her, but I was happy when we separated (I wanted to do Flights of Wonder since I'm a birder, and she wanted to watch the gorillas). The company had been fun, but the total freedom was far better (I hope I don't come off sounding too selfish here).

I have a business trip coming up the first week of June and DH and I were planning on doing some Orlando stuff (including Dolphins in Depth at Epcot), but now he's pinched a nerve in his back and isn't getting better yet (been off work 2 weeks, on steriods, therapy, Oxycontin, etc, and still in agony), so I may be going alone.

Was terribly depressed at first (we have SUCH a good time together), but this morning I decided to make the most of it. People who report back having gone solo seem to have a really good time, so I'm adjusting my attitude and planning on having fun all by myself. Now I need to make a new list of things I know he hates that I'll be able to do over and over... (TOT, RNRC, any other coasters, etc).

Any tips appreciated! (Especially from Simba's Mom, because if I'm solo, I'm SOLO, darn it, and I don't think that's selfish at all!)

One of my favorite tips-I used to hate sit-down dining when I was solo. Took me about 4 trips to figure this out: Before I go now, I buy one of those little spiral notebooks, less than a dollar. Then I use the time I'm dining to write down my thoughts, the rides I've ridden, what I've eaten, things I've done and seen. Not only does it give me something to do, it's a real fun souvenier to look back on after I'm home. The other day I reread the one from my last solo trip last fall. Better than reading a Disney guidebook for that "Disney fix". Now I've taken to buying a notebook months in advance and keeping notes in it beforehand on rooms, park hours, entertainment schedule, limited edition pins being released while I'm there, don't miss things, etc. So now I'll also have something to read while I'm sit-down dining.

Go for it!!! I would check to see if there is availability with the FTP at one of the value resorts. This is a great deal! If not, I would still suggest getting a room at one of the All Stars. These are pretty inexpensive, so there would be no need to rent a car.

I love going with family, but have just as much fun (maybe a little more) going solo. You have alot of freedom!! You can go where you want, do what you want, dine where you want, when you want.

I love to read, so I always have a book with me. This helps pass the time and eases any tention about dining alone. Also, this gives me something to do while waiting for a parade or show to start.

I've done WDW solo several times (with another trip coming up this November and next May) and have never felt unsafe. Just take the right precautions (i.e. make sure you keep your door locked, etc.).

A note when "re-doing" your list and figuring out what you want to do. I'm a big proponant of solo travel. Love going with the wife. Also love going alone. The often overlooked advantage: you're completely on your own schedule. Do what you want to do, when you want to do it, go as fast, or as slow, as you want. And note that you'll be amazed the 'extra' time you seem to have. That's because you have to deal with only one set of trips to the bathroom, one set of staying longer at an attraction than the other, etc.

You'll have time coming out your ears, and the time of your life.

Pat

Hi,

I had planned my first solo trip for 12/01. However I was hospitalized with pneumonia which extended into the trip which I had to cancel. Can't tell you what a bummer that was. However, My mom (mid 50's) and I (early 30's) decided to go to WDW and IOA in 12/02 (about a 10 day stay). I love my mom, but had enough by day 7. Like Simba's mom, I don't think that its selfish for me to go on vacation by myself as I work hard all year long. So this Dec. I am finally going solo however, like you I need to watch my money.

Last year, we decided to do everything so we spent a ton and we had to cut corners where we could. First we decided not to stay onsite at Disney (even AS in offseason is still about $60 per night). I looked into Priceline and decided to go that route (which for my first time was very easy). Priceline has a sister website called biddingfortravel.com. When you enter the site, scroll down the first page until you come to FL - Orlando/WDW and then double click on that title. Read the first two threads that pop up as they tell which hotels frequently accept the bids in the Orlando area (make sure to click on and read the reviews for each hotel in the level you may want to bid on) and also will answer general questions. All the other threads are post of what people have won for their bid, date of stay and amount for same. Last year I bid on a 3* in Kissimmee. This hotel frequently accepts bids for $35 per night. I left a review for the Renaissance World Gate (we did not have a bad stay, but some people have had not so great stays due to conventions). Hotel was clean and we did have a good time; however, I would suggest that you get a rental car a so you can come and go as you please. (You can always attempt to rent the vehicle on Priceline to.)

Just remember if you decide to bid on Priceline you are bidding on any hotel that comes up under that level. For instance, the resort level for the closest to Disney property includes the Hilton (DTD), Wyndham (DTD), Swan, Dolphin, a Marriot and one or two other hotels not located on Disney prop (bids usually accepted from $60-$90 per night). However, if you bid $60 per night and Priceline accepts, they can place you at any one of those hotels. You may get lucky and get one of the DTD resorts or you may end up off property at a nice resort such as the Marriot Orlando, but would need your own vehicle to get around.

Lastly, several sites such as this one post when hotels are offering their rooms cheaply. Also check occasionally with mousesavers.com to see what type of onsite room discounts and other preferred hotel offers she has. Okay final option. If need be, cut your vacation at little short. If you wanted to do a week stay, try a 4 night stay instead as it will be a little cheaper and as this will be your first solo visit anyway.

I hope that you get to make it there and have a great time by yourself.

Have met several wonderful people from this board at WDW and shared a meal with them or just spent some time to keep them company for a while.

Hope you decide to come down and will be glad to meet if you would like.

Best wishes. :cool:

I would never want to share my room with another DIS'er, even if we got to know each other first ! I have really come to
*treasure* my vacation solo. I love having the room to myself.
I use the gov't rate at The Swan and it is a little easier on the budget.

If your budget is tight........use the All Stars, if you can. At least you will still be on Disney property.

I very much enjoy meeting other DIS'ers while I am solo at WDW, however just for short periods of time, like a meal.
If we are happily solo, then we each need to do our own thing !

I've never gone to WDW solo yet but am not opposed to the idea. I have to admit that the idea is appealing in that it's the most independent vacation ever!
As for dining alone, I have to chuckle a bit at the reluctance to do so on most folks' part. I used to be in the same boat, feeling a bit uncomfortable at the very idea, thinking that people might stare or think "oh look at the poor guy, he has no friends!"
Well, now that I've lived in NYC for 14 years, I've gotten over that! In fact, dining alone, going to movies or seeing shows, stopping at a bar for a drink alone, they are SO commonplace in this city, it's odd not to see it wherever one goes. So if there is a great restaurant, a particularly gory horror movie (my parter HATES them!), or anything else under the sun for that matter, and I have no takers, I merrily go on my way, solo and without a thought!
And imagine being able to ride your favorite ride or see your favorite attraction over and over and over again without fear of risking the wrath of a very bored friend or loved one!!!! AND, imagine being able to eat whatever you want, whenever you want and in whatever amount want, without any comments whatsoever (not to say the waiters might be whispering about you though--just kidding).

I have shared room costs with a friend, in fact, I shared a room with KarenNY. No problems and we had a blast.

We had met before and travelled together before, though :)

I hope that you can work out a way to still make your trip. I would be disappointed too :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter