• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Thinking of an Alaska Cruise in 2018 (Summer)

eleda72

Mouseketeer
Hello!
This is actually the first time we have been thinking of an cruise (we have never been on a cruise before)
My husband will be celebrating his 50`th birthday next year, and he has always dreamed to go to Alaska.
So... I am thinking, maybe a Disney Cruise in Alaska would be fun?
I really need some tips and input on everything and would love to hear about what others who have done the cruise.
We live in Norway, and we have been to WDW a lot of times...
LOVE DISNEY :)

From Adèle Marie

We just returned a week ago and it was wonderful. The scenery was breathtaking, the ship, cast members, and food were awesome. If you are able, I would definately go and we are even considering doing this cruise again in a few years.

Sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate his birthday! If you love all things Disney, you should love the cruise as well!

Our first cruise was the Disney Wonder to Alaska last summer (family of 4, my girls were 12 and 16 at the time). We have our second cruise booked for next summer--the Northern European one. I have my trip report in my signature if you want to see what my family did for our Alaskan cruise. There are plenty of trip reports out there for Alaska--I found it a big help to read them when deciding what we'd want to do!

Tips:
While some people will say that a verandah is a must for Alaska, we were very happy in our deck 2 oceanview room. A verandah would have cost us $3,000 USD more and it was not worth that! Whenever we wanted to be outside, we'd usually go to deck 4 or up to deck 9/10 to see the scenery. The departure port of Vancouver is worth visiting for a couple of days before or after the cruise--there is a lot to see there! Excursions can be costly depending on the type you choose--some people want to do floatplanes, helicopters onto glaciers, etc--those would be the costliest excursions. Some people want to do whale watches (usually out of Juneau). I tried to pick a mix of activities for our family that we'd all like...we can do whale watches in our own state, so no need for us to do that. The kids wanted to do something with the sled dogs, I wanted to go visit Mendenhall Glacier, and we wanted to learn more about native cultures. Our excursions were reasonably priced, and we went with outside vendors for 2 out of the 3 ports. Our best excursion we booked ahead of time with Chilkoot Charters in Skagway--bus ride up to the Yukon territory with multiple photo stops, long stop at Caribou Crossing Trading post for lunch/puppies/Dogcart ride!, then the White Pass scenic railroad train back to Skagway. Worth every penny!

I would definitely recommend the DCL Alaska cruise. There are a lot of trip reports from those who have taken an Alaskan cruise and you get a lot of ideas from them on excursions, places to stay, etc.

Hello again :)
Thank you so much for the information....
This sounds great and I will read more of the trip reports tomorrow.
We have never been to either Canada or Alaska, so I am crossing my fingers that we would be able to take this trip next year.
Actually, it has been my husbands dream to go to Alaska... and I have been saying "No" until this summer.
I was searching for my ancestors who emigrated to USA and found one family in Alaska..
Startet looking at pictures... and "WOW"
We ALL LOVE DISNEY, and dd and I was in Orlando this June for 10 days. (I think we have been there 11 times since 2001)
So, maybe this would be our chance to see more than "just" Orlando :)

Adèle Marie

we're going on the 9-3-18 Alaska cruise. so excited. this will be our 5th Disney cruise-but 1st one outside the Caribbean. Alaska has been on our bucket list for a while and making it happen. I think you will love it. once you go once you won't be able to stop.

If you opt for a verandah, as we had, they are great for viewing the non-stop shoreline, mountains, streams and critters. However, don't get 8006, because the smoking section is next deck up and forward and, during the glacier day, when it was dead calm, we had smoke coming down on us to a point we reported it to DCL and they roped off the railing but people could still use the tables and chairs slightly farther back. Why they don't put those people at the back of the ship is beyond me. FYI

Thoughts....
  • which month? May to July is dry, August starts to get wet and September is discounted for storm chasers. http://usclimatedata.com/climate.php?location=USAK0225
  • how important is seeing a glacier? They say Glacier Bay offers the best experience... you will need to look at other cruise lines like Holland America and Princess for the most sailings. Or do you prefer to see glacial extinction.... Even with pixie dust.... Sawyer is so tiny in Tracy Arm.

Sawyer is so tiny in Tracy Arm.

I totally believe you that Glacier Bay is the best, but it seems like DCL almost always does Endicott (Dawes Glacier) now. I think they went to Tracy that one week when Endicott had a landslide or something, but we were on after that and they went back to Endicott. Still only one glacier, but it didn't seem tiny (although, admittedly, my experience is limited).

Since you are coming from a long ways for this cruise, consider the 9 night cruise!! Hubbard Glacier was a highlight!!

Vancouver is an interesting city - lots to see and do. If you have time - Victoria (on Vancouver Island) is a lovely city and worth spending time in as well.

We were very happy with out porthole room on deck 2 (as usual). I did see a killer whale one evening while changing for dinner.

If you are interested in seeing the wildlife - the "smaller" excursions would be better - in Ketichikan (I think) there was an excursion where you went out on two person boats - and got up close to the shore - I visited with several people that did this and they saw a LOT.

We have done canoeing & kayaking and saw a lot of wildlife. We have taken a seaplane and flown over glaciers. Train up to the Yukon, sled dog summer camp, Misty Fjord by boat, zip lines, glaciers and whale watching on our trips to Alaska - I don't think that you can go wrong with this trip.

and the DCL crew is awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter