Thinking about moving our trip up to February

DisneyFirstTimer10

DIS Veteran
Tell me all about the first week in February (5-12th)

Any big competitions during this time frame?

I know the weather can range anywhere from 40s-80s

Crowds are lower, prices cheaper....

sounds pretty good to me

or- would you stay with original plans of going May 7-14th?

Really Robo? Thats great to hear- you always gave me great advice a few months ago and it paid off on our trip in May!

I know parks close earlier- making parades and fireworks early- for most I assume thats a bad thing but with two little ones it will actually work out better for us I think

It all depends on the deals hopefully that will be released, and how much I can save by then!

february is great! that's a great week, value season, good weather, and like you said low crowds! the mardi gras crowds will fall on 1st week of march so your good with that too. go for it!

We went the first week of Feb this year and it was a great trip! I'd go back in Feb. Never been in May, so I can't speak to that time of year. Have a great trip whichever you decide!

We went 2 years ago and we had the best time...lines was very low and weather was really great except the last day where it got cold (around 50's) but the rest of the week was perfect (mid 70's).
We have gone 2nd and 3rd week of May and we enjoyed that time period too but the crowds was a little bit more than February.

This was one of my least fave trips to Disney because of the cold temps. We were there the first week in February 2010 and it really was a very cold trip. Lines were shorter, but it was not the same. You couldn't even go swimming it was that cold!

This was one of my least fave trips to Disney because of the cold temps. We were there the first week in February 2010 and it really was a very cold trip. Lines were shorter, but it was not the same. You couldn't even go swimming it was that cold!

Just know that, like the weather everywhere, it can vary greatly at WDW.

2009 and 2010's low temps were not typical.

The average normal lows in early Feb. hit at about 50 degrees F.
The daytime highs at that time usually run in the low to mid 70's.

Again, you just never know.

hmmm like in May- never know how much rain there will be....

decisions decisions..........

February is so much closer lol :)

february is great! that's a great week, value season, good weather, and like you said low crowds! the mardi gras crowds will fall on 1st week of march so your good with that too. go for it!
Just curious - what about Mardi Gras makes the first week of March a good choice too? We are thinking about March 5 - 12, 2011 as it is our children's break from school.

We have always loved February trips, and are OK with the unpredictable weather. We've usually had at least one day of highs in the 80s (even when the trip started out with highs in the low 60s and lows in the 40s.) Very uncrowded. We're up early with three boys, so we're at rope drop and it's fine if the parks are not pen late.

Wow! Thank you all so much for your opinions and advice. February is looking better and better (and closer and closer) :)

We too are early risers (my ds was up by 6am at the latest every day for our May trip)- so no problem with early park closing-

Getting excited.....

We went in mid february (about 5 years ago) and it was not very crowded. The crowd level was extremely pleasant. However, weather ended up being hotter than normal for 2 days of our trip. I would say between 85 and 90 degrees. However, I have noticed a trend of the last two weeks of february being more like spring like weather, whereas the first two weeks of Feb are much more like winter.

We visited from February 7-14 in 2006 and then this year from the February 2-11. This year the weather was definitely colder (but I've heard this Jan-Feb were unseasonably cold for Florida). I'm from Canada so I can handle the cold but a few of our days were only high 40's so it was quite cold (wore hats a couple of days).

Crowds were definitely much higher in 2010 then they were in 2006, I assume due to the 4/3-5/2 deal they had going on but overall the crowds were great. Longest waits were 40 minutes for rides like Soaring, Test Track and 70 for TSM but with fastpasses and hitting rope drops we never waited more than 15 minutes for anything.

There were a few cheerleading groups but that was mostly an issue at DHS.

I think February is a great time to go but I've never been in May.

Wow! Thank you all so much for your opinions and advice. February is looking better and better (and closer and closer) :)

We too are early risers (my ds was up by 6am at the latest every day for our May trip)- so no problem with early park closing-

Getting excited.....

Then I would definitely suggest February! We're in that 6am-at-the-latest crowd, too - especially with our youngest. We usually go in the first week or so of February, so it's still value season - resort rates are so much better then, and we miss the Presidents' Day crowds.

I'm going to be the lone dissenter.
I usually go in October, and last year decided to try February because friends were going then. I expected the cool weather, but I also expected smaller crowds. There were alot of large tour groups and the lines were far longer than I expected..(for instance TOT had a 60 minute wait when we never saw more than 20 minutes in October). Mind you, I do not use Touring Plans to figure out the best park to visit; that may have helped but it's just not my style.
Conversely, I also went this past week...I expected June to be uncomfortably crowded and the lines painfully long...but they weren't! In fact, I really, really liked it.
Go figure :confused3, I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter