Thinking about doing just one night to attend HHN, a few quick questions please?

Carnut12

Earning My Ears
My wife and I are taking a 6 day Vacation to Florida, we are staying in Hollywood at a Hilton Resort on the Ocean, it is our 15 year Anniversary so my parents are watching my kids. This is about a 3 hour drive from Universal.

Just recently my wife sent me the HHN info and asked how far it was from where we are staying, we are AP Holders and are already planning to go back with the Kids in February for 2-3days, she was wondering if we might want to go for a night while we are down that way. We were thinking of driving up and spending one night (October 10 which is a Wednesday so I am assuming it will not be as busy as the other HHN nights) to attend the HHN and then maybe do a half day the next day in the Park.

Here are my questions-
1. For those that have attended do you think it is worth the drive each way to attend HHN?
2. Is there any benefit to staying at a Universal Resort when going to the HHN? I could book the Doubletree with points and save some cash, but if there is a benefit I would be open to staying there, we intend to do so in February for the Express Pass and convenience.
3. Is one night enough? I can not really stay more then one, should I pay the extra for the Express HHN passes?

Any advice for those that have attended would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!!

is the 3 hr drive worth it? ::yes::definitely yes - if you like scary stuff, cool effects and great people watching. I don't think there's anything like HHN anywhere in the US. We live about 3.5 hrs away and we happily drive there for it.

Be aware October 11th is a school holiday for several counties around Orlando, so that usually makes the night before quite a bit more crowded.

It's still probably worth doing, with the lineup this year Express or the "RIP Tour" (even better than express, since express only guarantees half the wait of the regular line) is almost necessary if you can only do one night.

Not many rooms available for the 3 hotels that includes the free ep if you want to stay there instead of offsite

So book now or soon

If you decide to do hhn, be in the park before 5 so you can stay in one of the holding areas

You will be able to have a head start for the houses
Once the outside lines are allowed into the parks, lines form quickly for the houses

I think everyone should celebrate their 15th anniversary with a night at hhn

It is absolutely worth it! I startle easily, and normally don't like haunted houses - I don't watch horror movies. Having said that, my adult son and I happened to be there one year and decided not to do it because of me. Then, upon checking into our hotel, they informed us that there were still tickets available. DS got that wistful look, like wishing, and I'm a huge sucker, so I said ,"yeah, take my money". Then he told us a bit about the extra charge for express pass, and what it would do for us (I had already read a lot about it so I knew). Well, please take more of my money, since extra special is what I'm about. "Bring on the nightmares!", was all I could think. Turned out to be THE highlight of the trip. I cannot say enough great things about it, and yes, I was scared the whole time, but that is so well done! Also, glad we got the express pass, we did a few haunted houses in the regular lines at the beginning while they were short, then got to use the pass the rest of the evening. That place gets packed, so WORTH IT. Loved it so much, we did it again the next year, and will always do it if we are anywhere near Orlando.

Here are my questions-
1. For those that have attended do you think it is worth the drive each way to attend HHN?
2. Is there any benefit to staying at a Universal Resort when going to the HHN? I could book the Doubletree with points and save some cash, but if there is a benefit I would be open to staying there, we intend to do so in February for the Express Pass and convenience.
3. Is one night enough? I can not really stay more then one, should I pay the extra for the Express HHN passes?

Any advice for those that have attended would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!!
1 - people fly in from all of the country mostly for this ( some from outside the US as well) - so a three hour drive seems resonable
2 - There is an special line to get in - but that is about it - the express pass that you get with the hotel is not good for HHN. Being on property is just easier IMO
3 - if you are only doing one night then you are best to get the EP your more likely to see everything and gives you a bit more time to check out the scare zones etc...

1 - Yes, especially if you've never been and the house themes this year appeal to you.

2 - Not really, other than proximity. As mentioned, you'd have EP for your park day the next day if you stayed at one of the 3 deluxe hotels but that same EP does not work at HHN.

3 - One night can be enough IF you pay extra for the express passes for HHN. We are going the last week of October and staying at WDW, but have decided to Uber over to Universal to do HHN for one night. We have purchased EP to maximize our time and know from previous experience how valuable it is. Last time, we got through everything with time to spare.

PP mentions that if you enter the park before closing, you can wait in a holding area. Since you have APs, it would be of no extra cost to you to do this. I would recommend it as well. We did this last time, and we got a jump on two of the houses, putting us ahead of the crowd. We were able to use the standby line for these houses which meant we had the option to return to these houses for a second walk through later on in the night using our EPs.

Thank you all, my wife doesn’t like scary movies AT ALL, but I’m pretty sure we are going to check this out!!! It sounds like she is up for it.

Thank you all, my wife doesn’t like scary movies AT ALL, but I’m pretty sure we are going to check this out!!! It sounds like she is up for it.

I hate horror movies and being scared! I went three years ago because my sons wanted to go and I didn't want to wimp out. I had a lot of fun! and this will be my 3rd year attending HHN!

Ugh - such a dilemma for me. I really don't have the extra $ right now for the express passes. Only reason we are in Florida is for a conference and we sprung for a short cruise after. I wanted to do something one evening and this sounded good but it sounds like it will be a lot of lines if we don't have express. I know we don't want to stand in hour long lines for the haunted houses and I am not good in crazy crowds. Are the scare zones packed? Are rides open?

I hate horror movies and being scared! I went three years ago because my sons wanted to go and I didn't want to wimp out. I had a lot of fun! and this will be my 3rd year attending HHN!
I bet you lost a lot of weight that night but it was well worth it to do hhn with your boys!

FWIW, the line moves continuously through the house. Its not like local haunted houses where they send you in one group at a time. So, IMO, it makes it less scary since you have a line of people in front of you and a line of people behind you that is continuously moving. Often, the scare actors will jump out in front of you or behind you.

Are the scare zones packed? Are rides open?

Scare zones are walk through areas in the normal walking paths of Universal. I don't find them anymore packed than I would walking through them during the day. People seem to stop for a minute to check it out then keep moving. And yes, rides are open. I don't recall if its all rides, but the major attractions are open.

Some past scare zones had the other guests to be an issue and not the scare actor

You’ll see some guests scream and carry on, then they run into other guests in the park and sometimes peeps are knocked down in the scare zones

I am always watching the people in these areas more so than the SA
Lol

Same thing in the houses
Peeps might take a step back in a house when they walk thru and get startled

I’ve had many strangers grab me around the waist going thru the houses
They thought I was in their group
Lol

Once you are in the house just keep walking behind the person in front of you

If peeps stop while in the Conga house line, TM will yell “keep moving” and Lloyd do

Do the houses more than once as it could be a different experience

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter