Things you should know about wheeling at Disney

If he's being pushed, then you won't have any problems - they only arise if you're trying to push yourself in a chair. Just make sure he has the poncho tucked all around him and that there are no trailing edges that could get caught in the wheels. As long as he's sitting on the back of the poncho the pooling won't matter, as all the water will go underneath it, not onto his clothes. If you have a spare one, you could also wrap one around his lower legs to stop them getting wet, but you'll have to be extra careful about trailing edges then (I've caught a poncho in the front wheels before and it takes ages to untangle everything).

Good luck keeping dry! :thumbsup2

If he's being pushed, then you won't have any problems - they only arise if you're trying to push yourself in a chair. Just make sure he has the poncho tucked all around him and that there are no trailing edges that could get caught in the wheels. As long as he's sitting on the back of the poncho the pooling won't matter, as all the water will go underneath it, not onto his clothes. If you have a spare one, you could also wrap one around his lower legs to stop them getting wet, but you'll have to be extra careful about trailing edges then (I've caught a poncho in the front wheels before and it takes ages to untangle everything).

Good luck keeping dry! :thumbsup2

Thanks, actually I think one "one size fits all" poncho will cover him and his chair LOL :thumbsup2 Karen

As a wheelchair user I thought I'd chime in. For me I like the poncho to cover the entire wheelchair including the handle bars in the back. When you sit on the poncho the rain goes down the back of your chair and when it stops raining the back and cushion are now soaked. I actually manage to push my wheelchair while wearing a poncho. I'm moving at about half speed but that's really close to the normal walking speed of people at WDW especially in the rain. The only problem I have with it is my feet get wet, but then that happens to people who walk in the rain too.

Here's a quick picture I took to show how I wear it. I had plenty of time to set the camera with a 10 second delay then move away and position myself to take the picture. You can move with a poncho on if you're a full time wheelchair user.
Poncho.jpg

E.T.A.
I just reread my post and realized the "full time wheelchair user" remark might be offensive to some. I really meant that I have no problem using a poncho but of course I can't speak for how easy/hard it would be for others.

If it rains and I am in my ECV I will use a poncho to cover my body with the front over the handlebars to keep the control system dry and the back will go over the seat. Because of the way I sit I stay almost completely dry.

Now all I need to do is get windshield wipers for my glasses.

Cheshire if you find the wipers; give me a heads up. ;)

A quick question for you and Bill (and others with experience); those poncho's, are that the one that come down to about knee-heigth if you were standing or more like ankle-heigth? In my manual I could manage without, thanks to big umbrella's and needing to be pushed anyway, but better not try that one with a pwc. I don't mind getting soaked myself and having to change too bad, but my chair is done with normall fabric so that would mean the chair being soaked all day. And if there's one thing I do mind it's sitting on a soaked anything. Brrr. So at the moment I'm trying to learn as much as I can within the next 14 days and the special wc-rainwear is just way too expensive if you ask me (about $135,- overhere, I mean; come on!)

Madenon - The important thing, which you can see in Bill's photo and what I mentioned in my post is when you are seated the poncho not only covers your upper body, but will be over the seat back and it comes down far enough on the sides that the seat will not get wet.It will also cover any sensitive electronics, such as the control box.

To other things to possbily consider. One is to get flexible "slipcovers" to go over the seat and back in case of inclement weather for additional protection. The other is to carry a small plastic shower cap to go over the control box.

Cheshire if you find the wipers; give me a heads up. ;)

I usually add a baseball cap under the poncho. The bill of the cap helps keep the rain off of my face.

A quick question for you and Bill (and others with experience); those poncho's, are that the one that come down to about knee-heigth if you were standing or more like ankle-heigth?

The poncho I use is a standard WDW Mickey poncho. I'm not sure of the length but I bet someone else here can chime in with how long it is for them.

Madenon, I see you'll be going down to WDW in 2 weeks! I'll be there staying at CSR from 8/30-9/9 so if you see me say Hi!

Hmm, a cap might be an idea. I rather hate them (they keep irritating me), but while at WDW it's a better/easier fix than dragging along cloths for all of the polishing. Would cut down on one souvenir allready, my dad wears them every day and loves them.

Looks like I'll go the poncho-way. From what I can tell from Bill's pic and Cheshire's experience, there should be no problem in getting one big enough to cover both me and the most important parts of the chair. And if they're too small for that overhere (we still tend to make "one size fits all" in a size 10/12 max. :sad2: ), I can very easily pick one up at WDW.

I'll be at CBR from 9-4/9-12. I'll be sure to say hi if I role into you. I'm starting to get that "a kid can't stand the wait and is bouncing allover the place in excitement"-thing going on. Oh well, with my 27 years of age I look just like a 5 year old and get away with it. :lmao:

Thnx for the tip Chesire. I read about the showercap on the DIS earlier, it was one of those "geez, could it really be thát simple!? Gotta buy me a good supply of them, love the idea!". It also made me go "lightbulb moment here" myself. Buy another showercap, put some extra protective stuff in the showercap and tape it shut over my control box for extra protection during the flight.

Bill, thank you for correcting me (complete with helpful and informative pictures :) )! I must confess, last time I went to the World I was still mobile enough to be using a rental (a WDW tank) and didn't have the arm strength to push myself much, so my post was more guess work than anything else :blush:. Now that I know it can work, I'll give it a go when I'm there next month. Woohoo, a science experiment :rotfl: !

If it rains and I am in my ECV I will use a poncho to cover my body with the front over the handlebars to keep the control system dry and the back will go over the seat. Because of the way I sit I stay almost completely dry.

Now all I need to do is get windshield wipers for my glasses.

Hi,
here in the UK they sell something called "rainaway" which stops your glasses fogging up.It also turns the rain into bigger droplets so you can see better.
they sell it online or in opticians.
do you have anything similar in the U.S?

Sue, next time you're updating the FAQ, could you please put a link to this in there? I think there's some really useful tips that I could have used when I first stared wheeling Disney. Thank you! :goodvibes

In the US it's called RainX - good thought! We have it for our auto windshields but I never thought of my glasses. I've always opted for the large billed hat under my poncho.

Bill, I'll keep my eyes open for you! We'll be at AKL from 9/1 - 9/1 - can't wait can't wait can't WAIT!

I want to thank you all for the helpful hints and tips. I will keep checking back for more. I new to the world of the wheelchair and ECV and while still mobile will have to use an ECV pretty much full time for the Ladies Meet in Nov. Since I will be on my own (except for my DIS friends) I am a bit worried about it. This will be first time ECVing in the World.

I was thinking about bringing my Waterproof Stroller cover to cover the rental ECV if I leave it outside a ride or restaurant and it looks like rain. Is this practical? Or should I just cover it with a cheap poncho?

I am so glad you told me to bring a towel to cover the seat, I would be miserable in the heat. Any more tips would be appreciated. Especially since it will be my first time and I will be on my own. I am really worried about the busses. I am a bad driver! So far I have taken out several racks of clothes and food at Walmart and Target. I am terrified I am going to run over people or get stuck in places.

Sue, next time you're updating the FAQ, could you please put a link to this in there? I think there's some really useful tips that I could have used when I first stared wheeling Disney. Thank you! :goodvibes
::yes::
I was planning to once it hit a bit more than 3 pages.
So, it will get a link now.

Quick wheelchair question: My brother recently had a knee replacement and his dr. advised him to use a wheelchair at all times in WDW. However, he can walk short distances. Does he have to bring the chair in lines or can it be left somewhere, like in stroller parking, if the line is short? Also, can he fold it up to bring it on the bus? He doesn't want to stay in it on the buses and take up the space that a full-time wheelchair user might need.

This is all new to us, he does not use a wheelchair at home and will be renting one from an offsite company just for the trip. This thread is very informative, thank you guys so much for posting it! Any practical information about actually using a chair in WDW would be so helpful for us wheelchair newbies.

ETA: Also, if you have any tips for the wheelchair pusher that would be great. None of us have ever had to push a chair before and we're not sure how hard it's going to be to push my 6'4" brother around all day!

Regarding the parade areas and the lines, does my brother have to sit by himself in the parade area and go through the line alone in his chair, or can he bring someone with him? Can he bring more than just the pusher? We are a group of 7 (2 kids) so I don't expect that we can all go together with him.

Does he have to bring the chair in lines or can it be left somewhere, like in stroller parking, if the line is short?Also, can he fold it up to bring it on the bus? He doesn't want to stay in it on the buses and take up the space that a full-time wheelchair user might need.
Wheelchairs can be parked in the stroller area, if he doesn't want to use it in line. There are some things in the disABILITIES FAQs thread that will be helpful to you. One link goes to this thread about boarding rides for someone who might need more time. There are some things to think about with the rides that have moving walkways that are discussed on that thread.

The FAQs thread also has information about riding the buses with a wheelchair or ECV. A folded wheelchair can be brought on board, but many of the bus drivers will still want to put it in the wheelchair spot and tie it down (those wheelchairs are heavy). Even if you plan to fold it, it is easiest to still bring it thru the back door.
ETA: Also, if you have any tips for the wheelchair pusher that would be great. None of us have ever had to push a chair before and we're not sure how hard it's going to be to push my 6'4" brother around all day!
The main wheelchair pusher may want to get some gloves (the kind that serious bikers or weight lifters use). That helps protect against blisters.
If he is at all fit, he should be able to do some pushing himself, which will help too.

At MK, there is a large hill going downhill from Fantasyland toward the Haunted Mansion area, so it's best to go from Fantasyland to the HM, not the other way around.
In WS at Epcot, there is a hill that goes uphill from France toward the middle of the bridge leading to the UK. Then the hill goes downhill toward the UK.

Some of the hills are quite steep and you don't want to get the wheelchair going too fast - they can get away from you pretty quickly.
Regarding the parade areas and the lines, does my brother have to sit by himself in the parade area and go through the line alone in his chair, or can he bring someone with him? Can he bring more than just the pusher? We are a group of 7 (2 kids) so I don't expect that we can all go together with him.
That's kind of variable, depending on how busy it is. A 'usual' wheelchair party is considered to be 5 people plus the person using the wheelchair. With 2 kids, they would usually allow you all to stay (only one person over). But, if it's really busy, they may limit the number of people allowed in the wheelchair viewing area for parades.

Great thread... you guys are the greatest. I'm going to cut & paste a lot of these tips. I broke my ankle last week and will be going to WDW, DCL and Universal (the Triple Crown!) next week... me, my crutches, my cast & my wife.

One is to get flexible "slipcovers" to go over the seat and back in case of inclement weather for additional protection.
Cheshire Figment, where would I look for something to use as slipcovers? It occurs to me that the ECV might get rained on while I'm in a ride or something, and it wouldn't be fun to come back to a wet scooter.

The main wheelchair pusher may want to get some gloves (the kind that serious bikers or weight lifters use). That helps protect against blisters.

I'll be using a non-powered chair on board the Wonder and an ECV in the parks (along with crutches), and I have both types of gloves - I lift AND I ride (which is how I broke my ankle, come to think of it...) a BMW. Any thoughts on which would be more useful - the workout gloves with padded palms and the wrist support, or the deerskin riding gloves, with even shorter fingers and the back of the hand with a cutout (so it's cooler to wear)?

I was thinking that the lifting gloves would be better when I'm on my crutches, but the riding gloves would be cooler, so... Which would be better to use for what? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks - it's less than 4 days til departure, and I'm getting excited... and nervous, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter