Things to do in line

kenny

DIS Veteran
leave Thursday. Looking for ideas of things to do in line with 5 & 10 yo dd's to pass the time

Thx

what about madlibs? those are usually good and can be funnhy - you can theme them too - like teverything has to be Cinderella themed or Frozen themed when they give you words to fill in, etc...

DH and I did madlibs while in line and waiting on shows to start - people around us started throwing in words too - so it gives everyone something to do :)

If you have a smart phone, download the heads up app. You put the phone on your forehead, it loads a word, and the other members try to get you to say the word. You see how many you can get before time runs out...

^ It seemed like everyone was playing HeadsUp on my trip to DLR in November. I had never seen it before. Apparently you can get Disney packs for it too as we watched so many groups playing with them. It's really fun!

I Spy is always a good one, there's a Disney trivia app, and my kids have gotten hooked on "I'm going on a trip..." (You start with A, then work your way through the alphabet, but you have to repeat the previous things; ie: I'm going on a trip and I'm taking apples, balloons....and then you add on a "C" word and so on. It's a fun memory game.)

I bring my Nintendo 3DS with me to the parks, so if I'm caught in a line I'll check on my StreetPass tags that I've acquired during the day.

I usually dole out snacks while we're waiting (obviously not every time).

Also I have brought packs of pipe cleaners in different colors and my kids make random things. Have done the same with glow bracelets at night.

Tour books to talk about what else we have planned. I can't remember which book it was, but it had all kinds of interesting facts. Worked better for my older two.

We play I Spy as well.

I bring my Nintendo 3DS with me to the parks, so if I'm caught in a line I'll check on my StreetPass tags that I've acquired during the day.

Wow I've never thought about doing this! Do you get a lot of connections with people in the parks? I figured no one would bring that on rides but now I'm tempted lol. I never get to use street pass living in the suburbs.

If you have a smart phone, download the heads up app. You put the phone on your forehead, it loads a word, and the other members try to get you to say the word. You see how many you can get before time runs out...

Noticed people doing this as we walked by the standby line for Soarin over the weekend. If you're waiting in that line, it did look like a fun way to fill the time!

Honestly, I just talk to my kids though. Using FP+ and planning our day, we're never in line very long. There's not much of a need to bring supplies to keep them busy.

We bought $1 travel coloring packs from Walmart (frozen themed) super small coloring book and crayons...

DD also has a leap pad with preloaded games...

I am not going to worry about it this trip (my duo are 13 and we are going with friends) but when they were 4 I bought some small paper doll type sticker books. They were easy to transport and took a while to peel the stickers/stick the stickers/move the stickers around. I especially remember these helping while we were waiting for Crush.

There are 2 books I travel to disney with...hidden magic of disney world and "lots to do in line". The first one is all trivia and info about rides and shows and stuff. It's how I found out about the key under the mat at Muppets. The second one is all kinds of questions, "scavenger" hunts and such. My friends and I are all 30-40 years old and we do that and the person that gets to most at the end of the day we chip in and buy a treat for. Granted we are all super disney nerds anyway

One of the best suggestions I say was "pipe cleaners" or whatever they call those fuzzy sticks these days. You can get a package of them and then spend time in line just twisting them into different shapes. Also, another "old school" thing is a box of paper clips. Thread them all together while in line. Once you have them threaded, unthread them. Cost for each of these in extremely minimal and very little space taken up in a bag or pocket. Plus, gives a chance for people to talk while they do this AND, you can hand out extras to others and make friends in line.

Last edited:
Wow I've never thought about doing this! Do you get a lot of connections with people in the parks? I figured no one would bring that on rides but now I'm tempted lol. I never get to use street pass living in the suburbs.
I usually pick up about 90-100 StreetPass tags when I'm on a 4 day trip to the World.

When my DD was younger, she had a little note pad and pencil and surveyed everyone in our group about many different things--favorite dessert, favorite Disney character, favorite ride, etc. We were usually in line with a big group, so it took some time. Another year, she downloaded tons of lists for us to guess--top 10 Disney films, top 10 songs of the 90's, etc. People around us started answering too.

The other ideas on this thread are great too!

We do snacks as others have written. Also hand games like numbers, Miss Mary Mack ... it's really noticeable that my oldest who is now 14 learned these in school, whereas my younger two never saw them there and learned them from us, but they are still fun!

we're 2 adults, and we played heads up lots on our last trip! it's a great way to pass time in line/waiting for a bus/whatever else. just make sure to keep an eye on your battery, or bring a portable charger, especially if you're using your phone for photos or to access MDE.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter