Things I wish I knew…

springtime

Earning My Ears
I am usually a researcher for trips, and lay out our entire days. For some reason I was under the impression that a Universal vacay took less planning than a Disney trip, and went with the idea to go with the flow. I found out I am not a go with the flow person. While we had a great time at Universal (staying at Royal Pacific), there are a few things I wish I had known.

1. Lanyards. Coming off a recent Disney vacation, I cannot express enough how much easier it was to have a Magic Band. Going into the park, they scan your ticket. Opening a locker, you need to scan your ticket or hotel card. Riding express pass, scan your hotel card. Hogwarts Express, scan your ticket THEN your hotel card. Early entry, you need your ticket THEN your hotel card. I was constantly digging for one or the other throughout the day. I wish we had a lanyard for each member of my family. Of course, you can buy them, bust most people have a lanyard lying around at home.

2.Make your e-ticket easily accessible. I first had it on my email, took too long to find. Then took screen shots and saved to photos, same problem. Finally found saving it to my Notes was the easiest way to access them.

3. Signage is terrible. Could not, for the life of us, find the tiny pathway with the tiny sign in the dark to our hotel. Familiarize yourself with the park layout and its relation to your hotel. Maps are not freely available throughout the resort, and I found the map on my phone difficult to navigate.

4. Limited workers. I am not sure if it is just because of the pandemic, but we really had to search to find people to help or ask questions. More than once we received completely wrong answers that led us astray. Again, very different from Disney where I felt there were people everywhere and they were all well-versed in park information.

5. Your best help is a person with a radio. In line for the Velocicoaster there was a large group that was clearly line jumping, and not just one person. We spoke to two workers who did nothing, and finally left the line out of frustration. Spoke to another employee in another line who said that employees are not empowered to do much, the person to speak to is the one with the radio.

6. Premier resort was worth it. We really debated staying at a premier resort. We are rarely in the hotel and we thought we were there during an off week. We don’t need fancy amenities, so I worried it would be a waste. The parks were crowded and the lines were longer than expected, even on an off week. We could barely move in Hogsmead. The Express pass was worth its weight in gold, and the ability to walk to the park was a huge plus (once we found the sign). If you can afford it, totally worth the extra expense

7.Hagrids Magical Motorbike Adventure and early entry. I knew it was not available for early entry, but figure we would hop in line as soon as we saw one forming. Got to Hogsmead at 8:15 and there was no line. Took 15 minutes to cast some spells. Went back to get in line and barriers had materialized out of thin air, and people were wrapped back through Poseidon’s Fury set. No idea how they got those barriers up so fast, but be warned that things can change in an instant. Still only waited 45 minutes, but it was a surprise.

8.Bilge Rat Ride…you will be soaked. My poncho was no match for that ride. I made the rookie mistake of not sitting on the poncho, and water came up over the sides to soak me, You cannot take off your shoes either, so if you don’t want soaking wet feet, bring an extra pair. My kids were drier, but they were able to tuck their legs under their ponchos. Super fun water ride, but you will not be just a little wet.

Last edited:
My experience was just opposite of yours
I had issues with Disney but still made the best of it

repeated troubles with the magic band last year but sometimes those things just happen

My first visit to Disney was back in the early stage about second year it opened…. Lots of developments over the years

Now that you have done the Darkside, you will be a pro when you go back
You will know the system and have less issues

Your second visit to UO will be more relaxed for you!

Doing a new park is always overwhelming the first visit bwith each future visit, you will be a pro with loads of info to help others

That was funny and interesting. My pet peeve with "the other Park" is that their maps - if you can find one - are not very clear. We had trouble trying to get from one place to the other, so we did a lot of walking for nothing. We did find a place to watch the folks going through the water ride - that was way better than going through it ourselves! :)

I think the major difference is that I did not feel that I needed to plan everything in advance. At the other park, when they had fast passes, I had to be very familiar with the parks to make a plan in advance. There were also a lot less websites extolling the importance of preplanning. I think the idea that I needed less advance planning made me less familiar with the park layouts. Lots of wandering, no maps, and few people to ask was frustrating. I think my takeaway is that pre-planning saves a lot of headaches, no matter where you go.

Last edited:

There is a difference between being a UO veteran who knows the ins-and-outs, and having to plan out where you are going to eat 6 months in advance, or what order you are going to do rides when the park is crowded.

Hagrids has always been the exception to the "no planning needed" concept, as it fills up quickly in the morning. The change to no-EE is pretty recent, so it is not widely understood how to deal with that...

3. Signage is terrible. Could not, for the life of us, find the tiny pathway with the tiny sign in the dark to our hotel. Familiarize yourself with the park layout and its relation to your hotel. Maps are not freely available throughout the resort, and I found the map on my phone difficult to navigate.
We couldn't find the turn off to RPR on our first time walking back to the resort (at night). HRH and PBH are almost impossible to miss from the path, so no issues with those.

6. Premier resort was worth it. We really debated staying at a premier resort. We are rarely in the hotel and we thought we were there during an off week. We don’t need fancy amenities, so I worried it would be a waste. The parks were crowded and the lines were longer than expected, even on an off week. We could barely move in Hogsmead. The Express pass was worth its weight in gold, and the ability to walk to the park was a huge plus (once we found the sign). If you can afford it, totally worth the extra expense
To us, the deluxe resorts has been one of the most important parts of making UO one of our favorite places to visit. While EPs are the biggest perk, being able to quickly walk from HRH/RPR is great. The boat to PBH is our favorite way to travel, especially at night. And while we also don't spend much time in the rooms, the nicer rooms with better bedding is welcome after a long day walking in the parks.

That said, the recent increases in room prices and reduced availability of APH rates will definitely affect our renewal decision us once our annual passes run out...

I’m the planner and navigator for my fam too. Man you took a little bit of a beating here and there, huh? I can totally 100% relate to those micro frustrations that can eat away at the day. In all truth I’m usually the one that’s most happiest to be home after these vacations haha! But agree with others we all do better the next time around.

My experience was just opposite of yours
I had issues with Disney but still made the best of it

repeated troubles with the magic band last year but sometimes those things just happen

My first visit to Disney was back in the early stage about second year it opened…. Lots of developments over the years

Now that you have done the Darkside, you will be a pro when you go back
You will know the system and have less issues

Your second visit to UO will be more relaxed for you!

Doing a new park is always overwhelming the first visit bwith each future visit, you will be a pro with loads of info to help others

I agree. Our first visit, we didn't know about the lanyards either. So, after fumbling for our tickets a few times, we just bought a couple. That really made life easier. All the other things mentioned didn't happen to us, but everyone has different experiences. I love Universal and can't wait to get back!

Even as a UO veteran I still learn things. Last trip it took me a couple of tries to find the shortcut through the HRH parking lot when walking from PBR to parks.

I use a waterproof case for my cards at VB, but have never bothered with a lanyard at the other parks. Pockets or a convenient place in my purse work fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter