Things for teenagers to do at DVC resorts

DVCSunDevil

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone! We have our 1st DVC trip coming up in April. We will be staying at BLT, Poly, AKV and BCV. We have two mid-teen daughters and will only be at the Monday night for Magic Kingdom After Dark. The rest of the time will be spent at the resorts and Disney Springs. Does anyone have any suggestions for activities that teenagers would enjoy at the different resorts (aka activities that would keep them from complaining)? Thank you!

The activities change based on the resort and day of the week. Tons to do at AKV (my home resort) but every resort has a schedule of daily events they post and give you when you check in. Also check the club house at each resort as they may have activities that they would really like.

The activities change based on the resort and day of the week. Tons to do at AKV (my home resort) but every resort has a schedule of daily events they post and give you when you check in. Also check the club house at each resort as they may have activities that they would really like.
Great...thank you! I'm sure depending on weather we will be at the pools (especially BCV), but it is always good to plan ahead :)

BLT and AKV (Kidani) have community halls. They can do crafts there (some are upcharge like pottery, tie dye, etc.) AKV had tons of cultural activities in addition to the regular resort activities--it's a great place for a no parks visit.

We did one of the painting classes at BLT (top of the world lounge) w/ DD14 last year after our annual passes expired. She had a lot of fun at it. It's not cheap, but it does include snacks like cheese/crackers and fruit/veggies. It's something that needs to be prebooked. We also went to one of the mini golf places (Winter Summerland by Blizzard Beach) one of the days as we'd never done that!

Sounds like you will be packing and moving most of the time, why so many resorts?

BLT and AKV (Kidani) have community halls. They can do crafts there (some are upcharge like pottery, tie dye, etc.) AKV had tons of cultural activities in addition to the regular resort activities--it's a great place for a no parks visit.

We did one of the painting classes at BLT (top of the world lounge) w/ DD14 last year after our annual passes expired. She had a lot of fun at it. It's not cheap, but it does include snacks like cheese/crackers and fruit/veggies. It's something that needs to be prebooked. We also went to one of the mini golf places (Winter Summerland by Blizzard Beach) one of the days as we'd never done that!
Great feedback...thank you!

Sounds like you will be packing and moving most of the time, why so many resorts?
This is our first DVC trip, so we kind of wanted to use it as an opportunity to check out some of the different resorts that we have not been to. Also, the points just got loaded into our account and they expire at the end of May. We are kind of booking on short notice, so we took what we could get that fit into what we wanted to do. We are only traveling with carry-ons so going back-and-forth between different hotel shouldn’t be too difficult.

This is our first DVC trip, so we kind of wanted to use it as an opportunity to check out some of the different resorts that we have not been to. Also, the points just got loaded into our account and they expire at the end of May. We are kind of booking on short notice, so we took what we could get that fit into what we wanted to do. We are only traveling with carry-ons so going back-and-forth between different hotel shouldn’t be too difficult.

I was forced to do something similar on our first DVC stay (3 resorts in 4 nights). moving around and being homeless gets pretty tiring...so just try to adjust everyone's expectations going in. Keep in mind you'll have to be out of your room by 11 am and can't officially check-in until 4:00 pm.

As far as things to do -- they could ride the skyliner and check out different resorts while at BCV.

Depending on what your plans are for the next year -- you could consider getting a water park AP if you think you'll use it for more than 2 days.

There are two putt putt courses by Blizzard beach and two by Swan/Dolphin (which you could walk to from BCV).

Other activities could include renting a boat for an hour and just messing around (boats are actually a lot cheaper than I would've thought). Doing this while at BLT/Poly would be a good option. Could also just ride the monorail around...or take a boat to fort wilderness and rent a golf cart and drive around that area.

Maybe do some sort of disney resort scavenger hunt? https://herewiththeears.com/free-sc...-do-at-some-of-the-walt-disney-world-resorts/

I've never done any of the community hall stuff at the resorts -- so I can't really comment on the free activities of each resort and whether they'd be age appropriate for teenagers.

Other than that -- pool time would be the main thing I would suggest.

From Disney--DVC Community Halls:
Activities Aplenty
  • Relax and unwind in a fun-filled space designed for the entire family.
  • Play games like foosball, air hockey, pool, ping pong, darts and more! Guests may also make crafts, relax in our TV viewing areas, rent DVDs, join our “rainy day” activities and check out books.
  • Amenities and activities are available to current Guests of the Resort where the Community Hall is located. Most are complimentary, while some are available for a fee.
  • Game and activity selection varies between Community Halls.
Community Hall Locations
There are several Community Halls at Walt Disney World Resort. Locations are:

******** BLT
---While you are at BLT, make sure to go to the Top of the World Lounge The appetizers are average but the chocolate caramel cake is GREAT!!! This is a great place to watch the MK fireworks.
--You can take the monorail over to Poly for a dole whip at Captain Cooks quick service and maybe even watch MK fireworks and electric water pageant. Then monorail over to the Grand Floridian to see the shops and hear the live music. Their quick service at the GF has great cupcakes.

******** AKV
---They have restaurant tours for Boma , Jiko and / or Sanaa. Get some zebra domes at the gift shop and enjoy them by the pool. AK has great pool!
---Face painting at the Mara quick service is fun. But teen girls may think they are too old for that . LOL.
---Use night vision goggles to see the animals at night
--Check out the bonfire at night

******** BCV
--The pool is so cool here!!!
--Head over the Beaches and Crème ice cream shop for some ice cream. The kitchen sink is fun and serves 5 to 7 people….
-- Walk over to Boardwalk and watch the street performers.

Hope some of these ideas help!

******** BCV
--Head over the Beaches and Crème ice cream shop for some ice cream. The kitchen sink is fun and serves 5 to 7 people….

I'll add rent a Surrey Bike on the boardwalk while at BCV.

Are you looking for any activities, or just free activities?

If you feel comfortable with it, let them rent the water sprites and motor around Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. You could also let them go get lunch or dinner on their own. Maybe let them ride around and tour the monorail resorts on their own (if you feel comfortable with that). If they have cell phones just turn on the "find my iphone" feature and watch them virtually from wherever you are.

I was forced to do something similar on our first DVC stay (3 resorts in 4 nights). moving around and being homeless gets pretty tiring...so just try to adjust everyone's expectations going in. Keep in mind you'll have to be out of your room by 11 am and can't officially check-in until 4:00 pm.

As far as things to do -- they could ride the skyliner and check out different resorts while at BCV.

Depending on what your plans are for the next year -- you could consider getting a water park AP if you think you'll use it for more than 2 days.

There are two putt putt courses by Blizzard beach and two by Swan/Dolphin (which you could walk to from BCV).

Other activities could include renting a boat for an hour and just messing around (boats are actually a lot cheaper than I would've thought). Doing this while at BLT/Poly would be a good option. Could also just ride the monorail around...or take a boat to fort wilderness and rent a golf cart and drive around that area.

Maybe do some sort of disney resort scavenger hunt? https://herewiththeears.com/free-sc...-do-at-some-of-the-walt-disney-world-resorts/

I've never done any of the community hall stuff at the resorts -- so I can't really comment on the free activities of each resort and whether they'd be age appropriate for teenagers.

Other than that -- pool time would be the main thing I would suggest.
Great suggestions...and thank you for the link to the scavenger hunt! My wife had actually mentioned the boats at Polly, so it’s good to hear you found those to be worth it. We are ready for the bouncing around and my daughters are looking at it as an adventure. The good thing is that we can get to the resort early, check in and then use the facilities (like pools) until our room is ready. Or at least that is what member services said we could do. And we will have backpacks so we can do whatever we want to our room is ready.

Thanks for your advice!

From Disney--DVC Community Halls:
Activities Aplenty
  • Relax and unwind in a fun-filled space designed for the entire family.
  • Play games like foosball, air hockey, pool, ping pong, darts and more! Guests may also make crafts, relax in our TV viewing areas, rent DVDs, join our “rainy day” activities and check out books.
  • Amenities and activities are available to current Guests of the Resort where the Community Hall is located. Most are complimentary, while some are available for a fee.
  • Game and activity selection varies between Community Halls.
Community Hall Locations
There are several Community Halls at Walt Disney World Resort. Locations are:
Awesome! Thanks you :-)

******** BLT
---While you are at BLT, make sure to go to the Top of the World Lounge The appetizers are average but the chocolate caramel cake is GREAT!!! This is a great place to watch the MK fireworks.
--You can take the monorail over to Poly for a dole whip at Captain Cooks quick service and maybe even watch MK fireworks and electric water pageant. Then monorail over to the Grand Floridian to see the shops and hear the live music. Their quick service at the GF has great cupcakes.

******** AKV
---They have restaurant tours for Boma , Jiko and / or Sanaa. Get some zebra domes at the gift shop and enjoy them by the pool. AK has great pool!
---Face painting at the Mara quick service is fun. But teen girls may think they are too old for that . LOL.
---Use night vision goggles to see the animals at night
--Check out the bonfire at night

******** BCV

Those suggestions absolutely help! We will definitely check them out. Thank you :-)

If you feel comfortable with it, let them rent the water sprites and motor around Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. You could also let them go get lunch or dinner on their own. Maybe let them ride around and tour the monorail resorts on their own (if you feel comfortable with that). If they have cell phones just turn on the "find my iphone" feature and watch them virtually from wherever you are.
Yeah, I’m sure they will definitely have some time to explore on their own. Mom and dad will need some time away from the lovely angels I’m sure!

This is our first DVC trip, so we kind of wanted to use it as an opportunity to check out some of the different resorts that we have not been to.

If you have not been to BWV, then wander over there from BCV.

If you are checking out the resorts, then you might want to challenge yourself to find all of the amenities at the resorts you stay at. I stayed at BWV several times before I got around to finding the Community Hall and all of the BWV/BWI pools. If a resort you are staying at has a game room, pool table, tennis court, volleyball court, grills, etc., they might not be something you would walk by on a trip when you were just going back and forth between your room and theme parks.

I personally like to find all of the places at my resort and within walking distance of my resort which sell cupcakes, but I am cupcake-obsessed. If I were into pin trading, I would be looking for those options (such as gift shops which have pin boards hidden behind the counter).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter