Things about your childhood that would baffle younger people of today

When the Blue Laws were in effect in our state everything, except emergency service locations, were closed on Sunday.
I had to drive to the only place that was open on Sunday to get Cigarettes.
The Snack Bar at the local hospital.........................:o

I had to explain newspapers to my kids. I remember the internet bill built into your phone bill. Once we accidentally racked up a $200 phone bill. We were limited to one hour of internet time a week, but we thought it was a day. Oops!!!

Some of this is blowing my mind and I'm in my 40's.

I do concur that kids are given way less freedom today than in years past. I enjoyed my daily kid adventures with little to no supervision. My kids were way older before I gave them that freedom.

I do remember smoking in airplanes and in the workplace.

Remember when pagers were all the rage?!

I sold girl scout cookies. Door to door, alone. I was in grade school and it was always Feb/Mar. Freezing cold and snow. Troop leaders only advice was to carry pencils as a pen might freeze up from the cold. I would even step inside strangers homes as they usually felt bad “ oh honey it’s so cold out there”. Illinois in the 80s

My dad would once take orders at work. That was it. All other selling was me 100% on my own. my mom did not spam post on FB that her daughter is selling cookies.

A VCR that has a corded remote, meaning you had to sit on the edge of the couch to use it to pause, rewind, etc.

A cordless phone that you couldn't leave the house with.

A portable record player that still need to be plugged in to use.

Using TV Trays to eat dinner on in front of the TV (added bonus, Meatloaf and Mashed Potato TV Dinners!).

A real oldie: reel-to-reel tapes and players.

assembly line vaccinations in the school cafeteria which NO ONE missed because people actually understood that polio could cripple you for life and TB was really a thing, and if the shot was gamma globulin someone in the school actually had the measles. ( there was no MMR vaccine.)
missing two or more weeks of school a year actually sick with mumps, rubella, chicken pox and measles.
black and white tv with three channels you changed with a dial
Calling grandma once a month on the weekend because that was all the long distance we could afford.
Cross country train and greyhound bus travel because flying was to expensive and my dad wouldn't let my mom drive alone.
Shoveling the roof when you shoveled the walk ( we lived in the Colorado High Country in a government provided flat roofed champion trailer)
I sold girl scout cookies for 50 cents a box :)

Using TV Trays to eat dinner on in front of the TV (added bonus, Meatloaf and Mashed Potato TV Dinners!).

i had to explain to ds (22) the other night why the kids on 'the kids are alright' were so in awe of one of them being allowed to eat a hungry man tv dinner. he had no concept that 'back in the old days' tv dinners were for many households a luxury and that the hungry man brand was the gold standard. it's only been in recent months that he mentioned having tried salisbury steak for the first time-then it occurred to me, it's not something commonly served in school cafeterias anymore like when i was growing up (which led me to never buy it as a tv dinner).

for us growing up food wise-

fast food was something you might get when traveling (but mom usually also packed a cooler) or a RARE treat,

coffee shops-again mostly while traveling

actual restaurant-special occasions only (i had friends in high school who had never been in a restaurant b/c that wasn't something 'kids' were included in within their households)

3 kinds of cereal only-adult's (corn flakes or grapenuts), kid's (whatever had the best toy-but it had to be emptied before the next box got bought), cream of wheat (kept on hand for bouts of stomach distress)

mom's grocery shopping being done on a balancing act of best price vs. best blue chip stamp promotion (every bed had a blue chip stamp blanket, we had the same 'painting' in our living room as everyone else did-from the blue chip stamp store, mom putting away groceries while i sat at the table licking/affixing stamps into the little booklets.

i had to explain to ds (22) the other night why the kids on 'the kids are alright' were so in awe of one of them being allowed to eat a hungry man tv dinner. he had no concept that 'back in the old days' tv dinners were for many households a luxury and that the hungry man brand was the gold standard. it's only been in recent months that he mentioned having tried salisbury steak for the first time-then it occurred to me, it's not something commonly served in school cafeterias anymore like when i was growing up (which led me to never buy it as a tv dinner).

And when the TV dinners were cooked in the oven -- you had to cut out portions of the foil out, and hope the green beans didn't get overly friendly and baked in the brownie. We only had TV dinners when my parents were going out to dinner.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter