Thick soled shoes for extra inches??

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is hard to disapoint a kid who wants what he can't have. We all try to give them that by any means. Is it really that bad? Is stuffing one shoe for a ride where he sits right next to you and you hold him that bad??
It sure is if he can get hurt. My kid's safety is more important than whether or not they are disappointed. You can't have everything in life just because you want it. JMHO.

I must say I don't think you should cheat the system. i agree that the restrictions are there for a reason. Believe me I know how upsetting it can be for a child not to be able to ride but when it involves safety, why risk it. Who is the parent? Your job as a parent is to protect your child. You can always do something fun with ds while others are on the ride.

I have not done anything on that list and I have yet lie to my child. I am not perfect but will not do anything that can potentially harm my child. Just my honest opinion

I have to chime in on this one too. We live in central FL, only 1.5 hrs from Disney. We go quite often, and my oldest DD was just waiting until she was 40" so she could ride the "big" rides. Well, we thought that she was there, checked her height on the measuring stick outside of one ride (don't remember which one) and she made it. But, she didn't want to ride that one, she wanted to ride a different one. So, we went to the one that she wanted to ride and low and behold, she wasn't big enough. The "L" stick just barely passed over her head. She was in TEARS, heartbroken, and completely upset. But, after a few minutes, she got over it and we went and did something else. The next time that we went, she was big enough and she was happy.

Now, that being said, I would have NEVER gone out and bought her extra thick soled shoes just because she wanted to ride that ride. Her safety isn't worth it.

So, I see two options, either change your plans to wait until your child is definitely tall enough, or go on with your plans and make sure that your child understands that they just aren't tall enough to ride some of the bigger rides. Oh, and one more thing, just avoid all of the "big" rides. There are plenty of things to do without going to those rides.

We are going down after Christmas for something like our 8th trip in as many years. Our youngest of four kids will turn 4 at the end of September... he is measuring just over 38" barefoot. Let me tell you, if things look like they might be close, I will be looking to get an extra 1/4 to 1/2" with the right pair of shoes if possible.

With all due respect, a different pair of reasonble shoes are not going to endanger your child... This thread reminds me of an Ellen DeGeneres stand-up routine when she is talking about the requirement to bring your airline seat back to upright position before landing... reclining back and forth by 5" and stating "dead - not dead".

In fact, I don't even think we are talking about dishonesty or "cheating the system" in any way. I mean, if your kid walks up with some absurdly thick soled shoes, the CM is going to and should ask to measure without them. But, everyone wears shoes to WDW, everyone knows shoes have various sized soles, and you can rest assured that the height requirements are not set with so little room for error that a 1/2" or even an 1" is going to compromise safety one bit. If the kid is close, and an extra pair of socks or a different pair of shoes that are in the range of reasonably normal will make the difference, as a parent I would feel irresponsible NOT getting the right shoes that will allow my child on the ride.

That being said, trying to get much more than an inch out of a pair of children's shoes probably will fall outside the range of reasonably normal shoes.

I felt I would just throw my hat into the ring here.

On the one hand, shoes are shoes, their main purpose is to keep your feet from touching the ground. If you find shoes that are comfortable to walk around in all day, go for it. I would say if you are specifically buying shoes to fit the height requirement or are stuffing them so much that your child cannot walk then that is getting to be a little to much.

On the other hand, children can and should have a little disappointment in their lives. If another member of your family was unable to ride the ride or you had a condition which meant that you could not take them to ride, would you take the risk then? Say you had a heart condition or whatever. Should your child's disappointment on not riding, a couple minutes of their lives disrupted, prevent you from using your best judgement.

Going on with the whole topic of flaming, to me it seems as if a lot of people (not pointing any fingers here, just people) are taking the holier than thou approach where anytime anyone asks a question they are immediately attacked by people who would "never" do that, etc.

Why chance it? I just don't get it. There have been kids who have fallen off rides b/c they cheated the system, I wouldn't risk it. I would rather my child be mad at me.

I felt I would just throw my hat into the ring here.

On the one hand, shoes are shoes, their main purpose is to keep your feet from touching the ground. If you find shoes that are comfortable to walk around in all day, go for it. I would say if you are specifically buying shoes to fit the height requirement or are stuffing them so much that your child cannot walk then that is getting to be a little to much.

On the other hand, children can and should have a little disappointment in their lives. If another member of your family was unable to ride the ride or you had a condition which meant that you could not take them to ride, would you take the risk then? Say you had a heart condition or whatever. Should your child's disappointment on not riding, a couple minutes of their lives disrupted, prevent you from using your best judgement.

Going on with the whole topic of flaming, to me it seems as if a lot of people (not pointing any fingers here, just people) are taking the holier than thou approach where anytime anyone asks a question they are immediately attacked by people who would "never" do that, etc.

I agree with what you are saying. If your child is a little too short for a ride some CM will tell you if he had thicker soled shoes then he could ride. So for a CM to say that means that they are giving a margin of about an inch. I also understand and agree with a problem like a heart condition. But i feel that is totally different.

I also strongly agee with the flaming part of you quote. Alot of people are acting very holier then thou...;)

Sorry I am not trying to be hollier than thou. I just am being open and honest and I thought that is what the OP wanted. I am sorry if I offended anyone or upset anyone that was not my intention. Do what works for your family and I will do what works for mine!

Regardless of the height issue, one also has to ask the age appropriateness of the rides you are looking at. TOT and SM may be too intense for your young one, and with the additional risk of not meeting the height requirement, why bother? One has to wonder if the person that is going to be disappointed in missing the rides is you, if so, why don't you do the parent swap?

I think first lie refers to the Easter bunny, Santa, or Disney character thing. Who knows... :confused3

I would never jeopardize my child's safety for a one time thrill.

Just remember your child is watching ;) ... they do learn what they live so if you teach them this is acceptable then surely they will learn from it. Really, how can we teach our kids to do one thing and then we go do the other?

I'm not flaming, just talking in a normal tone here...

Maybe I'm misunderstanding a previous post, but I do not think that a CM would tell someone that their child could ride if they had thicker soled shoes. As much as Disney grills them on strictly following the height requirement, I think it would be very, very rare for a CM to say that.

If you are referring to Tower of Terror in your post, that ride will be much too intense for your 3yo. You can't really "hold on to him". Yes, I know there are safety restraints. But I remember when my DD (who is very brave) rode it for the 1st time when she was 6- I was upset that I couldn't really hold on to her, AND she had that huge-eyed look of a child that was just seriously freaked out.

If you're talking about Test Track, I think that would probably be okay for a child that is 40".

Not sure on the SM if you mean Space Mountain or Splash Mountain. Splash itself wouldn't be too bad (shhh...DD rode this when she was only about 35"- no one ever measured her- and she peed on DH at the end, lol). Space Mountain- you can't sit beside your child. I would definitely wait on Space until the child is age 5-6, depending on maturity.

I remember last year at Star Tours there was an upset dad b/c his DD (about age 3) was about an inch too short to ride. After riding it, I thought that even that ride might have been too intense for her, after observing her height, frame, and how she was behaving in general.

If a child meets the height requirement, that doesn't mean they are emotionally ready for the ride. Dinosaur scared the living daylights out of DD when she was 5. Expedition Everest still scares her. She likes "plain thrills"- no scary monsters or Yeti.

Again, I'm not flaming you just for asking a question- we don't learn anything unless we ask! kwim?

We are waiting until my youngest hits 40 inches to go. He measured 39" at the doctor's this month! WhooHoo! Maybe we can go at Christmas!

I have done 1" platform shoes for the older kids when they were little. I think over 2" is a stretch though.

Dawn

I think first lie refers to the Easter bunny, Santa, or Disney character thing. Who knows... :confused3

I would never jeopardize my child's safety for a one time thrill.

Just remember your child is watching ;) ... they do learn what they live so if you teach them this is acceptable then surely they will learn from it. Really, how can we teach our kids to do one thing and then we go do the other?

It total agreement here!

I also think that is the lie they were talking about. We are honest with our kids and let them know it is fun to believe in them and they are apart of the season, story etc.. but that they aren't real

When you ask a question about a moral issue, you're going to get answers that take a moral high road. Different questions might get different people taking that road though, because everyone has their own beliefs. She asked the question - were only people who thought it was fine supposed to answer?

I'll answer too. Yes, I think it is "that bad" to do so because it is dangerous and sets a bad example for your child. However, I clearly live by a different set of rules than the OP because the "take a soda and drink it without paying" thing literally made my chin drop.

When you ask a question about a moral issue, you're going to get answers that take a moral high road. Different questions might get different people taking that road though, because everyone has their own beliefs. She asked the question - were only people who thought it was fine supposed to answer?.

The OP asked three questions in her original post:
1. Does anyone know where i can get some thick soled shoes for this trip?
2. If he is 39 inches with shoes has would putting lifts in his shoes hurt?
3.I know this is a big thing but in reality they tell you if they had thicker soles they could get on so has anyone ever stuffed???

I don't see any question of whether this is morally correct just if anyone had done it and where to get higher shoes.

I think that it is fine to ask an honest question and get an honest answer. I think it is fine it people have different opinions and in fact I lean more against getting higher shoes to ride rides than with those who practice this. She; however, did not ask for an opinion and I think that in many cases people seem to feel fit to demeen others by saying "oh well I would NEVER do this..." and paint the OP as a horrible person just for asking. I am POSITIVE that everyone has broken a rule in their life, no matter how big a deal it was. And honestly I do not think that this rule is that big a deal at all (or at least not what some people are making it out to be) I just do not think that it is right to put people down for asking an honest question when a simple yes or no or the same of a shop to get shoes would have sufficed.

The OP asked three questions in her original post:
1. Does anyone know where i can get some thick soled shoes for this trip?
2. If he is 39 inches with shoes has would putting lifts in his shoes hurt?
3.I know this is a big thing but in reality they tell you if they had thicker soles they could get on so has anyone ever stuffed???

I don't see any question of whether this is morally correct just if anyone had done it and where to get higher shoes.

I think that it is fine to ask an honest question and get an honest answer. I think it is fine it people have different opinions and in fact I lean more against getting higher shoes to ride rides than with those who practice this. She; however, did not ask for an opinion and I think that in many cases people seem to feel fit to demeen others by saying "oh well I would NEVER do this..." and paint the OP as a horrible person just for asking. I am POSITIVE that everyone has broken a rule in their life, no matter how big a deal it was. And honestly I do not think that this rule is that big a deal at all (or at least not what some people are making it out to be) I just do not think that it is right to put people down for asking an honest question when a simple yes or no or the same of a shop to get shoes would have sufficed.

Right on!

I'm wondering if these boards are made up of saints, priests, and nuns.....

(Where that flame smiley.....)

Ok, OP, I don't know where to get lifts or higher shoes. My kids always get tennis shoes with a wedge heel (the normal running shoes) and that's as high as I've ever gotten.

However, January 2006 we were there trying to get on Star Tours and DD3 was wearing a hat. One of those beanie kind that fit close to her head. They measured her with it on and didn't make her remove it. The L thingie barely grazed the top of her head and they let her on (along with a comment of "just barely made it!") Now the following day she wanted to go on it again, but it was warmer and she wasn't wearing the hat. She was too short and they wouldn't let her on. She was upset, and we had to wait outside the ride doors for DS to ride by himself. So I think there's some leeway in what each CM requires for height. You might be able to stretch a 1/2" to an 1", but I don't know how much more than that you can do without it being obvious.

(We didn't even try Test Track or Soarin' on that trip, BTW).

DS is "blessed" to be on the tall side for his age- 42.5" and just turned four last month. He rode Splash when he was three and really enjoyed it. This last trip (just turned four) he only rode it once and didn't want to ride it again. I think the drop really scared him this time. We also went on ToT w/him (despite my marked reservations about doing so) and I wouldn't personally recommend anyone take a four year old on that ride. The special effects and the drops and everyone screaming are way too intense for this age IMO. I wanted to kill dh when we got off (lol) and ds was shaking like a leaf. And this kid is a huge daredevil - not timid at all when it comes to the rides. I actually dread when he hits 44" because he's been asking to ride space mtn for a long time now and dh and I agree he needs to be much older before he will be ready for that one (like a pp, we are thinking more like 5 or 6). He does love BTMRR and Test Track. I know this has nothing to do w/your original questions...Just thought I'd share our experience. hth

The OP herself acknowledged in her first post that flames were probable on this issue. Then in subsequent posts she has asked several times if it was "that bad?".

Everyone's moral code is different. You think it's wrong to give opinions that demean others. Other people think it's wrong to stuff your child's shoes to get on a ride and steal soda. Obviously, neither is afraid to give their opinion - whether it's asked for or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter