There's Always Too Much Sauce - A July 2022 TR *Updated 3/23

I'm all caught up!

I'm so glad you were able to enjoy a few days alone with Alex - your meal at Topolino's looked DELICIOUS! It's too bad the key fiasco (yikes, I would've been panicking!) put you behind, but I think MMRR was the best choice from what I've heard about the ride.

Oh goodness, so many hugs for all the medical issues you've had to endure this year! All the best to your mom - I feel like I know her (a bit!) thanks to all your trip reports. She reminds me of my own mom and that is my highest compliment. :goodvibes I hope your MIL continues to do well, too!

Thank you for adding on this additional trip and CONGRATS on your three races! I LOVE the medals and your pictures are great. A special congratulations on making your goal time for the 10-mile race!

0134.jpeg

I agree with Moira, this really captures your accomplishment and joy!

Very inspirational update. I felt like I was there with your. You're a fabulous writer.

I'[m so happy for you for doing this too.

I'm so glad for you. As a former runner, I could empathize with every part of your race (including that delightful pre-race caffeine buzz lol). Congratulations!

Thank you! I will definitely be having caffeine before the next Springtime Surprise weekend. It's essential!

Congratulations!!!!🥇

Thank you. :goodvibes

I just LOVE this photo! You can see all your hard work in it. Congrats on finishing the challenge! Run Disney is something very special, I think all runners need to experience it at some point!

I originally hadn't bought Photopass, but then when I saw my pictures - that one, especially - I was like, guess I'm getting it now. :rotfl:

Thanks for taking us on the 10 miler with you, I loved it. I felt like I was with you!
congratulations! The medals are really cute! Monsters Inc is my favorite Pixar movie with Toy Story being a close second!

Thanks!
I loved the medals for the races. I wish WDW had the Monsters Inc. dark ride that CA has. I haven't even been on it before, I'm just jealous they get more Mike and Sully. :laughing:

I'm all caught up!

Hi! Just the other day I was wondering if you'd pop back on the boards before your upcoming trip. I'm sure you and your girls are getting so excited for your vacation. Only a few months away now!

I'm so glad you were able to enjoy a few days alone with Alex - your meal at Topolino's looked DELICIOUS!

It was really, really hard for me not to book Topolino's again for my April trip. :rotfl:

It's too bad the key fiasco

I still can't believe that happened!

All the best to your mom - I feel like I know her (a bit!) thanks to all your trip reports. She reminds me of my own mom and that is my highest compliment. :goodvibes

Aw, thank you so much! Both moms are in recovery and trekking along. They are both very antsy for April, because both have trips planned to see us and the kids. Not sure who is more excited, them or the grandkids. :rotfl:

I agree with Moira, this really captures your accomplishment and joy!

Very inspirational update. I felt like I was there with your. You're a fabulous writer.

I'[m so happy for you for doing this too.

Thanks! I didn't realize how much my happiness was showing through on my face until I looked through the photopass pictures later in the day.
And I loved capping off my race weekend with friends! :goodvibes

Alicia even has a book out and I can confirm that, while it is a work of fiction ( I hope 😂🤣),

Definitely!!! :rotfl:Funny story, I sent my late aunt my manuscript before my editor got it and she called me, horrified. "Alicia! Please tell me you don't think of me like this. I'm not this horrible, right?!" :laughing:

April 16th Part 2:

Time to celebrate!

I’d done all the running, now my mom and I were on to the good stuff: hanging out in the Disney parks just us two.

But first.

I took a nap.

:rotfl2:

No sleep and ten miles will take it out of you.

Meanwhile, my mom did laundry.

Such an exciting task.

But as she said:
“I love you, daughter, but I’m not spending three more nights in this room with all these workout clothes hanging around.”:rotfl:

Around three o’clock, my mom and I left the resort and headed to…

0151.jpeg

Because who doesn’t want to visit the largest Disney park after running 10 miles?:laughing:

I know, I know.

Not my brightest plan.

But my mom and I have a tradition, and I planned for us to uphold it for my celebratory dinner.

So into Epcot we trekked!

With Finding Nemo being the Challenge theme, I had to meander over to the Living Seas and grab a medal photo:

0156.JPG

When we arrived there was a Photopass photographer packing up because of an impending storm, which I thought was a nice touch.

*Before my mom and I entered the park, I had stopped by Guest Services and purchased Photopass using the military discounted rate. I wasn’t planning on doing this, originally, but as my race photos started rolling in, I knew I’d regret not having them so I went ahead and did it. The service is only good for 30 days, which was a little bit of a bummer since I suspected we’d be back in the summer with the kids, but I don’t regret buying them.

And now I know for future races to just budget the money, and buy it at the beginning of my trip so I don’t miss a few days worth of photo opportunities.*

Now, most of you all know me. And I have no delusions about myself.

I’m super predictable.

I have my Disney system, and I rarely veer from it.

So, it’s pretty obvious where my mom and I were headed for dinner this night.

We were going to the restaurant on the complete opposite side of the park entrance!

Ugh.:sad1:

That was a long walk.

Especially because as I was passing China, I said to my mom: “Hey. I was here earlier today.”

I swear I spent more time in Epcot this time than I ever had in a trip before.

Back in 2012, my mom and I took our first adult mom/daughter trip and ate at Via Napoli:

Via Napoli entrance 03.jpg

Her and I took the kids a couple times when they were little.

And in 2019, we celebrated my mom’s birthday at the restaurant:

0029.jpg

No sooner had my mom and I booked this trip than we unanimously agreed: Via Napoli had to be our post race dinner!

0159.JPG

I have so many fond memories with my mom at this place. From watching baby Landon gobble dessert, to laughing so hard we cried at the table, to accidentally being served six spoons, I can’t help but think of Via Napoli and smile.

This meal was just as wonderful, with the Quattro Formaggio pizza cooked to perfection:

0160.JPG

My mom and I marveled that it had been 11 years since our first meal there. So much had changed in that time, yet it was still just as easygoing and enjoyable spending time with one another a decade down the road.

Naturally, we had to get dessert:

0161.JPG

The only thing I would have changed about this meal was that I wish my mom and I had gone to it either Friday or Saturday night. When I run distances over 7 miles, I tend to not want to eat much the rest of the day. And because you have to for recovery’s sake, I try to stick with basic stuff. Salads with lots of protein, rice bowls, chicken and roasted potatoes, etc.

The result was that we wasted some of the pizza, and I didn’t feel great, but it was nothing that impeded our evening.

And I told my mom: “Now we know for our next race weekend trip.”:laughing:

She liked the sound of that.

Hopefully one day we’ll get to do this again.

Evie has heard of these mom/daughter trips and has already inquired on the age requirement for said trip. I promised her one day I’d take her on one. We’ll stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge and I’ll have to drag her away from the animals.

As my mom and I finished dinner and left the restaurant, I heard music coming from the American pavilion area.

I’d completely forgot!

Switchfoot was performing at the Garden Rocks Concert series.

I walked up when they were finishing their set with “Dare You To Move.”

0162.JPG

The ghost of my fourteen year old self was cheering.

Anyone else listen to Switchfoot in the A Walk to Remember movie and grow attached?

I was tempted to message my friend at the time and reminiscence about middle school.

(As an aside, it is wild to me to think Landon’s entering that age range now. And he will have these strong sense memories about films and music and places, like the ones that I still carry with me. Adds to the pressure of making sure I’m doing this whole parenting thing right.::yes::)

I’m not sure what my mom wanted to do from this point on. I know she wanted to see the rest of the World Showcase, because so far we’d only made it halfway around. So the two of us strolled through the park, taking our time and appreciating the nice weather.

Unfortunately, it was my turn to tag out. I wanted to get back to the room and sit.

My mom was gracious enough to come back with me, and together the two of us watched some tv and sat on the balcony and listened to hustle and bustle of the Wilderness Lodge.

Later in the evening, I went downstairs for a very important meetup!

@disneyAndi14 and her sister were also staying at the WL, and @vamassey1 and her husband, and Ariana (who used to be on the boards) were also in WDW, and we all had planned to get together at Geyser Point.

I was the last to arrive (oops) and after getting the opportunity to put faces to names, we tried to put our name on the list for Geyser Point. However, they said it was going to be, like, 90 minutes, so instead we all headed to Territory Lounge.

A very nice server helped us push tables together and get us settled with drinks.

Then the time flew by.

Ariana and I talked about the 5K, which she had also done. Vanessa and I commiserated about Louisiana in the summertime. Caroline and I discussed our daughters’ eyes. (They deal with similar scripts.)

I can’t speak for anybody else, but I had a lovely time talking with everyone and getting to learn more about their lives and interests. Everyone at the table was so nice and welcoming, and I never felt like there was a lag in conversation. I’m grateful everyone carved out some of their precious Disney time to help make this meet happen, because it was one of the highlights of the trip.

I hope I get the opportunity to see them all again in the future.

0166.JPG

I’ve been able to meet a lot of DISers over the years, and it never gets old. People here on the boards are some of the friendliest folks around.:goodvibes

At around 11 o’clock, we all said our goodbyes and went our separate ways. I walked with Caroline back to the WL rooms and was surprised when she showed me that her room was right next to the elevator! I remember worrying that it must have been really loud with all the foot traffic, but she said it was actually a really nice spot. Good info to remember for if you’re ever put there.

Up Next: I Think We’re Getting A Lot Done, Don’t You Think?

Switchfoot was performing at the Garden Rocks Concert series.
The ghost of my fourteen year old self was cheering.

Anyone else listen to Switchfoot in the A Walk to Remember movie and grow attached?
Been following along and enjoying your report and your RunDisney events, but this brings me out to comment! I knew Switchfoot before they were in A Walk to Remember, but I haven’t heard their name in a long while! I’m surprised they’re still performing, but that definitely brings me back. I’m right there with you reminiscing about my teenage years.

One funny connection to Switchfoot- they went to UCSD where I went as an undergrad (their song Chem6a is based on a popular class). I actually had a women’s event once that was hosted at the Switchfoot drummer’s house. I didn’t meet him but thought it was the coolest thing.

Because who doesn’t want to visit the largest Disney park after running 10 miles?:laughing:

I know, I know.

Not my brightest plan.

But my mom and I have a tradition, and I planned for us to uphold it for my celebratory dinner.

So into Epcot we trekked!
Epcot is always fun!
My mom and I marveled that it had been 11 years since our first meal there. So much had changed in that time, yet it was still just as easygoing and enjoyable spending time with one another a decade down the road
Love this! ❤️
No sooner had my mom and I booked this trip than we unanimously agreed: Via Napoli had
You love your Via Napoli!
I was the last to arrive (oops) and after getting the opportunity to put faces to names, we tried to put our name on the list for Geyser Point. However, they said it was going to be, like, 90 minutes, so instead we all headed to Territory Lounge.

A very nice server helped us push tables together and get us settled with drinks.

Then the time flew by.
Love Dismeets!
I hope I get the opportunity to see them all again in the future.
I am sure you will! Hopefully we will meet one day too!

Time to celebrate!
:cheer2: :banana:
But first.

I took a nap.

:rotfl:Wise woman!
Meanwhile, my mom did laundry
There is always laundry 😜
: “I love you, daughter, but I’m not spending three more nights in this room with all these workout clothes hanging around.”:rotfl:
:rotfl:Another wise woman. Clearly you take after your mother 👍
my mom and I have a tradition, and I planned for us to uphold it for my celebratory dinner.
There’s something so special about traditions that just sears the whole trip into memory. Love that you and your mum head to Via Napoli each trip.
I had to meander over to the Living Seas and grab a medal photo:
Great photo!
No sooner had my mom and I booked this trip than we unanimously agreed: Via Napoli had to be our post race dinner!

This meal was just as wonderful, with the Quattro Formaggio pizza cooked to perfection:
Wow that pizza looks so tasty. And huge!
Evie has heard of these mom/daughter trips and has already inquired on the age requirement for said trip.
A girl has gotta plan for the future. Your mother/daughter trip with Evie sounds like the stuff her dreams are made of ❤️
Brilliant you all managed to get together. Sounds like you all had great craic.
I love this photo of you all. Fabulous group of disers :goodvibes

You know, we might be the same person - need a cheeseburger after a run and now, need a nap after the long run. I remember after the half, all I wanted to do was crawl back in bed and sleep. Of course, I regretted that later in the evening when I couldn't move so well because I didn't stretch as well as I should have. Oh well, live and learn. I do love a Via Napoli!!! I didn't make a ressie for the April trip here and now I'm starting to wonder if I should have.

Definitely!!! :rotfl:Funny story, I sent my late aunt my manuscript before my editor got it and she called me, horrified. "Alicia! Please tell me you don't think of me like this. I'm not this horrible, right?!" :laughing:

Now I need to know if there is any correlations in your book and real like except for being in Florida.

But as she said: “I love you, daughter, but I’m not spending three more nights in this room with all these workout clothes hanging around.”:rotfl:

Lovely photo!

With Finding Nemo being the Challenge theme, I had to meander over to the Living Seas and grab a medal photo:

Perfect shot.

I knew you would miss Via Napoli. Are you going again this year?

My mom and I marveled that it had been 11 years since our first meal there. So much had changed in that time, yet it was still just as easygoing and enjoyable spending time with one another a decade down the road.

🤗 This gives me the warm fuzzies.

Evie has heard of these mom/daughter trips and has already inquired on the age requirement for said trip. I promised her one day I’d take her on one. We’ll stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge and I’ll have to drag her away from the animals.

You need to keep this tradition going.

I know what this is!

@disneyAndi14 and her sister were also staying at the WL, and @vamassey1 and her husband, and Ariana (who used to be on the boards) were also in WDW, and we all had planned to get together at Geyser Point.

I was so looking forward to this.

I can’t speak for anybody else, but I had a lovely time talking with everyone and getting to learn more about their lives and interests. Everyone at the table was so nice and welcoming, and I never felt like there was a lag in conversation. I’m grateful everyone carved out some of their precious Disney time to help make this meet happen, because it was one of the highlights of the trip.

I enjoyed myself so much! I could have spent some more time there but everyone was tired. Dennis even enjoyed it and I was really worried how he would do at a Dis Meet. He was the only male and did great.

Hi! Just the other day I was wondering if you'd pop back on the boards before your upcoming trip. I'm sure you and your girls are getting so excited for your vacation. Only a few months away now!

Yes, just 85 days to go! (Not that I’m counting or anything… :laughing: )

I had other things that needed my attention the last few months plus there was so little I needed to do once I got the resorts and flights booked. Now it’s back to planning mode to prepare for my favorite parts - park plans and DINING!

So, it’s pretty obvious where my mom and I were headed for dinner this night.

I knew immediately. :goodvibes Despite it being a bit heavy after your races, I’m glad you and your mom got to enjoy a meal at “your” restaurant.

I remember reading about this in one of Caroline’s trip reports! What a treat to meet all three of them - it’s so much fun to meet other DISers. I remember (and miss) Ariana’s trip reports - I hope she’s well!

I knew Switchfoot before they were in A Walk to Remember, but I haven’t heard their name in a long while! I’m surprised they’re still performing, but that definitely brings me back. I’m right there with you reminiscing about my teenage years.

One funny connection to Switchfoot- they went to UCSD where I went as an undergrad (their song Chem6a is based on a popular class). I actually had a women’s event once that was hosted at the Switchfoot drummer’s house. I didn’t meet him but thought it was the coolest thing.

How awesome! Shame you weren't able to meet him but still, what a fun story to have. Not many people can say they were able to hang out at a band member's house. :goodvibes

You love your Via Napoli!

I remember how excited I was to eat my first pizza in Rome, because I wanted to see if Via Napoli really was a good representation of Italy. (It was!)

Hopefully we will meet one day too!

I sincerely hope so! Perhaps if I can ever find time to have my own solo trip. :goodvibes We can spend our time in DAK and appreciate its beauty together.

There is always laundry

Always!

Love that you and your mum head to Via Napoli each trip.

It's become so special to us.

Your mother/daughter trip with Evie sounds like the stuff her dreams are made of

I'm really looking forward to taking Evie on a trip one day. She says she loves Via Napoli, too, but I think it's more about my mom/daughter tradition than anything else. Because at home she tells everyone she hates pizza! Even her Girl Scout leader came up to me last week and was like, "Does your family not eat pizza? I was giving out pizza coupons and Evelyn refused to take one." :rolleyes::rotfl:
But if she assures me she wants to continue the party by going to Via Napoli with me, I'm not going to turn the invitation down. :laughing:

How fun that you got to meet some of the folks from here!!! And that you got to go to your favorite place with your mom.

I love DISmeets and being able to interact with everyone outside of the boards. Hopefully one day our paths will cross!

You know, we might be the same person - need a cheeseburger after a run and now, need a nap after the long run. I remember after the half, all I wanted to do was crawl back in bed and sleep. Of course, I regretted that later in the evening when I couldn't move so well because I didn't stretch as well as I should have. Oh well, live and learn. I do love a Via Napoli!!! I didn't make a ressie for the April trip here and now I'm starting to wonder if I should have.

Those naps are necessary after such early mornings! At least, at Disney they are. If my mom had any hope of me making it across the World Showcase, I needed some rest first.
But ouch! Stretching is the bane of all runners! We know we need to do it, but it's so tedious. We just spent a long time having forward movement. Having to stay still and focus is a difficult shift!

Now I need to know if there is any correlations in your book and real like except for being in Florida.

:rotfl: All right. So my mom is one of three sisters, and for many years they did take a vacation together at some point in the year. One time, they were staying near my work, so I'd stop by in the evenings. And every time I drove onto the campsite, I would think to myself, "This would make the perfect setting for a book." I knew right away that was where I was going to use. And one of my English professors in college encouraged me to stick with contemporary/family stories because that was where my strength. So that's how it came together, but that's it! The character traits are not alike AT ALL! Nor are the stories or dialogue.

Are you going again this year?

Sadly, no. Alex and I decided we needed to try a few new restaurants this year.

I enjoyed myself so much! I could have spent some more time there but everyone was tired. Dennis even enjoyed it and I was really worried how he would do at a Dis Meet. He was the only male and did great.

I'm really glad to hear you and Dennis had a good time. I always feel a little bad for the family member/traveling partner who gets roped into the meets. They just have to go along for the ride.
Fortunately, Alex is an extrovert and has done enough of them that he's become comfortable with them. When we honeymooned, I dragged him to a Palo brunch with ten other DISers, and I think it kind of got him comfortable with the whole situation. So, in other words, he'll be fine letting us chat and visit in April! :rotfl:

Yes, just 85 days to go!

It'll be here before you know it!

I remember reading about this in one of Caroline’s trip reports! What a treat to meet all three of them - it’s so much fun to meet other DISers. I remember (and miss) Ariana’s trip reports - I hope she’s well!

I love getting the opportunity to catch up with DISfriends in real life.
There's been a lot of DISers that have left the boards over the years, and it's always a little bittersweet. I mean, I've watched some people's kids grow up through Disney trips!

I'm really looking forward to taking Evie on a trip one day.
It will be amazing Will Landon want a trip with just you and him if you do a mother/daughter trip? Just imagine the hardship if you had to visit wdw more often to keep everyone happy :rotfl:
"Does your family not eat pizza? I was giving out pizza coupons and Evelyn refused to take one." :rolleyes::rotfl:
Evie is such a character. I love that she knows her own mind and isn’t afraid to say what she likes or doesn’t like.
:rotfl: All right. So my mom is one of three sisters, and for many years they did take a vacation together at some point in the year. One time, they were staying near my work, so I'd stop by in the evenings. And every time I drove onto the campsite, I would think to myself, "This would make the perfect setting for a book."
Love the background to how your book came about.

It was so much fun meeting up and visiting with you and the others!
I’m sorry we will miss each other this April!
Via Napoli is a mother and daughter place for us as well so many memories with Andi here! I think we have enjoyed the pizza here at least 15+ times!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter