There's Always Too Much Sauce - A July 2022 TR *Updated 3/23

And boy do they rub it in.! Just once, I'd like to act as smug when I'm right about something. Except, you know, I've been on this planet 27 years longer, so I have a little more knowledge under my belt...

I don't know what it is about starting fourth grade, but ever since this school year began, Landon's starting to act more and more like he knows everything. I'm not such a fan of the cockiness that comes with this age... :rolleyes2

For what it's worth, I barely took any room or food photos this trip. I did remember time stamp photos, and tons of pictures of the kids, but pics that would just be for the TR are severely lacking.

It's hard to keep up with everything, especially in the Florida heat.

Finally things are looking up for you guys. Evie looks just gorgeous beside her horse🥰

ETA I had no idea USA & UK eggs were so different. Learn something new every day 👍

I am probably noticing little differences like the eggs now that it's our last year in the U.K. and I'm sad to be leaving.

I am going to have to try Gideon's when we go next year. Those cakes look awesome. I am glad to see things turning around on this trip.

I know the line to get into the store is always long, but I think the desserts are worth the wait. Especially because, while 6 dollars is a lot for a cookie, at least they are huge and definitely shareable. I'm trying to remember, and I am pretty sure we get 5-6 servings out of each one.

I do love that feeling of exactly what you hoped for though. :)

I think finding that Lion King MagicBand allowed Landon to feel the Disney magic and started this trip off perfect for him. I'm so happy he's older now, because I think he has more memories of our vacation. Just this morning he sighed really big and said, "Mom, I miss Disney."

Me too, kid. Me too!

Wow that is a heavy sleeper!

I worry about what's going to happen if we move somewhere with an early school start time. We're fortunate here that school doesn't start until 8:25, and it's only a fifteen minute drive. But I know some schools in Florida start as early as 7:30. Ugh.

It probably helped that you stayed up. As hard as it was.

Probably so. And I'm grateful the kids didn't fall asleep on the carride from the airport to the house.

But your kids aren't afraid of Harry Potter?!?! How does that work.

I have no idea. Maybe because we read Harry Potter versus watched it? (They made it through the first three movies, but the dragons in 4 were too much for Landon so we turned it off.)

Vacay has started!

After three years, I was so excited to finally be back on a Disney vacation!

I breathed a heavy sigh of relief for you! Bet you felt 40lbs lighter after that!

It certainly relieved a lot of stress. I don't think I really felt like I was on a "fun trip" until we had those tickets in hand.

WHOO HOO- you have tickets! I really need to try that Cold Brew next time I'm on property! The line always intimidates me, so we pass it by...

The Cold Brew is so, so good! I think we were at DS around 2:30 once, and the line was only ten minutes long! I definitely think before lunchtime and in the evening are when the line can get outrageous, so I'd avoid it during then.

I am probably noticing little differences like the eggs now that it's our last year in the U.K. and I'm sad to be leaving.
How much longer do you have left? Do you know where you are going next?
I imagine that while it’s exciting to live in different places it might be quite hard to pack up and leave a place you love and friends behind. Do the kids get excited about pastures new now that they’re old enough to know a move is on the horizon?

How much longer do you have left? Do you know where you are going next?
I imagine that while it’s exciting to live in different places it might be quite hard to pack up and leave a place you love and friends behind. Do the kids get excited about pastures new now that they’re old enough to know a move is on the horizon?

We're moving next summer, and unfortunately won't find out where we are going until sometime in the spring.
This is the first move the kids are old enough to really comprehend, and it's already starting to be difficult for them. They have asked a few times if we could stay and they could keep going to their school. Four years is pretty long in one place (for the military) and it'll be tough for all of us to have to say goodbye to our friends and community. But kids are resilient and once they're established in a new place, they should bounce back quickly.

July 9th, 2022 Part 1:

Nothing says vacation like your alarm going off at 6:45 in the morning.

Oh, Disney fans. Why do we accept ridiculously early mornings on vacation? Must this always be the way our brains work? :sad2:

I don’t like it.
Not one bit.

But I also am a sucker for sticking to the rules. And in the world of Disney, the early bird gets the worm.

So up and groggy I was, fumbling around with sleep still in my eyes, for my phone so that I would be signed in and ready to book our first Genie + of the day. Our trip was back when we were able to add Genie + to our ticket package, and since we had the feature for our Disney days, Alex and I wanted to try and make full use of it.

Before the trip, the hints and tips I read online said to go for Slinky Dog Dash first, because it was quick to sell out, so that’s what my weary little fingers clicked upon when the allotted time rolled around.

And
viola!

01.PNG

Slinky Dog Dash for the first hour of park opening!

All right, all right, this Genie Plus thing ain’t so bad so far.

Our good luck took away some of the grouchiness of being up early, enough that Alex and I were able to get up and make breakfast and get the kids organized. Before we could say Hollywood Studios, the four of us were out the door and in the car, driving to property.

Alex chose to listen to his GPS this morning and not the big purple signs in the sky, which resulted in us missing our turn and having to drive around property for a few minutes to get our bearings straight. Annoying, yes, but it also afforded us a chance to see some of the value resorts, bringing back nostalgic memories of past trips.

Feels like a lifetime ago that we brought Landon to Walt Disney World for the first time.

We lucked out with parking and weren’t sent to the outback of Australia for a spot. That makes all the difference in the world on a person’s mood. Have to set up shop nextdoor to I4 and you’re already grumpy about the schelp back out to your vehicle.

But get a coveted spot near the walkway? You feel like you just beat the system.
::yes::

Take THAT, Disney. You can go ahead and take my 25 dollars, but you can’t make me walk an extra five miles. Not today!

02.JPG

Our first sight of the Skyliner at the entrance to Hollywood Studios.

It was nice. Added to hustle and bustle of a hopping place.

Now... the gigantic inflatable Baymax I could do without. Am I the only one who finds it a little intimidating? Most people probably look at it and see a fun balloon, but I look at it and wonder what would happen if it fell over on me and cut off my air supply.

There’s a dark side to me. And it’s all at the fault of giant balloons.

Anyways!

The four of us made it through security (not without me getting pegged again) and the ticket tapstiles. Landon was extremely proud that he could use his own finger to scan himself in.

“Does this count as a Disney milestone?”

Sure, buddy.

Then it was time for the first order of business.

Pictures?

Of course not.

Sunscreen.

Lots and lots of sunscreen.

Lots.

Florida. In July.

We bathed in the stuff.

England’s not exactly known for its sunny skies (except for this past summer) and the last thing I wanted was for any of us to burn right at the beginning of our trip. So on went the SPF 50 frequently and copiously.

There were times I felt that all I was doing all day was reapplying sunscreen to tiny humans.

Do you remember how in my first update I mentioned the next phase of traveling with kids? The one where I don’t have to worry about booster seats?

Well, add not having to help with sunscreen to that fantasy list.

Having to slather that goopy, heat-trapping, life-saving stuff onto one person is bad enough. But so much precious park time is eaten up when you have to double that number.

Landon swore he could do it himself.

But the kid forgets to put socks on if I don’t remind him. There’s no way on this earth he would remember to protect his ears or the back of his neck.

I love him. He might be ready to ride coasters that go upside down. But he is not old enough to remember every place the sun might burn him.
:rolleyes2

So the first solid ten minutes of park time was devoted to Coppertone Sport.

My family sure knows how to roll into our first park with a bang!:laughing:

But then! Then it was time for a few photos in front of Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway.

03.JPG

Never mind the sun was facing the building at this time of day and Landon was yelling, “Mom, it’s too bright! I can’t open my eyes!”

Gotta get the shot!

Okay, enough with the funny business. We had a Genie Plus to use.

Toy Story Land was looking particularly beautiful this morning.

04.JPG

With barely anybody else in the land. I suppose everyone was in Galaxy’s Edge, trying to get in line for Rise of the Resistance.

OR they were smart and slept in.

I envied them just a tad.

Alex and I led the kids straight to Slinky Dog Dash and tapped into the attraction.

05.JPG

We had only been on the ride once before, and Evie was not a huge fan of it. During our turn, she famously yelled out,
“I’m doing this, but I don’t like it!”

We were curious to see if her opinion changed.

While waiting for front row (because my husband is a front row snob who passed this trait on to my son) Alex hopped on MDE and managed to grab another Genie Plus pass for Toy Story Midway Mania.

For 9:30!

:goodvibes
Hooray!

So far, this was an excellent morning. The adrenaline was through the roof.

When it was our turn to get on Slinky, Alex rode in front with Evie, while I sat with Landon. And near the end of the ride, I heard my daughter shout, “I still don’t like this!!!”
:rotfl:

Being out in the open, having the opportunity to see the ground and all the people below, freaked her out a bit. She prefers dark rides where everything is hidden.

While the youngest member of our party was not happy with our first ride choice of the trip, I have to say, the rest of us loved it. There’s nothing quite like a coaster at the beginning of the day to get your heart pumping and start the excitement flowing.

It was such a rush, and it made us all thrilled to continue on with our park day.

06.JPG

Slinky was such a fun attraction.

07.JPG

We were on and off before our 9:30 arrival time for TSMM, so I thought it only fitting we make up for torturing Evie and take her on an attraction she loved.

Besides, it was right next to us and had less than a ten minute wait.

Gotta take advantage of a low wait when you find it!

In true sibling fashion, Landon dislikes the ride Evie enjoys. I’d like to say it was on principle, but for the kid prone to motion sickness, Alien Swirling Saucers is a rough ride. That and teacups are ones Landon is more than happy to skip.

However, we made a deal with the kids before the trip that they would give every attraction one try. If they didn’t like it, they wouldn’t have to do it again.

And like any loving wife would do, I gave the grumpy kid to her husband and took the excited kid.

08.JPG

No, that’s not what really happened.

From Ride Number 1, the fighting of “I want to sit with Mom” began.

Didn’t take them long, did it?

And so it was starting on Ride Number 1 that I implemented a set rule.

We alternate ride partners.

Since Landon got to sit with Mom on Slinky, it was Evie’s turn for Alien Swirling Saucers.

Poor Dad.

It’s okay, Alex. I would choose to sit with you every time if I could. You’d be my number one pick.

My family was on and off Alien Swirling Saucers in no time, with Landon proclaiming, “It wasn’t as bad as I remembered, but I still don’t love it.”

With the funny business taken care of, it was time to get serious.

There was a competition to be had.

Alex and I take Toy Story Midway Mania serious.

We don’t play around when it comes to scores.

I wanted to get the highest score.

Alex wanted to force some humility on me.

The stakes were high!

09.JPG

(How is that my kids ALREADY look sick of getting their picture taken and they’ve been in the parks for 45 minutes?! Buckle up, kiddos, there’s a lot more of that coming your way.)

It was time to break some plates!

10.JPG

The giggle Landon (because it was Landon’s turn to sit with me…) gave when the toy soldier said that line was priceless.

It’s the little Disney memories that get you.

They stick to your heart and make you go, “I wanna go back!”

After aliens were released and lots of balloons were popped, it was time to see my score.

Best I’d ever gotten!
I was feeling really good.
This was a pretty lucky morning, after all.

Then we swung around to see the screen that listed the best in vehicle.

My blessed husband got 1,000 more points than me!

:faint:
What the heck?!

That loss hurt.

I would have been fine had it been a blowout, but just a measly thousand points.

That was cruel.

I declared then and there that we would be having a rematch later on in the trip. I needed redemption!

We had no idea what the rest of our Disney trip held in store for us, but one thing was already certain. We WOULD be riding TSMM again.

Up Next…You’re Placing a Lot of Blame on a Dog

Wow you are off to an amazing start !! I feel you in the pain of applying sunscreen though. Thankfully those days are done for me unless it’s helping get the grandkids covered. Love your photos. Every time I read a TR from this past summer all I think of is the things we didn’t get to do 😞. Thankfully TSMM was something we did do and I lost too 😂

We're moving next summer, and unfortunately won't find out where we are going until sometime in the spring.
This is the first move the kids are old enough to really comprehend, and it's already starting to be difficult for them. They have asked a few times if we could stay and they could keep going to their school. Four years is pretty long in one place (for the military) and it'll be tough for all of us to have to say goodbye to our friends and community. But kids are resilient and once they're established in a new place, they should bounce back quickly.
With you and Alex’s support I’ve no doubt those kiddos of yours will thrive wherever you end up and it’s great they have eachother to help ease the move. Sending you wellwishes that you all make new friends quickly in your new home ☘️

Sunscreen.

Lots and lots of sunscreen.

Lots.

Florida. In July.

We bathed in the stuff.

It just takes so freaking long! And then your kids are annoyed at you, your hands are all icky, and you feel kind of like crap for a few minutes but you sure as heck can't complain about the stickiness because you told your kids a dozen times they needed to just suck it up and tolerate sunscreen because it was way less awful than sunburn. As a kid who burned a ton, I am genuinely grateful that 2022 formulas actually work, even on my pasty skin. But, darn is that stuff a hassle!

Well, add not having to help with sunscreen to that fantasy list.

I fear that's much, much longer down the list. Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I think we've got quite a while on this particular milestone.

But then! Then it was time for a few photos in front of Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway.

Bad mom admission: on the days we were getting to the parks extra early, I would hold off on sunscreening until we got pictures so that we all still looked fresh and ungreased. Photo in front of castle -> head to the Tomorrowland rope -> sunscreen while we wait in the clump.

After aliens were released and lots of balloons were popped, it was time to see my score.

Best I’d ever gotten!
I was feeling really good.
This was a pretty lucky morning, after all.

Then we swung around to see the screen that listed the best in vehicle.

Oh dear, that's, I feel your pain! Only a measly thousand points???

First park day is off to a great start!!! Hopefully Evie find the most perfect magic band! I really need to try Gideons.

Slinky Dog Dash for the first hour of park opening!

Impressive!!!

But get a coveted spot near the walkway? You feel like you just beat the system.

More good karma.

So far, this was an excellent morning. The adrenaline was through the roof.

You're having a great morning.

When it was our turn to get on Slinky, Alex rode in front with Evie, while I sat with Landon. And near the end of the ride, I heard my daughter shout, “I still don’t like this!!!”

John Paul doesn't like it either.

We were on and off before our 9:30 arrival time for TSMM, so I thought it only fitting we make up for torturing Evie and take her on an attraction she loved.

John Paul and Evie would get along, he loves Aliens too.

My blessed husband got 1,000 more points than me!

OH dear!

I know how to show people some hospitality…::yes:::laughing:
Yikes! That's just brutal!
*Friends, I am truly humbled. Thank you all so much for reading my intro and following along on this crazy journey. If someone would have told me twelve years ago that I would still be documenting my trips to Disney, still talking with fellow Disney lovers about all things mouse-related, I would have said they were crazy. But making that first post, thinking about when I’d be able to write my next update, it brought all the joy of vacation back to me. So thank you for allowing me to live in the magic just a teensy bit longer.*
This is what I love about the TRs. I know I'm not nearly as active here as I used to be a few years ago, but the friendships made here and reliving those experiences with their trips always lifts the spirits. Its fun to live those fun moments vicariously through others and to maybe spark a memory that hits close to home as well.

I remember coming downstairs, looking him dead in the eyes and saying, “Everything is closed. I literally just checked.”

I go to our car, get in the passenger seat, and watch as Alex runs up the stairs to check everything.
It's a dad thing.
And it was while we were sitting here, munching on some grapes (eat the fruit first! Can’t take those bad boys off the plane.) that Landon made the comment, “It’s like we’re watching a race where everyone loses.”
You've got a smart kid, there.
Four hours early, and we only had about twenty minutes to spare!
Yikes!
WE FORGOT THE TICKETS!!!!!!!!!
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit and I wasn't even sitting in a plane over the Atlantic when I read it.
Thank our lucky stars I realized what was happening in time and got him to a trash can, and as I stood there holding my kid’s hair, I said to myself, “This is about right.”
Apparently he reacted to the ticket news the same way I did.

Wouldn't be vacation if a kid doesn't get sick. I think that's like a law or something.
Gotta love travel days.
We “should” have our Disney tickets squared away, and that was our first set of theme parks, anyway. Alex and I agreed that we would go do Disney and figure out Universal down the road.
I guess the one good aspect of this is that if push comes to shove, you could at least still get Universal tickets if you need to replace them. I mean, you know, no pesky reservation system or anything to cause more chaos.
I love Taco Bell.

Yeah, I said it.
This update is just full of risky topics.

Besides serving me tortillas and cheese, two necessary food groups for me, Taco Bell is cheap. The four of us can walk away for under twenty bucks, and knowing we were about to be going to Disney….I needed the monetary win.
Solid logic. I can't disagree with it.
They are two different flavor combos! I either want something fruity or I want something chocolatey. Not both at the same time!
Agreed.
My peanut butter cup cake was behind the counter.
Clearly our dessert tastes are very similar in a lot of ways.
Then again, Gideon’s is on Disney property. And if there’s a company that likes to complicate things, it’s them. Disney probably loves their system.
Truer words have never been spoken.
I don’t like it.
Not one bit.

But I also am a sucker for sticking to the rules. And in the world of Disney, the early bird gets the worm.
Sad, but true.
Alex and I take Toy Story Midway Mania serious.
As you should.
I would have been fine had it been a blowout, but just a measly thousand points.

That was cruel.

I declared then and there that we would be having a rematch later on in the trip. I needed redemption!

We had no idea what the rest of our Disney trip held in store for us, but one thing was already certain. We WOULD be riding TSMM again.
Ouch!!! Hopefully you can at least get a best 2 out of 3. :rolleyes1

Baymax balloon? He must be new- I don't remember him last spring!
Acacia also dislikes Slinky- and everyone else loves it! Last trip, we had her wait in line with us, and then the cast members showed her the chicken exits, and she met us at the end. It kept everyone happy.
My hubby always beats me at TSM- I only seem to do well when he's not there! LOL

Cloe here! (new username lol) but excited to read all about your trip! I'm glad the disney ticket debacle worked out for you guys! I actually did the same thing many moons ago on a trip when magicbands were first a thing. I had bought the tickets and picked up magicbands for me, my mom and sister but of course my Dad and Dan felt like they didnt need them. Well I completely forgot to pack the physical tickets and had the same realization moment as we were pulling onto disney property! lol our only saving grace was that they were somehow able to pull up the tickets from my credit card that I used to buy them. Idk why I didn't have an email confirmation? but this was like 12 years ago so who knows what was going on back then! lmao!

I did not sleep one wink that first night just waiting for concierge at the Dolphin to open up so I could remedy the issue! lol I literally ran down with whatever makeup was on my face and I think pajamas as soon as they opened. I remember seeing the same guy later in the day and he made a comment about me being dressed for the day now lolol

Wow you are off to an amazing start !! I feel you in the pain of applying sunscreen though. Thankfully those days are done for me unless it’s helping get the grandkids covered.

Is this why you are pushing for a Christmas trip with the grandkids?? Less sunscreen hassle. :rotfl:

Every time I read a TR from this past summer all I think of is the things we didn’t get to do 😞.

Oh, no! It has to be tough, for sure, but you just have to focus on the positives. You finally returned! You got to take in the sights and sounds of the Yacht Club resort area. You rode a brand new attraction! That's a big one. I mean, how often does something new open and we get to experience it within the first 6 months of opening. ::yes::
And you can use this as motivation to convince everyone to have a re-do trip. (Or one with the grandkids. Or a solo getaway...:laughing:)

It just takes so freaking long! And then your kids are annoyed at you, your hands are all icky, and you feel kind of like crap for a few minutes but you sure as heck can't complain about the stickiness because you told your kids a dozen times they needed to just suck it up and tolerate sunscreen because it was way less awful than sunburn.

So. Long. And the minute you put it on your face, the heat just gets trapped there and it's like a que for your body to start sweating and making yourself grosser.
I really wish we had more options for traveling. :rotfl: Only 12 more years of working around school schedules for me!

Bad mom admission: on the days we were getting to the parks extra early, I would hold off on sunscreening until we got pictures so that we all still looked fresh and ungreased.

I understand this.

The Genie + gods were with you that day!!! What a great start to the trip.

It was a really great introduction to the Genie + system!

First park day is off to a great start!!! Hopefully Evie find the most perfect magic band! I really need to try Gideons.

Hopefully you'll be able to try Gideon's one day. When we were at Disney Springs around 2-3 p.m., the wait was only ten minutes, so maybe that's a good time to try. Otherwise, that line can get really long.

You're having a great morning.

It was a magical park morning. Definitely made us feel extra grateful to be back in the parks.

John Paul doesn't like it either.

I laughed when I read your update and it said "NOT Slinky Dog Dash." Yes, him and Evie would probably be ride buddies.

Joining in..love your style of writing. cant wait to hear the rest

Thanks for following along!

This is what I love about the TRs. I know I'm not nearly as active here as I used to be a few years ago, but the friendships made here and reliving those experiences with their trips always lifts the spirits. Its fun to live those fun moments vicariously through others and to maybe spark a memory that hits close to home as well.

Welcome back! It's always great to see on the DIS. And I saw on another TR that you have a Spring Break trip planned. That's awesome! Except, your kids are, what, practically old enough to drive now, right? :rotfl: :sad:

Wouldn't be vacation if a kid doesn't get sick. I think that's like a law or something.

Ain't that the truth.

I mean, you know, no pesky reservation system or anything to cause more chaos.

Alex hated that park pass system and the inability to park hop until 2 p.m. Disney makes their rules so complicated. I forget how difficult Disney trip planning is until we go somewhere else and I see the extra hoops Disney makes us jump through.

Clearly our dessert tastes are very similar in a lot of ways.

Peanut butter and chocolate is the perfect flavor combination. ::yes::

Baymax balloon? He must be new- I don't remember him last spring!

I think they put him up around the premiere of the Big Hero 6 tv show release. I don't know, to me he it was an odd display to have out in front of DHS. :confused3

Acacia also dislikes Slinky- and everyone else loves it! Last trip, we had her wait in line with us, and then the cast members showed her the chicken exits, and she met us at the end. It kept everyone happy.

Smart idea. By the next time Evie goes to Disney, she'll probably be old enough that we can let her do that. On multiple attractions...:sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter