• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

There is a new thread:* Don't post here* 2014 BC&YC FAQ *MAY-SEPT 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

Well, its back to reality after an amazing 21 nights in Florida. The highlights of the trip were swimming with dolphins at Discovery Cove, staying overnight at the darkside and the Frozen Summer at Hollywood Studios.

The lows were we never got our Magic Bands package (we have to pick them up at checkin as Disney don’t ship to the UK) and poor service at a couple of Disney restaurants. Akershus in Norway and the Captains Grille at the Yacht Club. In Norway Stephen waited 20 minutes for a beer I waited over 30 minutes for a bottle of wine to appear. We sent our entrees away as we were waiting on drinks with our apps. The manager was really apologetic and didn’t charge for the wine.

At Captains Grille it was strangely quiet last Saturday night. We had reservations at 7.55pm and there were only a few tables occupied. The lady at the table behind me was complaining about her wait and the family across were having a discussion amongst themselves and then with the manageress. We ordered apps and were only part way through when the entrées arrived. There was no room on the table for them and the girl just stood looking at us. I informed her we were ready for them and she said she could put them under the heat lamp. No was my reply, and at that point our server appeared and agreed that we would get fresh meals. When we were ready, our entrees were brought out and were only just warm. Back they went. At this point I called over the manageress to express my displeasure and to point out that I seemed to be not the only one complaining tonight. She was very unhelpful and informed me that the family across were actually having a “magical moment” and they had a child with special needs, I cut her off and informed her that yes, I know they have an autistic child, and that I had heard them complaining. (in my mind, giving a family a tub of cereal to appease their child is not a Magical Moment). Manageress leaves as entrée number 3 arrives. Manageress returns a few minutes later to check all is okay. I ask for spoons for the pasta dishes. Back she comes with spoons for husband and daughter and I ignore her and continue with my steak. My husband is not impressed and waves a teaspoon under my nose!!!!!!!! I then have to call over our server for appropriate spoons (she is also not impressed). When the manageress checks back I asked her to cancel our lunch reservation for the next day, we paid and left without having dessert as it was our last night and we wanted to see the Frozen fireworks on the beach. Later when I checked the app, our lunch was still showing so I went to Concierge who cancelled it for me.

We did actually end up having lunch at Captains Grille on our last day and everything was perfect (as had been our dinner the week previous).

We had a lovely room at Yacht Club on the 4th floor overlooking the quiet pool. Having read a few comments about people complaining about the rooms on other forums and how do people find time to pick out faults, I found myself lifting covers and moving curtains to have a nosey, and yes, there were some signs of wear and tear. One of the sinks in the room had areas in it where the coating had peeled away. The furniture had numerous scuff marks the worst being the beds which actually looked as though the Mousekeepers had dragged the vacuum cleaner too close to them on a daily basis. One morning I was mortified to spill my coffee down the side of the drawers and when I mopped it up, I realised I had created a really clean section on the skirting boards. But, all in all, the room was good and as I said, I did go looking for the faults. Nearly forgot, I had to ask for a new hairdryer as everytime I switched the first one on, all the lights flickered!
I did manage to partake of a Sunken Treasure at the bar and it was delicious. Paige loved the pool. We did seem to spend a lot more time in the parks this trip, but I think that was because at 10 Paige is more willing to be up for longer hours.

One final highlight. Our last day we got to meet with Teena and spend a fair bit of time chatting.

Now I need to plan our next trip!

Hi all! It's been a very long while since I've visited this page! It looks as though we have another upcoming trip for May 2015, which I am very pumped for!! Woohoo!

We stayed YC CL and have been completely converted to CL stays! (It certainly has made the trip with my dad a lot better! Happy dad, happy trip! Munchies for days) I saw the announcement that the CL lounges are getting refurbs. Is anyone here aware of how long these things take? (I know, that can be a redundant question on the disboards). When you book a room, do they let you know the possibility of a refurb happening? We'd prefer to stay in YC again, but I'm just wondering about the timeline of the refurbs if it's a possibility that YC will be going through the refurbishment during that time. Any ideas??? Thanks all :)

Hi everyone,

Well, its back to reality after an amazing 21 nights in Florida. The highlights of the trip were swimming with dolphins at Discovery Cove, staying overnight at the darkside and the Frozen Summer at Hollywood Studios.

The lows were we never got our Magic Bands package (we have to pick them up at checkin as Disney don’t ship to the UK) and poor service at a couple of Disney restaurants. Akershus in Norway and the Captains Grille at the Yacht Club. In Norway Stephen waited 20 minutes for a beer I waited over 30 minutes for a bottle of wine to appear. We sent our entrees away as we were waiting on drinks with our apps. The manager was really apologetic and didn’t charge for the wine.

At Captains Grille it was strangely quiet last Saturday night. We had reservations at 7.55pm and there were only a few tables occupied. The lady at the table behind me was complaining about her wait and the family across were having a discussion amongst themselves and then with the manageress. We ordered apps and were only part way through when the entrées arrived. There was no room on the table for them and the girl just stood looking at us. I informed her we were ready for them and she said she could put them under the heat lamp. No was my reply, and at that point our server appeared and agreed that we would get fresh meals. When we were ready, our entrees were brought out and were only just warm. Back they went. At this point I called over the manageress to express my displeasure and to point out that I seemed to be not the only one complaining tonight. She was very unhelpful and informed me that the family across were actually having a “magical moment” and they had a child with special needs, I cut her off and informed her that yes, I know they have an autistic child, and that I had heard them complaining. (in my mind, giving a family a tub of cereal to appease their child is not a Magical Moment). Manageress leaves as entrée number 3 arrives. Manageress returns a few minutes later to check all is okay. I ask for spoons for the pasta dishes. Back she comes with spoons for husband and daughter and I ignore her and continue with my steak. My husband is not impressed and waves a teaspoon under my nose!!!!!!!! I then have to call over our server for appropriate spoons (she is also not impressed). When the manageress checks back I asked her to cancel our lunch reservation for the next day, we paid and left without having dessert as it was our last night and we wanted to see the Frozen fireworks on the beach. Later when I checked the app, our lunch was still showing so I went to Concierge who cancelled it for me.

We did actually end up having lunch at Captains Grille on our last day and everything was perfect (as had been our dinner the week previous).

We had a lovely room at Yacht Club on the 4th floor overlooking the quiet pool. Having read a few comments about people complaining about the rooms on other forums and how do people find time to pick out faults, I found myself lifting covers and moving curtains to have a nosey, and yes, there were some signs of wear and tear. One of the sinks in the room had areas in it where the coating had peeled away. The furniture had numerous scuff marks the worst being the beds which actually looked as though the Mousekeepers had dragged the vacuum cleaner too close to them on a daily basis. One morning I was mortified to spill my coffee down the side of the drawers and when I mopped it up, I realised I had created a really clean section on the skirting boards. But, all in all, the room was good and as I said, I did go looking for the faults. Nearly forgot, I had to ask for a new hairdryer as everytime I switched the first one on, all the lights flickered!
I did manage to partake of a Sunken Treasure at the bar and it was delicious. Paige loved the pool. We did seem to spend a lot more time in the parks this trip, but I think that was because at 10 Paige is more willing to be up for longer hours.

One final highlight. Our last day we got to meet with Teena and spend a fair bit of time chatting.

Now I need to plan our next trip!

Can you tell me about Discovery Cove?

(9/2) the lazy river was closed for refurbishment. They put the tubes in other parts of the pool but of course it just was not the same as the water is still. We asked how long it would be closed but everyone said they didn't know. Just a heads up for anyone going in the next couple of days, I am not sure if it's back already or not but I did hear plenty of complaints from people in the pool.

Has anyone else heard any news about how long the lazy river will be closed? (We are arriving Sat)

hill6 said:
Just seen that they add video of your Tower of Terror ride now to it.

Video? Cool.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards

Wow, we were neighbors! We were there from 8/28 - 9/2 in room 3176. I liked the location, being close to elevators (which were the fastest I've ever seen at WDW) and lobby. We booked a standard view which is what we got, the front of the resort but we really didn't hang out there much so no big deal. However, we did get the big shared balcony. It was shared with 3 other rooms I think, just one giant space then 2 chairs & table in front of each door. Luckily we hardly ever saw our balcony-mates, and heard no noise, but if we had the type of neighbors we did at CSR 2 years ago it would have been a big issue and we would have asked to move. I will post a pic of the balcony later. Loved everything about the YC, the only place we ate there though was Crews Cup which we really enjoyed. We spent most of our time at the parks so we only used the pool a few times but that was great as well. I did go over to BC Marketplace once for a few things and I did spot the famous Teena in the lobby. She was busy with another guest though so I didn't get a chance to say hi. Staff was really helpful and friendly, the concierge helped us make more FP+ for a 2nd park later in the day so we wouldn't have to go find a kiosk at the park. Our housekeeper was kind of odd, I saw her in the hallway and asked for some extra regular coffee so she handed me 1. I asked for one more and she sighed and begrudgingly gave me another one. Ok then...at that price I think a few cups of coffee isn't too much to ask for! DH and I both like at least 2 cups before facing the world. We would definitely stay here again (with a discount of course) since we LOVED being able to walk to Epcot. The only buses we really waited on was for MK, over 30 minutes for one.

Oh how funny!!! Small world :) now I'm here hoping you weren't the neighbor I was referring to in my post as being noisy or I am really going to feel terrible :(

We did like the location as well since it was really easy to get too and close to everything but I'm sure it contributed to the noise factor quite a bit. DH sleeps like a rock and even if he hears noise he has no problem falling back to sleep, I on the other hand am the total opposite!

Our balcony had dividers/a wall separating the space so luckily it didn't feel too much like a shared balcony. Either way with that view we didn't spend too much time there lol I only really went out there to put wet bathing suits to dry.

We really did love our time there & we can't wait to return!

Oh how funny!!! Small world :) now I'm here hoping you weren't the neighbor I was referring to in my post as being noisy or I am really going to feel terrible :(

We did like the location as well since it was really easy to get too and close to everything but I'm sure it contributed to the noise factor quite a bit. DH sleeps like a rock and even if he hears noise he has no problem falling back to sleep, I on the other hand am the total opposite!

Our balcony had dividers/a wall separating the space so luckily it didn't feel too much like a shared balcony. Either way with that view we didn't spend too much time there lol I only really went out there to put wet bathing suits to dry.

We really did love our time there & we can't wait to return!

LOL, I don't think we were "those" neighbors. We have just one 11 year old DD who is not rowdy or loud at all, she would stumble back to the room after midnight with us and immediately crash. We were just far enough away from the ice machine and elevator to not hear it, but close enough that we didn't have to walk far. We've been directly across from an elevator on a cruise before and it's annoying.

After finishing my 6th straight June vacation at YC I realized I forgot to report in the details. Great trip. We did club this year after NOT doing it last year but we HAD done it the previous 4 summers. It was ok - we had a friend for DD and the girls really made use of the lounge for drinks and extra space etc so for that reason it was a good value.

I am so picky on décor and rooms being tired etc. but I have to say I was just fine with YC. Just as I left it the previous June. Lovely!

Sad that NEXT June I won't be returning...we are doing an Adventures by Disney trip instead. I think 6 straight years of June at WDW has filled us up :)

Although I am taking DD16 to WDW during spring break 2015 but we are on a budget trip so are at POR since I am spending a fair bit on the ABD trip!!!

Missed seeing my buddy Teena but will be in the following summer for sure for our meet up and catch up. The manager we had at YC was FANTASTIC, we had several issues with tickets and magic bands along with someone in the IPO office being pretty disrespectful but other than that, delightful trip. We were there 11 days (split trip between GFV and YC and YC still our fave!)

Here's the balcony we had, I think it would be great if traveling with a big group and you'd know that you'd get those rooms. On the other hand, it could be a real nightmare. Thankfully we had no problems.

I will post a brief trip report soon, but wanted to post this photo of our first view. We had standard view, club level. I was hoping for anything but room 5238 (check out the worst view thread). I requested close to the lounge. We got 5232. I think by 5228 you might be safe from the dumpster view. The sound of the service vehicles backing up at 5 in the morning would have driven me nuts before too long, so I'm very happy they were able to move us.

I went to the concierge desk and asked if there was anything else we could get. I didn't mind rooftop or parking lot, since that's in the description. But the dumpsters had to go. They were able to move us the next day. This is the view from that room. I didn't get a shot from the other direction - you see the front of the resort where cars pull in. It was perfect. And much closer to the lounge. The room was 5188.

Well ds and I are back from our one day at the Yacht Club.

It was short, sweet and great.

I booked a standard room with dh ff miles. When we arrived we were thrilled to be told that we were upgraded to a water view. It was a wonderful view of the lake and right across from espn. Ds loved sitting on the balcony and enjoying the view.

Everything was great. It did take a while for the concierge to add this resort onto our magic bands.I had an old band with a new ap and ds had a band from guest services at hollywood studios because I bought an old band but it was not his, so they were nice and gave him a new band. None of the old ones had the names on them that I brought for him.

We swan in storm along bay twice.

I think I saw someone ask how long the lazy river pool was being closed. One of the cms told me about 7 days and that was tues. That was also my favorite pool too so I was disappointed but we tried the kiddie type pool, no way, too shallow, so we did the other main pool which was fine for us. Ds thought the slide was too rough on his back and he is a lifeguard, so he only did it once.

We ate at Captains Grille for the breakfast buffet and really liked it.

We also had dinner at Beaches and Cream. Sorry, this place was a total disappointment this time. They got rid of the turkey club which was my favorite. I just got a cheeseburger. Ds got the chef salad. I think the burger tasted strange. I even had ds try it. He didnt care for it either and we thought the texture was strange, almost mushy.. I asked for medium. Also the salad came out drenched in dressing I think it would be better with it on the side. Or alot less for sure. We also ordered 2 scoop sundae. I asked for butter pecan and mint. I got all mint and no butter pecan. I told the server and she gave me a cup of bp to go. Ds also asked for a to go cup. We both thought it was strange they gave us the cup and no lid.

And if any of these people we saw were disers
Little girl in the elevator who loves Princess Sofia - cutie!
Girl who saw me get confused about whether we were on the 3rd or 4th floor. Dont listen to my ds, No I dont have early alzheimers but sometimes I have memory issues.

I wish the bounceback was for a room discount instead of free dining, so we didnt book anything. I hope that is the current offer because that is what was in our packet.

We did take a taxi to downtown disney for La Nouba. It was good because ds wanted to swim as long as possible before we had to leave for the show.

We are staying at BC and my one request was full balcony... We arrive early in morning (flight lands at 9:30).. Do you think an early arrival gives us better odds to ask for full if we didn't get assigned one? I got to change my room at POR last time when we got there early... TIA

It is forever away, but we will be at the BC 12/4/15 - 12/12/15.

We ended up staying offsite our last few trips in a pool villa because we had extra family coming to spend time with us. To resolve that issue, we're renting a house in Destin in May for the extended family trip and next December it will just be me, DH, and our then 4 year old DD!

We've stayed at YC before, but this is our first at the BC and our first CL. We *might* switch to a 1 bedroom villa at BCV when they open up reservations to the public, but really wanting to try CL.

Been following this group for years so while I'm new to you all, many of you seem like old friends LOL.

We are staying at BC and my one request was full balcony... We arrive early in morning (flight lands at 9:30).. Do you think an early arrival gives us better odds to ask for full if we didn't get assigned one? I got to change my room at POR last time when we got there early... TIA

We got a full balcony in March. It was our only request, our flight landed around 9:40 am, and it was a Wednesday morning. So I'm not sure if the early arrival helped or if arriving mid-week helped, but we were happy. :)

Sorry if this has been asked but I couldn't find the answer searching through the disboards app.

I'm booked garden view club level. Are there King bed rooms with day beds?

I found only one website that says they exist but others including Disney don't show this as an option. I think my room request doesnt actually exist...

For someone reason, the BC/YC loves to book DD and I in king rooms, which we hate. One year we got a floor room at BC that had a king in it and a daybed that we had to spend one night in before switching. I am thinking there was a curtain between them, too, that you could pull. This summer the YC tried to put us in a King room again but luckly this time when we checked in the CM realized that we probably would prefer a double room and changed it. The room we got, must not be used a lot. The TV was unplugged as well as the fridge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter