Therapist recommended das

ShannyMcB

DIS Veteran
Hello. Looking for some input. My daughter is very young and has some sensory issues. Her therapist recommended we try for DAS as part of her issues require her to be able to see our mouths when we speak to her...which will be an issue with the new inqueue requirements. We have a limited supply of "smile masks" but the fogging on those does not always give her the visual she needs.
Is it worth it to spend the time waiting in line for a DAS? I know no one here can say yes or no as to if one will be issued. But what are others experiences with sensory issue DAS? How in depth do I need to get?
She also puts EVERYTHING in her mouth and the odds of her licking a stranger or grabbing a stray piece of popcorn off the ground in a 45 min queue....well.....a 10 min queue the odds of that are way less.

I can’t speak for each cast member…but when we went last year I had a whole list of things that I wanted to say and “proof” to overly explain my child’s anxiety issues. But luckily, the cast member just heard “she has anxiety” and went about issuing the DAS. I was so thankful and expressed that to them. It’s not as scary of a process as I imagined it would be and it helped greatly as my daughter would skip attractions all together if the lines were too much for her.
It’s always worth a try!

Sensory issues 100% fall under DAS. Like the others said though the mask requirement is non-negotiable as long as its in place. If you aren't 100% clear on how DAS works: You check in at the podium(CM with the iPad usually under an umbrella), get a return time, return anytime after that time, and then you enter the FP line. At the moment with no FP for regular guests it makes for a very very short wait. Some rides of course have areas where the FP meets the standard queue so there is alway a chance of some waiting.

Thanks. I would 100% expect some type of wait. Her mask wearing is improving but if we have to wait around for a LONG time without her being able to see our whole face it could be stressful for her.

I’d work with her on the mask issue. There can be times you are in a FP queue for 20+ minutes, plus the length of the attraction, including if there are any stoppages or delays. I’ve experienced more than my share of ride issues and now pretty much expect at least once or twice per visit to be on a ride that has some kind of issue leaving us in the vehicle for longer than usual.

Also I didn’t catch when you plan to visit, but just be aware rules may change at any time - more or less restrictive. Possibly with little notice.

I don’t know. I ordered a box but found them uncomfortable so didn’t use them.

Hello. Looking for some input. My daughter is very young and has some sensory issues. Her therapist recommended we try for DAS as part of her issues require her to be able to see our mouths when we speak to her...which will be an issue with the new inqueue requirements. We have a limited supply of "smile masks" but the fogging on those does not always give her the visual she needs.
Is it worth it to spend the time waiting in line for a DAS? I know no one here can say yes or no as to if one will be issued. But what are others experiences with sensory issue DAS? How in depth do I need to get?
She also puts EVERYTHING in her mouth and the odds of her licking a stranger or grabbing a stray piece of popcorn off the ground in a 45 min queue....well.....a 10 min queue the odds of that are way less.

Have you thought of getting a stroller as wheelchair tag so she can't go licking strangers and eating off the ground? That might give her a shelter from other sensory issues as well.

Have you thought of getting a stroller as wheelchair tag so she can't go licking strangers and eating off the ground? That might give her a shelter from other sensory issues as well.

I think that would be a good solution for the OP. I admit, I cringed when I read that she might lick strangers.

Sometimes you have to ask if this is the right vacation for her at this point in her life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter