Theme park inflation

I feel the yearly inflation is quite steep, especially for the non-theme park ticket items. Hotel rates, food, DCL, even photopass have yearly increases much more than inflation. I feel the spikes in the "premium" experiences are some of the highest increases. In 2012, a premium tour for WDW was $300/hr for 6 hrs. It was $400/hr in 2015, and the rate is even more now with higher minimum number of hours. DCL concierge yearly increases are similar. In 2014, 7 night cat V on Fantasy was about $11K for 4, its over $16K for same room same ship, same week for 2018. The pricing power for the "experience" items is strong.

Honestly the cost increase we are finding in the Disney vacations is transportation. The days of $150-175 flights RT on SW are gone. Now we are lucky to find under $250 on any airline. Driving is becoming more of an option going forward.

Hotel costs have skyrocketed. We are looking at Seattle for a 5 day trip in June. Flights(1600) and hotel(1400) are nearly 3K alone. Add in rental, food, tickets, etc and 5 days is 5K. It's cheaper to fly to Ireland for a trip. $300 a night beachfront in a hotel anywhere along the Atlantic coast is common in the summer anymore-we used to get condos for $1000 a week.

Ticket costs at Disney have increased, but playing the 2 trip in a 12 month period and DVC discounts make that game a little easier on the wallet. I haven't seen food costs at Disney increase as fast as some of the other costs.

I honestly haven’t seen an obvious yearly increase. We always book through discounts with the travel agent & haven’t noticed a huge difference year to year. Looking back years ago, trips were much cheaper, but we also do things now that cost more so it’s hard to make a direct comparison.

We stayed at the Royal Pacific. That is one of the deluxe ones, I think. It was nice, but I didn’t find it to be special. It was also nearly $500 a night (quite a bit more than we are paying for the Poly) The rooms were quite small for 5 people; smaller than the Poly. I see they’ve remodeled them since we went 2 years ago. They look nicer now.

Citywalk was nice and we spent one day in Legoland. It was a nice trip but not really a lot less than Disney, though it was a shorter trip.

Wow is right. We stayed at Royal Pacific December 16-20, 2017 and paid $199 per night using an AP rate!

Last edited:

Just griping right now, but just had to give up on a dream trip staying at the Contemporary. Frustrating and disappointing, but what can you do if you can't afford it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter