Theater Banning Men From Two Showings of Wonder Woman

I get it. Just sucks:( Honestly, the whole thing makes me a bit sad. A good night of non-mean girl commaderie should be encouraged, and that anyone wouldn't want that, just...ugh. This is why we can't have nice things, eh?

My guess is that the best thing they could do is just let him in and ignorant him, and recommend that anyone attending do the same. Definitely they shouldn't let any press in without a ticket, and in any case I'd think that they could even kick any press out who bought a ticket.

I brought my kid with me to a "father-child" camping trip sponsored by a parents' organization at my kid's school. Originally it was "father-son", but they didn't really do anything when girls were brought in and changed the name of the trip. On our trip one mom even came along. It wasn't a big deal though.

Surely such a minor event wouldn't get to that point. I just see that possibility as hyperbole in the extreme. Of course, if someone presses the issue, I'm confident they could go, but they'd also be a giant butthole IMHO.

So the girls who pressed the issue to get into Scouts when they had Girl Guides are giant buttholes too?

So the girls who pressed the issue to get into Scouts when they had Girl Guides are giant buttholes too?

Its about 2 showings, not a whole organization. I enjoy the women's only paint nights, barre classes, and I'd enjoy something like this - mainly because I've had to deal with jerks at all of them in a mixed setting. It shouldn't be a big deal to have a couple of charity showings and IDK why a guy would decide to join in except to be a jerk. I'm sure that individual wouldn't be turned away, but it'd be petty, just in my estimation, if someone felt they needed to break up the party. We're not talking about systemic discrimination, at all. In which case, I would agree with you whole heartedly. It's also why I've stayed out of the discussion about girls only classes, etc. I don't have a fully formed opinion on that, and see value in both view points. An all woman showing on Wonder Woman? Yeah - I'm for it and can't think of a decent reason a man would see such an event and say "well, pfft to that."

Its about 2 showings, not a whole organization. I enjoy the women's only paint nights, barre classes, and I'd enjoy something like this - mainly because I've had to deal with jerks at all of them in a mixed setting. It shouldn't be a big deal to have a couple of charity showings and IDK why a guy would decide to join in except to be a jerk. I'm sure that individual wouldn't be turned away, but it'd be petty, just in my estimation, if someone felt they needed to break up the party. We're not talking about systemic discrimination, at all. In which case, I would agree with you whole heartedly. It's also why I've stayed out of the discussion about girls only classes, etc. I don't have a fully formed opinion on that, and see value in both view points. An all woman showing on Wonder Woman? Yeah - I'm for it and can't think of a decent reason a man would see such an event and say "well, pfft to that."

It's actually not really about 2 showings, it's about a society systematically allowing women's only events of all types but not affording men the same opportunities.
For example Scouts was forced to allow girls but Girl Guides does not allow boys to join.
Lions clubs were pressured into allowing women but Altrusa does not allow men.
It's ladies nights, women's gyms, and girls only classes.
None of these things as a singular event are an issue but them taken as a whole certainly is.

For example Scouts was forced to allow girls but Girl Guides does not allow boys to join.

In the US, Boy Scout troops are for boys only (which includes female-to-male transgender boys). While there are BSA options for girls (Venture Crew, STEM Scouts), the largest portion of the BSA organization remains just for boys. Source: Our family is heavily involved in scouting.

What girls forced themselves into Boy Scouts/Cub Scouts? Please provide proof of these girls demanding they have been let it. I follow scouts news and have never heard girls forcing their way into a cub scout troop.

Ok I looked it up and a handful of girls asked. Guess what? They were all told no as they should be! I'm with the boy scouts that as long as you are identifying as a girl you don't belong in the official cub/boy scouts. I was an honorary member of the cub scouts as a kid but I wasn't allowed to get badged, go to camp ,or do anything official. I just got to hang out with the tiger cubs as my bff's dad and mom were the din master and he begged them.

What girls forced themselves into Boy Scouts/Cub Scouts? Please provide proof of these girls demanding they have been let it. I follow scouts news and have never heard girls forcing their way into a cub scout troop.

Not in the US. Scouts New Zealand added girls gradually over the years. Their history is that girls could be full members since 1987.

http://www.scouts.org.nz/

The term "Girl Guides" should be a tipoff that the discussion isn't about the United States.

Not in the US. Scouts New Zealand apparently changed its name to reflect the inclusion of girls.

http://www.scouts.org.nz/

The term "Girl Guides" should be a tipoff that the discussion isn't about the United States.

Didn't even register the guide part! Thanks. Yeah not ok with it unless the organization choses to do it themselves not being forced to do it.

Didn't even register the guide part! Thanks. Yeah not ok with it unless the organization choses to do it themselves not being forced to do it.

FYI for anyone - I modified my post. Apparently the name was changed well before the inclusion of girls, but I thought it was changed to reflect inclusion of girls.

I remember the first time I heard the term. It was an English expat doing a local TV show as a gardening expert. He was suggesting something about contacting scouting organizations about something like wildflower hikes. However, it threw me for a loop when the language he used was "Boy Scouts or Girl Guides", with the latter a term that Baden-Powell specifically chose.

Look - if the theater said that all screenings for the entire run would be for women only, that wouldn’t be right. But this is literally a special event screening (two, now that the first sold out). Every other screening for the rest of the run (which will be for weeks) is for everyone. It’s not sexist, it’s just a party.
::yes:: Look at this late-night event as a charitable event that the theater itself is sponsoring. Anyone who wants to sponsor a similar event for men only can certainly do so by renting out the venue for an evening.
It's actually not really about 2 showings, it's about a society systematically allowing women's only events of all types but not affording men the same opportunities.
No, it's really about a single showing that proved so popular the venue added a second showing that same night, five days AFTER the movie debuts at what is far from the only venue in that city showing that movie that night.
Not in the US.
Zero idea what Altrusa is, but fraternal organizations in the US have female members and have for a while.

None of these things as a singular event are an issue but them taken as a whole certainly i
No. A venue of even a chain opting for a very rare single sex event is not an issue. This event is not a permanent change, while the examples you provided are.

It's hilarious that some people are getting upset about this. My guess is many are the same people always complaining about others getting upset too easily. It's funny how quickly their tune changes when the shoe is on the other foot.
Nothing is stopping these whiners from organizing a men only screening.

OP here. Just thought I would check-in. There seems to be a broad spectrum of opinion on this, which is about what I expected.

Thank you bcla for chiming in on the legality of the event.

It's ladies nights, women's gyms, and girls only classes.
None of these things as a singular event are an issue but them taken as a whole certainly is.

Maybe it is different there, but there are no shortage of mens-only venues here. Sportsmans/hunting clubs and quite a few fraternal organizations still don't allow women as members (though some of the latter have affiliated women's-only auxiliary clubs). There are still golf clubs that don't allow women to join, and plenty of men's-only recreational sports leagues. And while BSA does have some co-ed programs, girls aren't allowed to be Cub or Boy Scouts.

Also, some of those things you cite are a direct reaction to specific problems. In college, I and several of my friends quit going to the gym at all because we were sick of getting hit on. Have you ever heard of a man who didn't feel comfortable hitting the gym because of unwanted sexual advances? Or the participation gap mentioned up-thread... Have you ever heard of men dumbing themselves down to avoid standing out as too smart or too successful?

It's hilarious that some people are getting upset about this. My guess is many are the same people always complaining about others getting upset too easily. It's funny how quickly their tune changes when the shoe is on the other foot.
Nothing is stopping these whiners from organizing a men only screening.

Yep. I had a conversation with a couple of guys around the fire the other night about this. One is an avid golfer who will defend until his last breath the no-women-members rules at Augusta and St. Andrews, and another is a hunter who shoots twice a week at a club that doesn't allow women. But they both think it is terrible that a movie theatre is "discriminating" against men with these showings. :rotfl:

Maybe it is different there, but there are no shortage of mens-only venues here. Sportsmans/hunting clubs and quite a few fraternal organizations still don't allow women as members (though some of the latter have affiliated women's-only auxiliary clubs). There are still golf clubs that don't allow women to join, and plenty of men's-only recreational sports leagues. And while BSA does have some co-ed programs, girls aren't allowed to be Cub or Boy Scouts.

Also, some of those things you cite are a direct reaction to specific problems. In college, I and several of my friends quit going to the gym at all because we were sick of getting hit on. Have you ever heard of a man who didn't feel comfortable hitting the gym because of unwanted sexual advances? Or the participation gap mentioned up-thread... Have you ever heard of men dumbing themselves down to avoid standing out as too smart or too successful?

Yep. I had a conversation with a couple of guys around the fire the other night about this. One is an avid golfer who will defend until his last breath the no-women-members rules at Augusta and St. Andrews, and another is a hunter who shoots twice a week at a club that doesn't allow women. But they both think it is terrible that a movie theatre is "discriminating" against men with these showings. :rotfl:
You didn't necessarily say otherwise, but both Augusta and St. Andrews do now have a small number of female members.

I'm kind of torn on this. This is a situation where public accommodations laws come into effect, since it's a business that is normally open to the public. However, I get how it works, with more of a wink wink, nudge nudge understanding of most businesses that they rarely try to enforce it. I guess the best hope they can have is that the sentiment is understood.

Private clubs have a considerably different set of rules. They're not subject to public accommodations laws unless they use public resources. There was a case where a local Boy Scouts of America affiliate (Sea Scouts) wasn't allowed to use a public boat slip at a traditional discount rate for nonprofits because of the national organization's policies. They sued and lost in court.

Also - it was stated by someone else that Augusta National has recently admitted women. I think their first was the CEO of IBM. They were somewhat caving into the pressure, but at that point they also had a potential female member who had a high enough status that it seemed less like they were caving in. Years ago they admitted their first black member. It wouldn't be like Cypress Point Club (who some say has the best golf course in the world) where they basically said they wouldn't cave in and admit a woman as a member. They're even more exclusive than Augusta National. That's why they were pulled from the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am.

In the US, Boy Scout troops are for boys only (which includes female-to-male transgender boys). While there are BSA options for girls (Venture Crew, STEM Scouts), the largest portion of the BSA organization remains just for boys. Source: Our family is heavily involved in scouting.

Ok I looked it up and a handful of girls asked. Guess what? They were all told no as they should be! I'm with the boy scouts that as long as you are identifying as a girl you don't belong in the official cub/boy scouts. I was an honorary member of the cub scouts as a kid but I wasn't allowed to get badged, go to camp ,or do anything official. I just got to hang out with the tiger cubs as my bff's dad and mom were the din master and he begged them.

Zero idea what Altrusa is, but fraternal organizations in the US have female members and have for a while.

Not in the US.

I apologise, I was incorrect in assuming that the policies for Scouts were international.
Here in NZ Scouts is unisex after protests in the 80s. Girl Guides are specifically for girls.

And some of these "specific" problems go both ways, I worked for years as a personal trainer. It's not just girls being hit on, in fact the worst offenders of openly oggling and making suggestive "jokes" are middle aged women.
So yes have I heard of a man who was uncomfortable in a gym, for sure, I have also heard of men who didn't feel comfortable because of the mean girls who make fun of overweight people working out, something I have never seen a man do.

But it seems the issue I am discussing is not an issue in the US but more local to here in NZ. There are no men's clubs here, but plenty of women's. Women's rights have gone so far(and thankfully we have women's rights for loads of reasons) that I can see why it is now men who feel they are being discriminated against. A lot of reverse sexism going on.

I apologise, I was incorrect in assuming that the policies for Scouts were international.
Here in NZ Scouts is unisex after protests in the 80s. Girl Guides are specifically for girls.

There is a similar organization in the US that was previously called Camp Fire Girls of America. They were kind of a competitor of Girls Scouts of America and were known for selling candy instead of cookies. However, they changed their name and allowed boys in the 1970s. Apparently their mission statement emphasizes inclusion, so boys and atheists aren't denied membership.

http://campfire.org/experience/inclusion

And some of these "specific" problems go both ways, I worked for years as a personal trainer. It's not just girls being hit on, in fact the worst offenders of openly oggling and making suggestive "jokes" are middle aged women.
So yes have I heard of a man who was uncomfortable in a gym, for sure, I have also heard of men who didn't feel comfortable because of the mean girls who make fun of overweight people working out, something I have never seen a man do.

I don't think it's universal, but there are some concerns by straight males that gay men might be ogling them at the gym. I remember reading about some gay male hangout, and the odd thing that they had was a loop of advertisements for the Soloflex exercise machine showing shirtless men exercising on the machine. And that probably fed into every stereotype that many had of gay men.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter