• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The WISH - The Good, The Bad And The Ugly (Review)

I sailed on the Wish. I thought the ship was beautiful, I enjoyed having new menus. I agree they fell short in the adult areas and pools. I have sailed on over 20 DCL cruises, 10 Royal, three Carnival, five NCL, two Princess, two Celebrity. I can’t wrap my head around why DCL can’t get the pools right.

The lounges on the Wish are very small. I have a back to back coming up end of August which I am looking forward to but we are concierge and have the outdoor area there. I don’t think we will sail on the Wish again if not concierge really nowhere to gather unless getting there really early to get seats.

The shops were empty other than Mickeys Mainsail. Why they need three shops selling watches and jewelry I don’t get.

I sailed on the Wish. I thought the ship was beautiful, I enjoyed having new menus. I agree they fell short in the adult areas and pools. I have sailed on over 20 DCL cruises, 10 Royal, three Carnival, five NCL, two Princess, two Celebrity. I can’t wrap my head around why DCL can’t get the pools right.

The lounges on the Wish are very small. I have a back to back coming up end of August which I am looking forward to but we are concierge and have the outdoor area there. I don’t think we will sail on the Wish again if not concierge really nowhere to gather unless getting there really early to get seats.

The shops were empty other than Mickeys Mainsail. Why they need three shops selling watches and jewelry I don’t get.

On the MV is was mostly adults and I hoping that is why the lounges were so busy all the time. I hope when more kids are onboard the adults will be with the family more and possibly earlier to bed and lounges less crowded at night.

MJ

On the MV is was mostly adults and I hoping that is why the lounges were so busy all the time. I hope when more kids are onboard the adults will be with the family more and possibly earlier to bed and lounges less crowded at night.

MJ
However the size will still be an issue look at the photo I posted above. Pools are also an issue. While a lot they just are too small. For many of us avid cruisers, I enjoy relaxing and using pool. This ship will make it difficult due to size, regardless if there are more families onboard

We couldn’t get a seat in there until the last night on the Maiden…it is way too small…we loved keys and Cadillac lounge on the classic ships..and visited every evening for a little while..it’s a shame …I was excited when I heard that the Wish would have a piano bar.
I agree

However the size will still be an issue look at the photo I posted above. Pools are also an issue. While a lot they just are too small. For many of us avid cruisers, I enjoy relaxing and using pool. This ship will make it difficult due to size
Yes, I noticed that, too. On the classic ships I can swim laps when the pool is empty, but that won't be possible on the Wish. It's similar to no full walking/jogging track being available. Takes away non-gym exercise options.

I think there are some legitimate criticisms. Losing the walking track is a big deal for some guests. Moving the sports area indoors could be good or bad, depending on your personal preferences. There's no mini golf course, which some people will miss. The outdoor adults-only area needs more shade. And I understand why some people don't like the Marvel restaurant, though I think that I'll personally enjoy it.

But stuff like "less nautical" and "no sea views" just sounds like parroting what others have said without any real thought behind it. And since those criticisms don't match up with what I've seen, I'd like to understand why people feel that way.

So, I'm not trying to dismiss anything. I'm just trying to understand.
I have been on the ship.
My biggest complaint (long before I read anyone else saying it) was the lack of exterior views. Fewer portholes. More interior hallways.

However the size will still be an issue look at the photo I posted above. Pools are also an issue. While a lot they just are too small. For many of us avid cruisers, I enjoy relaxing and using pool. This ship will make it difficult due to size, regardless if there are more families onboard

I thought that too until I actually got in one of the plunge pools. It was more roomy than I expected. But, I totally agree that the lounges are too small. They should have put less lounges and made bigger lounges to hold more people.

MJ

Yes this ship is very different but if they want to keep up and outdo these other cruise lines they should be worrying about updating Castaway. The new Coco Cay for Royal beats Castaway big time with that massive pool alone. We absolutely love Castaway, but going to that private island of RCCL beats it out.

I have no interest in going to an island and swimming in a pool. Of course everyone is different though.

Yes this ship is very different but if they want to keep up and outdo these other cruise lines they should be worrying about updating Castaway. The new Coco Cay for Royal beats Castaway big time with that massive pool alone. We absolutely love Castaway, but going to that private island of RCCL beats it out.
I didn't like coco cay, but then again I have a pool in my backyard so maybe I don't get the novelty for some people. The Wish looks lacking, but Castaway will always be great.

I have been on the ship.
My biggest complaint (long before I read anyone else saying it) was the lack of exterior views. Fewer portholes. More interior hallways.
One of the things I liked about other cruise lines vs DCL is that everything faces outward. Most of the new ships are designed that way. When I go on a cruise I want to feel like I'm on a ship not in a resort. If I didn't want to see the ocean I'd just go to a land resort. I'm not really sure what DCL was thinking.

It's so much better now. In 2001 it was like a bad fever dream.
See, other than being a different park instead of a different land, we enjoyed it. My kids were very upset when they found out the Malaboomer was taken out in the redo. And I liked A Bugs Life, however my daughter, who is now 31 still considers it the most terrifying thing she has ever done at a theme park.

It's so much better now. In 2001 it was like a bad fever dream.
I was there around that time and the swinging Ferris wheel ruined my whole day:crazy2:. I went back in 2011 and then twice last year and really enjoyed it... not the Ferris wheel of course. I lived the first 26 years of my life in Orange County and went numerous times as a kid. When I left the state got married and had kids of my own we started going to WDW... you know wanted something new, but I've grown very fond of DL after my last two trips. It may become a yearly staple since WDW has become so complicated.

The Ferris wheel is the most terrifying ride at DL. No questions.

I liked CA in its original form - my first visit was in 2005 - and I wish they’d kept the Golden Gate Bridge on their Main Street equivalent, but I think the actual park is so much better now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter