The Wisdom Thread

When you're having a confrontation with your teenage child, and you want to reach over and slap them silly, instead reach over and give them a great big hug. It'll surprise them, defuse their attitude, and it'll calm you down in a loving way. Best advice from my older sis.

My Hardee's manager in high school - when asked why we couldn't eat the food that was being thrown away after 20 minutes under the heat lamp:

"If you're allowed to eat waste, there will be more waste to eat"

Stuck with me for decades and has applied to more situations than I could count.

-Never wish for money, you might just get it. (Inheritance would be one example)
-My dad told us "If your going to be a bear, be a grizzly"
-My grandfather told us "take care of your pennies, and your dollars will take care of themselves"

First heard this in a sermon when my 1st child was a baby: the days are long but the years are short.

First heard this in a sermon when my 1st child was a baby: the days are long but the years are short.
My DMom always said something similar (in relation to raising kids): "The days last forever but the years fly by." :goodvibes Such a tender sentiment and sooo true! I wonder what else she was right about? :goodvibes

[QUOTE="Planogirl,

As for what I've learned... Generally when you ask your husband to do something and he says he'll get to it "in a minute" then that could be any time and only if he remembers.[/QUOTE]

Hey, if we say we're going to do it, we're going to do it. You don't have to nag us about it every 6 months.

Red herrings abound. Things aren't always what they seem. Sometimes it takes awhile to have a light bulb moment. Be open and ready for it.

You can always add more, but you can't take it away ( mostly used when my kids are pouring syrup on pancakes, putting ketchup on a hot dog, etc.).

Everyone is different.

I am enjoying these sayings and am surprised how many I already know. How about, "When in doubt, leave out." Doesn't always apply but it works in playing music.

Someone gave me this piece of advice when we were going through a really hard time with our oldest son. He was about 15, angry at the world and filled with hate. I was at my wits' end with him and just about at the end of my rope, when my friend gave me three words: "Just love him." That's all. Just love this difficult teenager despite his hateful actions and defiant behavior. He did not change quickly, but WE experienced an immediate change in our hearts. Not that we overlooked his bad behavior but we changed the way we reacted, which had the effect of neutralizing the situations. Best piece of advice I ever got.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter