The "Why I didn't speak to my sister for a week" trip report *** Now Complete :)

My family (well DH and DS specifically) made me so nutz on our last trip...This time I'm going alone...and leaving them at home:rotfl2:

I think you'll really enjoy your solo trip ! It's a very different experience (at least it was for me when I did it in December). My favorite thing was going to Animal Kingdom and look at all the details. This park is incredible when you really take the time to look at everything.

Did you ever think when you wrote this you would have over #500 posts and I can't even imagine how many views of your thread?

NEVER !!!! I didn't think anyone would want to read about such a lousy trip. My other TRs were not popular at all and sometimes it bugged me, but I like writing about our trips, even if no one reads about them :)

OK, I just have to ask - Did y'all lose money on all these ADRs that you missed? You and Grumpy are just so generous, not only with the entire trip, but with souveniers, a gift card because they missed dinner, etc.

And good for you for finally putting your foot down (although that's not where I would have put MY foot!!! :rotfl2: ).

:rotfl: lmao about the foot !!
No we didn't lose money. When we planned our trip we thought about adding the DDP, for convenience's sake. It's a good thing we didn't do it because we would have lost hundreds of dollars.

Can I ask what her kidney problem is? (As a kidney patient I'm always curious about others with kidney problems) Mine is polycystic kidneys - I am currently on dialysis awaiting a transplant....

Sorry to hear about you being sick :(
I have no idea how the illness is called... it runs in our family (and took away my grandfather, 3 of his brothers and his sister :sad1: ) Jess has a very mild form of it but basically her kidneys don't function that well. It won't put her on dialysis until she's well into her 60s, but she has to be careful about what she drinks and how much of it. My father has that problem too, and since he turned 60 last year it won't be long before he's on dialysis himself. That's something I wouldn't wish on my worse ennemy.

One day I'd love to visit France. My dd is in the french immersion program here in southern Louisiana. After 8th grade, they go on a trip to France. Hopefully we'll get to go before then (she just finished kindergarten).

It's great that you have a french immersion program (are they hiring ??? I lost the Visa Lottery again this year). But 8 years is a long time to wait ! I hope you make it here before that.

Well, I evidently didn't finish the double and a half trippie, so I'm totally enjoying it this afternoon! I couldn't figure out why until I looked at the dates--two deaths in our family/friend the week of Thanksgiving and I just didn't feel like dis'ing for several weeks.

So sorry for your losses :hug:

What awsome Fantasmic pictures you got. Wish mine had turn out that good.
want to know how you get such great Fantasmic photos? Is it because you've been able to sit close? I've wanted to take good pictures but they never come out just right. They're usually really dark.

Thanks!
The only way I found to get decent pics of Fantasmic (or any night/fireworks pics, really) is to put my camera in Sports mode. I think it has to do with shutter speed or something. The first time I took pics of Fantasmic I took them in foliage mode and they were the freakiest pics ever !!

Migraines are absolutely miserable. I was officially diagnosed with them 15 yrs ago at the age of 18 but I know they started several years before that. I had one a few weeks ago that forced me to push my DH and my DS out of the door for piece and quiet. Yuck, yuck, yuck!!! Hopefully I won't get one on vacation any time soon!
Migraines are a butterfly though and I don't wish them on anyone. All I want is someplace dark and quiet.

Yeah she was really feeling awful, definitely not faking it. We weren't mad at her of course - not like with the blister. :laughing:

then of course, I guess to make my life a little more 'fun', I made her my maid of honor...and the stupid award goes to...

Oh boy. I want to know about this !!! What did she do at your wedding?

I just wanted to say that when you posted the pic of you (not sure if it was in this TR or in the pre-trip report) the FIRST thing I thought to myself was, hey she looks like the chick that plays violin for Bon Jovi! Little did I know when I thought that that you were such a devoted fan also! :) Just to let you know (Not rubbing it in or anything), my DH and I saw them twice last week, at Madison Square Garden. We didn't, however, go anywhere near Central Park, that had panic attack waiting to happen for me written all over it! (I don't do well in uncontrolled crowd situations!)

You mean Lorenza Ponce? http://www.hetnap.rs/9.35/cikk20.jpg
Wow, thanks. I don't see it, and think she wouldn't be flattered :rotfl2: but THANKS !!

I don't do outside concerts either. The very first time I saw Bon Jovi they were opening for a huge band whose name I can't remember right now, at a huge football field outside Paris. I think I was 16 or 17 and after waiting 3hrs in the sun right in front of the stage... I fainted.:sick:

Well what do you know... we DID make it to our character breakfast that morning ! Late, of course, but we did make it. And we even wore our matching home-made Animal Kingdom shirts.

On our way to AK we convinced Jessi to rent an ECV for the day. It was an expense - since they are now $45 - but to us it was worth it. We didn't have that much time in AK and the park is huge. We wouldn't have time to do anything if we had to walk at her pace or constantly wait for her to catch up.

Even with the ECV it took us quite a while to get to Tusker House. Our ADR had been for 8.10 but we didn't get seated until 8.50. The CM who sat us was French. I couldn't believe it... that was the third one in less than a week. In all our trips to WDW Grumpy & I had never met a single French CM. We couldn't hide the obvious : Alex and Jessi are French magnets.
I immediately left the restaurant and went to wait at the rope so I could get us Fastpasses for Kilimanjaro Safari.

I got the FPs and then tried to get back in the restaurant, but couldn't find the door. When I did find it, it didn't open from the outside. I knocked on it for a couple minutes until finally someone pushed it open - Alex.

"Where have you been???"

Standing behind a closed door. Story of my life.

This breakfast was great ! The characters were awesome, there were parades and songs and a lot of noise. The food was good too. One CM was totally crazy jumping around singing and getting kids to do the parade. When I asked our server if she kept hearing him yell when she went back home she said yes - because she lived with him !! It was her husband ! :rotfl:

Jess loved meeting the characters, especially Donald and Daisy. They all played the game and let me take their pics. I don't know what the heck I did with my camera that day though because most of my pics turned out blurry, grainy, or both. :confused3

IMG_5589.jpg

IMG_5595.jpg

IMG_5597.jpg

IMG_5604.jpg

It was about 10 and they were still eating, but our FP window had opened again so I left them in the restaurant and went to get us FPs for Kali River Rapids.

I met this little guy (from Jungle Book ??)

IMG_5613.jpg

On my way, I saw DEVINE !!!! It was my first time seeing her and she's very impressive. I stayed and watched for a while. She was moving so gracefully, and blended in so much with the trees that most people didn't notice her at first and did a double take when they realized what they were seeing.

IMG_5615.jpg

IMG_5617.jpg

I got our fastpasses at Kali River Rapids, and on my way back stopped to watch this lady who was showing off birds. Birds scare the living heck out of me but I was far enough to to stand the sight of them for a few minutes.

IMG_5620.jpg

Then I went back to the safari area. We had agreed to meet at the FP entrance for Kilimanjaro Safari but they weren't here yet. So I waited. And waited. And waited. I went back to Tusker House but they weren't there.
Grumpy wasn't answering her cell phone. Jess's ECV wasn't where she had parked it.

Finally I saw them emerging from a shop.

"Thanks for waiting for me where you were supposed to."
"We just checked out the shop for a minute!"

Whatever. We went into Safari. We let Jess and Alex each sit on the "window" sides so they could see more and Grumpy & I went in the middle. This time I didn't really pay attention to the animals and try to focus on little details I missed before. Like this sticker on the truck :

IMG_5627.jpg

My twin :

IMG_5632.jpg

What's so great about Animal Kingdom is that you can go 10, 15 times and still find new things you've never seen before. For example I'd never seen the Harambe School.

IMG_5642.jpg

IMG_5643.jpg

Even with the ECV, we still had to wait for Jessi most of the time. She said the safari was just okay, that there wasn't enough time to take pics. I kind of agree with that, but it's still a great attraction.

IMG_5649.jpg

We did the animal trail that's next to the safaris.

IMG_5652.jpg

IMG_5660.jpg

IMG_5663.jpg

IMG_5670.jpg

IMG_5674.jpg

IMG_5676.jpg

IMG_5690.jpg

I didn't take many pics because I was a bit too busy trying not to get killed by my sibling.
I lost count of how many times she ran into/over Alex, Grumpy and me with the ECV. Alex and Grumpy learned fast and kept their distance, but since she kept asking about stuff, I had to be close enough for her to hear. To her credit, she only ran over her own family. I had to rent an ECV myself on our first trip to AK, and while I didn't actually bump into anybody, I met quite a few trash cans, fences and rocks on my way.

"Can you at least try to aim for the other foot ? You keep driving over the same one. I have two, share the love, sister!!"

Then we went to Kali. We had a ball ! We did wear our ponchos but still got soaked. Once again I ended up with my back to the drop and got the worst of it. And loved it !
We all agreed the ride is great but needs to be longer.

Jessi wanted to go see the Maharajah trail but I'd enough of getting ran over and Alex had enough of animals. We told them to meet us at Tough to be a Bug, and went to find a smoking area. Then we went into a store and I bought myself a huge Stitch that can be used as a PJ holder. It really is HUGE ! I knew Grumpy would be upset so to soften the blow, I bought her a T-Shirt with a Mickey head in animal print, a stuffed safari Tigger for Jessi and an "I love Jack" tee for Alex.

As soon as Grumpy saw me with that huge shopping bag, she knew.

"Oh NO you did NOT buy that awful big Stitch!!!!!"

She knew I'd been wanting one since December 2006. This time there were four of us, and we were allowed more luggage, so it was now or never!! Stitch rules !!!!

We went to ITTBAB, Jess still on her ECV. They put us in the wheelchair section and I felt guilty about it. Jess may have needed help getting around, but she was more than able to walk to a regular seat.

Did I ever mention my sister is deathly afraid of bugs ?? Once when she was a teenager and had done something nasty to me, I put a plastic spider in her bed. She refused to sleep in her room for days. I consider this one of my finest moments.
She let out a blood curling scream when the roaches took their exit. Grumpy & I knew it was coming and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

On our way out Jess asked to stop so she could buy herself a refillable mug with the tiger top. I knew she'd want one. She's like a kid for that sort of stuff. We also bought ourselves buckets of popcorn because they had AK graphics on them.

IMG_5701.jpg

I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride....

"Well guys, we better get going. We have that really early reservation at Liberty Tree Tavern tonight and we need to get some rest before the party."

"Another dinner ?? Do we HAVE to go ?"

I have loved reading every single bit of your trip report. :thumbsup2 I'm looking forward to reading more.

Another great update. Too funny about your sister at ITTBAB:rotfl2: I would have do that to, just for a little payback. Yes, you have to go to Liberty Tree Tavern!!! I want to hear your review because we are having dinner there also. Can't wait to read more

Melissa:flower3:

Hi Marina!

Just a quick hello to tell you that I've been "enjoying" your trip report. The pictures at Tusker came out great and it looks like everyone enjoyed their breakfast. From these pics it looks like a great trip! ;)

We're heading down in Sept with my neice and SIL. But we took a trial trip last summer to Hershey Park, PA to make sure we could travel together. What a terrible thing to have spent all that money and not enjoy yourself. :mad:

I'm so glad that you've been able to purge all of these bad feelings through your TR. Enjoy your upcoming trip a WHOLE LOT more!! Looking forward to that TR! :thumbsup2

thanks for the update!
my sister...oh my sister. She was somewhat well behaved the day of the actual wedding, I think my parents may have threatened her with brute force or something that day, but she made enemies of my other bridesmaids and absolutely ruined my bachelorette party! The wedding was 3 months ago and I still don't want to relive all the drama!

And yes, you do look like her! I love her, BTW, she's so 'spunky', LOL. I love in concert, during 'Who Says you can't go home' during the "s'all right" part, she and Richie stand on one side and lean in and sing it back to Jon, then during the guitar/violin solo, she and Richie stand back to back and play their instruments, it's great...now that I've totally hijacked your thread w/JBJ talk, I will let you and everyone else return to enjoying your recounting of your trip! (PS - look for the live DVD they made at Madison Square Garden, bet it's released in time for Christmas!)

Again, I love your report. I went back and read your first one today too, and enjoyed it, I have to check out the rest of your 'work'! :)

Too funny.... again! Good call renting the ECV for AK - that park seems so big to me!!! And hot.

I am totally loving this trip report and totally have to be included with your updates. I have a DS and a DFriend who have a differnet times made our group trips difficult to say the least but your patience with your sister and her girlfriend are amazing. I would have left them day 2.

well so far a little better of a day!! Good call on the ECV! Hope you did it again too.....but then again, maybe she gets a blister on her butt??????
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

They really should make people take a driving test for those :scared:

Can't wait to read more...I'm off to hunt for your other trippe!

Paula

Much better day, except for your foot getting run over continually! And you saw Devine! I am really going to look for her better next trip. I enjoyed all your Tusker House pictures since we have an ADR there in Oct. I made ours for late morning--I wonder if they switch over to lunch food if you're still there from breakfast?

I cracked up over the "I'm a cowboy....on a steel horse I ride" :rotfl2: ! You make everything funny!

Great update! I read all of your first TR today at work and am just starting the Double & a Half TR! :thumbsup2

I don't know if this will get me banned, but I have been reading this trip report and two things pop into mind:

1. You are a very nice person and I'm enjoying your TR

2. I hate your sister and her friend

I'm sorry she got a migraine but it sucks ya didn't get to go on ToT!

I am so hoping y'all made it to the Pirates and Princess ...I want to hear about one of those parties!

I met this little guy (from Jungle Book ??)

That's my old buddy....King Louie! ;)

LOL nope never watched Survival. The thing is, I didn't want to vote her off. I was thrilled about taking her along and wanted her to have fun :( The craziest thing is if you ask her now, she'll tell you she had a great time ! :confused3

You are a much better sister than I am!!:confused3 I'm glad you made it to AK and your ADR at Tusker House! Hope you all made it to the party too!

Great installment!! I don't want to get soaked so I don't see me going on Kali :rotfl:. Are we ever going to see a picture of you?? Or have I missed them some where, if not can we see pix of you PLEASE??? I hope you get to the party on time :lmao: (like that is going to happen) and have a good meal at LTT :thumbsup2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter