• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The we loooooove Club Wyndham Bonnet Creek Part 4

There are two possible reasons why a reservation might be cancelled by Wyndham.

1: It is during a restricted period at that resort, the owner has already used their two guest certificate exceptions, and is not also traveling to that resort at the same time. Most owners who rent frequently should know the rules, and be able to explain why this reservation is allowable. Most owners who don't rent frequently almost certainly don't use many guest certificates and probably won't use more than two during restricted periods in a year. Either way, if you are dealing with someone who is honest and transparent, you'll have some confidence that the rental is okay.

2: An owner has been flagged by Wyndham for having a "pattern of commercial use", ignored Wyndham's instructions to stop, and had subsequent reservations with GCs attached cancelled. This is probably harder to detect, because it is unlikely that an owner that has been flagged and is still renting will tell you that. But, this is also quite a bit less common. So, while it could happen, it is unlikely, and as long as you have a backup plan you will be fine.

The real impact of all of this is not so much that you can't rent during these periods. It is that it is harder to rent. A number of the folks on TUG who were running a business with Wyndham rentals have stopped (or at least gone very far underground), and they are probably not the only ones, so the supply of rentals has gone down. That will drive the price up, making this less of a "deal" than it might have been, and it might require more work to find one.

I've said this before (in this thread, even) but this could also be a reason to more seriously consider buying something on the secondary market. Wyndham resale is very inexpensive (think pennies to a dime on the dollar), has reasonable annual costs, and has a very robust resort system. We've been very happy owners for about 15 years, and have stayed in probably a dozen different resorts by this point. We've got two more "new to us" next year: a week at Wyndham Oceanside in S. California for UCLA's spring break, and a week at Wyndham Shearwater, oceanfront on a cliff in Princeville on Kauai. I've also got a long weekend at Bonnet for the runDisney Springtime Surprise weekend in April.

There are two possible reasons why a reservation might be cancelled by Wyndham.

1: It is during a restricted period at that resort, the owner has already used their two guest certificate exceptions, and is not also traveling to that resort at the same time. Most owners who rent frequently should know the rules, and be able to explain why this reservation is allowable. Most owners who don't rent frequently almost certainly don't use many guest certificates and probably won't use more than two during restricted periods in a year. Either way, if you are dealing with someone who is honest and transparent, you'll have some confidence that the rental is okay.

2: An owner has been flagged by Wyndham for having a "pattern of commercial use", ignored Wyndham's instructions to stop, and had subsequent reservations with GCs attached cancelled. This is probably harder to detect, because it is unlikely that an owner that has been flagged and is still renting will tell you that. But, this is also quite a bit less common. So, while it could happen, it is unlikely, and as long as you have a backup plan you will be fine.

The real impact of all of this is not so much that you can't rent during these periods. It is that it is harder to rent. A number of the folks on TUG who were running a business with Wyndham rentals have stopped (or at least gone very far underground), and they are probably not the only ones, so the supply of rentals has gone down. That will drive the price up, making this less of a "deal" than it might have been, and it might require more work to find one.

I've said this before (in this thread, even) but this could also be a reason to more seriously consider buying something on the secondary market. Wyndham resale is very inexpensive (think pennies to a dime on the dollar), has reasonable annual costs, and has a very robust resort system. We've been very happy owners for about 15 years, and have stayed in probably a dozen different resorts by this point. We've got two more "new to us" next year: a week at Wyndham Oceanside in S. California for UCLA's spring break, and a week at Wyndham Shearwater, oceanfront on a cliff in Princeville on Kauai. I've also got a long weekend at Bonnet for the runDisney Springtime Surprise weekend in April.
Thank you, I have been considering this option. Can you please PM me if you have any info on the best way to go about getting started on looking into resales.

My advice: start reading at TUG (tugbbs.com); they are collectively among the most knowledgable Wyndham owners when it comes to the resale market. Give yourself at least several months to learn about the options, because the system is nuanced.

In general: most people don't really need "home resort" priority at any particular place. That means the importance of where you own has more to do with the annual costs per point than it does where you can reserve during the advanced period. There can be as much as a factor of 2 difference in annual costs for the same size ownership. Your first job is to figure out if you are in this camp, or if you really need to own something very specific.

For example, if you really want to book larger Presidentials at Bonnet during high-demand seasons, you probably need to own at Bonnet. But, otherwise, you probably do not.

My advice: start reading at TUG (tugbbs.com); they are collectively among the most knowledgable Wyndham owners when it comes to the resale market. Give yourself at least several months to learn about the options, because the system is nuanced.

In general: most people don't really need "home resort" priority at any particular place. That means the importance of where you own has more to do with the annual costs per point than it does where you can reserve during the advanced period. There can be as much as a factor of 2 difference in annual costs for the same size ownership. Your first job is to figure out if you are in this camp, or if you really need to own something very specific.

For example, if you really want to book larger Presidentials at Bonnet during high-demand seasons, you probably need to own at Bonnet. But, otherwise, you probably do not.
Great thank you for the info. It is very overwhelming and confusing from what I’ve seen so far!

Just an FYI regarding cancellations due to Ian:
https://clubwyndham.wyndhamdestinations.com/us/en/owner-guide/resources/canceling-reservation

"Due to Hurricane Ian, owners may cancel without penalty for the listed resorts and timeframes. Due to high call volume you may cancel online and your points, housekeeping credit, and reservation transaction will be refunded within 7-10 business days."

"
Florida:

• Clearwater Beach –reactive cancelation through Sunday 10/2
  • Central Florida – reactive cancelation through Sunday 10/2
  • Orlando, Daytona & Clearwater:
    • Club Wyndham:
      • Club Wyndham Bonnet Creek
      • Club Wyndham Clearwater Beach
      • Club Wyndham Cypress Palms
      • Club Wyndham Ocean Walk
      • Club Wyndham Orlando International
      • Club Wyndham Star Island
      • Club Wyndham Reunion
    • WorldMark:
      • Worldmark Kingstown Reef
      • WorldMark Ocean Walk
      • Worldmark Reunion"

We were set to check in this weekend so keeping an eye on how things are going. Is anyone at WBC now that can give some insight on any damage? I'm seeing quite a few reports on the Disney resort page that the damage, if any, at those resorts is minimal? We have not decided what we're going to do yet.

I received a text from WBC requesting pre arrival info. I emailed them and also called the resort to see how everything was in regard to our check in. They said the buildings are fine, and they were working on getting the pools cleaned out and opened for tomorrow. He said everything was opening and good. In case anyone was checking in this weekend.

I wanted to post a follow-up here. I am the one whose WBC reservation was cancelled by Wyndham. I was able to make a reservation at Wyndham Reunion. Reunion is a nice resort and the 3-bedroom/3-bathroom units are HUGE. We didn't get to use any of the pools or amenities because we left early due to the hurricane. It took 15 min to get to Disney Springs and Hollywood Studios. Parking was a breeze - you park right in front of your building. The condo layout was similar to just about every beach condo I've ever been to and the balcony was massive. It was also cheaper: a Reunion 3-bedroom was about the same price as a 2-bedroom at WBC. However, I still prefer WBC for the location. I will still try to book WBC for future trips but I will definitely consider Wyndham Reunion as a backup.

Great thank you for the info. It is very overwhelming and confusing from what I’ve seen so far!
It really is. When we bought resale several years back, I remember reading some advice somewhere (probably on TUG) to read posts until you think you understand the program, and then double that effort to really cement it in your head before committing. It was really good advice. In hindsight, I could have done better with annual dues as @Brian Noble mentioned. We have a WBC contract and really haven't needed the priority so far for anything we've booked. So I kind of wish I would have heeded the advice to look for low annual fees and not worried so much about being able to get in at WBC in the 13-11 month time frame (the priority period). But, I will say, we're definitely happy with our resale acquisition and have really enjoyed visits to other Wyndham properties...we've broadened our vacation horizons because of it, which was unexpected since we really just got it to go to WBC. Now we have other favorites and a lot more on our list.

We check in Saturday and are super excited! Suggestions on which tower to request for our 2 bedroom reservation?

I have two 20 yr old young men who spend a lot of time at the gym and like to play pool. Hoping for somewhere that folks their age are more likely to congregate. We have our van so concerned parking may be an issue? We do like ground floors best as we have a lot of stuff and a cooler of food.

Looks like our best bets are Tower 4 or 5?

We check in Saturday and are super excited! Suggestions on which tower to request for our 2 bedroom reservation?

I have two 20 yr old young men who spend a lot of time at the gym and like to play pool. Hoping for somewhere that folks their age are more likely to congregate. We have our van so concerned parking may be an issue? We do like ground floors best as we have a lot of stuff and a cooler of food.

Looks like our best bets are Tower 4 or 5?

The lower floors of Tower 6 would also be an option. Those are nonpresidential rooms.

I gotta say between all the Ubers I took and G+, on-site DVC is looking a lot less appealing. I know Wyndham has cracked down on renting, but I'm going to try to figure this out for the summer. If I'm going to Uber and pay for G+ anyway, I might as well get a lazy river hotel for half the cost.

We have a WBC contract and really haven't needed the priority so far for anything we've booked. So I kind of wish I would have heeded the advice to look for low annual fees and not worried so much about being able to get in at WBC in the 13-11 month time frame (the priority period). But, I will say, we're definitely happy with our resale acquisition and have really enjoyed visits to other Wyndham properties...we've broadened our vacation horizons because of it, which was unexpected since we really just got it to go to WBC. Now we have other favorites and a lot more on our list.
The important thing is you followed the golden rule of buying a timeshare - buy resale. And just because you don't need the priority booking period now doesn't mean you won't need it at some point in the future.

We are currently adding an additional Wyndham contract. Cost $0, fees and closing $0. There are full points for 2023. We purchased a Wyndham earlier this year for about $1400 which included 2022 points worth about $1200 so a net of $200. It can be done.

We are DVC since 1996 and admit I was skeptical, but did lots of homework and we just did it. We have nine nights scheduled this fall in a 2 BR and already have next Halloween/F & W reserved in a 1 BR Presidential. Wyndham has a dedicated department for newbies and they have helped tremendously. It is a great, low cost addition to our 500 DVC points.

The lower floors of Tower 6 would also be an option. Those are nonpresidential rooms.
Just to share we got ground floor in Tower 6 and love our location! Our 2 young men are thrilled to have a well equipped gym and a billiards room right in our tower.

Only disappointment is not many sports tournaments. We just went for the cornhole tournament and it whetted their competitive juices - but no other similar activities for the rest of the week :(

I'm hoping to get a 3-bedroom next April, AFTER spring break and Easter weeks. Looking at the retail reservation site, they say there are no 3-beds available. Is there an easy way to check if renters have different inventory? Thanks.

I'm hoping to get a 3-bedroom next April, AFTER spring break and Easter weeks. Looking at the retail reservation site, they say there are no 3-beds available. Is there an easy way to check if renters have different inventory? Thanks.
Redweek is an easy place to look at what owners are offering for rent.

Very excited for our first stay here! Do the rooms come with any laundry detergent? We’ll probably do 2 loads and wondering if we should pack pods.

I think there is probably a box or two. They also probably sell small boxes in the resort shop. I'd bring pods only if they were solid (a busted pod in a suitcase will be unpleasant.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter