The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

I just looked now and availability for all room types seems fine February 3rd and beyond. So maybe those other days just filled up because the marathon is that first weekend in February?

I just looked now and availability for all room types seems fine February 3rd and beyond. So maybe those other days just filled up because the marathon is that first weekend in February?

I can pretty much guarantee the walking was for the DL half marathon weekend. It’s a good idea for anyone wanting to avoid those weekends to check out the race schedule at www.rundisney.com.

Some of the more popular resorts at WDW also get walked, and transportation can be severely affected during the longer races. …Still kicking myself this past Princess half weekend for getting on the bus back to BLT instead of walking back to the monorail 😵‍💫🤦🏼‍♀️

Reactions: ehh
Thanks!

I wonder what this all means for the refurb then. I wish we had a start date but I guess they don't ever give actual dates, right?

Yeah, it's pretty frustrating, honestly. Because I'd actually like to avoid staying there during the refurbishment. But we book 11-months in advance so we just have to cross our fingers. Though at this point...I feel it's pretty likely it will still be going on during our trip next summer. I just hope it isn't too loud or annoying.

Yeah, it's pretty frustrating, honestly. Because I'd actually like to avoid staying there during the refurbishment. But we book 11-months in advance so we just have to cross our fingers. Though at this point...I feel it's pretty likely it will still be going on during our trip next summer. I just hope it isn't too loud or annoying.
They probably don’t know exactly when they are going to start. I’m sure they’ll post it on the website once things are more finalized.

Back with another dumb question....

When you guys use the pool and the towels provided....do you bring the towel back to your room with you or do you drop it in the return on your way out?

When we were there last year, it was February and pretty cold out so we stayed wrapped in our towels for the walk back to the room. But I'm wondering if maybe we weren't supposed to do that?

Just curious what other people do. Especially during the cooler months.

Back with another dumb question....

When you guys use the pool and the towels provided....do you bring the towel back to your room with you or do you drop it in the return on your way out?

When we were there last year, it was February and pretty cold out so we stayed wrapped in our towels for the walk back to the room. But I'm wondering if maybe we weren't supposed to do that?

Just curious what other people do. Especially during the cooler months.
Have done both. Usually put used towels into the towel return bins, but have brought up to room if needed. There are robes in the villas. My friends have gone down to the pool wearing them and back.

I am an owner at Copper Creek in WDW but it has always been my dream to stay at Grand Californian. For the last couple of weeks I've been stalking and wait listing for the week of our school's fall beak (7 months away). As of this morning, I am booked for 5 days in a 2 bedroom! Very excited! Just had to share.

I didn't think about wearing the robes. That's a good idea! We'll have to find something else for our son though.

When staying on DVC points in the Grand Villas (3 Bedroom) at VGC do you only receive free parking for 2 vehicles? And a 3rd vehicle would have to pay for parking?

Our trip is 3 and a half months away so expect lots of questions from me between now and then. Please bear with me.

Another pool question - how hard is it to get a chair/somewhere to put our stuff in the afternoon in summertime? Will I need to worry about someone stealing my phone if I leave it with my towel??

Talk to me about room service....
Can I order something from the kids menu for my son even though he's 10? In the parks, we always do quick service and order from the kids menu for him (and sometimes me too!) and it's never been an issue. But I don't know if room service is different.

In my entire life, I've only ordered room service while on our honeymoon and that was almost 18 years ago. So...what's an acceptable tip if we decide to do room service during our stay? Do we just give cash? Do you just leave the tray outside your room when you're done? Sorry if these are dumb questions but I'm just not a "fancy" hotel kinda gal. 😁

When ordering, can you modify things at all? Like could I get spaghetti with sauce on the side?
Also - I don't suppose anyone would know where I could find pictures of the room service food? Trying to decide if the pasta or pizza is something my son might eat.

Our trip is 3 and a half months away so expect lots of questions from me between now and then. Please bear with me.

Another pool question - how hard is it to get a chair/somewhere to put our stuff in the afternoon in summertime? Will I need to worry about someone stealing my phone if I leave it with my towel??

Talk to me about room service....
Can I order something from the kids menu for my son even though he's 10? In the parks, we always do quick service and order from the kids menu for him (and sometimes me too!) and it's never been an issue. But I don't know if room service is different.

In my entire life, I've only ordered room service while on our honeymoon and that was almost 18 years ago. So...what's an acceptable tip if we decide to do room service during our stay? Do we just give cash? Do you just leave the tray outside your room when you're done? Sorry if these are dumb questions but I'm just not a "fancy" hotel kinda gal. 😁

When ordering, can you modify things at all? Like could I get spaghetti with sauce on the side?
Also - I don't suppose anyone would know where I could find pictures of the room service food? Trying to decide if the pasta or pizza is something my son might eat.
There are tons of chairs around the pool so if you don't care about shade, you'll have no problem finding any. The shady chairs do get taken pretty quick as do the ones that are front row to the pools. Keep in mind that there are 3 separate pools and the one with the waterslide has the least amount of lounge chairs.

As for leaving your phone, I've certainly done it and not had a problem. That being said, this isn't Japan or China so you do so at your own risk.

If you want to order from the kids menu for yourself, have at it. No one is going to stop you. As a practical matter, I can't think of a way to enforce an age limit on kids meals for room service because there's no way to verify who you're ordering for. There is a service fee and gratuity included and while I have tipped a little more on occasion, I don't think it's in any way necessary. The trays can be left outside but please don't do this. When you're done, either call down and they will come to your room to clean it up or you can wheel it outside the door. Just don't leave it in the hall and assume a housekeeper will take care of it.

We've done lots of room service at VGC and it's good but it is the same food as Craftsman Grille with a big markup. It also takes quite a long time. It's not that long a walk to grab something by the pool and then walk it back so if you're not hell bent on room service, I'd suggest that. Room service will do modifications but beware that these are frequently screwed up and sending something back is a huge and time consuming hassle.

As an aside, the absolute best room service I've ever had was at the Hilton Universal City last summer. Absolutely phenomenal meals!

When staying on DVC points in the Grand Villas (3 Bedroom) at VGC do you only receive free parking for 2 vehicles? And a 3rd vehicle would have to pay for parking?
Self Parking for 2 vehicles is free, but there does not seem to be any special accommodation for larger villas.
Grand Californian (hotel and villa) room keys no longer have any printed information, so all physical keys for your villa are identical.

Officially, you will need to pay for the 3rd vehicle.
Unofficially, it is unlikely the hotel will notice.

There are tons of chairs around the pool so if you don't care about shade, you'll have no problem finding any. The shady chairs do get taken pretty quick as do the ones that are front row to the pools. Keep in mind that there are 3 separate pools and the one with the waterslide has the least amount of lounge chairs.

As for leaving your phone, I've certainly done it and not had a problem. That being said, this isn't Japan or China so you do so at your own risk.

If you want to order from the kids menu for yourself, have at it. No one is going to stop you. As a practical matter, I can't think of a way to enforce an age limit on kids meals for room service because there's no way to verify who you're ordering for. There is a service fee and gratuity included and while I have tipped a little more on occasion, I don't think it's in any way necessary. The trays can be left outside but please don't do this. When you're done, either call down and they will come to your room to clean it up or you can wheel it outside the door. Just don't leave it in the hall and assume a housekeeper will take care of it.

We've done lots of room service at VGC and it's good but it is the same food as Craftsman Grille with a big markup. It also takes quite a long time. It's not that long a walk to grab something by the pool and then walk it back so if you're not hell bent on room service, I'd suggest that. Room service will do modifications but beware that these are frequently screwed up and sending something back is a huge and time consuming hassle.

As an aside, the absolute best room service I've ever had was at the Hilton Universal City last summer. Absolutely phenomenal meals!

Thanks for this info. I'm thinking maybe Grand Californian room service isn't going to be for us. I hadn't thought about what the wait time might be. So yeah...I think we'd rather just go downstairs to get food.

Thanks for this info. I'm thinking maybe Grand Californian room service isn't going to be for us. I hadn't thought about what the wait time might be. So yeah...I think we'd rather just go downstairs to get food.
If I am remembering correctly, some of the restaurants in Downtown Disney will deliver to the guest services or somewhere in the Lobby so that might be another option for you. Maybe someone there now or recently can confirm if this is still offered.

My experience has been that Downtown Disney restaurants always seem to be insanely crowded and have enormous wait times. One option is Doordash or other delivery apps. You just meet the driver out in the driveway where the van is in the picture below.

1709685393645.png

We finally got our points and was able to book a 1BR for the last weekend of October just before the 7-month window opened. We are taking our son for Halloween at DLR for the first time and I'm debating whether to keep the weekend date vs going during the week instead. How different are the October crowds during the weekend vs weekdays?

Pros for the weekend:
  • 3 tiers of MKs blacked out on the Saturday, 2 tiers on Sunday
  • OBB and DL EE don't fall on the same day
  • Fewer days of school/work missed
Cons:
  • We won't be there during his actual birthdate
  • Costs 18 more points total
We also managed to find a way to use the banked points from 22UY for Aulani in May just before they expire.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter