The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

its free for DVC. I believe you ask at the desk for tokens.

Really? I had no idea! That's nice. We are taking a road trip next summer and I am planning to do a load of laundry part way through the Disneyland portion of our trip.

I'd consider it if they upgraded you from let's say a studio to a 1BR?

I'd also be "willing" to give up our kitchen for club level and perhaps some credit towards food at Craftsman bar.

If they wanted to upgrade me from a studio at VGC to a 1br at VDH....then I'd say yes to that. Ha! Though the extra walk in the June heat doesn't appeal to me much.

If they wanted to upgrade me from a studio at VGC to a 1br at VDH....then I'd say yes to that. Ha! Though the extra walk in the June heat doesn't appeal to me much.

Nice. Yea, I’d consider that a fair trade. I’d also have them eat/pay for the tax if you do get moved to VDH. Based on the tax issues alone, I bet they are going to move people into hotel rooms at Grand Cal if possible.

Since there aren't tons of rooms at VGC, I wonder how long the entire refurbishment will actually last.
It will last quite a while and I suspect they will do a floor at a time as to not take out too many villas at a time. They will probably offer hotel rooms for the studios and probably move anything bigger to VDH.

If they move us to a hotel room, do you think there will be any way to get a proper mini-fridge instead of a beverage fridge? Because that would really mess up our plans for breakfast each day.

Also, if they would need to move us...any idea how far in advance we'd know? Or would we not know until we check in?

If they move us to a hotel room, do you think there will be any way to get a proper mini-fridge instead of a beverage fridge? Because that would really mess up our plans for breakfast each day.

Also, if they would need to move us...any idea how far in advance we'd know? Or would we not know until we check in?
TBH, they’ll take the inventory out before the 11 month booking. They’ll use DVD’s points to take the rooms out of inventory then once the refurbishment is done those rooms will be put back into inventory. They’ll put a note on the booking tool to let us know that the refurbishment will be happening. In my experience, the only time you could possibly be moved is an emergency maintenance of a room.

Generally they'll pre plan. So there will just be less rooms to book. They only move people when the project runs long. It seems like people get a weeks notice or so.

I know VGC was announced 2 years ago and then not on the schedule at last years meeting. I know it’s ovrdue. But did they announce its happening? Or is this just speculation/hope still?

When they moved me, once I found out when I arrived at checkin at the hotel. I think I got email a day or two ahead for one of the times. It definitely wasn’t weeks in advance, because they likely didn’t know until less than a week ahead of arrival. I didn’t ask about a proper fridge vs a beverage cooler as the cooler was sufficient for my one night there.

TBH, they’ll take the inventory out before the 11 month booking. They’ll use DVD’s points to take the rooms out of inventory then once the refurbishment is done those rooms will be put back into inventory. They’ll put a note on the booking tool to let us know that the refurbishment will be happening. In my experience, the only time you could possibly be moved is an emergency maintenance of a room.
Just a note they do not use their points to take out the rooms for renovations. They sell enough points a year to book the resort for the full year minus 1 week. That minus 1 week is how they can take rooms offline for renovations.

DVD is an owner like us so they shouldn’t be expected to take the brunt of the cost.

But agreed usually rooms come out of inventory around the 11 month window.

I hope that's the case. We're looking at June 2024 so I'll be able to try booking in about 2 months. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Generally they'll pre plan. So there will just be less rooms to book. They only move people when the project runs long. It seems like people get a weeks notice or so.

I know VGC was announced 2 years ago and then not on the schedule at last years meeting. I know it’s ovrdue. But did they announce its happening? Or is this just speculation/hope still?

Just speculation since I read it's overdue for a full refurbishment. I'm hoping we'll see it on the schedule after this years meeting. I know it won't be done before our June 2024 trip but I hope it's finished by the time we take our 2025 trip!

We're going for July 4th for the first time ever! Has anyone used the grills at VGC lately? Are they working? Doesn't seem like July 4th unless there's a bbq!

We're going for July 4th for the first time ever! Has anyone used the grills at VGC lately? Are they working? Doesn't seem like July 4th unless there's a bbq!
They do. My mom and dad cooked up some food during our visit in April. The front desk took quite some time to find the cooking utensils for them so I would ask well in advance. One of them has a handle that is barely hanging on for life so use with caution. My uncle had to fix it mid cook :)

Yowser
VGC average Resale prices shot above $300 in May-- even above the direct pricing ($310). Obviously they were impacted by the announcement at VDH.

I noticed resale listing prices were going up fast. I've seen as high as $330s, for small contracts. But I wasn't sure if they were selling there. They must have closed on a few. Over the past year they had really drifted down from the previous high water mark.

Good info here:
https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/dvc-resale-average-sales-prices-for-may-2023/

Yowser
VGC average Resale prices shot above $300 in May-- even above the direct pricing ($310). Obviously they were impacted by the announcement at VDH.

I noticed resale listing prices were going up fast. I've seen as high as $330s, for small contracts. But I wasn't sure if they were selling there. They must have closed on a few. Over the past year they had really drifted down from the previous high water mark.

Good info here:
https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/dvc-resale-average-sales-prices-for-may-2023/
The increase in price makes sense to me.

VGC's popularity wasn't diminished much (if at all) with the introduction of VDH. And because it's still very popular and, in part, because it's positioned as the more premium option, it can't be less expensive than VDH (after DVC Math™) in a logical market (which DVC isn't always, to be fair).

VDH being expensive due to dues/TOT drove the price of VGC up. VGC costing significantly less per stay isn't a state a logical market would support considering its premium position and strong popularity. Because dues/TOT aren't set by the market, that means upfront price needs to move upward.

Naw, I’d have to bank and borrow for enough points for a 2 nt stay with that low of a contract (we need a 2 bdr)
Yea, I'm sure it'll get picked up by someone just adding more VGC points to their current supply.
I did make an offer because i could bank & borrow on that for a 3-4 night stay studio every other year (or 3 years), my offer just wasn't high enough to get them to counter. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter