The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

So people actually request specific rooms? Is that something you call about ahead of time or can you put it in online? I wonder if there are specific rooms we should avoid due to noise issues like the door slamming mentioned or if most of the studios are just the same.
you can ask for specific rooms via MS chat. I'm usually not that specific and request a certain floor. Either ground or top floor. I'm batting about 50/50 on actually getting what I request for.

you can ask for specific rooms via MS chat. I'm usually not that specific and request a certain floor. Either ground or top floor. I'm batting about 50/50 on actually getting what I request for.

Dumb question...are there actually rooms on the ground floor? I don't know why but I thought they started on floor 2.

What are the pros and cons of ground floor?

Dumb question...are there actually rooms on the ground floor? I don't know why but I thought they started on floor 2.

What are the pros and cons of ground floor?
there are plenty of rooms on the ground floor at VGC. Primary pro for me is that it's quick and easy access to the pools, DCA entry, laundry (if you're in a studio), and other amenities without having to wait for elevators. The biggest con is obviously not having a view from a higher floor room but at VGC, views aren't all that important, unless you get the few rooms that overlook DCA, which are also phenomenal.

there are plenty of rooms on the ground floor at VGC. Primary pro for me is that it's quick and easy access to the pools, DCA entry, laundry (if you're in a studio), and other amenities without having to wait for elevators. The biggest con is obviously not having a view from a higher floor room but at VGC, views aren't all that important, unless you get the few rooms that overlook DCA, which are also phenomenal.

Ground floor sounds like it would be perfect for us. Our son is sometimes scared of elevators. So on our trip this year, she put us on the 2nd floor in case we were stuck doing stairs. Thankfully, he did okay on the elevator by the 2nd day but still...you just never know with him.

There really are no bad rooms at VGC because, well, you're at VGC on points!. And yes, I love the ground floor rooms, not just at VGC but any DVC resorts in general. At Aulani is especially nice for easy access to the pools and QS. The same goes for BCV and CCV. The only resort I don't request ground floor is at BLT. There, I always ask for 5th floor for quick access to the Contemporary connecting bridge.

Definitely better to get a dedicated 2BR so the kids are secure in the secondary bedroom and no one can get in or out without going through the living room.

I would like to make an interesting observation about a room at the Villas. If someone else has mentioned anything about this, my apologies.

Last year, I had a lot of points between 2 resorts to used. These were banked from 2021 and had to be used. These were points we didn't use during the hotel closures at both DLR and DW. Some 2022 points I was able to bank in the 2023 year.

We ended up booking a 1 bedroom for 8 different stays from Dec 2021 to Feb 2023. Glad to say I was able to use all points and are now caught up with our points, although we still have a few bookings for later in the year.

Anyway, there was 1 room we kept getting assigned, 2507. This room always had something missing. One time is was a lamp near the sofa bed. Another time it was the alarm clock in the master bedroom. Pans, too, were missing. In addition, the fridge opens towards the hallway, not the kitchen. We had this room 3 times.

Has anyone else have the same experience? All the other rooms we had were fine. Seems odd this room has a bit of a problem.

When mentioning this to the DVC folks, they thought it was odd, too. Said something about the rooms a scheduled for a refurbishment.

Last edited:
Also, happy to note, we never got tired staying at the VGC and look forward to going to the other reservations we have this year 😀

Last edited:
I've been studying the point charts, and something I can't figure out is why late Feb/Early March is the 2nd highest tier for points? I was thinking spring break, but doesn't seem to line up, as it's generally mid-March to mid-April. What am I missing here?

I've been studying the point charts, and something I can't figure out is why late Feb/Early March is the 2nd highest tier for points? I was thinking spring break, but doesn't seem to line up, as it's generally mid-March to mid-April. What am I missing here?
I also don't understand late August points chart. Most schools are back by mid August at the latest. The whole VGC points chart is a mystery to me.

Ski weeks are not uncommon out west and not everyone skiis.
But I don't really know. It must historically be a busy time at DL.

Ski weeks are not uncommon out west and not everyone skiis.
But I don't really know. It must historically be a busy time at DL.

In northern california Ski week is the president's day week, which is the week before the peak pricing and in the lowest category. This is the week we go to DL every year, which is why I'm so concerned for the reasoning, if they decide to re-categorize presidents day week, I'm going to not have enough points...

President day weekend is high volume week for DLR -- so much so that it's blacked out on most passes.

Thinking more about those ground floor villa rooms. Does anyone have a picture of what the patio area looks like for those?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter