• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Does anyone know the best Grand Californian e-mail to send comments to in order to get a response from management? The pool situation is incredibly disappointing this weekend. Every other hotel I've been to since the pandemic has figured out that appointment slots for pool time is better than telling guests they need to wait an indeterminate amount of time by the front gate (yesterday 2 hours) to use the pool ...

I'd rather just know they don't have any slots available and not slather up with sunscreen to be disappointed at the gate.
Yep...I was here this weekend, too, and they need a better system...maybe like how they do it at Legoland where you sign up for 90 minute slots. We got all ready only to head down and be told it could be 90 minute to 2 hrs wait. Also, the wait times for the front desk and bell services to answer the phones is beyond ridiculous.

I either use chat or email member services. I’d ask for Paradise Pier View. There are some rooms that overlook Redwood Creek that would qualify as “theme park view”

There is a whole thread about VGC room views. Keep in mind that depending on how old the pictures are, the trees may be quite a bit taller than in the pictures. The thread is called
Villas at Disney's Grand Californian - Room Views

Thanks.

I'm here now and emailed Member Services this list of rooms: 5502, 4508, 5508, 4502, 6502. I got 3508. I did online check in but when I went to front desk, they said the assigned a 2nd floor room so I asked again and they re-checked to see what was available. You can see a little bit of the park but the trees are in the way.

I guess you didn't get your requested room. I supposed I need to ask for a higher floor room, but I haven't had much luck with room requests at WDW. Thanks.

LAX

Oh. I forgot to ask when I should make the request. 30 days out enough time? TIA.

LAX

Hello all...am I missing something? I have tried to cancel a VCG 2bd room June (13-18) reservation twice now and it won't go through. As much as I'd like to take it as a sign to not cancel I sadly will be canceling this reservation. Is something still wrong with online modifications? I don't want to have to call in.
I remember reading elsewhere on the boards that you have to complete the section where it asks for your email address and then it will let you cancel.
It's a software flaw - oh, I mean feature. Go into modify your existing reservation and you'll find the email field is empty. Add it and finish the modification. Then go back and cancel. It's faster than calling!

Thank you all. I was having trouble cancelling a VGC reservation, and found this thread. You saved me a lot of trouble and a long wait phone call.

Thank you all. I was having trouble cancelling a VGC reservation, and found this thread. You saved me a lot of trouble and a long wait phone call.
Yes, this tip saved me as well.

I can't believe they haven't fixed this or at least posted it prominently on the cancel page as a temp fix. And they are so overloaded on call volume too! People wanting to cancel should not have to call and take up those resources. :thumbsup2

I guess you didn't get your requested room. I supposed I need to ask for a higher floor room, but I haven't had much luck with room requests at WDW. Thanks.
I always request soon after booking (eg 10-11 months out), the same request, High Floor, Even number (my favorite rooms face Grizzly, love those trees and the privacy once Redwoods Challenge closes for the day, and my second choice is of course the Pixar Pier view).
When I checked in last weekend I asked if my requests had been met. She said no to both, we had originally been assigned a first floor odd number 1 bedroom. She was able to give us a 5th floor odd number instead, which I was really happy with since we are glass-of-wine-on-the-balcony-after-parks kind of people (and it feels weird to be spraying sunscreen on a porch with no privacy on the first floor) despite it facing the pool. I'm not sure the when of requesting matters, but inquiring about the request when checking in early helps. There's only been one time they gave me a room I really was unhappy with, it was a first floor HA studio, they had nothing else.

We always book one bedrooms and it's the one next door. Like you all say, worst room ever. We don't bother to ask for the accessible room unless we are booking the Grand villa. The regular one bedrooms are accessible enough not to have the worst room in the hotel.

Can anyone tell me if VGC is still providing travel-size toiletries, or have they moved to the large pumps in the showers? Most recent info I could find was from 2018. TIA

Can anyone tell me if VGC is still providing travel-size toiletries, or have they moved to the large pumps in the showers? Most recent info I could find was from 2018. TIA
When we were there last month it was still individual bottles and real bars of soap. Changing over to large pumps is probably pretty low on their to-do list...

Just booked a dedicated 2-bedroom for January and I can't believe I lucked into this perfect room at 7 months out!

We last stayed at Grand Californian in 2015 (hotel side), and we've been DVC members since 2018 (we usually go to WDW), so this will be our first time specifically staying at VGC.

So please give me all the tips and advice and insider info on the DVC section! How do we make reservations for things? It's been 6+ years since my last west coast trip and I don't remember how to do anything. We were gonna go last year, but, well, you know what happened. So I remember that we don't link our reservation to the Disneyland site like we do with our DVC stays at WDW, but what else is going to be different?

Thank you all so much for your expertise! I'm so thrilled and can't believe we got this room

Just booked a dedicated 2-bedroom for January and I can't believe I lucked into this perfect room at 7 months out!

We last stayed at Grand Californian in 2015 (hotel side), and we've been DVC members since 2018 (we usually go to WDW), so this will be our first time specifically staying at VGC.

So please give me all the tips and advice and insider info on the DVC section! How do we make reservations for things? It's been 6+ years since my last west coast trip and I don't remember how to do anything. We were gonna go last year, but, well, you know what happened. So I remember that we don't link our reservation to the Disneyland site like we do with our DVC stays at WDW, but what else is going to be different?

Thank you all so much for your expertise! I'm so thrilled and can't believe we got this room
Congrats. I think 2-Bedrooms are the "most-likely" to come by at the 7-month mark. And even more so in January, if you are after holiday season and avoid the MLK holiday weekend.

1) Go to Disneyland.com and try your WDW login and see if it allows you to login. They have been synching some of the features and systems lately, so the DL side looks more like the WDW side (but not there, yet). If you can't login, create a new account at Disneyland.com.

2) Download the Disneyland App, and login using the same account.

3) Yes, you can link your DVC reservation now. They added this feature when the Park Pass system was released, for reopening. After you login above, give it a try (on website only at last check, not on the App yet). If you just booked, there may be a lag (but I don't think there is).

4) Linking your reservation will allow you to book your Park Passes from the "Disney Hotel Bucket", just like WDW (IF DL still has reservations by then-- likely they will). Although you are planning so far out, you won't have any problems with Park Passes. But, if you want to make changes to your Park days down the road, it could help to have that hotel bucket. *note, just like WDW, you need Park tickets linked to your account to make Park Passes.

5) Draft your room requests and email them to Member Services. Search this forum for @Nonsuch, who made great maps of the VGC wing. You can add those 2-Bedroom numbers to your request. The trees have grown up alot and taken some of the views, unfortunately. But they are pretty.

6) No magic bands or App room keys, yet. You will use the App for park tickets, mobile orders and Fastpass/Maxpass (if available then); credit card for table service, and a plastic key for the room (and Early Entry, if available then). You can add charging ability to room keys. Screen shot your member card for DVC discount. *Things can change in six months time. Maybe we will see more integration.

7) Order groceries at Pavilions.com (or Amazon Prime Now). We prefer Pavilions currently; look for code for $20 off and free delivery first order. If alcohol in order, you need to be there to sign for it. If not, you can delivery it before your arrival and the bellhop will put in storage. Same as WDW. Bring or buy basket filters and coffee grounds for coffee maker.

8) Craftsman Grill has some DVC items (milk, snacks, etc.) But, no substitute for groceries above. VGC souvenirs are in the main hotel giftshop.

9) In the past the standing advice, especially coming from DVC wing, was to go through DTD to the main gates of DCA in the morning; as it was faster than the GCH entrance to DCA. Recent reports suggest that may not be true right now, but it's early. I would look/ask for reports closer to your trip, for current info.

10) The 2-BR are REALLY nice and a big improvement over most 2-BR at WDW. You will have a lot of fire-power getting ready in the morning with 3 dedicated bathrooms, a full-size dining table (not a round after-thought table), kitchen island, AND a bar with more stools. Plan accordingly if you have a big group. An easy breakfast set out on the island/table while people are getting ready is an UNREAL time and money saver! Start the dishwasher and off to the Parks. *again, plan your groceries above.

Hope that's a good start. ;) Have fun! :thumbsup2

Edit: Removed a blocked link

Congrats. I think 2-Bedrooms are the "most-likely" to come by at the 7-month mark. And even more so in January, if you are after holiday season and avoid the MLK holiday weekend.

1) Go to Disneyland.com and try your WDW login and see if it allows you to login. They have been synching some of the features and systems lately, so the DL side looks more like the WDW side (but not there, yet). If you can't login, create a new account at Disneyland.com.

3) Yes, you can link your DVC reservation now. They added this feature when the Park Pass system was released, for reopening. After you login above, give it a try (on website only at last check, not on the App yet). If you just booked, there may be a lag (but I don't think there is).

4) Linking your reservation will allow you to book your Park Passes from the "Disney Hotel Bucket", just like WDW (IF DL still has reservations by then-- likely they will). Although you are planning so far out, you won't have any problems with Park Passes. But, if you want to make changes to your Park days down the road, it could help to have that hotel bucket. *note, just like WDW, you need Park tickets linked to your account to make Park Passes.

5) Draft your room requests and email them to Member Services. Search this forum for @Nonsuch, who made great maps of the VGC wing. You can add those 2-Bedroom numbers to your request. The trees have grown up alot and taken some of the views, unfortunately. But they are pretty.

6) No magic bands or App room keys, yet. You will use the App for park tickets, mobile orders and Fastpass/Maxpass (if available then); credit card for table service, and a plastic key for the room (and Early Entry, if available then). You can add charging ability to room keys. Screen shot your member card for DVC discount. *Things can change in six months time. Maybe we will see more integration.

7) Order groceries at Pavilions.com (or Amazon Prime Now). We prefer Pavilions currently; look for code for $20 off and free delivery first order. If alcohol in order, you need to be there to sign for it. If not, you can delivery it before your arrival and the bellhop will put in storage. Same as WDW. Bring or buy basket filters and coffee grounds for coffee maker.

8) Craftsman Grill has some DVC items (milk, snacks, etc.) But, no substitute for groceries above. VGC souvenirs are in the main hotel giftshop.

9) In the past the standing advice, especially coming from DVC wing, was to go through DTD to the main gates of DCA in the morning; as it was faster than the GCH entrance to DCA. Recent reports suggest that may not be true right now, but it's early. I would look/ask for reports closer to your trip, for current info.

10) The 2-BR are REALLY nice and a big improvement over most 2-BR at WDW. You will have a lot of fire-power getting ready in the morning with 3 dedicated bathrooms, a full-size dining table (not a round after-thought table), kitchen island, AND a bar with more stools. Plan accordingly if you have a big group. An easy breakfast set out on the island/table while people are getting ready is an UNREAL time and money saver! Start the dishwasher and off to the Parks. *again, plan your groceries above.

This is an amazing and thoughtful post!
Do you think they will prune/remove trees someday or will the theme park view eventually completely disappear?

Wow, thank you so much for all the detailed and helpful information!! I think you answered all the questions I had, but I'll pop back on when we get closer. I'm sure I'll have more!

Any recent guests:
Is the DVC check-in desk in use? In the past it was at the end of the front desk but not always staffed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter