• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

Things are changing pretty quickly with covid, cases locally are very low. I think their main concern is managing crowds but I would guess the out of state thing changes pretty soon.

Is there anyone we can write to about opening DVC to out of state VGC owners? Terri A. Schultz seems to not have time for Grand Californian owners. We have reservations that were made months ago for mid-June. As with everyone else, there have been many cancelations over that last year. It’s frustrating that Disney Resorts are not able to make exceptions for DVC members who MUST book 7-11 months out to let them into the theme park. Especially since there are other theme parks that we can visit in the state (SeaWorld & Universal Studios) with proof of vaccination. Having to cancel yet again with expiring points and having no availability (there are only 50 rooms) yet paying for 2 years in dues is very frustrating given the large investment in DVC by our family. Points are all going exp. WDW is full and would prefer not to sell or do RCI. We just want to be heard we cant be alone as owners. TIA

It's nothing at all to do with DVC or even Disneyland. You actually can go stay at VGC if you wish. The state of CA won't allow the parks to allow in non-CA residents.

It's nothing at all to do with DVC or even Disneyland. You actually can go stay at VGC if you wish. The state of CA won't allow the parks to allow in non-CA residents.

Not trying to derail the thread by starting a controversial debate, but that restriction makes absolutely ZERO sense if out-of-state residents can be anywhere near, but just not inside, the parks.

LAX

Not trying to derail the thread by starting a controversial debate, but that restriction makes absolutely ZERO sense if out-of-state residents can be anywhere near, but just not inside, the parks.

LAX
YEP! Guess where my vaccinated 18 year old daughter and I just returned from? San Diego! The San Diego Zoo Safari Park! Balboa park! So we can stay at VGC, go to downtown Disney, the pool, etc., but not the parks??? I get that the proof of vaccination can be easily faked, and that it wouldn't be easy, but it's really so unfair, especially to people who own at VGC!

I emailed was assured they’d accounted for DVC in the ticket allotment and it seems so far that the hotel bucket hasn’t booked up. So... if they start letting other people in, we should be okay as far as securing reservations to the parks.
Unfortunately, all we’re guaranteed is a hotel room as DVC owners, which we can still get being out of state residents. We are still going and just doing resort/beach in 4 weeks. It’s crazy that our vaccinated AZ germs are welcome in the pool, but not in a Small World boat, but it’s not my rules. 😢

I emailed was assured they’d accounted for DVC in the ticket allotment and it seems so far that the hotel bucket hasn’t booked up. So... if they start letting other people in, we should be okay as far as securing reservations to the parks.
Unfortunately, all we’re guaranteed is a hotel room as DVC owners, which we can still get being out of state residents. We are still going and just doing resort/beach in 4 weeks. It’s crazy that our vaccinated AZ germs are welcome in the pool, but not in a Small World boat, but it’s not my rules. 😢
It's hard for us that have to fly to justify that cost on airfare for a resort stay. :-(

It's hard for us that have to fly to justify that cost on airfare for a resort stay. :-(
I so get it. If our points werent expiring, we’d cancel too. I’m glad I cancelled a day so we only have two full days. A third feels like it’d be hard to fill!

LAX

We're getting commercials playing in Reno about "CA is open, land of sunshine, come visit us and all our attractions". I haven't been able to catch the little asterisk that must be there stating "*except for our theme parks - you must be vaccinated". It's so sadly political unfortunately.

We can make the reservation and stay at the hotel but we can't go into the parks. If you are coming from out of state, it may not be worth the trip just to stay at the hotel and look at the parks.

Got it. For me, it would be worth it but I live in SoCal so no airfare. I don't own at VGC so when I was able to snag 2 nights on Memorial Day weekend, I told my hubby that we're going even if the parks are closed because who knows when we'll get lucky again.

I see only park ticket buckets, how do you get hotel ticket buckets? We have a reservation mid July at GCV just waiting to see if OOS people can get into the parks by then.

I see only park ticket buckets, how do you get hotel ticket buckets? We have a reservation mid July at GCV just waiting to see if OOS people can get into the parks by then.
Once you have purchased tickets & linked them to your DLR account, you will be able to see the hotel park reservations bucket.

The 2 bedroom lockoff is used for the studio and one bedroom, so if you want a 2 bedroom lock off, you need someone to have the lock off and give it up or a studio *and* a one bedroom reservation needs to be cancelled. I think all these conditions are highly improbable to occur. I would think someone would book a two bedroom before they book a two bedroom lockoff and I bet studios go very fast, thereby killing the two bedroom L.O.

I've got a waitlist going for two nights for a 2 bedroom for a Thursday and Saturday in June. I've also been stalking and watching the availability of studios, one bedroom and two bedroom. The two bedroom unit has random availability coming and going in May and June, while I don't see anything for studio or one bedroom. I'm watching for June, so I see the May, June, July calendars when I'm stalking.

As for success, since last Thursday I've managed to obtain my desired Wed and Fri night two bedroom by stalking. Now I just need the Thu and Sat which I'm stalking and waitlisting...

I would waitlist the two bedroom and the one bedroom, or break up your two bedroom wait list into pieces and hope you can piece it together over time.
The above posting is from April 19. Over the course of the last two weeks, I've been stalking like crazy (obsessively) and managed to snag the two bedroom for Saturday night (even though it was waitlisted). I also snagged the wheelchair one bedroom for Thursday night, so at least I had four nights booked, unfortunately having to move. This morning the non-ADA one bedroom opened for Thursday, so I grabbed that. I had waitlisted a one bedroom for Wednesday night so I would minimize my moves if no two bedroom opened up for my Thursday. Well this morning I noticed my point count going down, first the value of the one bedroom, so my wait list came through for the Wed one bedroom. Shortly thereafter my point count went down again and I had my two bedroom for Thursday! Emails followed later. So now I've got either four days of two bedroom, or a "split-stay" of two nights in one bedroom and two nights of two bedroom. It will go to family vote tonight, but I'm pretty certain it will be to keep the two bedroom for all four nights.

The point of the story being stalking works and so does waitlist (again!). I just can't figure out why sometimes the stalking works and the waitlist doesn't. I had simple one night requests. As for the original thread that started this, about @ngl wanting to try and get a two bedroom room in October... Watching the patterns of rooms becoming available, the two bedrooms had the greatest fluctuations as I stalked and watched. Just random days would become available. So best of luck stalking and waitlisting.

Has anybody written to DVC pointing out that they are incorrectly showing the HA rooms when you search but haven't selected that room type? Not saying they'd fix it anytime soon but just curious. I'll have to try and remember to send them a note although again, it's not like VGC is really at the top of their list what with disappearing room reservations, waitlists and so on. There's going to be some very confused and unhappy room assigners at VGC if this goes on too long.

The above posting is from April 19. Over the course of the last two weeks, I've been stalking like crazy (obsessively) and managed to snag the two bedroom for Saturday night (even though it was waitlisted). I also snagged the wheelchair one bedroom for Thursday night, so at least I had four nights booked, unfortunately having to move. This morning the non-ADA one bedroom opened for Thursday, so I grabbed that. I had waitlisted a one bedroom for Wednesday night so I would minimize my moves if no two bedroom opened up for my Thursday. Well this morning I noticed my point count going down, first the value of the one bedroom, so my wait list came through for the Wed one bedroom. Shortly thereafter my point count went down again and I had my two bedroom for Thursday! Emails followed later. So now I've got either four days of two bedroom, or a "split-stay" of two nights in one bedroom and two nights of two bedroom. It will go to family vote tonight, but I'm pretty certain it will be to keep the two bedroom for all four nights.

The point of the story being stalking works and so does waitlist (again!). I just can't figure out why sometimes the stalking works and the waitlist doesn't. I had simple one night requests. As for the original thread that started this, about @ngl wanting to try and get a two bedroom room in October... Watching the patterns of rooms becoming available, the two bedrooms had the greatest fluctuations as I stalked and watched. Just random days would become available. So best of luck stalking and waitlisting.
Thanks so much for this inspiration!! I have been stalking daily. I assume as we get closer to Oct that things *may* become available as people move trips around but this is so good to know, especially re the 2 bedroom as that is the one we prefer. Much appreciated!!

Once you have purchased tickets & linked them to your DLR account, you will be able to see the hotel park reservations bucket.
Does not work, I have to schedule one day at a time, I am all linked. No issue getting reservations but you can not book past the 60 day mark like they do in Disneyworld. Also the phone does not show the reservation just the computer.

It's nine days until we (me, DW, DD9, DD5) fly into SNA from out of state for our 3 night use-it-or-lose-it-points stay at VGC. Barring a last minute reprieve from the governor, we won't be able to enter the parks. I'm sure Downtown Disney and the VGC pool will take up much of our time, but does anyone have suggestions on other fun family activities in the area? We'll have a rental car.

I was thinking of hitting Newport Beach where my family would spend a week every summer instead of going to Disneyland, no matter how much I begged. My dad, forever scarred by the frozen winters of upstate New York worshiped the sun. I've also seen mention of the Disney exhibit at the Bowers museum. Anything else I should consider?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter