• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Vaccine Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current situation in California, for those who are regular civilians, doses are only being given to those 70 and older. It's going to be a long wait for my family, it seems.
We've been signed up on on the "wait list" for the county vaccination sites for about 3 weeks now. They're only up to Jan 19th registrants. Kaiser in our area is only doing health care workers, long term care residents, and 75 and over (starting with those most at risk within that group). My husband thinks it's going to be close to 6 weeks before they MIGHT be getting to us.

Last edited:
How could we possibly know the affects of a virus that's only been around a year and how would we know the other issues are related to Covid. It seems like more fear mongering to me.

I know/knew people who caught it in the beginning of the pandemic and know how long they suffered. This gave me an idea of the impact.

But on top of that by summer, long hauler cases were already documented.

While we may not know (yet) if it's going to last "forever" for some people, we already know that some will suffer for weeks/months.

Edit: syntax, translation, etc.

Last edited:
It's an obvious attempt at scaring people into getting the vaccine. Any death or allergic reaction from the vaccine is explained away. Any COVID case is amplified. It's hard to determine the truth today.

If medical documentaries and/or reports from health workers working in hot zones (COVID) and/or reports from people who have been hospitalized because of it (and survived) don't "scare you into getting the vaccine", I guess nothing will?

I know/knew people who caught it in the beginning of the pandemic and know how long they suffered. This gave me an idea of the impact.

But on top of that by summer, long hauler cases were already documented.

While we may not know (yet) if it's going to last "forever" for some people, we already know that some will suffer for weeks/months.

Edit: syntax, translation, etc.
I wouldn't consider weeks, months, or even a year to be long term. I guess it really depends on your definition of a long haul. When you look at these statistics you have to consider the health of people before they got Covid. Everyone has anecdotal examples.

If medical documentaries and/or reports from health workers working in hot zones (COVID) and/or reports from people who have been hospitalized because of it (and survived) don't "scare you into getting the vaccine", I guess nothing will?

I wonder if all of this debate occured when the polio vaccine was developed. Did parents say, "No thanks, I'd like my children to develop their immunity naturally." :crazy:

I wonder if all of this debate occured when the polio vaccine was developed. Did parents say, "No thanks, I'd like my children to develop their immunity naturally." :crazy:
What debate? The virus has 99.5 percent recovery rate and has almost no risk to children. I'm not sure why you would compare it to polio?????? People should be able to decide for themselves if they want the vaccine. All that being said I'm sure the majority of the population will get vaccinated.

I feel like this conversation is becoming an argument for arguments' sake. We hear you - you feel other people's anecdotes are not adequate. This thread is for discussion on the vaccine, so let's keep it on topic going forward.
It feels like anyone that posts something that is not is 100% behind the vaccine the post is all of the sudden argumentative. There is a percentage of the population that won't get the vaccine. Are they not allowed an opinion on here or this is just another censored social media sight?. No one is being insulting or argumentative. In my opinion it's a very civil debate. For the record I'm not for or against the vaccine, but I'm all peoples right to choose.

It feels like anyone that posts something that is not is 100% behind the vaccine the post is all of the sudden argumentative. There is a percentage of the population that won't get the vaccine. Are they not allowed an opinion on here or this is just another censored social media sight?. No one is being insulting or argumentative. In my opinion it's a very civil debate. For the record I'm not for or against the vaccine, but I'm all peoples right to choose.

Dismissing people's experiences out of hand as anecdotal is not what I would call civil. Much as the boards do not allow talk of how to circumvent Disney's rules, no, we will not allow personal attacks. Accusing others of fear mongering or trying to gaslight by saying a year isn't a long time to deal with the aftermath of a viral infection is not civil. You are free to your opinion, but we are not required to give you a platform to argue with others about how much concern is proper for a global pandemic. That would definitely be at home any number of places before a cruising forum.

There are no "anecdotes" in the long-haul study being referenced. This is research from Mt. Sinai's Center for Post-Covid Care - part of one of the highest-rated hospitals in all of the US. Their research is controlled and peer-reviewed, and the data available for anyone to see. If the only rebuttal is an escape clause of 'fear mongering' or 'conspiracy theory', I don't see any other way to respond to it than to call it out.

IMO, going to a thread called "The Vaccine Discussion Thread" without any intent of learning more about the vaccine or any interest in getting it is akin to frequenting the Disney Cruise Line Forum to declare your distaste for cruising. Everyone is certainly welcome to their opinion, but that doesn't mean it necessarily belongs anywhere they wish to post it.

Well weather my father should or not, as a 78 year old man with a transplant, Friday he and my mother, also 78, will get their first Covid shots. My daughter, an EMT at 21 will get her second shot Friday as well. (Rumor has it the second shot is the worst)
Our travel party of 5 will still need myself and daughters boyfriend in need of a vaccine prior to travel.
I will be before the general public since I had cancer. But my daughters boyfriend (a Marine) might be after me or not. He was told his unit would be getting the shots but not given a date yet. So he may be before me anyway still. I’m not complaining, I’m happy for anyone getting a shot.
So maybe with the new guidelines (masks, spacing and what not) we could be part of the group that sails in April!
Actually we gave up our May cruise and selected a late August Fantasy cruise instead. Yes things can change, maybe even get worse. But we have time and with a little magic maybe we will be on that ship. To any port that will have us. I wanna walk on colorful carpets with classy gold and brass decorations all around me. I want to see comfy upholstered couches and ornate tapestries at the windows. I’m going to stand on the top floor of the atrium and look down and follow the patterns of the hidden Mickeys on the elevator encasement. I wanna walk on the upper deck and get an unusual pizza slice. Then I’m gonna walk to the other end of the deck and get a platter of fruit. Then I’m going to sit down and people watch for a little bit while I eat, from a great distance for my safety and the safety of others. I’ll put my mask back on and see if I can get a drink from the lounge. Maybe our masks will have a place for straws with a long cover to make them safer to walk and drink with. Maybe I can only eat or drink in designated areas, but I don’t wanna think about that right now. Because I’m just walking the ship in my mind. I feel so calm right now.
And the vaccine made this all possible.

I wouldn't consider weeks, months, or even a year to be long term. I guess it really depends on your definition of a long haul. When you look at these statistics you have to consider the health of people before they got Covid. Everyone has anecdotal examples.

The idea is that COVID made their health much worse. Which is why we need the vaccine. So people won't get sick or get worse.

Dismissing people's experiences out of hand as anecdotal is not what I would call civil. Much as the boards do not allow talk of how to circumvent Disney's rules, no, we will not allow personal attacks. Accusing others of fear mongering or trying to gaslight by saying a year isn't a long time to deal with the aftermath of a viral infection is not civil. You are free to your opinion, but we are not required to give you a platform to argue with others about how much concern is proper for a global pandemic. That would definitely be at home any number of places before a cruising forum.
It wasn't my intention to dismiss anyone's experiences. I just disagree with the definition of the long term at this point. I will excuse myself from this thread.

The last I recall, children 12-15 were in a Pfizer study group, and they predicated they would be approved for that shot sometime in Spring (though with supplies still low, they wouldn't necessarily be able to get it right away). Hoping for more good news soon. I'm ready for my daughter and the rest of us to get back to some normalcy.

2nd dose (Moderna) was delayed a couple days. Had fever for a few days. This is 3rd day since dose. Hopefully wont have fever now. Thought yesterday I had no fever until dinner time. Friday at work was miserable. I was sweating so much under procedure gown I ended up having to put ice packs down my shirt. lol
These cooling vests are disposable for infection control! 😉

Research has started to come out about the 'long haulers' - those who get infected and shake off the virus but never truly recover from the symptoms.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/09/lon...young-people-texas-childrens-doctor-says.html
Highlights:
* About 20% of all COVID-19 patients become long haulers.
* Subsequent symptoms include serious fatigue, shortness of breath, digestive issues, 'brain fog' and a racing heart.
* Research unclear yet whether the symptoms linger for a few months or for the rest of the patient's life.
* 'Brain fog' - which sounds to me a bit like fibromyalgia - is particularly serious since that may prevent people from returning fully to work.
* Type 1 diabetes is also possible - though it's not clear why.

I think vaccination now becomes super important. We have been focusing on the death rates/CFRs, but we really have to expand the definition of the direct physical cost of these infections. Severe symptoms correlate strongly with the long hauls, and most of the vaccines can prevent severity even if they can't an infection.

A daughter of a coworker of my DW (who knows Kevin Bacon :rolleyes1 ), an ultramarathoner and Ironwoman, had COVID last summer and was diagnosed DM1 about a month later. No family history. Couldn't get it under control with regular monitoring and insulin, and was just approved for a CGM and insulin pump. Scary stuff.

This is what has always scared me about COVID, since the beginning... The people who suffer from strokes/heart attacks, long haulers. 20% is a lot of people.

Once we started to see more of these underreoprted outcomes, and not just the deaths/hospitalizations, the messaging should have shifted. Not that you have a 1:100 chance or less of needing some emergency care should you get sick, but that you have a 1:5 chance of not being able to play with your kids or walk your dog or [insert long-term effect] for months to life.

Last edited:
Biden just purchased 200 million additional doses of coronavirus vaccines - and we now have enough shots to immunize most Americans

https://www.businessinsider.in/scie...unize-most-americans/articleshow/80871572.cms
President Biden just announced the U.S. has accelerated timeframe to have enough vaccines to supply 300 million Americans by the end of July.
If J&J gets approved this moves up even further to end of June for manufacturer delivery. We'll soon be at a point where we need to donate/sell vaccine to our allies and neighbors to help end this globally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter