The US Covid Recovery is Exceptional. Why? What did it do different?

exceptionalism ....that was in the op-ed today in my morning paper.....that Tuesday night is not going to happen because of exceptionalism of the American Citizen.

The problem is is how is each country counting what is a death from the coronavirus. Unless every country is using the same base statics you will never get an accurate count.

If you have lived in different parts of this country, then you realize how it feels like moving from country to country. People are so different. I have lived in the Midwest, Southwest, and South, and they all feel like separate countries to me. I'm not surprised that we don't have a uniform response to this virus.

What exactly are you talking about regarding Tuesday night? The election?
no not the election but professional opinion makers believe that there is an innate ritual, privilege and right to living in the US. This thread has the word exceptional and I have been mulling that over...then today, in a op-ed ...that US will use its privilege, ritual and right....to rise above.....WW1, WW2, 1968 and now 2020...it is what we do....rise above...because of our exceptionalism ....not my opinion, view or soap box...just something that I read in the newspaper, that an editor choose that opinion over many others for a Monday morning discussion

Why just those select countries? Why is it always US bad when other 1st world countries are worse. What about the UK, Italy, Brazil? What about the beloved did it perfect the best in the world Sweden? Sweden is worse than us and revered by all buying into the fear to have done it right.

Edit: UK and Sweden flopped to the other side of the US by a near imperceptible amount since the last time I gathered numbers.
The UK is comparabel to the US when it comes to lifestyle and obesity issues. I believe the UK also has the highest obestiy levels in Europe. Even Boris said " i was too fat" and part of his recovery was to lose weight. Sweden has high numbers which is refelction of their strategy.. and poor poor Italy got hit hard and fast as being the first to be hit with the Virus ( northernn Italy has an airbridge to Whutan due to the textile industry). There the virus spread super fast as traditionally people lived in multigenerationl homes.. so you had a case of 1. Older people getting sick with grandma living in the house 2. No experience in treatment.. They admit now, many who were indubated should not have been as the focus was only lungs , the blood clot issue not really know. It was the pictures of the dead there that was the warning to the rest of Europe to act fast and lock down. That saved lives.

The US has an obesity problem and many people simply have lack of daily movement.. .. By movement I mean simply moving walking from a to b. EVERYTHING is drive-in.. Heck you can even get a cup of coffee without moving.. It wouldnt surprise me if most people have under 5000 steps a day.. Home office making things worse.. So you have overweight people but also overweight ( and normal weight) people who are unhealthy and have zero Cardiovascular health with underlying diabetes on top.

Last night I saw an article " 13-year old child dies from Covid in Missouri" As a mom I was like oh dear god and clicked it to read.. This poor kid was morbidly obese. My heart felt for this child, his poor family. Imagine being in bed not being able to breath with that much weight pressing down on you.. Horrible. I could not get that thought of him suffering out of my head. I pray he is in a happier place.

I will admit I am officially obese... But work out all the time.. Average 20,000 steps a day.. i am furloughed and since gyms have closed still walk or run 6 miles a day. one session in the morning and one session at night. I guess I am one of the people that naturally are heavy I look thing at 150 pounds at 210 right now. . Yet eat well and work out about 5 days a week. Did a 3 mile run yesterday. At 47 you sort of give up but due to covid I am kicking things up a bit.. Dropping the second glass of wine with dinner on the weekends and trying to eat to eat 1500 vs the 2000-2500 a day. Working on dropping a few pounds..

The other day I saw a PSA from the WHO.. "fighting fit" showing how important healthy eating and exercise helps fight covid. some people have underlying conditions they cant change.. The least we all can do is try and live a healther . lifestyle.. I refuse to die from Covid because I was too fat.

Last edited:
For many of us, it's not a lack of trust in science based facts. It's lack of trust that we are getting information that is science based facts. We just don't trust government agencies telling us how we are all going to die unless we hide in our basement when we look at the numbers and realize we have a better chance of drowning, getting killed in an auto accident, or chance of dying from a heroin overdose than we are of dying of Covid.

But the sad truth is that you instead are getting info from biased opinion rag news from many commentators that are not even real newsmen.

For many of us, it's not a lack of trust in science based facts. It's lack of trust that we are getting information that is science based facts. We just don't trust government agencies telling us how we are all going to die unless we hide in our basement when we look at the numbers and realize we have a better chance of drowning, getting killed in an auto accident, or chance of dying from a heroin overdose than we are of dying of Covid.

But the sad truth is that you instead are getting info and instead believing biased opinion infotainment for money rag news from many commentators that are not even real newsmen let alone scientists.

But the sad truth is that you instead are getting info and instead believing biased opinion infotainment for money rag news from many commentators that are not even real newsmen let alone scientists.
Explain what is biased with looking at the numbers yourself and seeing that you have a 1 in 1400 chance of dying from Covid vs. 1 in 109 chance of dying in a car accident on the way to be tested for Covid? I did not mention any biased opinion infotainment for money rag news from any commentators that are not even real newsmen let alone scientists?

How about everyone revealing their sources that they come up with their opinions from. I would bet my money on everyone who is scared would be using a lot of letters such as CNN, MSNBC, ABC, WHO, CDC, etc.

How about everyone revealing their sources that they come up with their opinions from. I would bet my money on everyone who is scared would be using a lot of letters such as CNN, MSNBC, ABC, WHO, CDC, etc.

Oh? You mean reliable sources? Yeah, probably.

I am not sure you can compare them. Are you measuring the same period of time? Approximately 7000 people die each day in the US. Yesterday 1000 were from Covid. On average 100 people die in auto accidents per day.

Explain what is biased with looking at the numbers yourself and seeing that you have a 1 in 1400 chance of dying from Covid vs. 1 in 109 chance of dying in a car accident on the way to be tested for Covid? I did not mention any biased opinion infotainment for money rag news from any commentators that are not even real newsmen let alone scientists?
You might want to look into the numbers a bit more if that's what you're finding. We're at 237k deaths in the US due to Covid and auto fatalities are a fraction of that:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-traffic-fatalities/u-s-traffic-deaths-fell-in-2019-for-third-straight-year-idUSKBN22H1OF said:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported an estimated 36,120 people died in motor vehicle traffic crashes last year, down 1.2% from 36,560 in 2018, even as travel rose 0.9% to 3.23 trillion miles.

Yes, there are other factors at play regarding your risk of dying from Covid but you didn't mention what assumptions were going into your math.

Yes, Americans as a rule are not in the best shape they could be, but on the whole, we are not so morbidly unhealthy as to completely account for the much higher mortality rate. You have to be infected with it before it can kill you, so contagion management also plays a big part.
Many, many of the folks who were otherwise fairly healthy but passed away, did so because they failed to seek treatment before the disease was too far gone, and you have to ask yourself why that was.

Yes, Americans as a rule are not in the best shape they could be, but on the whole, we are not so morbidly unhealthy as to completely account for the much higher mortality rate. You have to be infected with it before it can kill you, so contagion management also plays a big part.
Many, many of the folks who were otherwise fairly healthy but passed away, did so because they failed to seek treatment before the disease was too far gone, and you have to ask yourself why that was.

Totally agree that you have to be infected before it can kill you so controlling spread is important. The bold is mine, though. Where did you get this info?

Last night I saw an article " 13-year old child dies from Covid in Missouri"

Every article I read said "Presumed Covid". I don't know if he had a test.

With that being said, this boy has the most precious face. His mother said doesn't know how she is going to go on without him. It was very rough to read. Heartbreaking.

But we wear seatbelts and have speed limits and driving laws to try and prevent auto deaths. Not sure what your point is.

But we wear seatbelts and have speed limits and driving laws to try and prevent auto deaths. Not sure what your point is.
Just playing devils advocate... we don't require governors (should that have an '?) on vehicles to make sure they don't speed. So are we doing "everything we can" to prevent auto deaths?

Just playing devils advocate... we don't require governors (should that have an '?) on vehicles to make sure they don't speed. So are we doing "everything we can" to prevent auto deaths?

We’re a country of law breakers. We get what we deserve when we don’t take things seriously. I’m alright, Jack.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter