The Trip With An Abundance of Steven, A WDW Jan '23 TR ***Completed 8/8***

Day 7, Part 3
January 28, 2023
"Did She Just Call Me Allie?"

Not to be outdone with ourselves, Mel and I took one last global trek around the World…Showcase.

Pop Mel on an ECV and she can take on the world.

giphy.gif

We slowly made our way over to Pop Gallery where I had picked up the small Edward Scissorhands print a couple of days ago and out of the corner of my eye, I spotted another version of my old friend.

This print was slightly more than the last, I think it was about $50-60, but I had to have it.

I shuffled over to the register and handed the cashier my 2nd art purchase of my entire life.

“Oh, Nomiie is right there. She can sign the print for you if you want.”

And want I did.

Now technically, my print was already signed so I’m not sure exactly how much MORE signed I wanted this print to be, but Nomiie drew a cute, quick little Edward next to her signature and then gently slid it back into the plastic.

“Can I draw you as a monster?” Nomiie asked me, handing me back the art.

So that, dear friends, is how I am now officially a monster drawn by Nomiie herself. Googly eyes and colorful eyeshadow included.

Beard and all

Bidding Nomiie farewell, Mel and I headed off towards China. I was growing parched and beginning to dry out like a stream in a drought. I mean, it had probably been about 30 minutes since our last snack! The madness!

giphy.gif

I decided to stop at Joy of Tea and ultimately decided on the Honey Hibiscus Iced Tea, sans alcohol.

Honey Hibiscus Iced Tea: “Lightly sweetened, organic tea, and blueberry Boba” $6.95. Add rum for $5.05 more.

The iced tea was pretty good and a nice alternative to soda. It was just sweet enough for a bit of an afternoon pick me up but not overly, sickly sweet like a sweet tea would be.

It’s no Strawberry Oolong Slush (RIP) but it did the trick.

We headed back into the Mexican pyramid to bid ol’ Mexican Donald a fond farewell and to take a quick sneaky peak to see if he was moonlighting as a potted plant again.

He wasn’t. All was right in the world.

The standby was posted at 5 minutes, but shockingly enough we had to wait around 10 due to a couple of other parties in front of us also utilizing ECV’s.

But soon enough we were off. And soon enough we were off.

Our time at Epcot was quickly ticking away but we managed to get on one last nail-biting, knee-quacking ride.

Spaceship Earth.

Standby was posted at 5, but since the line never stopped moving, we were on in about 2.

We each opted for our own row, which is a pro move.

Even if the on-ride photo does not look very pro.

giphy.gif

Soon we were thanking the Phonecians, watching Rome burn, and creepily staring at a grown man trying to nap. Eventually, our time machines slowly rotated backwards for our return to Earth and then tossed us back out into Epcot so Mel could return her ECV for the last time.

We took one last long look at the the Great Big Golf Ball in the sky before we waddled to the rideshare drop off/pick up and patiently waited for our Lyft driver Adam to whisk us away to our next destination.

“Oh, you’ve got to be kidding me!!” Mel yelped next to me.

Mel showed me her phone. Remember how the night prior, I said Mel swore off cars that were high off the ground? Remember that?

Disney karma always bites back.

“It’s a stupid pick up!” she half-shouted at me.

I looked at her, she looked at me.

Now, the truck did look like a lifted Ford F-150, so I’ll give her some credit for her panic.

“There’s no way that the truck doesn’t have a foot rail or a “oh s**t” handle for you to grab onto. There’s gotta be something,” I reassured her.

“Watch it doesn’t.”

And watch, it didn’t.

Now Adam might’ve been a cutie but his truck was a bit impractical to use as a Lyft. There was, in fact, no foot rail or “oh s**t” handle. There was literally nothing. I managed to climb in by grabbing onto the side of Adam’s seat in front of me (which was a little awkward since I was literally half an inch away from grabbing his shoulder by accident) and then I turned to look at Mel.

Who was still standing outside of the car, looking in.

“Get your bottom in first, the rest will follow!” I reminded her, in between fits of laughter at Mel’s Lyft luck the past 2 nights.

Eventually, after some choice words muttered under her breath, Mel, Adam, and I were on our way to Wilderness Lodge for our final dining reservation of the trip.

Adam was kind enough to slow to a near-stop so Mel and I could tuck and roll our way out of his truck and scamper into the resort.

We spent a couple of minutes looking around the gift shop and lobby before I checked in for our 8:20 Artist Point reservation at 8.

Mel and I parked ourselves in a couple of the rocking chairs in front of the fireplace and felt the “go-go-go” of the past week slowly sneak up on us.

I’m pretty sure I melted into one of those rocking chairs.

giphy.gif

At 8:18, I got our table ready text and Mel and I were led into the restaurant.

And then parked at the very first table when you enter.

Mel and I both have never been to Artist Point, ever. Not before the menu and concept change nor after. This was a first for both of us.

Our server came over very quickly and told us that this was also her first time here. No, really. She was just helping out. She is usually at the Star Wars Hotel but picked up a shift at Artist Point that evening to do someone a favor.

Mel ordered a coke, I ordered a Wishing Apple Punch.

Wishing Apple Punch: “Crisp apple, white cranberry, and Sprite ®. Souvenir glow cube available for an additional $3.79” $6. I do believe I got the glow cube, even though it doesn’t look like it.

Our server let us know that due to Mel’s shellfish allergy, our apps were going to come out on two separate plates. One for me, one for Mel. And they didn’t get put on the cool tree- which actually bummed me out a little since it’s such a fun presentation and we got pre plated apps on a plate slapped down in front of us. But that’s just me being nit picky.

53085986423_2af5d722b9_c.jpg
Wild Mushroom Bisque: “Chive oil.”; Hunter’s Pie: “Turkey and chicken, cranberry preserve, crispy sauerkraut.”; Wicked Shrimp Cocktail: “Bloody Mary vinaigrette, seaweed salad, spiced house-made seasoning.”

The kitchen replaced Mel’s shrimp with a simple, but delicious, tomato and onion salad.

53085488151_68f74bd71c_c.jpg

We both thought the mushroom bisque was far and away the best app on the plate but generally liked them all. Well, I liked them all. Mel didn’t even touch her tomato salad so I ate it for her. I wanted to try everything!

For our entrees, Mel went with the prime rib while I decided on the beef stroganoff.

Royal Prime Rib Roast: “horseradish-mashed potato, carrots, jus.”

“Cottage” Beef Stroganoff: “tender beef, preserved vegetables, spaetzle, mushrooms, aged cow’s milk cheese.”

Mel really liked her prime rib but thought the popover that it came with was the best part; but she said the prime rib was cooked perfectly and has never met a mashed potato that she didn’t like.

I liked my beef stroganoff but I don’t think I would order it again. It was very one-note and I’m one of those people that needs a mix of texture and flavors. It was very much like a stew, and I wasn’t the biggest fan of the preserved vegetables.

But then, my friends, then magic happened! Our desserts were placed on our little tree and all was right in the world. All I wanted was to use the stupid tree, and now was my chance!

Miner’s Treasures: “Cookies ‘n cream panna cotta, chocolate gems”; Fairy Tale Gooseberry Tart: “Meringue and gooseberry.”; “Poison” Apple: “dark chocolate-apple mousse, sour center.”

I’m not a big dessert fan, I go for more savory foods over sweet, but I did think the desserts were all average to slightly above average, but I don’t remember favoring one far more than the other.

Oh yeah, we also met a couple of dwarfs, a princess, and an evil queen. Minor details. Don’t forget, we got to use the tree!

This is how Steven summons us.

For $65 each, we thought that the dinner was fine. The food was fine. The dessert was fine. The character interaction was fine. But we wouldn’t rush to go back.

We trudged back through the lobby of the resort and headed out to our Lyft- our nice, normal Lyft at 10:13.

We were dropped off back at SS a casual 14 minutes later and both of us began packing up our bags to head back up to the cold, treacherous north the next day.

Yes, yes. Including Mel.

A shower, bath bomb soak, and a slathering of icy hot on my knees, I was in bed by 12.

UFO: “Extraterrestrial fruit and alien berries” $10.99

The alien, which I thought was a fun touch originally, was absolutely disgusting. His gross little hair poked through the bath bomb before it was used and when he was finally released from his bath bomb prison, he was a soggy hairy mess. Gross.

And Mel? Oh, you already know.

giphy.gif

***Coming up: New Jersey isn't ready***

giphy.gif

LOL! Now that you say that, that's more than likely what he actually meant. But up until I read your comment, I still was thinking he meant to get into the car butt-first, and my mind couldn't wrap itself around that.
About Lyfts, it depends a little bit on where you stay and where you're going. We usually pay about $10-$15 depending on what park or hotel we're going to and I think it's about $30-$40 to the airport. We never really have to wait too long. Mel will usually start ordering the Lyft while we're walking to the ride share drop-off/pick up and a lot of the time, our driver is just pulling up as we get there.
We aren't big bus fans. At all. The last thing I want to do at the end of a long park day is wait an undetermined amount of time for a bus that I may or may not get a seat on that may or may not be -4534543 degrees.
We've take a Minnie Van a couple of times to MK but we usually just take a Lyft to the TTC and ferry boat our way over. If you're trying to avoid public transportation (and I don't blame you!) in general, the Minnie Vans are probably the better bet since they drop you off RIGHT there in MK. If you don't mind taking the ferry, go for a Lyft.

That's what I was thinking when she said it was very dry and not good! The table next to us RAVED about it, but I've heard other's say it's not as good as it used to be. They have it available at Capt. Cook's for breakfast if you want to give it a shot and not have to pay table-service prices just for something you may not be totally satisfied with.
LOL! Now that you say that, that's more than likely what he actually meant. But up until I read your comment, I still was thinking he meant to get into the car butt-first, and my mind couldn't wrap itself around that.
About Lyfts, it depends a little bit on where you stay and where you're going. We usually pay about $10-$15 depending on what park or hotel we're going to and I think it's about $30-$40 to the airport. We never really have to wait too long. Mel will usually start ordering the Lyft while we're walking to the ride share drop-off/pick up and a lot of the time, our driver is just pulling up as we get there.
We aren't big bus fans. At all. The last thing I want to do at the end of a long park day is wait an undetermined amount of time for a bus that I may or may not get a seat on that may or may not be -4534543 degrees.
We've take a Minnie Van a couple of times to MK but we usually just take a Lyft to the TTC and ferry boat our way over. If you're trying to avoid public transportation (and I don't blame you!) in general, the Minnie Vans are probably the better bet since they drop you off RIGHT there in MK. If you don't mind taking the ferry, go for a Lyft.

That's what I was thinking when she said it was very dry and not good! The table next to us RAVED about it, but I've heard other's say it's not as good as it used to be. They have it available at Capt. Cook's for breakfast if you want to give it a shot and not have to pay table-service prices just for something you may not be totally satisfied with.
That’s worth the price of not stressing over transportation. I don’t mind the bus on the way home. I like the quiet and the dark. The ride lulls my kids to sleep and I love holding them while I go through my phone to look at the millions of pictures that I took throughout the day. I’ve also have been very fortunate to have wonderful people who will let me sit with 2 sleeping kids in my lap.
The morning is another story. I’m all anxious and I just want to GO and be there already. We had to take Minnie vans in the past because of booster seats but both kids are bigger now and we don’t need them anymore. The ferry sounds like a lovely way to start the day.
When is your next trip?

we get a good deal through my work with Avis and I drive to all the parks, we have DVC and AP so no parking cost. Plus we can go to the store and get groceries if needed. I find it pretty easy to navigate around property most of the time. I do realize that its not for everyone but we like it.
Also how do you like the Doc martins in the parks I always go for Brooks with insoles?

The ferry sounds like a lovely way to start the day.
When is your next trip?
The ferry boat is such an underrated mode of transportation! It really is a lovely start to the day and the views of the Poly and GFlo from the boat are just :thumbsup2 A1, truly.

We actually don't have any trip dates solidified right now, sadly! I know we're going early next year sometime but I was hoping to get Mel to come with me for at least a long weekend this fall. I've sent her many, many Food and Wine Must-Have Lists and she hasn't made mention of a single one.

giphy.gif
we get a good deal through my work with Avis and I drive to all the parks, we have DVC and AP so no parking cost. Plus we can go to the store and get groceries if needed. I find it pretty easy to navigate around property most of the time. I do realize that its not for everyone but we like it.
Also how do you like the Doc martins in the parks I always go for Brooks with insoles?
We've actually talked before about renting a car, especially when my BF at the time worked for Hertz and could have gotten us a rental for free but the thought of driving at Disney just doesn't appeal to us. We like the daily drama of whether or not we're going to get an F-150 to mountain climb into or a gentleman who is learning what a parking lot is for the first time that day. It adds a little spice to the day.

I wear my Docs literally all the time. I go hiking in my Docs, I wear my Docs at the beach, if it was acceptable to sleep in Docs, I would probably do that too. I've worn them in Disneyland too and didn't have any problems. The only time I've ever gotten shin splints AND blood blisters (a terrible combo) was when I wore sneakers to the parks. Docs or cheap-o sandals from Amazon are my go-tos. But I'll pass along the Brooks with insoles combo to Mel- she's always looking for good park sneakers.

“Can I draw you as a monster?” Nomiie asked me, handing me back the art.

So that, dear friends, is how I am now officially a monster drawn by Nomiie herself. Googly eyes and colorful eyeshadow included.

That's awesome! Such a cute souvenir!

We each opted for our own row, which is a pro move.
Smart move. I usually just take my nap sitting up on that ride but I think next time I'm stealing this and really stretching out!

Disney karma always bites back.

“It’s a stupid pick up!” she half-shouted at me.
Oh goodness! I really never knew you could even get a pick-up from Uber and you girls got 2!

For $65 each, we thought that the dinner was fine. The food was fine. The dessert was fine. The character interaction was fine. But we wouldn’t rush to go back.
I've had a few ADRs here that I've cancelled because the menu just doesn't look good to me, especially for the price.

That's awesome! Such a cute souvenir!
Right!! It's probably one of my all time favorite souvenirs I've gotten from Disney- even though it looks a little bit like I have a beard lol
Smart move. I usually just take my nap sitting up on that ride but I think next time I'm stealing this and really stretching out!
There's just something about being able to stretch out and take a load off that is incredibly addicting- especially on rides like Spaceship Earth. If there was a long line, we probably wouldn't do it, but on a walk on? Party of 1, thank you.
Oh goodness! I really never knew you could even get a pick-up from Uber and you girls got 2!
I didn't know it was an option either until it happened! But it was absolutely hilarious the second night, after I swore to Mel there was no way it would happen 2 nights in a row. Ooops!
I've had a few ADRs here that I've cancelled because the menu just doesn't look good to me, especially for the price.
This was the first time I've ever seen an ADR for Artist Point that fit into our schedule so I scooped it while I had the chance and didn't look back. I should've looked back though, because it was pretty mediocre. But I'm glad we got to do it and get it out of the way so I know for the future to not seek out an Artist Point ADR. Which will be a shame when I forget why we didn't think it was worth it and end up booking it again to find out why.

Day 8
January 29, 2023
"All I Heard Was Golf Court"

My alarm was set for 7 the next morning- the LAST morning- but I was up by 6:19, ready to take on the day. Ready to rope drop ROTR, ready to take laps around the World Showcase, ready to unleash the sword from the stone in the Magic Kingdom.

Wait, wait. No.

I was ready to go home?

giphy.gif

Is anyone ever truly ready to go home? Back to reality? Probably not. I know I surely wasn’t.

But still, I was up about 40 minutes before my alarm, putzing around and deciding what to do to pass the next 2 or so hours before we had to leave for the airport.

giphy.gif

Mel on the other hand?

giphy.gif

Around 7:30 or so, Mel finally stirred from her slumber and we decided to place a mobile order at The Artist’s Palette for a quick little breakfast.

The walk from our room to the main building was pretty quick, but oddly enough, it was the only time the entire trip that my feet hurt. I guess the 60+ miles I’d walked throughout the week was finally starting to catch up to me.

But I was on a mission, so I would have to endure the intense foot burn in order to reunite Mel with some pretty average Mickey Waffles.

I am nothing, if not a martyr.

giphy.gif

Mel opted for the Mickey-shaped waffles platter, with a side of sausage, while I went for the kid’s portion of eggs and sausage.

Mickey-shaped Waffles: “served with choice of side.” $9.49.

Egg Scramble: “scrambled eggs served with turkey sausage patty, fresh fruit, and a choice of small lowfat milk or small Dasani ® water. Meets Disney Nutrition Guidelines for complete meals without substitutions.” $7.29. I subbed out the turkey sausage for regular sausage, and I got an Apple juice instead. I did not meet the Disney Nutrition Guidelines.

We both thought our breakfasts were pretty decent- they were the standard quick service eggs, waffles, and sausage. Nothing really to go crazy for, but they hit the spot and would surely keep the hunger demons at bay. At least for a few hours.

Right?

giphy.gif

At 8:40, Mel and I took our final Lyft of the trip to the airport. It was just a simple, average, run of the mill Lyft- which now, at this point in the trip, seems more rare than having an absolutely wild Lyft.

Must be that Florida air.

We pulled up to the airport about 25 minutes later, and waltzed right up to the full service counter. Things were already going much quicker than the last time.

A little too quick.

Mel and I were now at the airport, having over estimated the amount of time it would take us to get through bag services, a full 2 hours before our flight boarded.

Boarded, not even taking off.

We decided to spend a little bit of time walking around the stores pre security and exploring a bit. Or rather, I walked around and explored. Mel was on carry-on watching duty.

I found out there are actually 2 Disney and Universal Stores. 2! Who would’ve known?!

Probably everyone else, tbh. But not ya girl.

I color myself Courtney every dang day.

This will be mine the next time I am at Universal- I love it so much.

Around 7:50, Mel and I finally decided to cut our losses and head through security.

But not before another front row faux monorail ride.

Sans alligator spotting this time, sadly.

Steven, where are you?!

The regular security line was posted as a 23-27 minute wait, but Precheck was only around 10 minutes.

Not bad, Precheck. Not bad.

And yes, you know already Mel got a little extra security booty pat. One for the road.

Once through security, we decided to head to the food court to scout out something to take on the plane for lunch. Could we have just had a couple of snacks on the 2 hour flight instead? Yes, but that wouldn’t be very “us” now would it? No. A full lunch spread fits us better.

The post security food options near Gate 100-129 are fairly normal mall food court options- Chipotle, Green Leaf’s, Jersey Mike’s, McDonald’s, and a few other options.

What did Mel and I opt for?

Asian Chao Oriental Eatery.

I got the 2 item combo which came with my choice of steamed rice, vegetable fried rice, or vegetable Lo Mein and a side of Cheese Rangoon.

Vegetable Lo Mein, Bourbon Chicken, Orange Chicken: $13.20

Cheese Rangoon: I don’t have the exact price but I would say they were between $5-6.

Mel kept it simple with just a side of Lo Mein.

Lo Mein side: $6.95

Not to be outdone with ourselves, we took a quick pit stop at Hudson News before we moseyed on over to our gate for a Cherry Coke Zero and some Twizzlers bites for me and a root beer and a bag of original Sun Chips for Mel.

Filled to the proverbial gills with snacks and lunch, Mel and I finally waddled down to our Gate and patiently waited for pre board to be called at 11:30.

We were on the plane a mere 3 minutes later and plopping down in the 4th row. As per usual.

Once everyone was finally on board, and the flight attendants gave all of the rowdy passengers a quick beatdown for not sitting, and stayed sitting, down, we started our take off at 12:15 for our slightly under 2 hour flight (1 hour, 58 minutes to be exact).

Our flight was pretty uneventful, which is truly what you want in a flight. I passed the time eating delicious bourbon chicken (seriously, it was so, so good. The best mall food court chicken I have EVER had. I will get it again, mark my words) and watching a mix of Chopped and Bob’s Burgers while Mel snacked on her Lo Mein and watched Crimes of Grindelwald.

We landed at 2:25 and were off the plane only 5 minutes later.

My dad, who offered to scoop us from the airport, was already waiting for us by baggage claim- like a true dad, he was there about 45 minutes early and was just waiting around. Probably flagging all of the security concerns for being a random man perched near strangers’ luggage for almost an hour.

La Guardia likes to mess around and truly make you regret ever setting foot on New York soil, so they played "keep away" with our entire flight’s luggage for oh…a full 30 minutes. Thank you, La Guardia. Newark would never.

We were on the road right around 3pm and by 4:15, I was home and giving my senior cat all of the kisses and hugs he never truly wanted.

His love language is biting and scratching.

giphy.gif

Mel didn’t stick around long- knowing that if she stopped to rest and hang out for a minute, she would never make it back to Philly before she needed to head to work in the morning. She quickly loaded up her car and headed on her way, marking the true end of our vacation.

And just like that, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Actually, it was the end of this trip report.

giphy.gif

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who read, commented, or even thought about this report! I hope you enjoyed reading, and laughing, with me.

I’m not sure exactly when Mel and I will be back in Orlando. I know we have vague plans for next spring but nothing truly set in concrete. But don’t worry, we always go back.

Disney can’t keep us away. And Disboards can’t keep me away either.

I’ll be sure to keep you all updated.

Until then, dear friends!

giphy.gif

As always, the end of the trip fills me with slight sense of melancholy. As I sit here and plan out my trip, I look at the last day and am filled with an intense sense of sadness. For something that isn't even real yet. And then the cars behind me start honking since I've been blocking traffic for apparently two hours and I'M the bad guy, I guess. 🙄🙄

At any rate, I enjoyed being allowed to tag along on your adventures and the experiences contained here within. Lots of fun and glad you had a great time, weird Lyft encounters aside.

Thank you again!

Awww darn its almost as bad as when you actually have to leave Disney on your own. Great trip report and looking forward to the next one for you and Mel. My wife and I along with my parents will be there the first week of October so I have something to look forward to.

Thank you again for the excellent trip.

Mel opted for the Mickey-shaped waffles platter, with a side of sausage, while I went for the kid’s portion of eggs and sausage.

I love a last day QS breakfast at WDW!

What did Mel and I opt for?

Asian Chao Oriental Eatery.

:oops:

I always go for the easiest to carry, least messy snack to bring on the plane. You girls apparently like to live dangerously!

I’m not sure exactly when Mel and I will be back in Orlando. I know we have vague plans for next spring but nothing truly set in concrete. But don’t worry, we always go back.

Aw! The end of a trip always makes me so sad! Thank you for sharing and I hope you get back soon so you can write another TR! It's been such fun reading along! :love:

I don't think I ever commented, but I really enjoyed your trip report. Thank you for sharing it with us!

That's a classic dad move - that's the same thing I do when picking up my wife or daughter at the airport.

Has Mel ever considered flying out of Philly and meeting you at MCO? I know that ride home from north jersey can be a PIA depending on traffic and rush hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter