• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Tortured Poet's Department- anyone else listening?

YESSSSSSS... It's good... Like second best album good (INO). 1989 will always be my favorite but I love it. Also Post Malone is SO underrated. He is an amazing talent and given his appearance, doesn't get a fair shake.
Somehow it always kind of takes me by surprise how much I enjoy so many of his songs, maybe it is the looks, IDK. Maybe he's better off having sort of a "sleeper" presence or image, for lack of a better term, and it will end up giving his career more longevity and creative freedom.

Taylor has some songs I enjoy. Haven't heard the new stuff yet, but I absolutely will as younger DD is a huge fan. I do give her props for putting in the serious work, but I'm frequently put off by the mythology around her -- although it's hard to guesstimate where the line is regarding her responsibility for that, versus what is media/social media fantasy spun by others.

Cool.

What a blessing to be around to see a GREAT-GRANDDAUGHTER grow up!!!!
Thank you and believe me we do not dismiss the wonder of this special time. She is everything you would want your
grandchild to be and has taught her great-grampa and I so many things through her eyes. We are so much more curious, and accepting of different values, life-styles and viewpoints. She is truly a blessing to all of us. I wish everyone
could have our experiences. :lovestruc:sunny:

I listened to I Hate it Here, I Can Do It With A Broken Heart, and Florida!! It will take a while to get through more.

I have to ask a dumb question. I go back to the vinyl 33's and 45's (almost back to the very breakable 78's). I've purchased many 33's (still have about 400 of them, and a few are quadraphonic), cassettes (no 8 tracks, I skipped those), CD's, DVD's. Today, if I want to play a song, I'll search on YouTube and play it.

How do the artists make their money now with their music sales (not tours and merchandise)?

I have to ask a dumb question. I go back to the vinyl 33's and 45's (almost back to the very breakable 78's). I've purchased many 33's (still have about 400 of them, and a few are quadraphonic), cassettes (no 8 tracks, I skipped those), CD's, DVD's. Today, if I want to play a song, I'll search on YouTube and play it.

How do the artists make their money now with their music sales (not tours and merchandise)?
I’m the same. I don’t know the answer to how they make their money. I know they get paid for streaming but I’m sure it doesn’t equate to the dollars earned in the past from album sales.

Whenever a song is played on a streaming service that service pays royalties to the shareholders. Idk where said services the money from, but they’re paid something like $.005 per play.

@Dan Murphy Musical artists sell digital downloads now instead of physical albums, records & CDs. One can buy the individual songs or the full album. (And as stated above, when a streaming service plays a song, the artist gets royalties for it being played.)

If you recorded a video on your phone, it would be in MP4 video file format. Audio files, like the digital downloads are in MP3 audio file format. Somehow the music companies encode the files so that they can't be copied and distributed endlessly amongst one's friends.

Don't know if this part has changed, but some of them even only are allowed to be downloaded a number of times to different devices. (Ages ago, after I upgraded phones 4 different times AND I had downloaded to my laptop, then again a newer laptop, I had hit my limit of downloaded devices, and I could not download to a new device, I had stopped buying songs. :badpc: Also, some of the stores I had bought music from, like Tower Records, went out of business, so there was no way to re-download music I had already bought. NOT doing that again.)

Supposedly, Taylor Swift had also put out souvenir CDs of her Eras Tour, with each album in different CD colors and packaging. Singer, Billie Eilish, at age 22, and part of the Gen Z generation which are really into being eco-friendly and caring about our environment, blasted Taylor (of the Millennial generation) for all that extraneous re-packaging of the same songs and all the waste to the environment that ultimately creates.

Last edited:
@Dan Murphy Musical artists sell digital downloads now instead of physical albums, records & CDs. One can buy the individual songs or the full album. (And as stated above, when a streaming service plays a song, the artist gets royalties for it being played.)

If you recorded a video on your phone, it would be in MP4 video file format. Audio files, like the digital downloads are in MP3 audio file format. Somehow the music companies encode the files so that they can't be copied and distributed endlessly amongst one's friends.

Don't know if this part has changed, but some of them even only are allowed to be downloaded a number of times to different devices. (Ages ago, after I upgraded phones 4 different times AND I had downloaded to my laptop, then again a newer laptop, I had hit my limit of downloaded devices, and I could not download to a new device, I had stopped buying songs. :badpc: Also, some of the stores I had bought music from, like Tower Records, went out of business, so there was no way to re-download music I had already bought. NOT doing that again.)

Supposedly, Taylor Swift had also put out souvenir CDs of her Eras Tour, with each album in different CD colors and packaging. Singer, Billie Eilish, at age 22, and part of the Gen Z generation which are really into being eco-friendly and caring about our environment, blasted Taylor (of the Millennial generation) for all that extraneous re-packaging of the same songs and all the waste to the environment that ultimately creates.
You don’t have to download them from streaming services though. You CAN, but it doesn’t usually cost extra.

Multiple artists do multiple versions of their albums now. It’s the collecting aspect people like. And at this point, that’s really all anyone is doing with CDs.

I, as an adult woman of a certain age, am not ashamed to admit that I listened to it last night on Spotify at midnight!

Then I read several really good & thought-provoking reviews. And googled who Charlie Puth is.

Then I fell asleep while watching “Modern Family”.

And then I woke up this morning to the news that she released the Anthology songs at 2:00 am, & I still have only listened to bits & pieces of those songs released at 2:00 am.

Anyway, I really liked it! But that seems mild for such an album.

It’s chaotic & unhinged in the best way.

My favorites, so far, are probably “But Daddy I Love Him” & “Florida!!!”

“So Long, London” & “loml” are heartbreaking. And so is “I Can Do It w/ a Broken Heart,” but in a different way.

“Clara Bow” was really intriguing too - I loved that it ended on the line “You look like Taylor Swift… You’ve got edge; she never did.”

I liked “Fortnite,” but I wish Post Malone was actually featured more in the song - I had no idea he could have such a soft quality to his voice.

I just watched the video for “Fortnite” that was released at 8:00 pm est tonight. It is wonderful! And you can really see how her Grammy outfit & “look” were a preview specifically for “Fortnite.”

“Midnights” is still probably my favorite album along w/ “Reputation”, & I also loved “Folklore” & “Evermore.” And there are a few other songs from some of her other albums that I will probably keep as my top fav Taylor songs - “Cruel Summer,” “The Archer,” “Sweet Nothings,” “Delicate,” “Don’t Blame Me,” “Wildest Dreams,” “Peace”…

She’s such a great lyricist!

I’m the same. I don’t know the answer to how they make their money. I know they get paid for streaming but I’m sure it doesn’t equate to the dollars earned in the past from album sales.

Whenever a song is played on a streaming service that service pays royalties to the shareholders. Idk where said services the money from, but they’re paid something like $.005 per play.

You don’t have to download them from streaming services though. You CAN, but it doesn’t usually cost extra.

Multiple artists do multiple versions of their albums now. It’s the collecting aspect people like. And at this point, that’s really all anyone is doing with CDs.
Thank you all for some enlightenment.

I know that, for the most part, people do not buy a physical item (record, cassette, disc) to play, but rather a digital file. Let's say I want to buy Billy Joel's new album (do they still call it, an album?). Where do I buy it? Do I buy a digital album of 8-12 songs, like a vinyl album ($3.98) back when? Or a single, like a 45 (89 cents) back when? Do I get a file that I have on my device, a file that I own? Or is it in a cloud, only to be streamed?

Oh, the days of Napster, when I used to get on Vince's case for 'stealing' music.

I know that, for the most part, people do not buy a physical item (record, cassette, disc) to play, but rather a digital file. Let's say I want to buy Billy Joel's new album (do they still call it, an album?). Where do I buy it? Do I buy a digital album of 8-12 songs, like a vinyl album ($3.98) back when? Or a single, like a 45 (89 cents) back when? Do I get a file that I have on my device, a file that I own? Or is it in a cloud, only to be streamed?

Oh, the days of Napster, when I used to get on Vince's case for 'stealing' music.
I use Spotify. I can make a playlist on a cloud, or download it to my device because I pay for premium. But the free services hold the music in the cloud. I don’t pay for individual albums. I just pick what I like and download it. One song at a time, or a whole playlist, or a whole album. It’s almost like an infinite music library (I mean, some artists aren’t on there).

I use Spotify. I can make a playlist on a cloud, or download it to my device because I pay for premium. But the free services hold the music in the cloud. I don’t pay for individual albums. I just pick what I like and download it. One song at a time, or a whole playlist, or a whole album. It’s almost like an infinite music library (I mean, some artists aren’t on there).
I have Amazon Music subscription. I just looked and Swift's new album us there, 32 songs. They're in the cloud. I play a song. She gets a bit of money paid to her from Amazon from my playing that song? I don't see an option to download and own the music, just play it.

I still buy CDs on Amazon and upload them to my classic iPod. I have over 7000 songs on the device. Just bought a new cd last week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter