Nov 9
Free T4 1.20
Free T3 3.28
TSH .03

Dec 6

Free T4 .47 (.7-1.9)
Free T3 1.33 (1.45-3.48)

TSH 23.02 (.49-4.67)

Wow that is a huge difference! :confused: :confused: :confused: I wonder if there was a lab mix up with your results???? I've just never seen or heard of such a big jump before!

The Nov 9th is moderately hyper, and assuming it was the same ranges, your FT 3 and FT 4 weren't out of range yet. That's why they did the uptake.

But everything has tanked on the second one? I'm so sorry - you must feel like cr*p!!!!! They need to get some synthroid into you.

Did they test your antibodies?
Did they say anything at all about the difference in the labs? Suggest that you have a third one maybe?

They need to test the TPO and oh gee the second one escapes me at the moment. They also should test the TSI antibodies - although that test is much more expensive than the other two, so not unless they really suspect you have Graves.

Did they mention nodules or doing a scan? Sorry if you talked about these things before and I forgot.

I'm just :confused: :confused: :confused: !

Oh and good for them for doing both the FT4 and FT3!!!!!

Wow that is a huge difference! :confused: :confused: :confused: I wonder if there was a lab mix up with your results???? I've just never seen or heard of such a big jump before!

The Nov 9th is moderately hyper, and assuming it was the same ranges, your FT 3 and FT 4 weren't out of range yet. That's why they did the uptake.

But everything has tanked on the second one? I'm so sorry - you must feel like cr*p!!!!! They need to get some synthroid into you.

Did they test your antibodies?
Did they say anything at all about the difference in the labs? Suggest that you have a third one maybe?

They need to test the TPO and oh gee the second one escapes me at the moment. They also should test the TSI antibodies - although that test is much more expensive than the other two, so not unless they really suspect you have Graves.

Did they mention nodules or doing a scan? Sorry if you talked about these things before and I forgot.

I'm just :confused: :confused: :confused: !

From what I have been told, everything is negative. No nodules, the antibody was ok, the uptake was fine..... I am to go get another set of labs drawn today. I feel very tired, cold, and FAT. I gained back all 15 pounds thanks to the dining plan and whatever is going on with me. I haven't seen my dr in almost 3 months, I just keep getting calls to go take different tests or labs. I am just really sick of it all.

From what I have been told, everything is negative. No nodules, the antibody was ok, the uptake was fine..... I am to go get another set of labs drawn today. I feel very tired, cold, and FAT. I gained back all 15 pounds thanks to the dining plan and whatever is going on with me. I haven't seen my dr in almost 3 months, I just keep getting calls to go take different tests or labs. I am just really sick of it all.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

I think you should pressure them about the labs results being so different - I think you shouldn't be charged for at least one of them. I was thinking of this when I was taking my synthroid this am and wondering if the lab may have used the wrong test tube (they have different substances in the tubes depending on the test) or switched your lab results. It just seems wrong to me. When I have a dose change, the doc rechecks me in 6-8 wks as it takes that long to get just a small change. She started me on just .25 synthroid and TSH moved from 3.23 to 2.1 in 8 weeks. And T4 only moved from 1.0 to 1.1.

Even when I was hyper, the docs office always told me - it takes a long time to move TSH and it moves very slowly. That lab - the one with the TSH at 22 and the T4 and T3 correspond to your symptoms. With the first lab, you may not have had any symptoms of hyper yet as your T3 and T4 were normal. I had a really low TSH and no symptoms for 4 months before all the heart palpitations started. All I had was a really HUGE appetite without gaining weight.

:hug: :hug: :hug: Thyroid problems really stink!

Well, we are military, so I am not paying for any of this. At least there is a bright side! I was put on beta blockers in Nov due to rapid heartbeat. I was losing weight hand over fist and was just so jittery. As soon as the beta blockers kicked in, my weight started to creep up. The dining plan did the rest to my weight.

Hopefully, the labs today will shed some light on what is happening. I can call to get the results tomorrow, or go in and get a print out.

Hi! I was just diagnosed with hypothyroidism today and stumbled on this thread. My Dr's office called in a prescription for me today and I'll start taking it tomorrow morning. I'm supposed to go back at the end of February to have more blood drawn and checked to see how the meds are working. I'm kind of excited that they know what's wrong with me now and can give me meds to fix it.

Did anybody else with hypo feel starving all the time before going on the regulatory meds? Lately, it seems like I'm always hungry regardless of what I eat. Just wandering if it's related to the thyroid stuff or in my head b/c I've been freaking out wondering what I have for the last couple of weeks.

Thanks for the thread OP!

Well, we are military, so I am not paying for any of this. At least there is a bright side! I was put on beta blockers in Nov due to rapid heartbeat. I was losing weight hand over fist and was just so jittery. As soon as the beta blockers kicked in, my weight started to creep up. The dining plan did the rest to my weight.

Hopefully, the labs today will shed some light on what is happening. I can call to get the results tomorrow, or go in and get a print out.

Oh ya, that is hyper - jittery, palps and weight loss. But the beta blockers are just to control your heart rate nad the palps - they shouldn't affect your weight at all.

I swung back and forth - mild hyper and mild hypo for years.

The nurse called today to schedule another round of labs in two weeks.

Yesterday's numbers were: (the ranges are the same as the above post)

T3 1.62
T4 .67

TSH 15.36

I asked the nurse about the huge difference in the numbers in the TSH, and she said the dr just thinks it is thyroiditis. The dr is just keeping an eye on the numbers and hoping it is going to resolve itself over time. I sure hope so. It looks like the numbers are going in the right direction.

T3 1.62
T4 .67

TSH 15.36

I asked the nurse about the huge difference in the numbers in the TSH, and she said the dr just thinks it is thyroiditis. The dr is just keeping an eye on the numbers and hoping it is going to resolve itself over time. I sure hope so. It looks like the numbers are going in the right direction.

Okay, so now you are going back down. Wow!!

T3 1.62
T4 .67

TSH 15.36

Did he say what kind he thought it was? Is this an endo or an internal medicine. I'm thinking endo because you had mentioned the uptake.

http://cpmcnet.columbia.edu/dept/thyroid/thyroiditis.html

T3 1.62
T4 .67

TSH 15.36

With a TSH level that you were at its amazing you got out of bed in the AM. I remember you were put on the beta blockers but no anti thyroid meds right? I have suffered thyroiditis quite a few times I have/had Graves disease. Whenever I had a bout my hyper symptoms worsened.

Like mentioned already ask for the thyroid antibodies test. I am familiar with situations where a person can have a bout with hyperthyroidism only to become hypo shortly after. In that case it really isnt Graves at all just hyperthyroidism that's cause has yet to be determined.

I hope you are feeling better and do not have to deal with these ups and downs much longer!:hug:

Me on the other hand recently had a total thyroidectomy due to uncontrolled Graves and I dont know if I'm coming or going. I have my first blood test since the surgery next week and I am so anxious to see where I am at. Weird to be on synthroid now after taking anti thyroid meds for so many years. If its a possibility I feel hypo/hyper! :lmao:

I am just posting here in support of you all.. I do not have thyroid disease but my daughter survived thyroid cancer, thyroidectomy and lives her life on levoxil. Her doctor changed her meds when the synthroid scare happened a while back.. Anyway, I want to say here, I can only imagine how difficult this is for all of you and please know that we support you in anyway we can with a hug or words of advice..

I am really glad there are some good veteran thyroid people who can talk the lingo for those who need the help... I know enough, but not enough to say too much about levels..

I will say this, know your body, know how you feel on whatever dosage they give you and speak up for what you need... I cannot tell you how many times they have fooled with dd's meds and cause such huge issues....too many to name.. so speak up if you do not think the dosage is correct, you know your own body..

Hugs.

With a TSH level that you were at its amazing you got out of bed in the AM. I remember you were put on the beta blockers but no anti thyroid meds right? I have suffered thyroiditis quite a few times I have/had Graves disease. Whenever I had a bout my hyper symptoms worsened.

Like mentioned already ask for the thyroid antibodies test. I am familiar with situations where a person can have a bout with hyperthyroidism only to become hypo shortly after. In that case it really isnt Graves at all just hyperthyroidism that's cause has yet to be determined.

I hope you are feeling better and do not have to deal with these ups and downs much longer!:hug:

Me on the other hand recently had a total thyroidectomy due to uncontrolled Graves and I dont know if I'm coming or going. I have my first blood test since the surgery next week and I am so anxious to see where I am at. Weird to be on synthroid now after taking anti thyroid meds for so many years. If its a possibility I feel hypo/hyper! :lmao:

I am pretty sure I had the antibody test already in Nov. I had one lab value that came in a few days later than the others that they had to send away for. I don't remember hearing anything about the results....Yes, they did put me on the beta blockers, but nothing else.

I don't know what is happening really. I get the feeling they think it is tied to some viral trigger. ( I had a sinus infection when this all started) When the numbers were really high I just felt like those early weeks of pregnancy when you don't have any energy. Today I am feeling pretty normal. (whatever that is... LOL)

I am just glad so far it isn't anything major. I really feel for you with a thyroidectomy. That is probably my greatest fear. That feeling of being dependent on the meds for the rest of your life and have to constantly be checking for changes. :hug: Hugs to you that they get you evened out quickly. We are here for you.

Thanks everyone for helping me sort this out!

Thyroiditis causes temporary hyperthyroidism, usually followed with hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid). Thyroiditis is an inflammation of the thyroid gland. There are three types of thyroiditis:

Hashimoto's thyroiditis
subacute granulomatous thyroiditis
silent lymphocytic thyroiditis

I would guess you have subacute granulomatous thyroiditis. It basically translates to a self limited thyroid condition that usually follows an upper respiratory viral infection (YES, could be the sinus infection!) The good news is that 90 to 95% of patients return to normal thyroid function. It sounds to me like you have already progressed to the second phase and actually with your TSH level lowering on your way to becoming Euthyroid (normal thyroid gland function). Laboratory tests in the later phase of disease may show:

*High serum TSH level
*Low serum free T4
You have both.

It sure sounds like it is on its way to resolving itself without any need for medications. I am so pleased that you received proper medical care and testing, consider yourself lucky. Many are not as fortunate. So if I were you I would continue to be diligent with your blood tests track your levels and hope all continues on this predicted path for your dx. I would also ask your doc if you need to stay on the beta-blockers.

I hope with each passing day you continue to feel better! Thank you also for the well wishes.:)

Oh ya, that is hyper - jittery, palps and weight loss. But the beta blockers are just to control your heart rate nad the palps - they shouldn't affect your weight at all.

I swung back and forth - mild hyper and mild hypo for years.

I was just reading Dr. Oz's book (YOU ON A DIET), and he explained that Beta Blockers DO affect weight losss.

When you are taking Beta Blockers, it is very hard to lose weight. I was NOT happy to read that, since I have both a thyroid problem and I take a beta blocker, but it does explain why it is so hard for me to lose weight.

ok, new labs in

Free T3 2.17 (1.45-3.48)
Free T4 .67 (.7-1.9)

TSH 8.19 .49-4.67
The Dr now wants to put me on synthroid. I will go pick it up later and report back on how much. I am suprised with the numbers still moving around that much that he is giving me something. Two weeks ago the TSH was at 15.

Anyway, I am to do get labs done in 6 weeks and schedule a follow up with him.

ok, new labs in

Free T3 2.17 (1.45-3.48)
Free T4 .67 (.7-1.9)

TSH 8.19 .49-4.67
The Dr now wants to put me on synthroid. I will go pick it up later and report back on how much. I am surprised with the numbers still moving around that much that he is giving me something. Two weeks ago the TSH was at 15.

Anyway, I am to do get labs done in 6 weeks and schedule a follow up with him.

He's giving you something because you have gone far too long already with a TSH level that is too high. Your T3 and T4 can stand a boost too. I feel my best with a suppressed TSH and my T3 and T4 pushing the upper ends of their ranges. While everyone is different, your TSH is just too high. I would be cold very very tired and feeling like crap overall. It is totally not unusual for you to now be hypo following your bout with hyper. Most people will stay medicated on thyroid replacement for life after that happens. Be thankful, in a few weeks you should be feeling much better and on your way to becoming euthyroid! The next set of labs is six weeks, the amount of time it takes to get a steady level of synthroid in your system. Good Luck and keep us posted! :)

I am just sort of confused. The last time I spoke to the nurse, she said it was thryoiditis and the dr was just watching to see if it resolves itself. :confused3 With the numbers, specifically the TSH, making yet another huge jump, wouldn't you wait another 2 weeks to see if they move more? Like I mentioned, the TSH went down another 7 points.

I am feeling cold and tired most days, but I am functioning alright. Maybe I've been feeling like crap for so long, that I can't tell the difference anymore.:rotfl:

Hugs Lyeag... I do hope they figure this out for you and get you straightened out..

I am not so good on the numbers, now if my daughter was reading this thread, she would be able to tell me exactly where you are with your levels..

I do hope the synthroid helps with the symptoms and you start feeling like your old self real soon..

I am just sort of confused. The last time I spoke to the nurse, she said it was thryoiditis and the dr was just watching to see if it resolves itself. :confused3 With the numbers, specifically the TSH, making yet another huge jump, wouldn't you wait another 2 weeks to see if they move more? Like I mentioned, the TSH went down another 7 points.

I am feeling cold and tired most days, but I am functioning alright. Maybe I've been feeling like crap for so long, that I can't tell the difference anymore.:rotfl:

Nov 9
Free T4 1.20
Free T3 3.28
TSH .03

Dec 6

Free T4 .47 (.7-1.9)
Free T3 1.33 (1.45-3.48)

TSH 23.02 (.49-4.67)

Jan -07
Free T3 2.17 (1.45-3.48)
Free T4 .67 (.7-1.9)

TSH 8.19 .49-4.67

I added your recent labs to your previous two.

Since your levels are rebounding I dont see why you cant ask your Doctor to wait another two weeks and test again before making a decision. Based on your results I totally agree with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter