The Surprise Trip - Last Day :-(

PixieDusting

The Red-headed Pixie!
Well, this was our last day, Saturday the 19th. Dang :-( The plan was to stay at DL all day, as a sort of "best of day" thing. Ride our favorite rides, see Animazement, ride the train and the monorail, etc. These plans as you will see quickly changed.

EE at DL was 6:30....there was no way any of us wanted to do that! But, we did want to be in the park before it opened to the public, so 7:30 was the plan. I overslept (and was unable to get the remainder of our things packed before the rest of the gang woke up) so they headed to the park at about 7:20, and I followed about 1/2 hour later.

When I got to the DL gate, the CM said I had used up my hopper. I explained to her that I had one more day on it, that my family had the same passes and were in the park, etc, etc. No luck. I had to wait about 5 or so minutes till she went to get a supervisor to let me in :-(...hey at least they did let me in, right? Can't figure out what caused that, unless all the park hopping we had done had caused some problem with the days.

The others had already gone to Space Moutain to find it was closed, again. They did ride the Teacups and BTMRR before I got there. We hooked up and got FP's for Indiana Jones, then rode the Jungle Cruise, Splash Mountain twice and visited the Haunted Mansion. I had totally forgotten that we wanted to eat lunch at the Blue Bayou (this was one of DS's few requests this trip)...yikes! I headed over there at 9:30 and they did have ressies for 11:30...yippeeee! We then used our FP's for Indy, thank goodness we had them. At 9:30 the standby line was already 75 minutes! After that we asked at CM to call over to Space Mountain to see if it was open. It was, so we went over there and got FP's. Standby for that was 60 minutes. DH then headed back to the hotel to check us out, and Colin, Grace and I saw HISTA.

By the time we got out of HISTA the park was SO crowded we decided to sit down and regroup. The kids were fading fast, and I hate crowds. Colin came up with the idea of us going to see a movie that afternoon instead of staying in the park. I thought that was a terrific idea, but Grace wasn't as thrilled about it. She wanted to keep going and going and going. LOL. She got overuled. I called the AMC theater in DtD and got the times for Shrek that afternoon. DH met up with us and we all rode Space Mountain again....and once again the music wasn't playing :-( Every time I rode it this trip it wasn't working. Darn!

Time for our lunch at the Blue Bayou. We ducked and swerved and ducked and swerved our way over to the restaurant. Man oh man the crowds were thick! We had visited during Easter week last month, and we all agreed that the crowds were worse today than they had been then.

Lunch was terrific as usual! We were pleased to get a water side table :-) Colin and I split a salad and a Monte Cristo. We had told Grace how wonderful it was, but she ordered a kids meal instead. Once she tried a bite of ours, she was hooked too! She ended up sharing our sandwich as well! Amazing to me that one sandwich can feed 3 people...it's very filling. Brett ordered the Jambalaya, which is terrific as well! I had quietly told the waitress that it was Colin's birthday, so after our meal she and some of the other waitstaff brought out a chocolate mousse and sang a quick one or two sentence birthday ditty to Colin. Just short enough that he wasn't too embarrassed! I can't stress enough how much we enjoy the Blue Bayou. It is SO relaxing and quite. The ambience can't be beat. It is such a wonderful way to re-energize during a busy and crowded day at the park. We love it!

Ok, time to leave the park. Blew off Animazement, the train and the monorail :-( We did take our time leaving, and spent a good 20 minutes or so at the pin cart (Grace's last fix, poor thing). Colin admired this neat Cinco de Mayo Mickey pin on a guest's lanyard that I was chatting with. He really liked it but didn't attempt to trade with her. A few minutes later she came up to him out of the blue, and told him there was a pin at the pin cart that she liked, and if he bought it she would trade the Mickey pin for it. He was off in a flash to buy that pin and do the trade! She was so sweet to do that, and it really made his day!

We left the park to go to the WOD store so Grace could buy the Eeyore shirt she had eyed a couple of days before. We got there and were disappointed that the largest size they had was a kid's large, which just fit her...once it went into the dryer it would be curtains for the shirt :-( I felt so bad for her, she had saved her money, been planning on buying it for 2 days, just to find that it was too small. Talk about bursting one's bubble. So, the hunt was on to find her a different Eeyore shirt. We found 2 or 3, she tried them on but really didn't love them. Finally we found THE ONE! Definitely not as cute as the one she orginally wanted, but she was pleased, so we were pleased!

The kids were definitely feeling better after our lunch and getting out of the crowds, so we decided to forgo the movie and head into DCA for the remainder of the afternoon :-) Quite frankly I was sick of DCA by now. I do really like it, but we just seemed to do the same things over and over again, there's just not enough stuff there yet. We got there at about 2 or so, and of course made a beeline for Paradise Pier. We all rode Screamin' again, the kids rode the Stinger again, then we saw that the Golden Zephyr was actally running...amazing! But, by the time we walked over there is was closed, again :-( So we stopped at the pin cart. The parade was just coming by, so we spent the entire time speaking with a really nice CM named Gary at the cart. He had lots of little tidbits to share about the park, what the future expansion plans are, what they're going to do about the Golden Zephyr and Mulhulland Madness (since they are closed way more than they are open), etc. I also made a trade with a woman I had seen earlier in DL. I had admired a pin on her lanyard, but hadn't attempted to trade with her then. I really liked that pin, so she and I sat down on one of the benches and worked out a trade. My only trade with a guest this trip...and I was one happy camper!

After that we saw Golden Dreams, rode Screamin' two last times (almost a walk on) and then it was time to go :-( It's always hard to leave, and this time was no exception.

We ate an early dinner at Naples in DtD. We had hoped for an outside table, but even at 5:30 there were none available. Inside seating was very noisy, especially with the open kitchen right behind us. Good food but we had very odd service! The kids both ordered a kids pepperoni pizza which they both liked. They both ended up with 1/2 left over which they ate on the plane ride home. Brett and I shared a caesar salad and a pizza with marinara, mozzerella and basil. Yummy, but it arrived at our table barely lukewarm. Their pizzas are thin crust (like a flatbread), which we all prefer. We will go back, their pastas sound great, but it was just too early for us to have such a filling meal.

Got our bags from bell services and changed into our jeans :-( for the plane ride home. As we were getting organized we realized that bell services had not given us one of our bags. Thank goodness we had taken the time to change clothes, otherwise if they had loaded the car and we had just left, we wouldn't have realized it till we got to the airport! Left the hotel at about 7 for our 8:30 flight from LAX, and the vacation was over........

I'll post some thoughts about this trip in a day or so. AND...if someone will take pity on me and explain how to post pics here, I'll include a few from the trip as well.

Thanks so much for reading, these have been LONG trip reports and I hope I haven't bored you all too terribly much! Have a great weekend!

Pixie,

Just wanted to say that I've enjoyed ALL of your trip reports, including your post-trip thoughts and tips!!! I love all the detail you put into your reports, including the expressions of the kids and all the surprises involved. I'm sure they will remember it always! I don't have kids, but when I do have one, i would love to plan a surprise trip such as you did!

Great reporting! I enjoyed reading all of them, what a great surprise for everyone. I would imagine any kid would love to have a mom like you. Liked that you shared all the little things that most people skip, really gets you the feeling of being there! Thanks for taking the time to report:D

I'm surprising my DD with a trip to Calif and of course DL and DCA - learving August 17. Thanks for posting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter