The stress

Joel0917

DIS Veteran
It’s way more than I ever thought it could be. We are a fully vaccinated family cruising the 27th from Galveston. We tested negative yesterday but the stress of these next two days. Seeing family that some don’t care and are going party to party and around people who have tested positive. Not us but others that we are likely to cross paths with. We can’t go in a selfish Christmas bubble. But not sure with omicron being less severe than the flu but more transmissible is being handled fairly by the cdc. After reading the story in these boards of the family on 12/20 cruise makes it even worse. It’s gonna happen to many people at the port.
It’s so much stress to anticipate flying down, and just not knowing.

We can’t go in a selfish Christmas bubble.
If I were cruising in 3 days, I would 100% isolate myself and my family in a bubble from people I thought were jeopardizing my health and cruise.
Totally agree. If I've booked a cruise (or any other trip) that I didn't want to miss, I'd be separating myself from the time I took my own, personal, COVID test several days prior to actually departing.

It’s way more than I ever thought it could be. We are a fully vaccinated family cruising the 27th from Galveston. We tested negative yesterday but the stress of these next two days. Seeing family that some don’t care and are going party to party and around people who have tested positive. Not us but others that we are likely to cross paths with. We can’t go in a selfish Christmas bubble. But not sure with omicron being less severe than the flu but more transmissible is being handled fairly by the cdc. After reading the story in these boards of the family on 12/20 cruise makes it even worse. It’s gonna happen to many people at the port.
You may want to test on the 25th and the 26th just for peace of mind. You’ll still be worried, but it will reduce your odds of testing positive. Of course anything can happen, but the odds aren’t that great. I was on the 12th sailing and there was 3 reservations out of 141 or so that had an issue. Some of those issues also had to do with lost tests.

We are cruising shortly after Christmas and are not celebrating with family this year. The same actually happened last year. We want to protect the investment we made into our vacation. We will FaceTime and chat with family over the phone but nothing in person this year. Gotta do what you gotta do to stay covid free for the cruise!

We can’t go in a selfish Christmas bubble.

Why the heck not?? My family is SO careful - masks, etc. - and I got sick on Tuesday. Thankfully it's not COVID but it's bad enough that I cannot fly. Supposed to leave tomorrow and it's canceled - an international trip with the possibility that I could be quarantined because of "symptoms". Others in our extended family have been exposed so we wouldn't be seeing them anyway. Anyone who doesn't understand that is just selfish!

Last edited:
I am waiting for my test results for the Dream sailing today. People from our fb page have already been turned away For asymptomatic positive results. They will not retest. I feel horrible for them.
Remember, the positive test is the only thing that is an issue. Asymptomatic is not a factor.

As someone that wasn’t allowed to see my mother the last two christmas‘s and then losing her this Fall I would say family is more important than a cruise. Try to relax enjoy your time with your family. Chances are you will test negative. Stressing over something you can’t control will make you miserable. Like it’s been mentioned many times you can catch it anywhere. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

I would use rapid tests on the days leading up to your flight; at least that way you can skip the flight if you do happen to show positive. I do not consider isolating myself for a period prior to a trip to be selfish since its become a fairly normal thing to do... can you ask that everyone use a rapid test before your gatherings? That's how we handled my brother's visit from overseas a couple months ago. Everyone understood we needed to mitigate the risk they couldn't fly home on time as much as possible.

If I were cruising in 3 days, I would 100% isolate myself and my family in a bubble from people I thought were jeopardizing my health and cruise. Actually, I would do that even if I wasn't cruising. Good luck!
We made the difficult decision to self quarantine since yesterday til our 12/26 sailing. It's challenging because that means we are missing out on the family festivities, but if we are terrified with the rising cases that we will be turned away for asymptomatic positive results.

We bought 3 etc of binax now at home tests and tested today (negative) and plan on doing another at home tomorrow and morning of.
If covid doesn't kill me this anxiety/stress will.

I am waiting for my test results for the Dream sailing today. People from our fb page have already been turned away For asymptomatic positive results. They will not retest. I feel horrible for them.
Remember, the positive test is the only thing that is an issue. Asymptomatic is not a factor.
Asymptomatic is a factor, because if they were symptomatic, they never would have gone to the port, and therefore never been so hard hit by surprisingly testing positive at the last minute.

As someone that wasn’t allowed to see my mother the last two christmas‘s and then losing her this Fall I would say family is more important than a cruise. Try to relax enjoy your time with your family.
This. The Christmas season is sacred to many, a very important time to spend with loved ones, not something to be shelved or artificially postponed for the sake of a vacation.

Nah. I'd be more than clear to people that I will see them another time.
It’s not always that easy to see family another time. Everyone situation is different. Some families are spread out all over the country and holidays are the only chance to get together.

Safe travels to everyone this week. I feel for people with all these cancelled flights.

It’s not always that easy to see family another time. Everyone situation is different. Some families are spread out all over the country and holidays are the only chance to get together.

Well, the OP is traveling with his family, so maybe this Christmas that's the family he can focus on. Next year, they can spend time with others.

I keep reading about cruise ships not being allowed into ports because of outbreaks onboard and I’m wondering what’s prompting the cruiselines to test so many people onboard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter