• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The stinky rides--When should I pinch my nose??

This is weird, but this tip really helped me when I was pregnant with smell issues.

I kept a few clothes dryer sheets with me at all times. When I ran into a smell, I would breath in the dryer sheet until I got control of myself or left.

I have not been to Disney pregnant, but it did work for me at restaurants and other smelly places.

the rides that consist of a little boat on a track that ride in water have a stale moldy smell to them (its a small world, splash mountain, etc). Hard telling what will trigger an issue for you, though. I wouldnt say figment is that bad.
It's the smell of bromine--it smells musty but it's what prevents the water from being moldy and gross. They use it because chlorine would make the rides smell like a neighborhood swimming pool. But yes, it has a distinctive scent.

Re: Figment, I do not think it smells like a real skunk (it's nowhere near as strong, and it's just "off" in a way I wouldn't be able to describe)...but it does smell quite bad.

Question for the board: are fake scents something Disney warns for on attraction signage? I think it's not entirely likely since they pump smells into other parts of the park without notice. On Main Street, for instance, they scent the air outside the bakery to draw people inside.

The resorts have smells pumped into them too.

Mission Space is a potential smelly place depending on whom you are with. I'm sure you shouldn't ride that one pregnant anyway.

The skunk smell is really a scent of burnt coffee. Try thinking of that if you do notice it and it messes with you.

Real skunk smells more like Bad Onions. Figment skunk smells like burnt rubber (I know it's coffee, but it smells like rubber to me. Very chemical)

Thank you! Skunks are a pretty good warning. Does it actually smell like skunk? I'm from Hawaii and I never smelled one until I moved to SC just recently. P.U. they stink! My friends make fun of me whenever I hold my nose too, because I do it in a funny way. But it's better than throwing up or getting a headache!

P.U.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the tips! I have a pretty good idea of what food smells bother me, but there are always surprises and large quantities might make us react differently. That said, your mere mention of hot dogs made me gag.

That's a good thought about the "pleasant" smells. We'll probably end up just pinching our noses whenever there is a smell of any sort, good or bad. Maybe we should bring some clothespins along! Hahaha.

P.U.!!!!!

I realize your trip is next week and it’s too late to do anything about it, but from reading all your PUs, this is probably not going to be a very pleasant visit as it is hard to escape a lot of these things. (Plus all the things you shouldn’t ride while pregnant...)

I hope I am wrong and that you two have a wonderful time though! Just be prepared!

Question for the board: are fake scents something Disney warns for on attraction signage? I think it's not entirely likely since they pump smells into other parts of the park without notice. On Main Street, for instance, they scent the air outside the bakery to draw people inside.

I have never seen a warning for scents.

When we did Disneyland at 5 months pregnant, I remember the smell of the water in Small World was actually the worst to me. It's almost a musty smell like if you left clothes too long in the dryer.

I also remember being pleasantly surprised about the trash cans. Everywhere else, I couldn't handle a trashcan to save my life. Disney must change out trash often or have bins that seal really tight because I had zero issues.

I also kept a small, pleasantly-scented candle (either lemon or cranberry...like tea-light size) in my pocket, glove compartment of car, stroller compartment, etc for most of that pregnancy because holding it up to my face sometimes saved me when I was about to puke. I know that sounds weird, but similar to the dryer sheet thing above, I guess.

It's the smell of bromine--it smells musty but it's what prevents the water from being moldy and gross. They use it because chlorine would make the rides smell like a neighborhood swimming pool. But yes, it has a distinctive scent.

Re: Figment, I do not think it smells like a real skunk (it's nowhere near as strong, and it's just "off" in a way I wouldn't be able to describe)...but it does smell quite bad.

The only central Florida certified as autism friendly is Sea World Orlando, they have warnings for sight, sound, smell and touch.

I always find that rubbing alcohol works for me when I'm nauseous. They sell the little square swabs that are super easy to keep in your purse or even in a pocket

I realize your trip is next week and it’s too late to do anything about it, but from reading all your PUs, this is probably not going to be a very pleasant visit as it is hard to escape a lot of these things. (Plus all the things you shouldn’t ride while pregnant...)

Despite the queasiness, I did have a wonderful time when I was there and pregnant. there's plenty of things to do at Disney, even if you take away the rides pregnant women are warned to avoid, and as for the smells---they were bothering me no matter where I went (Driving by out local donut shop in the morning on my way to work bothered me so much I changed my route to work!) so if I'm going to deal with that issue, might as well deal with it at Disney. :)

Depending on what time of year you go, the worst thing you smell could be your fellow park guests.....LOL. When we went in August, I’m certain we’d have gagged a pregnant lady! When I was pregnant, the smell of scrambled eggs made me want to hurl. I had a co-worker come running into a tiny meeting room one morning and shut the door behind him. As he plopped down with his egg sandwich I told him he had about 90 seconds to eat it or get out, or he was going to watch me hurl in the trash can. He ate that thing in record time LOL. I like the dryer sheet idea.

The skunk smell on figment seems very mild to me.

The really bad smells in WDW are all related to ground sulfur:
-The entrance to HS all the way to the right where they are digging up (the line is shorter that side to rope drop RoR because nobody wants to deal with the stank)
-Sometimes Tomorrowland at MK because of the Tron construction/digging
-Buses at park closing. Especially when it's hot out and flatulent guests have been drinking the free sulfur Florida tap water all day. With the buses packed... boy, it can get outright nasty.

Those are the worst offenders on property IMHO.

Last edited:
Dryer sheet, yes! Or some people like to carry one of those Vick's mentholator things (nasal vapor breather) to take a whiff of when necessary.

My issue was other people's smells...body odor and perfumes. If you're standing beside someone for 30 Mon in line it can be a long time. Bring a small handkerchief that smells like home and out that in your bag. Bring it out when you need to smell YOU and not others. Lol

I hope I am wrong and that you two have a wonderful time though! Just be prepared!

Despite the queasiness, I did have a wonderful time when I was there and pregnant. there's plenty of things to do at Disney, even if you take away the rides pregnant women are warned to avoid, and as for the smells---they were bothering me no matter where I went (Driving by out local donut shop in the morning on my way to work bothered me so much I changed my route to work!) so if I'm going to deal with that issue, might as well deal with it at Disney. :)

My thoughts exactly! I'm just dramatic lol. I might say P.U. a lot, but that doesn't mean I'm not having a good time! I'm looking forward to this trip more than I've looked forward to anything for quite some time. I could probably even go and have a great time just soaking in the atmosphere, not riding anything. It's a great place to people watch and just let things trigger memories. And of course, seeing my friend experience everything for the first time. And if I miss out on anything, all the more reason to go back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter