• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Square Takes on the World

mitchsfan

Mouseketeer
Well just got back from an 8 day trip to The World. We (my DW, DS, and DD) went with our best friend's family. We had a good time.

We stayed at the Pop in a standard room. Our only request that we would be next to each other. We were on the second floor of the 50s building. This was our third stay at the Pop and we really liked the room location. It took about 5 minutes tops to get to Classic Hall and the Food Court.

Here are some observations:

Weather: stunk. One moment we are sweating profusely and then the next moment there was a torrential downpour. We were part of the blackout at Magic Kingdom Sunday night when power was lost. We wore our ponchos every day!

Food: We were on the Quick Service Plan. We barely used our mugs and there were no RFID chips in them. (Dear Disney, only 3 colors of the mugs really?) The new Food Court at the Pop was average at best. We stayed there 2 years ago and really liked the food. I had been dreaming about the Ruben Flatbread for two years. They don't make that anymore. The Ruben stromboli was okay. The Meaty stromboli was really good. Our best counter service meal was probably Casey's. We ate the following places: MK: Casey's Peco Bill's, Epcot: Sunshine Season, Cantina de San Ángel, DHS: Pizza Planet. AK: PizzaSafari, and DTD: Earl of Sandwich

We had 4 sit down meals. We ate at 1900 Park Fair for dinner. I heard alot of great things about the character interactions there and was really looking forward to it. Maybe we were there on an off night but the interactions weren't great great. We had breakfast at Crystal Palace and Donald's Safari in AK. The Crystal Palace was awesome. Food and the server were really good. The food at Donald's was okay, though their juice was disgusting. Our favorite meal was 50s Prime Time. I was not looking forward to this meal but our waitress was awesome and we had a great time there. The food was great too.

PhotoPass Plus: We split it between the two families. It was a good investment. I think we got over 300 pictures. The ride pictures alone pay for the price of it.

Cast Members: Read some previous posts about non friendly cast members. They must have been fired because I did not see one of them during our stay. Everyone was willing to help and were very friendly. They made the magic happen.

Magic Bands: We had the magic bands. They worked great for the 8 days there. One time it didn't work for my wife but she went back a few moments later and it allowed her into the room. Never had another problem with them. Used them for room key, tickets and the quick service dining, and fast pass plus. Really really enjoyed them and look forward to having them in the future.

if you are going to buy the little charms for the magic bands - buy the sliders. They slide over your magic bands. The other ones go into the holes and can come easily off or caught on to something and pop off. You will never know you lost it until it is too late.

Fast Pass Plus: We scheduled our fast passes about a month earlier and stuck to most of them. It seemed though it took over our scheduling - (we cant go on this ride because we have fast passes for ride XYZ in a little bit). My advice is to get fast passes for the parade. We had them for the 3 o'clock parade and there were 2 other families in the roped off area with us. We literally were right in front of the castleand had great character interactions. Captain Hook stiffed me for a high five, or high hook!:)

Others on Your Trip: This was the other family's first trip to the World. Their children are a little older than our children. They wanted to do every ride and no characters while my kids are into the tamer rides and character interactions. If you are tripping (Disney is not a vacation...it's a trip) with another family, know their likes and dislikes and understand that time away from each other is okay!

Wow I have been wondering about the fastpass plus. That will not be good if it makes us feel tied down since we will also have restaurant reservations we need to stick to.:rolleyes:

Sorry about your weather! No matter what though, Disney is awesome. Thanks for the report! I am so excited for these babies to roll out, even if I don't get one because I rarely stay on property (I'm poor)! Hopefully someday they will be available to the lamies like me!

Military Wife & Disney Lover. be there December 15-18.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter