• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Sound of Music

I love the movie as well, but agree that "My Favorite Things" is not a Christmas song.

And it wasn't just a different Babs who included it on her holiday album. Many other singers have done so. The most recent that comes to mind is Kelly Clarkson. I heard her version the other day in some store, maybe Target.

True, but he was a ginormous PITB before Maria worked her magic on him. I never could figure out what Baroness Schraeder saw in him. He was insufferable.

I have my theory. He had a certain status and lots of influential friends and associates. She pretty much just had money and a title. Once hitched she probably intended to keep away as much as possible.

True, but he was a ginormous PITB before Maria worked her magic on him. I never could figure out what Baroness Schraeder saw in him. He was insufferable.
  • Georg, far from being the detached, cold-blooded patriarch of the family who disapproved of music, as portrayed in the first half of The Sound of Music, was actually a gentle, warmhearted parent who enjoyed musical activities with his family. While this change in his character might have made for a better story in emphasizing Maria's healing effect on the von Trapps, it distressed his family greatly.
  • Though she was a caring and loving person, Maria wasn't always as sweet as the fictional Maria. She tended to erupt in angry outbursts consisting of yelling, throwing things, and slamming doors. Her feelings would immediately be relieved and good humor restored, while other family members, particularly her husband, found it less easy to recover. In her 2003 interview, the younger Maria confirmed that her stepmother "had a terrible temper. . . . And from one moment to the next, you didn't know what hit her. We were not used to this. But we took it like a thunderstorm that would pass, because the next minute she could be very nice."
https://www.archives.gov/publications/prologue/2005/winter/von-trapps-html

Two years ago I was able to see it on the big screen. Intermission and all.

What a joy.

Even though many networks do the three hours, there were scenes/shots I have not seen in a long time.

I saw it on the big scene as a child. My friend’s mom took us to see it for my friends birthday. Considering when it was I am guessing it was a 15th anniversary screening.

I watched it the other day on Disney Plus.

I saw it on the big scene as a child. My friend’s mom to us to see it for my friends birthday. Considering when it was I am guessing it was a 15th anniversary screening.

Me too. I am thinking seventies for me. I remember the massive line-up vividly.

--------

This time I had forgotten all about Intermissions. The younger people in the audience did not know what the heck was going on. :laughing:

The Baroness was played by actress Eleanor Parker. She was in the 1950 Women-in-Prison flick "Caged" where she portrayed a doe-eyed innocent sent to The Big Doll house for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and emerged as a bitter, cynical, tough-as-nails "broad" angry at the world.

She acquired the knowledge to easily send wannabe nun Maria packing in short order, to a place from which there is no return, at the first hint of her victim, er, intended husband, showing attention toward Maria. Too bad she didn't.

Yes, in the stage production, The Baroness was more likeable.

I always found the character exquisitely entertaining. I don't know what that says about me. :laughing:

She, like Christopher Plummer, lived a long life.

AND she was seven years older than the Captain. ;)

Last edited:
I enjoy watching The Sound of Music every Christmas time. But it is not a Christmas movie and My Favorite Things isn't a Christmas /Winter holiday song.
I saw it a few year after its release in the Movie Theater in my Dad's hometown in Western PA. I was about 11 and went with my Mom, Sis & Dad's Aunt who was "old"& a friend of hers . Looking back she was only 5 years older than I am now😉. On the way out my Great Aunt said Christopher Plummer could put his slippers under bed anytime( she was a Widow). Didn't understand it then but once I was few years older agreed 100%.

Last night my daughter brought her 2 1/2 year old nephew from her husband's family down to visit me in our basement apartment. He pointed at our not turned on TV and said "scary father doe a deer". Turns out he was allowed to see a little bit of The Sound of Music the other night. Took us awhile to figure it out why he said it.

I've done the Sound of Music bus tour in Austria. It was cheesy but a lot of fun.

Aren't they a little bit cheesed off about it in Austria? Not only about how it portrays Austrians but the utter historical inaccuracies. The real story is that the Von Trapps were married for a decade before leaving Austria, and they left Austria by taking a train across the border to Italy without anyone really caring whether or not they left. Not only that, but that Maria and Georg had three biological children together before they left Austria.

Two years ago I was able to see it on the big screen. Intermission and all.

What a joy.

Even though many networks do the three hours, there were scenes/shots I have not seen in a long time.

I vaguely remember some bits that were in the theatrical release but are cut from TV.

Aren't they a little bit cheesed off about it in Austria? Not only about how it portrays Austrians but the utter historical inaccuracies. The real story is that the Von Trapps were married for a decade before leaving Austria, and they left Austria by taking a train across the border to Italy without anyone really caring whether or not they left. Not only that, but that Maria and Georg had three biological children together before they left Austria.

Yes, from what I understand, the Broadway musical and especially the film are fiction “based on a true story.”

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter