• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Sheraton Vistana Resort Thread (key links on p.1)

I personally have not been able to figure out where to find this information. When Sheraton was at the helm they were very good about communicating with owners. Since Marriott took over Sheraton there seems to be a culture of non-communication. Most of the communications channels (aside from your maintenance fees are due messages) have gone completely silent.

I will say that for the section where we own, the annual budget still shows a healthy schedule and budget for ongoing renewal, but the newsletters and website updates on the overall resort have vanished and that is where we would gather this type of information. I assume that the other Owners Associations in the Resort have maintained the same. We all felt the impact of special assessments a decade ago and certainly don't want the resort to decline so that we face that situation again.
Thanks for the reply. I've been staying at the Vistana for many years and remember the last update that took place in Cascades between 2012-2014. I was led to believe that they are on 10-12 year cycles, so wondered if they might start soon. I was there in March and December last year and parts were beginning to look a bit tired, especially the carpets.

Thank you, Elaine, for posting the activity schedule. Hubby is VERY excited to see the mixology class at the Tiki Bar. What a fun new offering!! We will be there in 59 days (our first time being in Florida in March) so hopefully it's offered a few times over our week.
You’re welcome! Your postings have helped me so much - I love details lol!

March is great - although certainly busy everywhere. Fab to escape the Canadian cold though :)

We are here now and back again in February. Haven’t decided yet about March…

You’re welcome! Your postings have helped me so much - I love details lol!

March is great - although certainly busy everywhere. Fab to escape the Canadian cold though :)

We are here now and back again in February. Haven’t decided yet about March…

I find it very ironic that we managed to avoid traveling on March break for our son's entire childhood, and now that he's grown (and married a teacher) it ends up being our week of choice LOL Everyone has always told me how wonderful the weather is in March, so hopefully that will help make up for the crowds. That's what I'm telling myself anyway!!

This will be our first trip with the daughter-in-law, and her first time to Florida since she was in kindergarten. We are very excited to introduce her to all the things we love about Orlando .... beginning with the Vistana. We hope she gets bitten by the bug as badly as we all have been!

If you happen to make it back to the resort between the 11th and the 18th, be sure to send me a message and we can meet up for a drink :-) .

I find it very ironic that we managed to avoid traveling on March break for our son's entire childhood, and now that he's grown (and married a teacher) it ends up being our week of choice LOL Everyone has always told me how wonderful the weather is in March, so hopefully that will help make up for the crowds. That's what I'm telling myself anyway!!

This will be our first trip with the daughter-in-law, and her first time to Florida since she was in kindergarten. We are very excited to introduce her to all the things we love about Orlando .... beginning with the Vistana. We hope she gets bitten by the bug as badly as we all have been!

If you happen to make it back to the resort between the 11th and the 18th, be sure to send me a message and we can meet up for a drink :-) .
Totally ironic! I am so excited to finally get to come without worrying about school holidays (although we do still watch the calendar when we bring my young adult kids).

I can’t believe your son is grown and married now! I seem to remember a bunch of pics of him from your trip reports over the years. It will be so exciting to being your DIL and introduce her to Disney - hopefully she catches the bug!

Meeting up for a drink would be fun :)

I can get a 2br unit 8/6 through RCI. Any chance I could request that as a 2br lockout?
Well, you can request it certainly, but there is a very high likelihood that you won't get that. All of the 1BR villas at Vistana are one-half of the 2BR LO - there are no natural 1BR villas. If they are Marriott's units, they will split it into two 1BR units because they get a ton more $$$ that way and they need to meet the demand for 1BR villas. It is highly unlikely that an owner depositing in RCI wouldn't break it up on deposit as they get almost double the trading power that way. If you are going at a VERY slow time the resort might honor that request because they have excess inventory, but I wouldn't count on it. I know I only once made the mistake of not splitting our 3BR LO at Silver Lake when depositing to RCI as it was our first year of ownership and I was still learning the ropes.

I can get a 2br unit 8/6 through RCI. Any chance I could request that as a 2br lockout?
This would be very hard to do. From most of my experience, when Vistana does bulk banks into II and RCI, they usually split all the lock offs and deposit them all as 1BR units. Thus there are no real in tact 2BR lock off units left in place unless a 2BR lock off owner reserves their full unit. Generally, Vistana is going to keep you in the unit type you have confirmed based on occupancy. Since the LO units are really 8/8 behind the scenes (II doesn't even list these as a unit type), it may not be possible for them to move you as someone who really booked an 8/8 (owner reservation) should be guaranteed that unit.
there are no natural 1BR villas.
I know this nuance doesn't really matter much to the context of the question asked, but there are some natural 1BR units in Cascades.

This would be very hard to do. From most of my experience, when Vistana does bulk banks into II and RCI, they usually split all the lock offs and deposit them all as 1BR units. Thus there are no real in tact 2BR lock off units left in place unless a 2BR lock off owner reserves their full unit. Generally, Vistana is going to keep you in the unit type you have confirmed based on occupancy. Since the LO units are really 8/8 behind the scenes (II doesn't even list these as a unit type), it may not be possible for them to move you as someone who really booked an 8/8 (owner reservation) should be guaranteed that unit.

I know this nuance doesn't really matter much to the context of the question asked, but there are some natural 1BR units in Cascades.
Okay, I am not aware of any natural 1BRs, and Vistana doesn't show any on their floorplans here: https://www.vistana.com/destinations/sheraton-vistana-resort/villas but we have only had villas in Cascades a couple of times and the 1BRs were both part of a LO. Are they in any specific buildings? Always happy to add to my knowledge of the resort!

Okay, I am not aware of any natural 1BRs, and Vistana doesn't show any on their floorplans here: https://www.vistana.com/destinations/sheraton-vistana-resort/villas but we have only had villas in Cascades a couple of times and the 1BRs were both part of a LO. Are they in any specific buildings? Always happy to add to my knowledge of the resort!
Yeah, I don't know why Vistana doesn't have a floorplan on the website for them. I notice they are missing a few floorplans for several other resorts too. You can see them in the condo related documents/drawings for the Cascades phase that were recorded with the county.
https://or.occompt.com/recorder/eag...92.pdf?id=DOCC21000792.A0&parent=DOCC21000792

Here is the floorplan for phase 1 Cascades. Floors 1-3 are the same with the fourth not having the 2BR lock off on the end. I don't know exactly what building this would be. Perhaps you know based on the unit numbers. Not sure if all Cascades buildings/phases have them or not
1676554806453.png

1676554850743.png

It also looks like Lakes Phase 8 and 10 also has natural 1BR units. I don't know about phase 9 as I can't find the condo drawings for it. It seems that if a building has 2BR lock off units, there are also natural 1BR units in there too. I have heard some complaints from owners of these that when they book them as a home resort week that the resort sometimes places them or their guests into the standard 1BR units that don't have the patio. Those being the small side of the 2BR lock off. I don't know how they can legally do this since one actually owns a different unit type.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't know why Vistana doesn't have a floorplan on the website for them. I notice they are missing a few floorplans for several other resorts too. You can see them in the condo related documents/drawings for the Cascades phase that were recorded with the county.
https://or.occompt.com/recorder/eag...92.pdf?id=DOCC21000792.A0&parent=DOCC21000792

Here is the floorplan for phase 1 Cascades. Floors 1-3 are the same with the fourth not having the 2BR lock off on the end. I don't know exactly what building this would be. Perhaps you know based on the unit numbers. Not sure if all Cascades buildings/phases have them or not

It also looks like Lakes Phase 8 and 10 also has natural 1BR units. I don't know about phase 9 as I can't find the condo drawings for it. It seems that if a building has 2BR lock off units, there are also natural 1BR units in there too. I have heard some complaints from owners of these that when they book them as a home resort week that the resort sometimes places them or their guests into the standard 1BR units that don't have the patio. Those being the small side of the 2BR lock off. I don't know how they can legally do this since one actually owns a different unit type.
Well now that's really cool! I didn't know that you could pull up the plans on the OC Registrar site. I've only ever used it to search out our deed (to ensure it had been appropriately filed). I'll have to play a bit to figure out how to do that!

So that building is certainly Cascades building #1, the villa numbers match. But that also got me thinking so I took a quick look at the map and there is a great deal of variability in the size of the buildings in Cascades; not as cookie cutter as I thought. That building #1 has 32 villas, but Cascades ranges in size from 41 villas in #7 and #9 down to 20 villas in #3. The average is 30.5 villas per building. So I can only think that the as-builts must be variable across the section.

I must also apologize for earlier comments on the 1BR where I maintained that the smaller 1BR did not have balconies; that was probably one of these natural 1BR villas. They are also pretty small at around 580sf.

I don't think that the buildings we stayed in had these 1BR going by the configuration of the doors on the outside corridors - the spacing between doors wasn't right.

Well now that's really cool! I didn't know that you could pull up the plans on the OC Registrar site. I've only ever used it to search out our deed (to ensure it had been appropriately filed). I'll have to play a bit to figure out how to do that!

So that building is certainly Cascades building #1, the villa numbers match. But that also got me thinking so I took a quick look at the map and there is a great deal of variability in the size of the buildings in Cascades; not as cookie cutter as I thought. That building #1 has 32 villas, but Cascades ranges in size from 41 villas in #7 and #9 down to 20 villas in #3. The average is 30.5 villas per building. So I can only think that the as-builts must be variable across the section.

I must also apologize for earlier comments on the 1BR where I maintained that the smaller 1BR did not have balconies; that was probably one of these natural 1BR villas. They are also pretty small at around 580sf.

I don't think that the buildings we stayed in had these 1BR going by the configuration of the doors on the outside corridors - the spacing between doors wasn't right.
Yeah, on the Orange County Comptroller site, you can uncheck the box in the upper right to search only by condo related documents and then I enter part of the phase name into the Legal field on the Advanced tab.

As for the 1BR units, there seems to be three types in each of the two phases; Lakes & Cascades

Cascades
Dedicated/natural 1BR - 521sqft
1BR Standard (small side of 2BR lock off) No balcony - 471sqft
1BR Premium (large side of 2BR lock off) - 855sqft

Lakes
Dedicated/natural 1BR - 579sqft
1BR Standard (small side of 2BR lock off) No balcony - 480sqft
1BR Premium (large side of 2BR lock off) - 920sqft

It seems that as they built out new phases, they made the rooms smaller.

Yeah, on the Orange County Comptroller site, you can uncheck the box in the upper right to search only by condo related documents and then I enter part of the phase name into the Legal field on the Advanced tab.

As for the 1BR units, there seems to be three types in each of the two phases; Lakes & Cascades

Cascades
Dedicated/natural 1BR - 521sqft
1BR Standard (small side of 2BR lock off) No balcony - 471sqft
1BR Premium (large side of 2BR lock off) - 855sqft

Lakes
Dedicated/natural 1BR - 579sqft
1BR Standard (small side of 2BR lock off) No balcony - 480sqft
1BR Premium (large side of 2BR lock off) - 920sqft

It seems that as they built out new phases, they made the rooms smaller.
Neat, that works. was able to pull up some more documents about our ownership, although most I had from the sales transaction (deed company provided). But yes, they get smaller. That's why we love our Courts townhome villa. At 1,500sf on 2 levels it really is like having a house.

Courts is the original phase, thus named because Vistana Resort was originally opened as a Tennis Club.

Last edited:
I don't think it's been mentioned here yet (apologies if it has, and I missed it ... I'm very rarely on the boards these days). but assuming no one has made note of it thus far, the Pre-Arrival Coordinator at the Vistana has changed (again).

The current person occupying that role is Camille Brannon. For anyone with upcoming spring trips who wants to submit pre-arrival requests via email, her contact information is Camille.Brannon@vacationclub.com .

Does anyone know the amount of the incidental hold for Vistana Villages? Marriott's sometimes slow in releasing them, so I'm trying to decide if I should put it on a different card.

Does anyone know the amount of the incidental hold for Vistana Villages? Marriott's sometimes slow in releasing them, so I'm trying to decide if I should put it on a different card.
I beleive it is now $25 per night. So, for a seven night stay, it would be $175.

Could anyone tell me if the springs or courts areas have been refurbished recently? We are looking to request a quietish area and thought these might be suitable as a request but perhaps not if they are very dated/in need of refurbishement. Thanks

Could anyone tell me if the springs or courts areas have been refurbished recently? We are looking to request a quietish area and thought these might be suitable as a request but perhaps not if they are very dated/in need of refurbishment. Thanks
As far as I know, they haven't. The most recent refurbished units are still Lakes and Fountains and even those are coming up on three years old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter