The Running Thread--2024

ATTQOTD
I tend to not listen to anything most runs, just enjoy where I am and try to work on the mental game of not getting bored or upset if the run feels like it’s not going well.
Sometimes though I just want to run fast and will stick the aipods in, then it’s either back to my skate boarding punk days with Agent Orange, Misfits, Dead Kennedys, etc. or lately it’s been 80’s hair metal.
The last five were a couple weeks ago off Apple Music’s shuffled list of many:

Quiet Riot - Metal Health
Lynch Mob - Wicked Sensation
Motley Crue - Kickstart My Heart
Hanoi Rocks - Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Judas Priest - Turbo Lover

Definitely still like fast and loud

@nao
Because I’m bored, and my running playlist is “only” 11h25m long and that’s not quite long enough for me to not repeat some songs when I run Dopey in January 😄😄

QOTD: people who run with music, what are the last 5 songs you listened to while running (or pick 5 random songs you like to run to if you don’t remember the last 5)?

ATTQOTD:
Can’t Stop The Feeling — Justin Timberlake
Tell Me Baby — Red Hot Chili Peppers
Right Round — Flo Rida
I’ve Just Seen a Face — Jim Sturgess (from the Across the Universe cast album)
Come On, Come On — Smash Mouth

ATTQOTD: I have a 16.5 hour running playlist and I cull that down to shorter playlists for specific races. A lot of them are songs I don't normally listen to, but discovered on Spotify EDM playlists for running. I usually let the playlists shuffle but I do have some current favorites:

1. Titanium - David Guetta and Sia
2. Freaks - Timmy Trumpet, Savage
3. Tsunami - DVBBS, Borgeous
4. Sabotage - Beastie Boys
5. X Gon' Give It To Ya - DMX

The last five that came up in shuffle were:
1. Portals - Avengers: Endgame soundtrack
2. Turn Down for What - DJ Snake, Lil Jon
3. Slide - Goo Goo Dolls
4. Enter Sandman - Metallica
5. Pacific Rim theme

Unrelated: Either my body is broken or my Garmin body battery has just decided not to recharge anymore. I've been under 10 for the past week. I'm not sick. My heartrate hasn't been unusually high or low. I've been going to bed at the usual time. Waking up the usual amount during the night. Not waking up any earlier than usual. Work hasn't been unusually stressful and I've been running regularly again. Last night, my body battery didn't increase at all! Like, seriously? I'm getting ready to banish body battery and stress from the app home page completely because seeing those numbers is stressing me out more! :

Unrelated: Either my body is broken or my Garmin body battery has just decided not to recharge anymore. I've been under 10 for the past week. I'm not sick. My heartrate hasn't been unusually high or low. I've been going to bed at the usual time. Waking up the usual amount during the night. Not waking up any earlier than usual. Work hasn't been unusually stressful and I've been running regularly again. Last night, my body battery didn't increase at all! Like, seriously? I'm getting ready to banish body battery and stress from the app home page completely because seeing those numbers is stressing me out more! :

My FR recently did a software update -- did yours? Maybe it's related to that. Because the battery scale is just a calculation based on other metrics (sleep, stress, etc). If those are working, it's probably a software glitch. I'm not sure if Garmin lets you back up a step or if you have to factory reset, but might be worth a shot.

What is your HRV? Your sleep score? Maybe the sleep you’re getting isn’t quality sleep and isn’t giving you the recovery you need. Or maybe your Garmin needs a hard reset.

My FR recently did a software update -- did yours? Maybe it's related to that. Because the battery scale is just a calculation based on other metrics (sleep, stress, etc). If those are working, it's probably a software glitch. I'm not sure if Garmin lets you back up a step or if you have to factory reset, but might be worth a shot.
Mine had an update the other day. It was wonky before then, though. I was hoping the update might fix it, but no dice.
What is your HRV? Your sleep score? Maybe the sleep you’re getting isn’t quality sleep and isn’t giving you the recovery you need. Or maybe your Garmin needs a hard reset.
Sleep has been green! Resting heart rate has been consistent in the low 60s. I was on my period recently, but not anymore, so I feel like that should improve everything! I dunno. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Mine had an update the other day. It was wonky before then, though. I was hoping the update might fix it, but no dice.

Sleep has been green! Resting heart rate has been consistent in the low 60s. I was on my period recently, but not anymore, so I feel like that should improve everything! I dunno. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I'd try the hard reset.

I'm still using my Apple Watch Series 8 for running. Other than my old Series 5 dying on me during the 2022 marathon, I have not had an issue with battery life. However, I believe that the time has come for me to upgrade to a more running oriented watch. I was trying to program a workout and the native Apple workouts only allow you to customize a single workout during a session. I was trying to program a workout to include multiple sets at different paces. There is a third-party app called Workoutdoors that I could purchase, but I figure that I might as well go the route of getting a dedicated running watch that gives me the additional benefit of having a longer battery life as well as the other metrics that a Garmin provides.

I am leaning toward the Garmin Forerunner 965. Does anybody own this watch? If so, can I please get a frank opinion. Also, would anyone recommend a Coros over the Garmin FR?

I'm still using my Apple Watch Series 8 for running. Other than my old Series 5 dying on me during the 2022 marathon, I have not had an issue with battery life. However, I believe that the time has come for me to upgrade to a more running oriented watch. I was trying to program a workout and the native Apple workouts only allow you to customize a single workout during a session. I was trying to program a workout to include multiple sets at different paces. There is a third-party app called Workoutdoors that I could purchase, but I figure that I might as well go the route of getting a dedicated running watch that gives me the additional benefit of having a longer battery life as well as the other metrics that a Garmin provides.

I am leaning toward the Garmin Forerunner 965. Does anybody own this watch? If so, can I please get a frank opinion. Also, would anyone recommend a Coros over the Garmin FR?
That’s the watch I just got a couple months ago! I really like it. I replaced my Fenix 6s with it, so I really like the bright screen. I do wear an AppleWatch during the day, and I wear both watches during runs and at night - have to have all those metics.
I don’t use it for music, so can’t comment on that. It does everything I need it to do. It has the workout builder in Garmin Connect that I was already used to with other Garmin Watches.
The one thing that it kind of misses on (since I just started using a Galloway plan), is that you can’t use the watch for run/walk interval alerts if you are using a ‘workout’. You could set up your workout to include the intervals, but then you don’t get the average pace for the entire mile or longer section of the workout. In a standard run, which is what I use for races, you can use the run/walk intervals on the watch.

ATTQOTD:

I've gotten so that the only time I listen to music on runs is when it's a speed day so that absolutely impacted my answer here. It also highlighted that I clearly have not listened to any new music in years.

1) Lose Yourself - Eminem
2) You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC
3) Peter Piper - Run DMC
4) Basket Case - Green Day
5) Hard to Handle - Black Crowes

ATTQOTD: I tend to just put on a Spotify or Pandora music station. I am too lazy to create my own playlists. These are the last five songs I liked on Spotify.

1. Wildflowers and Wild Horses - Lainey Wilson
2. Smoke & a light - Ole 60
3. Houdini - Dua Lipa
4. Daylight - David Kushner
5. Agora Hills - Doja Cat

ATTQOTD:

I don't listen to music on runs often anymore, so this is a little bit of an old list. Not a top 5, just 5 I can think of:
Florence + The Machine: The Dog Days are Over
Sparks: Angst in My Pants
Hall & Oates: You Make My Dreams Come True
Madonna: Die Another Day
Beastie Boys: Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun

The one thing that it kind of misses on (since I just started using a Galloway plan), is that you can’t use the watch for run/walk interval alerts if you are using a ‘workout’. You could set up your workout to include the intervals, but then you don’t get the average pace for the entire mile or longer section of the workout. In a standard run, which is what I use for races, you can use the run/walk intervals on the watch.
That annoys me so much. I wish it would let you use your run/walk alerts along with whatever workout you're doing.

Garmin issues: coincidentally I started spiraling last night when I decided to look at my garmin's stamina scores and saw that I only had 25% stamina left after running 16 miles, 50% after running 9 miles etc - I need to run a marathon in less than a week! 😫 I don't usually look at these types of metrics (body battery etc) but I saw a post saying garmin's stamina was pretty on the dot and now I'm freaking out.

ATTQOTD: I listen to podcasts on runs and save songs for race day. I haven't updated them in over 5 years. 😳 Off the top of my head I have Skrillex Bangarang, Jay Z On to the Next One, and Bruno Mars Uptown Funk.

I love my Apple Watch 7 but have thought about going to a more dedicated platform as I try to improve my speed (also battery should I go for an ultra) so I like to study all the responses to this discussion. I haven’t really decided yet but for what it’s worth this past MW I was talking to the Galloway pacers I was running with and both of them switched from Garmin to Coros and said they won’t go back, so I’d really like to hear from others on this as well.

ATTQOTD: I pretty much only listen to music when I'm racing, usually whenever it starts to get hard. Some favorites:

1. Ugly Heart by GRL
2. Better When I'm Dancing by Meghan Trainor
3. Ghost by Ella Henderson
4. Immortals by Fall Out Boy
5. I'm Gonna Be by The Proclaimers

My playlists also include a bunch of Disney songs, but I figure you've probably got that covered 😂

QOTD:
I love running to music, especially if the tempo matches my pace. So I'll share my top 5 favorite running songs and you'll know exactly how slow I run. :)

1. Pump It - Black Eyed Peas
2. Hey Ya! - Outkast
3. Almost There - Anika Noni Rose (Princess and the Frog)
4. Touch of Grey - Grateful Dead
5. Sing - Pentatonix

They're slower songs, but you could also add "A Thousand Miles" by Vanessa Carlton and "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter