The Running Thread--2024

Anyone have any good 6 week plans they've done?

I don't have a plan that I have done, but I think it's doable, assuming you just want to run to finish. You have experience with the distance, so it's not a totally new goal. Are you currently injury free? 15-18 miles is not a bad base. How often are you running? Not sure what you're longest current weekly run is, but if it's in the 5-6 mile range, then you could increase it 1-2/week for several weeks to get to 10ish miles. I would also keep the plan fairly simple and focus on the long run.

There are 6 week plans out there. You could take one and simplify it (e.g. drop some of the hill or speed training). Here's one to consider--again, I would look to simplify.

https://www.shape.com/6-week-half-marathon-training-plan-7100816

Or you could take a longer plan and just do a portion of it. Higdon has 12 week Novice plans that you could adapt since you already have a base that is in the ballpark of mid-plan mileage.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/03/...e_code=1.iU0.zVF2.oD3MTjRSsx6Y&smid=url-share

The BAA added the Bank of America logo to the marathon medal. As a proud owner of two of them (unblemished) I feel a little PO'ed. (John Hancock, the previous recent sponsor, got the full ribbon)
I have the Boston Marathon documentary and in it they said this was the fear of many runners when the BAA partnered with a corporate sponsor. John Hancock made sure they didn’t interfere with the medal design.

I don't have a plan that I have done, but I think it's doable, assuming you just want to run to finish. You have experience with the distance, so it's not a totally new goal. Are you currently injury free? 15-18 miles is not a bad base. How often are you running? Not sure what you're longest current weekly run is, but if it's in the 5-6 mile range, then you could increase it 1-2/week for several weeks to get to 10ish miles. I would also keep the plan fairly simple and focus on the long run.
I am not injury-free but it's manageable for now. My LR's fall right into that 5-6 range. I know I can finish I'm just not looking forward to going slower than I'm used to. Thanks for sharing that plan. I'm going to take that and use it as a guide and write out my next few weeks. I'm so used to DopeyBadger plans you'd think I'd be able to string together my own based off of my experience with that but I am incapable of doing it on my own apparently 😆

Does the old saying about “red sky at morning, sailors take warning” also apply to runners?? As I sit in a parking lot while fat raindrops fall on my car 😄😄

I have a poncho in my bag, but I’d prefer the rain just stop
IMG_7297.jpeg

Only if you're running on water! As long as you stay on land, you should be okay.

Nah, that's probably just for sailors! I hope the rain stops and you have a great run!

Only if you're running on water! As long as you stay on land, you should be okay.
It was mostly dry for most of the race. But Mile 10 was awful!!! The rain started and we got back on campus so the big buildings created wind tunnels

Update from the last few days. Friday was better, I was able to walk the dog a few times. I actually hit my 12k steps on Friday but i was hoping for less as I tend to do too much too soon, Saturday was another walking day. I did less steps though only 9k, but had a lot of errands to get done. One of which was visit mom. Managed to walk good enough that she did not ask about the knee. Sunday I went to the gym. Did my lifting including legs, but way modified. I finished up with 20 minutes on the recumbent bike easy. I think that helped a lot to loosen up that knee. I see PT tomorrow. Not expecting to run till May but glad I am able to walk the dog again.

Ran a local 5k this morning and placed first in my group! 🏅

Full disclosure- I was the only one in my age group :rotfl2:but hey, a win is win right?! That is surely the first and last time I ever win an age group award. I was happy with my time considering I haven’t run much in February and March but it was seriously embarrassing for a first place win.

Must start doing some speed work!

Cherry Blossom 10 miler recap

This is going to be the worse recap, because I mostly zoned out. The weather was perfect today, or as Creigh Kelley kept referring to it “no excuse weather”. It was 46F, sunny, with barely any wind.
As a habitual first RunDisney bus runner, we made sure to leave our hotel with plenty of time to get to the starting area. We walked/jogged over, then made a stop at the porta potties before heading out to the corrals.
Less than ten minutes before the race is supposed to start, I get a call from my mom, who’s at the hotel with my boys. In the background I can hear my 4 hear old, coughing and wheezing pretty bad, which happens sometimes. I explained to my mom how to use his puffer, and tried not to feel too guilty that I couldn’t help him. Right before the start, I got a text that he was feeling better, but they were going to stay at the hotel instead of coming to the finish line like we had planned.
While this was happening, I joined the 9min/mile pacers, which were at the front of my corral. I kept pace with them until around mile 4, when I realized that we were getting further and further behind where we should be (33 seconds behind at this point). I made the decision to just pull ahead and run my own race. I have mixed feeling on the pacers. They weaved in and out of people, without seeming to care about other racers. At one point, one of the pacers tripped someone else over by weaving, and barely looked back to check and make sure she was ok.
After leaving the pacers, I was running between 8:50 and 9 min/miles. I was feeling great the whole time. As I started approaching mile 7, I did mental math to figure out where I should be, which should’ve been pretty simple math - 9x7. Except for whatever reason, in my mind, that was 72. Which meant as I passed the marker, and looked down and saw 1:x3:23, I got worried and sped up. I spent most of the next mile running a bit faster and trying to figure out how I got so far behind, until I finally figured out that I screwed up the math. With that, I was actually ahead of my goal at mile 8. The last km was amazing with crowd support. I sped up quite a bit at that point, and ended up finishing in 1:28:56, 2:03 under my goal of 1:30:59 for a corral A placement at wine and dine.
Overall, while I enjoyed the race, I found the course relatively crowded the whole time, since there were no wide stretches of highway to spread everyone out. I got caught behind people quite a few times, with no safe way to pass. I also found the race etiquette particularly bad. Lots of people weaving in and out without caring about other around them, people squeezing in gaps that were too small, a few people were tripped up, and at one point, someone just kept pushing into me to run the tangent. As much as I enjoyed the race, I’m not sure if I’d come back anytime soon.
I got a 5km and 10km PR during the race, and managed to run negative splits.
1712535199615.jpeg

Update from the last few days. Friday was better, I was able to walk the dog a few times. I actually hit my 12k steps on Friday but i was hoping for less as I tend to do too much too soon, Saturday was another walking day. I did less steps though only 9k, but had a lot of errands to get done. One of which was visit mom. Managed to walk good enough that she did not ask about the knee. Sunday I went to the gym. Did my lifting including legs, but way modified. I finished up with 20 minutes on the recumbent bike easy. I think that helped a lot to loosen up that knee. I see PT tomorrow. Not expecting to run till May but glad I am able to walk the dog again.
Glad your recovery is going well so far!

I am not injury-free but it's manageable for now. My LR's fall right into that 5-6 range. I know I can finish I'm just not looking forward to going slower than I'm used to. Thanks for sharing that plan. I'm going to take that and use it as a guide and write out my next few weeks. I'm so used to DopeyBadger plans you'd think I'd be able to string together my own based off of my experience with that but I am incapable of doing it on my own apparently 😆
You're a very strong runner (having the luck of getting to run with you), I know you can do it! 💪

@accm - Congrats! I have friends in DC and really need to try to do Cherry Blossom one year. I'm always in the later RunDisney corrals so I'm used to crowding. :P

Course St-Laurent 10k race report

I am old and grumpy but that works.

This season’s goal was to work on my speed and improve my 10k time, hopefully below my unofficial sub-50.

I registered to two races, six weeks apart. On February 25th, at the beginning of the plan, I set the baseline at 52:59, an official PR for me. And my first race in the 50-59 category *sigh*

For many reasons (family, work, knee) I had good training days and some when speed was out of the question.

I was so not enthusiastic going into this race. My preparation the night before was make a wash so I have a choice of clothes tomorrow. I didn’t sleep well but it had nothing to do with the event. April 7th was a gorgeous sunny day, I was going to run anyway so I laced my new to racing ASICS Novablast and I went.

The closed course was two out and back in an almost industrial setting. 25 minutes drive from my house, big parking, easy bib pickup, real bathrooms, warm-up, drop a layer in my car, take your marks and go!

I hang around people who seem to have a steady pace that I find comfortable and concentrate on my form, focus and breathing. I have no precise objective or race plan but I do not want to find it hard and hate it. At 1km, I look at my phone and decide that it messes up with my head. I leave it in my pocket and decide to keep running by feel. I push a bit in the last few hundred meters.

I am curiously as detached from the results (50:41) as I was for the entire race except for one thing: I really improved in those last six weeks despite sub-optimal training because my 10k time is better and this race felt much easier than the last.

Two lessons: I do better when I don’t put myself a stringent race plan or objective (so it’s ok to be grumpy). More responsive shoes do help, at least the morale.

As for being old, it does have its advantages. One of which is finishing third in my age category and getting a bronze medal.

I am old and grumpy and I am embracing it for today, because it worked.

IMG_5493.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter