The Running Thread--2024

March 2024 Running Total: 18.9 miles (1.4 outdoors, the rest treadmill)

This was my highest mileage in over a year. April is going to be a down month because of scheduling but my goal for May is 20 miles/at least 3mi outdoors. Slowly but surely, I'm coming back.

March 2024
41 miles, all before March 18

I had knee pain that didn't go away even after a week after going easy. I visited a sports doctor and he diagnosed it as mild runner's knee. I can walk a little, but no running until the second week of April. In the meantime I'm trying to stick to some core exercises he gave me, but that's not as fun as running.

Hoping for a glorious comeback in April!

March Totals:

Distance: 92.22mi
Time: 16:23:08
Avg Pace: 10:40

So close to 100 miles! I have the Cherry Blossom 10 miler in a week. Trying to finish in under 1:31, to get a corral A POT for Wine and Dine. This will be my first time running a race for time, so any advice would be highly appreciated. The weather is looking really good for the race. 40F at the start, going up to 45F around when I expect to be finishing.

This will be my first time running a race for time, so any advice would be highly appreciated.

Steady as she goes. Don't go out too fast--it's so easy to feel good and fast the first bit, but resist. Don't give in to the "If I go faster now, I'll build a buffer" mindset. Consider doing a little warmup before the race starts to get the engine warm. Doesn't have to be far/fast, but a few minute jog and a few dynamic stretches could be helpful. Don't forget your fueling--don't know how you have been preparing before your long runs. I typically would eat 2-3 hours before the race and then a gel 20-30 minutes before the race start. YMMV.

Good luck!

@accm in addition to the great advice from @jmasgat, I'd add making your target pace on your watch slightly faster than the 9:06/mile you’re after. This will help account for the extra distance you’ll end up running by not being able to run the tangents, dodging around people, etc. Using 9 min/mile should give you enough of a cushion to get the time you want.

@accm in addition to the great advice from @jmasgat, I'd add making your target pace on your watch slightly faster than the 9:06/mile you’re after. This will help account for the extra distance you’ll end up running by not being able to run the tangents, dodging around people, etc. Using 9 min/mile should give you enough of a cushion to get the time you want.
I was also thinking of writing mile splits on my arm so I can see how I'm doing as I pass each mile marker.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to utilize/setup my Garmin

March Totals (vs Feb)
172 miles (vs 168)
31hr 21min (vs 34hr 4min)
26/31 days (vs 29/29)

Solid month, with a few missed days here and there due to either travel or the need for rest.

Excited for my HM in April, as a new PR is in my sights!

I was also thinking of writing mile splits on my arm so I can see how I'm doing as I pass each mile marker.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to utilize/setup my Garmin
You've already gotten great advice on this. I used to write splits on my hand. :)

Specifically for the Cherry Blossom race: it's really, really crowded for the first few miles. You'll have to be a little slow in order to navigate the crowd. Don't panic about it. It's probably better to be a bit slow in the first couple miles rather than try to pinball back and forth around all the groups and use a lot of energy and adrenaline. All that adrenaline will help you pick up the pace once the crowd thins.

If you're able, I'd suggest carrying your own water (vest or bottle) so that you don't have to navigate the hydration table and crowds. But if that idea freaks you out at this late date, don't worry about it. :)

Good luck! It's a fun race.

March 2024: Activities: 16 Distance: 57.41 mi Time: 11:44:48
Not much has changed from February to March, and honestly I expect to do most of the same in April...1-2 easy runs of 35 minutes per week, plus 1-2 workout runs of 50 minutes....and one run that was 15k for the Garmin badge.

Next month some of my running will be on the Disney Magic in the middle of the Caribbean Sea!!! Wooohoo!
In April I will also find out if I'm able to register for WDW Marathon Weekend and if all of this counts as low-key training, or just for general fitness....?!?!?

March has been a break and maintenance. I moved and started a new job in February, which is full time in the office. It’s been an adjustment for sure since I haven’t been in the office full time since right before COVID. Now that my schedule has settled I can get back to training. I don’t have anything on my calendar though. Having something would make training easier.

I did get my Princess bib for Kelsie’s Hope, so there’s that.

March:
126.3km / just under 76 miles
14h 32m

Good month (actually highest mileage month in over a year) and on track for my half in May. April will be tough with travel and I likely won’t hit the same mileage but I’d factored that into my training plan. Keeping that Dopey POT in my sights (though registering will be the first real hurdle)

March Totals

Running

Runs: 25
Miles: 214.27
Time: 29:43:08
Avg Pace: 8:19

YTD Miles: 489.27
Last 12 months miles: 2,018.90

I was on pace to set a record for my most miles in a month (currently 224.91), but I tested positive for COVID on Saturday morning and missed my last two runs scheduled for March. Feeling pretty normal today and hoping to get back out there for some miles tomorrow!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter