The Running Thread--2024

Thanks for the intel @jmasgat -- the email did have a lot of NEW COURSE graphics so I'm not sure the site has the new course or the old one. Either way, all new to me! I also see they have a Women's 10K in October sponsored by REI which is super tempting. It would work well into Dopey training as well, so I'm pretty sure I'll sign up for that. Just a matter of whether it is instead of or in addition to!

Thanks for the intel @jmasgat -- the email did have a lot of NEW COURSE graphics so I'm not sure the site has the new course or the old one. Either way, all new to me! I also see they have a Women's 10K in October sponsored by REI which is super tempting. It would work well into Dopey training as well, so I'm pretty sure I'll sign up for that. Just a matter of whether it is instead of or in addition to!
Yeah ...just saw the email. So disregard my post! Although still starts and finishes at the Common. It would be nice if they incorporated the Esplanade--certainly more scenic to see the Charles (and my old grad school across the way)

The 10k for women course (as it seems to have been) would be more fun--across the Mass Ave bridge--site of Black Panther: Wakanda Forever fight scene (and exactly 364.4 Smoots and an ear long.) A little bit of Mem Drive and back into Boston.

Last edited:
Not done it, but looking at the course, it's okay. It's an out and back up Comm Ave. The first mile-ish (til you get to Mass Ave) is residential/boulevard and nice (I used to live on Comm Ave when I was a grad student and my sister spent recklessly!) The rest of Comm Ave up to BU is very commercial/urban. You will be on about 1/2 mile of the marathon course (from Kenmore Sq to Hereford) on the way back. It does not go down Boylston St/cross the marathon finish line, unlike the 5k (which I am running in next month).

If my plan to move back to Boston this year works, I expect I will sign up for the Challenge next year (5k/10k/half in November). This year, I just did the 5k since I'm volunteering at the Marathon.

@xjillianpaige Have you done this one?
@The Expert

I have done this one! I've done it twice and it is, to quote my friend Kristin, "a suckfest."

The weather is really hot and it starts relatively late for a summer race. The course was exactly as @jmasgat described the two times I ran it (a.k.a. straight uphill and horrible) but it looks like the course is changing this year and might be flatter? And if it's flatter then I might un-retire from this race, but I'll save it for when I run the medley in 2025 since 2024 is strictly the marathon for me.

@The Expert

I have done this one! I've done it twice and it is, to quote my friend Kristin, "a suckfest."

The weather is really hot and it starts relatively late for a summer race. The course was exactly as @jmasgat described the two times I ran it (a.k.a. straight uphill and horrible) but it looks like the course is changing this year and might be flatter? And if it's flatter then I might un-retire from this race, but I'll save it for when I run the medley in 2025 since 2024 is strictly the marathon for me.
Thank you! I think I'll just wait for the fall one then.

Former Bostonian here. a part of me really does want to do the BAA 10K, and then I remember how hot and humid late June is. Why do they start the race so late? My cousin has said she wishes all races started as early as Disney, and I'm starting to agree. At least get it done before the sun has a chance to bake us.

Does anybody have experience with no-tie shoelaces (Caterpy or similar)?

I've seen a bunch of ads for them, and they seem interesting, but I don't know if they're too lose, too tight, etc.

Any recommendations, for or against?

I use Lock Laces in all my running shoes and I love them. They are currently $9 on Amazon, not a bad expense to give them a test ride.
I like the fact that I can cinch them down before a run with a quick tug at the top, or I can loosen them up in various spots along the top of my foot and leave them completely loose if the shoes have transitioned to "walking around shoes".

They also are reusable for when the walking around shoes have crossed the rainbow bridge and it's time to throw them out. I just open up the holding tab at the end, pull them free and install on a new pair.

I think I need new running shoes. I got fitted for Brooks Glycerins last year and they felt great. When Amazon had them on sale in December I bought a pair since my first ones were close to a year old at that point. Now when I wear the new shoes, my hip flexors feel tired and almost strained. It’s happened three times now, every time with the new Glycerins. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I think I need new running shoes. I got fitted for Brooks Glycerins last year and they felt great. When Amazon had them on sale in December I bought a pair since my first ones were close to a year old at that point. Now when I wear the new shoes, my hip flexors feel tired and almost strained. It’s happened three times now, every time with the new Glycerins. 🤷🏻‍♀️
did you get a newer version? I'm on my 3rd version of my preferred shoe, and they've all been different (which gives me anxiety every year.)

But if that's the only common factor for your issues, get some different shoes.

did you get a newer version? I'm on my 3rd version of my preferred shoe, and they've all been different (which gives me anxiety every year.)

But if that's the only common factor for your issues, get some different shoes.
No they're both Glycerin 20s. I haven't had this issue with my Brooks Launches or Saucony shoes. Which is why I'm thinking I need a different pair for my slower runs.

It would be nice if they incorporated the Esplanade--certainly more scenic to see the Charles (and my old grad school across the way)
Where did you go to school? I was in the Boston area 1996 - 2004. Undergrad at MIT and grad at BU. (I didn't run when I lived there.)

New shoe report: Saucony Endorphin Pro 4

I’ll try to keep it short, if you like the endorphin speeds and are thinking about spending the extra I say yes.
My local fleet feet didn’t have any in yet but they were available online and I had some rewards about to expire so…
IMG_1960.jpeg
FedEx dropped them yesterday and they got 5.1 miles (my usual loop) this AM

Currently although I am a huge Mizuno fan, my race shoes are Speed 3s and I had the originals and version 2 prior to these. The nylon plate in the speed 3 doesn’t really feel like anything compared to the older versions. I’ve always stayed away from the pro because it had no heel support and seemed unstable. That changed with the pro 3 but I waited too long for prices to drop and never got to try them, so I have been stalking reviews and releases for a while.
How did they fit and feel? Got my usual size and the fit to me was exactly the same as my Speed 3 though it felt looser (I think because of a very minimal upper and stretchy tongue) and the heel lock was amazing. I’m usually not a fan of the cloth loop eyelet lacing but these feel great. The level of cushion seems like it should be a recovery shoe instead of a racing shoe 😀👍
How was the run? A personal best for me on a five mile run with the closest being over two years ago in my speed 2s
IMG_1959.jpeg
Usually races are run walk run for me and this was a continuous 5 mile run. Started out fast then slowed and then found I could pick up the pace, they literally want to run fast. Post run was the usual sore and tired legs but no foot pain at all, actually the opposite, it felt like I was walking on marshmallows.
Will this be the miracle shoe that gets me to Boston, I doubt that, still need to work more but for anyone wondering about the upgrade from the speed to the pro I think it’s worth a try.

Last edited:
Where did you go to school? I was in the Boston area 1996 - 2004. Undergrad at MIT and grad at BU. (I didn't run when I lived there.)
go terriers!

Undergrad BU here and Simmons grad school. Grandpa went to MIT in the 1950s when tuition was $900/year.

Never ran in college either. Maybe once and gave up after a mile.

Undergrad at Tufts/Masters at MIT....1980/1982. And I didn't run til I was 49, so no Boston running for me then.

OH BOY, SHOE TALK?! I am so in!!!!! :banana:

Never in my many decades of running shoe purchasing have I had a shoe that was unusable for anything - until the Glycerin 20. I’m talking, I can’t run in it, walk in it, stand in it, or even sit in it without extreme pain! Pain in my feet, knees, hips, back. I happily ran through 7 previous iterations of Glycerins and cannot understand what about the 20 is so bad, but they’re BAD for me, too!

~

QUESTION for all: anyone here run in the ASICS Cumulus 24 or 25?? I’m still really liking my Dynablasts for short runs… but I also really like them for non-running and I could use a pair own the road with a little more cushion for longer mileage. ASICS in general fit my feet well, and I don’t want the massive stack or squish of the Nimbus, so I’m thinking the Cumulus might be worth a look?

OH BOY, SHOE TALK?! I am so in!!!!! :banana:

Never in my many decades of running shoe purchasing have I had a shoe that was unusable for anything - until the Glycerin 20. I’m talking, I can’t run in it, walk in it, stand in it, or even sit in it without extreme pain! Pain in my feet, knees, hips, back. I happily ran through 7 previous iterations of Glycerins and cannot understand what about the 20 is so bad, but they’re BAD for me, too!

~

QUESTION for all: anyone here run in the ASICS Cumulus 24 or 25?? I’m still really liking my Dynablasts for short runs… but I also really like them for non-running and I could use a pair own the road with a little more cushion for longer mileage. ASICS in general fit my feet well, and I don’t want the massive stack or squish of the Nimbus, so I’m thinking the Cumulus might be worth a look?
I used to love running in Glycerins. I used them from the 5s up though the 13s. When they hit 14, they started to get too cushioned for me and when they went to the 15s it was so bad that it started causing me posterior tibialis issues. I transitioned to Ghosts at that point an all was right in the world again. I'm worried, though, that they keep making the Ghost more and more cushioned each year, too, so it may just be a matter of time before history repeats itself.

Funny how everyone can be so different. I have tried no less than four versions of the Ghosts and each one just plain hurt my feet. Asics don’t fit me, most others actually don’t either. Only Mizuno and Saucony, the former keeps changing things for the worse but the latter keeps getting better so hopefully I can always find a good one. If this is what most of us hear what seems like most of the time, why do companies keep adding major changes to a line instead of coming out with a new one.

Last edited:
Oh boy, Glycerin talk? I've mentioned my issues when I bought my second pair but since then I've been going with Hoka Cliftons and it's been totally great, on my third pair. Really frustrating because I would have liked to stick with Brooks, they were my first marathon shoe.

I haven’t ran in Cumulus but I have read that, for women shoes, the heel-toe difference has gone from 14mm to 8mm when the Nimbus went from 24 to 25. The conclusion was that the Cumulus might be a better fit for many now.

I used to love running in Glycerins. I used them from the 5s up though the 13s. When they hit 14, they started to get too cushioned for me and when they went to the 15s it was so bad that it started causing me posterior tibialis issues. I transitioned to Ghosts at that point an all was right in the world again. I'm worried, though, that they keep making the Ghost more and more cushioned each year, too, so it may just be a matter of time before history repeats itself.
Across the board, stack heights just keep increasing and I’ll readily admit that I HATE it! I’m small and light: all that cushion is a waste for me because I can’t get enough out of it. And I want some ground feel! Basically I’m old and I want old-school running shoes, and it’s getting really hard to find that.
I haven’t ran in Cumulus but I have read that, for women shoes, the heel-toe difference has gone from 14mm to 8mm when the Nimbus went from 24 to 25. The conclusion was that the Cumulus might be a better fit for many now.
Oh my, that’s good to know - thanks! 14mm would be a deal breaker, but 8 is my sweet spot. I did try the Nimbus 25 and it was waaaay too much stack for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter