The Running Thread--2024

I’m going to attempt to give my first race report for the Publix A1A Fort Lauderdale Half Marathon later on, but I wanted to give a brief summary initially. I don’t know how they screwed this up so badly, but this was a 13.43 mile half marathon! Initially, I thought that it was my Apple Watch giving me a bad reading, but I was talking to other runners after the race who wore Garmins and they had the same mileage. According to my Apple Watch, I would have finished a 13.1 half marathon in 1:49:56, but my chip time was 1:52:23. There‘s nothing like absolutely unnecessary stress after running 13 miles. If they could get the distance right in the future, I would absolutely recommend this course. You run along the beach with the sun rising over the ocean after running past the cruise ships docked at Port Everglades.

Unfortunately, I didn’t see a PR bell. I was quite excited to ring one as the last half marathon that I raced (runDisney doesn’t count) was 2:08:52 in April 2022.

Place Overall: 490/3354
Place Male: 367/1729
Place Male Masters (I really hate that term!): 185/1000
Place M50-54: 40/207
Congrats on the PR! I feel like there's never a bell around when you actually want one 😝

I think that's a pretty reasonable distance to get from your watch for a HM, though - it's basically impossible to run the tangents perfectly in a crowd. Doesn't mean they measured the race wrong!

I’m going to attempt to give my first race report for the Publix A1A Fort Lauderdale Half Marathon later on, but I wanted to give a brief summary initially. I don’t know how they screwed this up so badly, but this was a 13.43 mile half marathon! Initially, I thought that it was my Apple Watch giving me a bad reading, but I was talking to other runners after the race who wore Garmins and they had the same mileage. According to my Apple Watch, I would have finished a 13.1 half marathon in 1:49:56, but my chip time was 1:52:23. There‘s nothing like absolutely unnecessary stress after running 13 miles. If they could get the distance right in the future, I would absolutely recommend this course. You run along the beach with the sun rising over the ocean after running past the cruise ships docked at Port Everglades.

Unfortunately, I didn’t see a PR bell. I was quite excited to ring one as the last half marathon that I raced (runDisney doesn’t count) was 2:08:52 in April 2022.

That’s shorter than my DL Half, my watch measured me at 13.67 (my longest running activity ever) and that’s actually slightly short because I forgot to unpause for a minute after I stopped for the Anaheim Ducks mascot

“Hypothetically”… :rotfl:

Say the last half-dozen or so running shoes you’ve tried have all fallen short of just-right. At best, one is tolerable, and at worst one is truly unwearable as even a sit-stand in place all day at work shoe, with the others falling somewhere in the middle of that spectrum. All of your favorite running shoes for both actual running and non-running use are worn out and retired.

You take a chance on ordering two new shoes to try, both total departures from what you’ve tried so far, both in colorways that delight you, and both VERY much discounted - as in $60 each. You have no expectations at all… and are shocked to see you find BOTH to be good! Like, really good! Better than anything else you’ve tried over the past year!

You do not actually need two new shoes… but you totally keep them both, right? RIGHT??? :rotfl2:

(In case anyone’s wondering, I’m talking about the Saucony Kinvara 14 and ASICS Dynablast 3. Two shoes with some of the most lackluster reviews I’ve ever seen, which is why they weren’t even on my radar all year. I really need to commit to memory the fact that almost every one of my most favorite shoes was near-universally despised by the expert reviewers in their time.)

@PrincessV I would definitely keep both (and I am also a bargain hunter). First, you essentially got 2 pairs for the price of 1, which is nice. But more importantly, you get 2 pairs to do a long term run test on. If you are searching for something that works--and you are able to figure out what makes one shoe work for you vs not work--then this will help you home in on winner shoe(s).

You do not actually need two new shoes… but you totally keep them both, right? RIGHT??? :rotfl2:

I just bought two pairs of shoes when they were on sale! Keep them! Especially when it's been such a hassle to find pairs you like.

I've only ever run in Nike Pegasus series shoes. I blindly bought the pair the guy at the Nike store recommended, and have liked them well enough that I think these are my 6th and 7th pair. Maybe I'm missing out, and another shoe would totally change my life, but I don't know any better, and these seem just fine!

They're normally $140, but between the Nike Outlet in town and the occasional online clearance sale, I'll snatch up any pair for $60. Sometimes that means I end up with weird pairs, including my newest addition that celebrates the Paris Saint-Germaine football club. But they're pretty!

At my current rate (40-45 miles/week) I probably need a new pair every few months. I probably keep shoes too long -- my two most recent pairs have completely worn through the tread on the outside edges of the heels -- so it's nice to have a replacement pair on-hand.

Sometimes that means I end up with weird pairs, including my newest addition that celebrates the Paris Saint-Germaine football club. But they're pretty!
ICI, C’EST PARIS!!! They are gorgeous - well done!
100% YES! And, if you run in them for a couple of weeks and decide that they are as good as you think they are, you scour the Internet for other deals and buy as many pairs as you can find. Or maybe that just me? :rotfl2:
That used to be me, but my mileage is so low now it‘s not really worth it. IF the shoes in question can be found in a colorway I’d like for non-running wear, though, all bets are off lol!

Say the last half-dozen or so running shoes you’ve tried have all fallen short of just-right. At best, one is tolerable, and at worst one is truly unwearable as even a sit-stand in place all day at work shoe, with the others falling somewhere in the middle of that spectrum. All of your favorite running shoes for both actual running and non-running use are worn out and retired.

You take a chance on ordering two new shoes to try, both total departures from what you’ve tried so far, both in colorways that delight you, and both VERY much discounted - as in $60 each. You have no expectations at all… and are shocked to see you find BOTH to be good! Like, really good! Better than anything else you’ve tried over the past year!

(In case anyone’s wondering, I’m talking about the Saucony Kinvara 14 and ASICS Dynablast 3. Two shoes with some of the most lackluster reviews I’ve ever seen, which is why they weren’t even on my radar all year. I really need to commit to memory the fact that almost every one of my most favorite shoes was near-universally despised by the expert reviewers in their time.)
Wait, is this even a real question?! 😄😄 Of course you keep them both!!

That used to be me, but my mileage is so low now it‘s not really worth it. IF the shoes in question can be found in a colorway I’d like for non-running wear, though, all bets are off lol!

It's not like running shoes have an expiration date - at least that's the argument that I tell myself. But then again, I have "princess feet" and hate trying to find new shoes. I swear that the sale people run into the back room when I come in to the store because I'm that customer. They are too tight, too loose, too heavy, rub in just the wrong place, etc.

It's not like running shoes have an expiration date - at least that's the argument that I tell myself. But then again, I have "princess feet" and hate trying to find new shoes. I swear that the sale people run into the back room when I come in to the store because I'm that customer. They are too tight, too loose, too heavy, rub in just the wrong place, etc.
Same - I’m ridiculously picky about shoe feel! I’ve found that mine really don’t feel as good after sitting for more than a year - I strongly suspect the FL heat and humidity are involved, as I’ve had the soles of street shoes become unglued after a few years in a closet! I keep stockpiled running shoes in a location with the least amount of indoor weather swings, but I can definitely feel a difference if they’ve been sitting too long.

Did you compare the course to the USATF certification to confirm (2023 certification), or were their other outside sources that showed you didn't actually run the course as described on their website (like statement from the race director or newspaper articles)? Otherwise, I'd need to see more than just GPS watches measuring long. That's incredibly common, and not a race problem.

That's not to say courses can't be wrong. I've personally run two different races where the certified course/advertised course was not actually what I ran on race day for the "official" course and they were known to be actually wrong post-race. One was a wrongly placed cone that cutoff part of the course, and the other was hooligans moving cones that changed the course.

Has anyone done Abbott/Global Run Club's virtual races in an effort to get extra lottery entries for the world majors? Trying to figure out how it works logistically, but also, is it worth $45 for an extra 3% chance to get into London? 🤔

Did you compare the course to the USATF certification to confirm (2023 certification), or were their other outside sources that showed you didn't actually run the course as described on their website (like statement from the race director or newspaper articles)? Otherwise, I'd need to see more than just GPS watches measuring long. That's incredibly common, and not a race problem.

That's not to say courses can't be wrong. I've personally run two different races where the certified course/advertised course was not actually what I ran on race day for the "official" course and they were known to be actually wrong post-race. One was a wrongly placed cone that cutoff part of the course, and the other was hooligans moving cones that changed the course.

There’s been chatter amongst the local running groups in my area. All the races were long - 6K, half, marathon and I think there was another short race. The marathon course was poorly marked and there were very few mile markers.

As someone who has yet to find really good shoes that I love, I’d say yes, you totally keep both.

For those that follow Jar Oxandspoon and his band, they have a great new song about running etiquette on their YouTube channel. Funny as always, I love following the Slackers on their social media during runDisney weekends.

I could use some reminders that missing a handful of scheduled runs isn’t going to derail an entire 18 weeks of training! I am in my last week of training for the LA marathon before I start tapering and I have missed or significantly shortened every single scheduled run since Saturday because of a bad cold. I thought I was better today and had a speed workout planned but just didn’t have it in me to do it. I still have one more 20 miler planned for Sunday and expect to be better enough to at least finish it. This will be my 6th marathon and the nerves still get to me every time!

I could use some reminders that missing a handful of scheduled runs isn’t going to derail an entire 18 weeks of training! I am in my last week of training for the LA marathon before I start tapering and I have missed or significantly shortened every single scheduled run since Saturday because of a bad cold. I thought I was better today and had a speed workout planned but just didn’t have it in me to do it. I still have one more 20 miler planned for Sunday and expect to be better enough to at least finish it. This will be my 6th marathon and the nerves still get to me every time!
I missed most of my runs between Christmas and Disneyland and still had my fastest runDisney weekend ever

Missing a handful of scheduled runs isn't going to detail an entire 18 weeks of training! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter