The Running Thread--2024

I have a pair of convertible mitts--think of a fingerless glove with an overmitt--that I definitely drag out if the temp is really cold. Mittens keep your hands warmer, and with these, if your hand gets too warm, you can fold the overmitt back and are left with the glove part.
These are what I wear out in the field for cold weather wildlife photography in Wyoming/Montana/Vermont. If it's especially cold, I'll layer a thinner glove or glove liner underneath.

To the guys who run where it gets cold - what do you wear to run? Bonus points if its available for purchase in Canada. My husband's been looking for cold weather running gear, but hasn't been able to really find much.
My coldest runs have been in the single-digits Farenheit (like minus-14C). I really don't do anything fancy, though, just layer a bit. I do a lot better in cold than in heat!

Whenever it's below freezing, I wear running tights underneath running pants, a cotton t-shirt under a long-sleeve running shirt (just one of the freebies from rD Marathon weekends), and a cheapo hat and gloves.

I did 2.5 hours in 12-degree weather (-11C) wearing that. It was great, except my face got so cold that my speech was slurred from how frozen my cheeks were. 🥶🥶

What do you do for shirts?
Nothing fancy - like some others I tend to layer depending on temp. Usually a short sleeve running shirt with a long sleeve runDisney shirt and a Nike running hoodie or race weekend running jacket. If it’s really cold I will throw on a polar fleece or a Patagonia nano puff jacket which I find helps with the wind. But only if it gets really cold otherwise I start overheating- especially on a long run. I think someone else mentioned the same thing but I need to be cold for the first mile. If I walk out the door and I’m already hot I’ve put on too much.

TLDR - Layers, Layers, Layers

To the guys who run where it gets cold - what do you wear to run? Bonus points if its available for purchase in Canada. My husband's been looking for cold weather running gear, but hasn't been able to really find much.
I don’t. 50 degrees F and below qualify as cold.
I just wait a few days for it to warm back up enough…
For when I do have Weather that is cold, that will not tear up my lungs, sometimes I will layer on an extra running shirt, or if it’s cold enough, I have a neoprene scuba type jacket that is great for running. Something to cover my ears and hands is a must.

Keeping in mind that running “adds” 10° to the outdoor temperature (with wind factor considered). So if it is -10°C, I dress for running as if I was going for a calm walk at 0°C. As @Baloo in MI mentioned, if it is -30°C, be sure to have a place to go if you need to stop or someone that checks on you.
The first 10 minutes, you should be bearably cold.

Quoting myself from 2019…
Going from warm -> Cold -> Really cold
Nothing -> Headband -> Running beanie + Neck warmer (can cover mouth if dangerous for lungs)
Nothing -> Thin gloves -> Gloves or mittens
Tank top -> Long sleeve tech shirt -> Polar fleece or light coat
Capris -> Long pants -> Fleeced pants with wind cutting panels
Thin short socks -> Smart Wool or ski type of socks
Running shoes -> Same running shoes with YakTrax if slippery
As for brands/store
Headband: Joe Fresh
Running beanie: Anyone that covers the ears, mine is an Asics that I won somewhere
Neck warmer: Generic polar fleece
Gloves: Joe Fresh
Gloves that converts to mittens: Decathlon
Mittens (for -20°C and below): My ski mittens
Polar fleece: Gap Athletic or Winners
Coat: DH uses his old North Face puffy jacket when it is really cold
Fleece pants with wind cutting panels: The ones made for cross-country skiing, fall biking or running, whichever are comfortable
Ski socks: Smartwool, Features Merino, Darn Though, etc.

The minute I stop, I try to remove any wet layer and wash the humidity off my skin. Otherwise, that is when I get cold.

It was great, except my face got so cold that my speech was slurred from how frozen my cheeks were.
I was going to ask how do you all prevent your cheeks or nose from freezing? I can run comfortably in pretty cold temperatures but I haven't managed very long durations this year. My cheeks freeze after too long and it hurts. I tried putting Vaseline once but it didn't really help.

I was going to ask how do you all prevent your cheeks or nose from freezing? I can run comfortably in pretty cold temperatures but I haven't managed very long durations this year. My cheeks freeze after too long and it hurts. I tried putting Vaseline once but it didn't really help.
I’ve heard that Body Glide helps, but I just suck it up and freeze a little

I don’t seem to have had that particular issue but I occasionally had to raise my neck warmer. It gets wet from my breathing but still protects. Also putting my hood on can cut some side wind.

Maybe a ski mask like this would work.
1707700979399.png

These are the best thing ever. My fingers usually warm up within the first mile, so I don’t need a full mitten for very long. This winter, since it hasn’t been particularly cold, I haven’t even been wearing anything on my hands because all of my winter gear has thumb holes so I get the same benefit without the extra layer.
You are better than me! My hands are always cold. And I can't find gloves that can keep them warm, particularly when it drops below 20 degrees Farenheit.

To the guys who run where it gets cold - what do you wear to run? Between 0C (32F) and about -10C (14F)
Layers! I start with a solid set of compression boxers (support and sweat wicking), then add a layer of tights (something with added padding in front for warmth) - both of those layers are currently Under Armour from Amazon. I pull a pair of Saucony socks overs top of the tights to keep the breeze out. Then, if it's really cold, I'll add a pair of shorts before I put on my track pants. This keeps my legs warm even down to about 15F.

For the top, it depends how cold it is. I usually have a short sleeve sweat wicking shirt (UA), then a long sleeve tee over top (either tech or cotton, depending on the temp), and then I put on a padded jacket. I like the Amazon Essentials Stretch Quilted - I have two of them in different colors. I like that it's zippered, so I can regulate temperate by unzipping. It also has two zippered pockets for storage (like when my gloves get too warm and I strip those off). It also has the thumbs holes for really cold days to pull over your wrists, but then I find it hard to see my Garmin. With all of this on, I'm usually pretty warm.

I usually just wear a thin pair of running gloves. Starting out my hands might be in my pockets off and on, but they heat up pretty fast. If it's super cold, they'll stay on the whole run, but if the sun is out and it's not windy, then they'll come off after about 30 minutes.

My ears are always an issue for me, so I also wear a thin headband. It's sort of like a pair of thin earmuffs, but it wraps around the whole head. I like it because it keeps the sweat out of my eyes and I can also regulate temperature - too hot, roll them up, too cold, roll them back down. And if it's really too warm, take them off.

Maybe a ski mask like this would work.
I tried one of these in December, but it didn't work really well for me. It kept slipping down as I ran and was uncomfortable. Instead I use a thin neck gaiter made out of something stretchy (it was a COVID purchase even though it turned out to be completely useless against the virus). I can usually pull this up over my ears, sometimes even the back of my head, but it still covers my neck. I also like this because I can tuck it down my jacket and there's no breeze blowing down there.

My last trick, not clothing related, is to use warm water when I'm mixing my sports drink. It doesn't stay warm for too long, but it's usually long enough that it's not frozen after 30 minutes. I really hate being cold all over and taking a sip of ice water. Brrrr!

You are better than me! My hands are always cold. And I can't find gloves that can keep them warm, particularly when it drops below 20 degrees Farenheit.
When it is really cold (15-20F or below and windy), I wear my snowboard mittens. They keep my hand quite toasty - too warm usually, and then I go back and forth with them off and on.

When it is really cold (15-20F or below and windy), I wear my snowboard mittens. They keep my hand quite toasty - too warm usually, and then I go back and forth with them off and on.
Do you have a brand/model that you prefer? I NEVER have a problem with my hands being too warm, regardless of which handwear I have on.

This isn't really cold-weather related, but I just wanted to say that I splurged on those 'Feetures' compression socks, and I love them. I ended up getting 7 or 8 pairs, so I can wear them ~everyday, not just while running.

They are pretty high-quality socks, with "targeted compression" on the arches of both feet. (This means that you have a left sock and a right sock in each pair, which aren't interchangeable.)

I have somewhat flat feet, and have had issues with tendonitis, so I am particularly glad to have the added support. But they're also just really very comfortable for everyday wear!

They're fairly pricey at about $18/pair, but they also have a lifetime guarantee, so if you ever manage to wear through them they should replace them for free. And they are much higher-quality than other running socks I've bought online.

Anybody else try them out? Or have any other must-have running gear?

The preceding has been an unpaid advertisement. The poster has not received any compensation for sharing his opinion. If you want to use this referral link he'll get some kind of rewards credit, but tbh he's not sure what it's for.

In addition to what was already added...Merino wool!

I have a few Merino tops I can wear without a layer underneath or a jacket down into the 20s. Smartwool and Tracksmith are the best I've tried. I have some different running tights for when it gets cold and some lined UA running pants for really cold but I rarely need them since the tights are good down to about -10.

I run really hot so any wicking hat and gloves usually works but once it gets to about 10 and below I have a pair of Arc'teryx Venta gloves I love. I haven't been cold enough to feel like I need mittens and that is in the -10 to -20 range.

In addition to what was already added...Merino wool!

I have a few Merino tops I can wear without a layer underneath or a jacket down into the 20s. Smartwool and Tracksmith are the best I've tried.

I love the Tracksmith merino wool. I ran in their long sleeve Harrier shirt this morning and it keeps you the perfect temperature. A bonus is that you can sweat in it and it does not stink. The only negative is that you have to remember not to put it through the dryer and let it air dry instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter