The Running Thread--2024

January total: 70 miles

A little less miles than I wanted, but I have successfully managed to strength train twice a week for the last 3 months - a HUGE win for me!

I'm going into this weekend's Groundhog half marathon a bit undertrained, but plan to take it easy. @Baloo in MI Good luck on Saturday!! Look for me, I'll be wearing a pink tutu and a brown Groundhog hat. :)
Good luck to you also! I have no idea what I am wearing yet but you will be able to find me by looking for the runner laying beside the course face down mumbling something about life choices!😆🤣

January

24 runs
22:43.04 total time
135.90 miles
5.66 avg miles
10:02 avg pace

Solid month for me. That is 2 good months in a row. Went to New Orleans for a week in the middle of the month. Only ran 9 miles on the treadmill at the hotel that week.

Happy that I got my long run up to 10.5 miles. Going for 12 miles this coming Sunday. Didn't lose any weight but I am sure the week in NOLA had something to do with it.

Goal for February is 150 miles.

David

What sport do you ref? Based on the time of year I'm guessing basketball?
Yes. It's my first year (DH's 2nd year...he also does football, and coaches JV baseball in the spring) and I'm really enjoying it way more than I thought I would, to be honest. We're already trying to figure out how we will juggle things next year schedule-wise as our oldest is currently our childcare for #3 and #4, and he's off to college in the fall. Will depend on if #2 plays next year (we've had a lot of issues with the coach.) It's a pretty good side-gig. I worked 2 games Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday this week, 1 game tonight (local middle and high schools), and then I'm working 6 games in a row on Saturday (middle school-age YMCA league.) Pretty sure this is my busiest week of the season, but I know I have another big one coming up later in the month.

If you have any questions about the process of getting signed up/certified let me know and I can explain at least how Michigan does it (the basics are very similar across the states.)

Yes. It's my first year (DH's 2nd year...he also does football, and coaches JV baseball in the spring) and I'm really enjoying it way more than I thought I would, to be honest. We're already trying to figure out how we will juggle things next year schedule-wise as our oldest is currently our childcare for #3 and #4, and he's off to college in the fall. Will depend on if #2 plays next year (we've had a lot of issues with the coach.) It's a pretty good side-gig. I worked 2 games Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday this week, 1 game tonight (local middle and high schools), and then I'm working 6 games in a row on Saturday (middle school-age YMCA league.) Pretty sure this is my busiest week of the season, but I know I have another big one coming up later in the month.

If you have any questions about the process of getting signed up/certified let me know and I can explain at least how Michigan does it (the basics are very similar across the states.)
It sounds like it's a great way to stay in shape and complement your running training.

I've always been interested in officiating basketball, but have never taken the leap. I do a lot of other "side-gig" work in sports (statistics and camera/graphics for both the local college and local TV station that covers high school sports) that would make it challenging to squeeze in. But I know schools/leagues are always looking for officials in all sports.

January Totals

January was going really well until Monday, when I came down with a terrible cold/illness. Body aches and extreme tiredness Monday and Tuesday, turned into raging head cold yesterday and today.

Of course, it happened just after I did a great 7-mile tempo run on Saturday and was feeling really strong. Now I need to build up again. I'll try to get a short run in tomorrow.

Running
Runs: 17
Miles: 75.52
Time: 12:51:25
Avg HR: 140
Avg Pace: 10:15

Wish this was closer to 90, but such is life!

Walking
Walks: 14
Miles: 13.54
Time: 4:28:52

Dog's happy!

Strength Training
Sessions: 15
Time: 6:56:38

Feeling good about all the strength training!

Spinning
Classes: 1
Time: 56:10

This is the first spinning class I've done in probably 12 years. It went well, but then I got sick and haven't gone back. Hoping to add maybe one/week into my routine. I pay a lot for a monthly YMCA membership so my kids have a place to swim, so I should take advantage of some of the offerings!

January 2024: Activities: 9 Distance: 40.62 mi Time: 7:02:36
I PR'd the Disneyland Half Marathon!!!:banana: Working hard for a POT to get Corral B paid off and set me up for success. I started with the 2:00 Galloway Pacers. I was nervous because I knew this would be a stretch for me, but I was with them thru 10k. When I was running through the streets of Anaheim as the sun was rising, I thought to myself, "Your training was perfect! Your outfit is perfect! This run is perfect!" I was so proud, I thought I was incredible.

I had planned to run 50 miles in January, but I only got one jog in before I got sick. Between weather & a bad cold I didn't even complete my step or walking goals for the month.

My plan after Disneyland was to strength train 5 days a week✅, ski once a week✅, run once a week🚫. I think February will be more successful. It's only the 1st and I already took a jog.
I'm trying a heart rate based running program and so far all I've done are two easy runs; they become like untimed RWR.

Yah for a new month (buh bye January.....🙄)

January Totals
28 Runs
143 Miles
1,976 feet of elevation gain
Average Distance 7.51 Miles

And very delayed ATTQOTD (ugh, always running late on these boards!):

✅ A Very Nice Run, Ann Arbor, MI (New Years Day)
✅ Frozen Paw 5k, Leaders for the Blind, Rochester Hills, MI January 21, 2024
Run Disney Princess Half Marathon (Feb 2024)
Revel Mt. Charleston Half Marathon, Las Vegas NV (April 2024)
Martian Invasion of Races 5k, Dearborn MI (April 2024)
Bayshore Half Marathon, Traverse City MI (May 2024)
Detroit Free Press Half Marathon, Detroit MI (October 2024)

Maybe: CRIM 10 Miler in Flint, MI (August)
Revel Big Cottonwood Half Marathon, Salt Lake City, Utah (Sept)
Indy Half Marathon, Indianapolis IN (November 2024)

Good luck to you also! I have no idea what I am wearing yet but you will be able to find me by looking for the runner laying beside the course face down mumbling something about life choices!😆🤣
I always question my sanity on the third loop!! :rotfl:
OMG, they are now modifying the course due to flooding. I now have 6 loops and you have 12 loops!!
Life choices...:rotfl2:

This evening as part of the pre-Olympic Trials festivities, I went to a panel with Des Linden, Zach Panning, and Colin Bennie, moderated by Kara Goucher 🤩 As they were wrapping up, Kara asked each of them what animal they embody when they're racing. Their answers were as follows:

Colin: a Dachshund (he has Dachshunds)
Zach: a Golden Retriever (maybe he has Golden Retrievers; he didn't say)
Des: a bear on cocaine

🤣🤣🤣

Hyperion House.jpg
L to R: Des Linden, Zach Panning, Colin Bennie, Kara Goucher sitting in director's chairs on an outdoor stage. Kara and Colin are speaking and Des and Zach are looking at them.

Paging @camaker and @DopeyBadger and any one else that can talk me out of (or into) something. Looking very seriously at Blackbeard’s Revenge 100K and have some questions as for as how much running I can fit in to prepare. It’s in only about 7 weeks and I’d feel better with a 3-4 month plan. On one hand I remember how hard it was to go from a half to a full and now I’m looking at more than doubling that… oh boy. On the other I love Dopey and go for a PR in the marathon on tired legs, and go another 10 without issue after it’s done. Haven’t crunched actual numbers yet but a quick first glance was aiming for 13-14 min/mile avg with 11-12 the first half and 14-16 as I tire and spend more time at aid stations eating and recovering. Thinking of running 5 minutes/walking 1 to make it happen. While that sounds good on paper, not sure about reality. Think I need to decide real soon and push pretty hard for the next month but feel that it could happen. @BikeFan I think you were talking about this one, have you ran/are you running it?
Happy to listen to anyone’s advice, thanks

Last edited:
Paging @camaker and @DopeyBadger and any one else that can talk me out of (or into) something. Looking very seriously at Blackbeard’s Revenge 100K and have some questions as for as how much running I can fit in to prepare. It’s in only about 7 weeks and I’d feel better with a 3-4 month plan. On one hand I remember how hard it was to go from a half to a full and now I’m looking at more than doubling that… oh boy. On the other I love Dopey and go for a PR in the marathon on tired legs, and go another 10 without issue after it’s done. Haven’t crunched actual numbers yet but a quick first glance was aiming for 12-13 min/mile avg with 11-12 the first half and 13-14 as I tire and spend more time at aid stations eating and recovering. Thinking of running 5 minutes/walking 1 to make it happen. While that sounds good on paper, not sure about reality. Think I need to decide real soon and push pretty hard for the next month but feel that it could happen. @BikeFan I think you were talking about this one, have you ran/are you running it?
Happy to listen to anyone’s advice, thanks
You guys are killing me running this race the year I've had to take a step back and skip it! The distance is very challenging, but so so rewarding when you finish it. The good news is it's 100% paved and entire flat, barring a couple of bridges. The big question is how comfortable are you with open road running? There are some sections of sidewalk, but the vast majority of the race is on the paved shoulder of NC-12, a busy 2-lane highway. You're going to be a couple of feet from oncoming traffic a lot of the time. I've never really felt unsafe running it, but not everyone is comfortable with that type of running and forewarned is forearmed.

Every time I've run it has been coming off of a Dopey, so I can tell you what has worked for me from a training standpoint. My goal has just been to finish upright and as comfortable as possible. To do it, while trying to minimize my weekly mileage totals to prevent overuse injury during training, I've taken my @DopeyBadger Dopey training plan (5 days/week, TWHSaSu) as the base, working backwards from race day on the plan. I keep the total weekly mileage and the long run distances constant and move some of the mid-week mileage to the Saturday run, so I'm running med-long at easy pace on Saturday and long at long run pace on Sunday. My normal max long run is 16 miles, so my max weekend ends up around 10m Sat/16m Sun. Also, I keep the target pacing as called for by the plan. I think maintaining the faster pacing (compared to planned ultra pace) gives me an extra level of endurance to draw from as I slow it down for the race. I think your pacing strategy looks reasonable as a first plan, just be prepared to adjust things on the fly, as needed. I definitely think it's an achievable goal.

Logistically, are you planning to have a crew vehicle carrying supplies for you? I find that's the best plan, as there are only 3 or 4 bag drop locations on the point to point course. I would be willing to try the 100k uncrewed, but I recommend having a crew vehicle so you have all your supplies relatively close to hand as well as someone to help in the event of injury or inclement weather. Let me know what questions I can answer for you. If you decide to go for it, I can recommend a good hotel close to the start, too. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter