The Running Thread -- 2022

Nov Totals

Total Miles - 105.30 mi
Total Time - 15:05:04 h:m:s
Average Pace - 8:36 /mi
Avg HR - 145 bpm

Decent month. After my first DNF at City of Oaks after around 90 races, I ran a Half on Thanksgiving day and found a course more hilly than anything I have done before, but finished and had fun and gave myself a great reason to enjoy eating later in the day! Plus, by finishing 3rd in my age group, won some warm fluffy socks that my wife is now getting to enjoy.....

I'm going on a long hiking trip to Patagonia (W trek) in less than 2 months having NEVER HIKED in my entire life. Any tips greatly appreciated.
Hydration/water purification has been covered, great! Will you have a guide? If so, they should coach you on altitude adaptation, keeping warm clothes when wet, not taking too long of a break and the Rest Step. I will happily expand on these if you would like.
Plus, by finishing 3rd in my age group, won some warm fluffy socks that my wife is now getting to enjoy.....
I need to choose my family races better. Just today DD got a free race for a placement in her age group, which mean more spectator/coach duty pleasure. It is all bonus fun.

Ok, going to put on a warm pair of socks now, reading your post made me realize my feet are cold. Congratulations on your age group award!

November Totals
175.55 miles
7:31 avg/mile

Good month, had an ultrasound tendon scraping that pretty much relieved all of the Achilles tendonitis that I was having in my left leg. Then had my favorite race of the year (Pittsburgh 10-miler) two days later. It was an unseasonably warm day but always a fun event and love that distance. Ran 1:05:38.

Thanks it seems to be doing better. It’s actually the soleus muscle, right where it attaches to the achilles. I know because it’s the identical strain I had a couple years back. I was stubborn then it cost me three weeks off so this time I decided to rest it before it got worse. I’ll let things get a little sore because they always do but sometimes it’s best to take a couple days off. I think pushing it at wine and dine as well as slacking off a little on stretching things out was just enough to bite me.
Hopefully you are back to 100% soon but remember all the training you’ve done this far. If you need time off you’ll still be ready for race day
I had a torn soleus muscle a few years ago leading up to Dopey and basically tried not to walk much (and definitely didn't run) for the entirety of October and part of November. My doctor thought it wouldn't heal until Thanksgiving, but I pushed him to give me a follow-up appointment in early November and he was surprised it was healed. I was undertrained going into Dopey, but completed it. Glad to hear your issues aren't quite as bad.

Ah, congrats! I haven’t been out of the country in years and have never been to Germany, but it seems like the kind of opportunity I can’t pass up. Lots to figure out!
Add me to the list of those who got into Berlin first try! Took me completely by surprise.

Now I need to figure out whether to run that or Chicago, since I'm already signed up for Chicago and I don't want to run 2 destination races in such a short period of time.

The most exciting lottery result was I got into the NYC half marathon! I've been try for 5 years to get into both this race and the full marathon and never got into either, so I'm incredibly excited! Don't even care that I'm signed up for my local half 2 weeks later, I'll do both! (I'm somewhat local to NYC, only 2 hours away, so far enough to not be able to do the 9+1 but close enough that I can still drive home after the race.)

Add me to the list of those who got into Berlin first try! Took me completely by surprise.

Now I need to figure out whether to run that or Chicago, since I'm already signed up for Chicago and I don't want to run 2 destination races in such a short period of time.

The most exciting lottery result was I got into the NYC half marathon! I've been try for 5 years to get into both this race and the full marathon and never got into either, so I'm incredibly excited! Don't even care that I'm signed up for my local half 2 weeks later, I'll do both! (I'm somewhat local to NYC, only 2 hours away, so far enough to not be able to do the 9+1 but close enough that I can still drive home after the race.)
Congratulations!

You guys are making me regret missing the lottery sign up window for Berlin! DW is a German teacher and would love for me to get in so we'd have an excuse to go back.

Congrats on both!

I may be in a similar boat. I signed up for Chicago lottery with a friend. Berlin and Chicago are too close together for me I think. I’m kind of hoping we don’t get into Chicago at this point so I don’t have to make hard choices.

November Summary
Running Miles: 128.25
Running Time: 23:18:44
Average Pace: 11:19/mile
Average HR: 142/min
YTD Running Miles: 1,648.56

Extras:
Walking Miles: 1.04
Rolling 12mo Running Miles: 1,830.78

November was a definite improvement over October, but thats not really setting a high bar. I continue to have issues with the posterior tibialis and have been getting dry needled every couple of weeks to keep me on the road. Last visit the PT needled my gastroc, too, and hoo-boy that was unpleasant during and immediately after! We also made some additional adjustments to my shoe inserts at the last appointment which seems to have helped as much as anything so far. It's far from resolved, though.

Dopey is looming on the horizon and I've been making adjustments on the fly to get the miles in. The leg seems to be pace sensitive, so everything is at least a minute/mile below my working "easy" pace. I've also introduced run/walk intervals to give the tibialis some rest periods during the runs and that seems to be helping, too. I just have to remember to adjust the mileage down on my longer runs do I'm not blowing past the intended time on feet for them. Fingers crossed this approach keeps working and lets me limp through Dopey!

I have a running confession:

I like running.

There was a point in time where I thought I would never be into just running again-- I was really only doing it because I liked triathlons. But I am finding that I am really enjoying it (minus my chronic foot pain) and on my rest days I miss it. I 100% attribute this to @DopeyBadger 's awesome plan and the incorporation of easy runs. I am so excited for December training!

I like running.

There was a point in time where I thought I would never be into just running again-- I was really only doing it because I liked triathlons. But I am finding that I am really enjoying it (minus my chronic foot pain) and on my rest days I miss it. I 100% attribute this to @DopeyBadger 's awesome plan and the incorporation of easy runs. I am so excited for December training!
Pretty much same. When you realize and are comfortable with how easy an "easy run" should actually be it's a game-changer.

I like running.

I see so many people out running who just look miserable and I always want to tell them they need to slow down. 🐌

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter