The Running Thread -- 2022

Probably a long shot, but does anyone have any experience running Revel Big Bear? I’m doing the half marathon this weekend and it looks like it will be 18 at the top and near 60 at the end. There’s a big snow storm now so I’m worried about slippery conditions at the start too. Has anyone done this race (or maybe another downhill one) where there’s drastically different weather along the way? Im guessing some of the other revel races may have similar issues. I’m planning on some throw away items but figuring out how to dress is breaking my brain!

We’re signed up for Saturday as well. Several friends have done this race and love it. The half starts near Forest Falls which won’t be quite as cold as the full start in Big Bear (likely closer to 30*). Our storms are finished, so by Saturday morning everything will be cleared/dry. I’ll be bundled the whole time though as we’re local to warmer So Cal. 🥶

Another QOTD:

I am going to Anaheim for 8 days next Wednesday for a conference. I’m staying near the convention center (Hampton Inn). Can I run outside there? Any route recommendations?

Quick clarification question: Are you planning to run alone in the area? If so, that would be a hard pass for me. The homeless population is daunting, and some of them are quite aggressive. We used to occasionally park in the Toy Story lot and walk to the parks, but now we stick with Mickey/Pixar…

We’re signed up for Saturday as well. Several friends have done this race and love it. The half starts near Forest Falls which won’t be quite as cold as the full start in Big Bear (likely closer to 30*). Our storms are finished, so by Saturday morning everything will be cleared/dry. I’ll be bundled the whole time though as we’re local to warmer So Cal. 🥶
Ah, thank you! I’ll still freeze in 30, but that’s far better than 20. I’m fairly newly local, but I’ve already adjusted and these mornings in the 40s have me bringing out my winter coat! Hope you have a good race!

I still don’t understand why two apps (NRC and Strava) on the same phone with the same GPS give a 5% difference… Imagine two different watches 😝
Yes! Same here: one run this week had 7.76 miles on Runkeeper and 7.87 miles on Intervals Pro. Both tracked on my phone. 🤷‍♀️

I might be the only one who cares (but I do find it interesting!)

Today's comparison Fenix 6s vs Forerunner 235.

Fenix - 13.5 miles, 10:00 pace
235 - 13.8 miles, 9:46 pace

At the turnaround point, I ran to 6.75 miles on the Fenix and 6.85 miles on the 235.

At the end, the 235 hit 13.7 back at my starting point, so it measured the same distance out and back. The Fenix made me run another .1 miles past the start point to hit 13.5, so it measured 6.75 out but only 6.65 on the same route on the way back.

I should have used Strava to track on my phone, too. I might do that for my next run! Three different data points to compare!

I might be the only one who cares (but I do find it interesting!)

Today's comparison Fenix 6s vs Forerunner 235.

Fenix - 13.5 miles, 10:00 pace
235 - 13.8 miles, 9:46 pace

At the turnaround point, I ran to 6.75 miles on the Fenix and 6.85 miles on the 235.

At the end, the 235 hit 13.7 back at my starting point, so it measured the same distance out and back. The Fenix made me run another .1 miles past the start point to hit 13.5, so it measured 6.75 out but only 6.65 on the same route on the way back.

I should have used Strava to track on my phone, too. I might do that for my next run! Three different data points to compare!
Do you have both watches set to use the same sets of satellites and sample from them at the same rate?

Do you have both watches set to use the same sets of satellites and sample from them at the same rate?

Oh! I always keep them on whatever they are originally programmed with!

Looking - 235 is Normal (GPS only), Fenix is GPS + GLONASS.

235 offers the GLONASS option, and Fenix offers GPS + GALILEO or UltraTrac

Both are on "Smart" data recording rate.

Oh! I always keep them on whatever they are originally programmed with!

Looking - 235 is Normal (GPS only), Fenix is GPS + GLONASS.

235 offers the GLONASS option, and Fenix offers GPS + GALILEO or UltraTrac

Both are on "Smart" data recording rate.

While I’ve read differing opinions on whether it matters, try setting both to “1 second” recording.

I did my first progression run today (it was supposed to be yesterday… shame) and have just been a ball of anxiety about it for no reason for weeks now. I think I was concerned about math during the runs because I had to do each .5 mile faster and I didn’t know what pace to do my run/walks.

So… what did I do? I ran the entire 2.5 miles without walking at all. And LOOK AT these paces (for reference, it was supposed to be 15:00, 14:30, 14:00, 13:30, 13:00):

13D755B9-E995-4707-9860-3ED7BFC3A0AF.jpeg

What! Way to go me. And I never was out of breath or felt like I couldn’t go any further although I definitely could tell I was going faster at the end. I can’t believe I didn’t walk at all. I also did a mile warm up and a mile cool down with my normal 75:30 run/walk intervals.

Also: my neighbor let me borrow her Noxgear tonight so I could feel safe in the dark and it felt like a little party. Now I want to do all of my runs in the dark. I immediately ordered my own when I got home.
What a great and fun piece of equipment! Shining and bright! We sometimes get stopped during our runs by people wanting to know what they are and where to get them. They make fantastic gifts for the runners and walkers in your life.

I did my first progression run today (it was supposed to be yesterday… shame) and have just been a ball of anxiety about it for no reason for weeks now. I think I was concerned about math during the runs because I had to do each .5 mile faster and I didn’t know what pace to do my run/walks.

So… what did I do? I ran the entire 2.5 miles without walking at all. And LOOK AT these paces (for reference, it was supposed to be 15:00, 14:30, 14:00, 13:30, 13:00):

View attachment 717947

What! Way to go me. And I never was out of breath or felt like I couldn’t go any further although I definitely could tell I was going faster at the end. I can’t believe I didn’t walk at all. I also did a mile warm up and a mile cool down with my normal 75:30 run/walk intervals.
That's really great! I'm damn impressed with those speeds and not feeling out of breath.

I'm damn impressed with those speeds and not feeling out of breath.
Haha maybe you are looking at the time (which is just for 1/2 miles) and not the overall pace? I feel like it was pretty slow! But thank you! My fitness went up 3 points during it. I am sooo close to getting out of the poor category in my VO2 max lol.

I went from a 35 to a 235 for the larger screen and more data at once, but the 55 isn't quite as limited as the 35 was.

It looks like the x55 series is claiming two-week battery life, and the x45 is one-week?

I'm now eyeing a 255 to replace the 235 due to battery aging, but I only use it for running instead of as a primary smartwatch. (I've got a Fitbit Sense 2 for that, but the GPS - as with most non-Garmin ones IME - is garbage.) I also don't care about on-device music. Things that I like in the 255: improved multi-GPS, extra sensors (compass, gyroscope, altimeter, thermometer - although I've heard there are altimeter issues), and a larger screen.
Following up: I decided to buy the 255; it arrived last night. I'll take it out for a test run on Monday, but so far:

The screen is larger, to the point where you can fit six stats on the screen at once. I immediately set one up with heart rate, lap time, lap pace, overall time, overall pace, and current pace.

It wants to provide a more 'guided' workout experience. I may look into that next week sometime, but not in the immediate future.

It took me a pass through the manual to figure out how to change the watch face. (Long-press on 'up' to bring up the settings menu.) While I was there I set the GPS to full multi-GPS mode.

It uses a different charging cable, although it appears they moved all of the x45 and later over to the new cable. I ordered two spares from Amazon because I like having spares.

I'll follow up again on Monday with what I think of it after the short run that's planned. The next race that's even on my radar is in February, and since I'll be taking off Thanksgiving week while at my in-laws, I'm not going to push very hard until after we get back.

Following up: I decided to buy the 255; it arrived last night. I'll take it out for a test run on Monday, but so far:

The screen is larger, to the point where you can fit six stats on the screen at once. I immediately set one up with heart rate, lap time, lap pace, overall time, overall pace, and current pace.

It wants to provide a more 'guided' workout experience. I may look into that next week sometime, but not in the immediate future.

It took me a pass through the manual to figure out how to change the watch face. (Long-press on 'up' to bring up the settings menu.) While I was there I set the GPS to full multi-GPS mode.

It uses a different charging cable, although it appears they moved all of the x45 and later over to the new cable. I ordered two spares from Amazon because I like having spares.

I'll follow up again on Monday with what I think of it after the short run that's planned. The next race that's even on my radar is in February, and since I'll be taking off Thanksgiving week while at my in-laws, I'm not going to push very hard until after we get back.

One word of caution on the watch face: When you are out running having too much on the face makes it hard to read. I've found the most I can do for running is 3 fields. If I want more I set it up on separate screens and scroll.

One word of caution on the watch face: When you are out running having too much on the face makes it hard to read. I've found the most I can do for running is 3 fields. If I want more I set it up on separate screens and scroll.
I do the same. I only really use three screens - one for lap pace, time, and distance; one for HR; and one for Stryd power. I have them all in a row which makes it easy to scroll between them.

Well, I managed to get a qualifying time for the NYC marathon yesterday doing the Revel Big Bear half marathon. I was not expecting that! I read that entries for qualifying times are first come first served. Anyone with experience know if that is practically difficult to do when registration opens? Is it like registering for Rundisney? Or is it fairly easy and as long as I register when it opens, it’s not a big deal? I’d love to run it next year!!

Well, I managed to get a qualifying time for the NYC marathon yesterday doing the Revel Big Bear half marathon. I was not expecting that! I read that entries for qualifying times are first come first served. Anyone with experience know if that is practically difficult to do when registration opens? Is it like registering for Rundisney? Or is it fairly easy and as long as I register when it opens, it’s not a big deal? I’d love to run it next year!!
Wow, I didn’t even know that was an option (not that i’d be able to qualify that way lol). I was curious about this and found a forum thread from a few years ago and it seems like if you sign up as soon as registration opens then you should be accepted, it just takes a long time for them to sift through the applications and confirm the results. I know they’ve used a randomized queue similar to RD in the past (and it works correctly) but not sure if it’ll be in place for this.

https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=8488270

I do the same. I only really use three screens - one for lap pace, time, and distance; one for HR; and one for Stryd power. I have them all in a row which makes it easy to scroll between them.

I'm the opposite! I had a scrolling face for years when running and was thrilled when I could fit five fields on the Fenix. I have HR at top, then distance, then total time and overall pace and then instantaneous pace at bottom. I have actual real world time on a second screen but I don't have it scrolling. I just switch to it when needed and then switch back.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter