The Running Thread -- 2022

Frankly as a man, this is just not on my radar. I feel for the ladies more and more.

I run 99% of time in my neighborhood/a greenway. But there was an incident just the week on the greenway.

I have planned early morning runs countless times, and then woke up in complete darkness and my gut told me to skip it. I always feel guilty, but after reading about Eliza I realize I was properly validating my feelings. Like Princess V - I had someone jump in my car. Middle of the day, I was asking him directions, he jumped in my half-open passenger window. I was a senior in high school, pre-cell phone days.

I avoid mornings unless it's light out or I'm running in a group. Eliza was carrying her phone, they found it. All I can think about is that she was doing the right things. It helped them find her body, but not save her. Seeing her in a Disney race photo similar to my own was really hard to process.

He - sitting there on the wrong side of a 2-way road, told me "a young lady like you" shouldn't be out in the dark because it's "not safe!" I smiled and told him "men like you shouldn't slow down to stalk a female in the dark in a concealed carry state!" He blinked da couple times, rolled up his window and drove off. Message received. (I don't actually carry BTW - but I'm willing to bet plenty of others do around here.)
There was a parody post of something like this on r/runningcirclejerk recently (btw- I don't recommend visiting that subreddit unless you have a dark sense of humor... making fun of runDisney is one of their "bits"). The post was basically parodying how men think they are making women feel more safe/comfortable when really they are adding to the problem.

Thanks for sharing your story. I agree that the "victim blaming" mentality is a huge problem, which is why I included the second question in my QOTD (what do you do to make others feel safe).

There was a parody post of something like this on r/runningcirclejerk recently (btw- I don't recommend visiting that subreddit unless you have a dark sense of humor... making fun of runDisney is one of their "bits"). The post was basically parodying how men think they are making women feel more safe/comfortable when really they are adding to the problem.

Thanks for sharing your story. I agree that the "victim blaming" mentality is a huge problem, which is why I included the second question in my QOTD (what do you do to make others feel safe).
SNL did a great job describing this problem through humor.

QOTD: I'm lucky to live in a safe area, where I have never felt threatened while running. I run in a state park a lot and there have been 1 or 2 times where it was getting near sunset and I started to feel uneasy, but not because of anything specific. I've turned the LiveTrack back on for my Garmin, I wear bone conduction headphones, I never share my run routes on any social or Strava, and I only run when it's light out. I always have my phone.

I had my car broken into last December while on a run, so honestly I worry more about that than my personal safety. But now I'm thinking about getting something to protect me personally, whether that's pepper spray, some kind of alarm or what I don't know yet.

As far as keeping others safe, I try to make eye contact and note what people are wearing.

Btw, this is why I like going to Disney when I need a few days on my own. This year's marathon in a major city is going to be a bit different than the WDW marathon last year.

I am feeling incredibly frustrated and angry with my city today. I was supposed to run a half marathon on 10/2, but today it was announced that the event is cancelled. The race organizers had to plan a new course due to major construction and got verbal approval on it a few months ago, but now they’re saying they were unable to get the permits from the city. This is not the first time this has happened - another event here had the same problem with trying to work with city but not being able to get the necessary permits. That race organization was silent for months about the status of the event, which was a red flag, and then officially cancelled relatively last minute. I don’t know what the problem is, but it’s clear it’s coming from the city and it’s so aggravating that they obviously don’t want to work with race organizers to make these races happen. Other cities are hosting large running events but not here. We’re losing so many great ones. :(

I hate to be a jerk, but…….

I keep reading I live in a “safe place.” It is only safe until it is not.

I grew up in a safe small town where everybody knew everyone’s business. It was safe until a mom dropped her daughter off for her lifeguard shift and she vanished within minutes of swim lesson students showing up. Unfortunately, she was murdered and her killer never found.

So no. You don’t live in a safe place.

I am feeling incredibly frustrated and angry with my city today. I was supposed to run a half marathon on 10/2, but today it was announced that the event is cancelled. The race organizers had to plan a new course due to major construction and got verbal approval on it a few months ago, but now they’re saying they were unable to get the permits from the city. This is not the first time this has happened - another event here had the same problem with trying to work with city but not being able to get the necessary permits. That race organization was silent for months about the status of the event, which was a red flag, and then officially cancelled relatively last minute. I don’t know what the problem is, but it’s clear it’s coming from the city and it’s so aggravating that they obviously don’t want to work with race organizers to make these races happen. Other cities are hosting large running events but not here. We’re losing so many great ones. :(
Milwaukee does seem to have struggled in the past few years. I remember (but didn't run) the Milwaukee Marathon a few years ago that was called the worst marathon in the USA. I heard that they now have new organizers and should once again put on a good showing.

I live in north suburban Chicago but have run in a bunch of races by Silver Circle Sports in the greater Milwaukee area. They are not large but are very well organized and I have always enjoyed them. Many (most) of them are trail, but some of the trails are blacktop paths which may or may not work for you. I see that they have half marathons on September 18 in Waukesha, October 25 in West Bend, and October 8 in Oconomowoc. They will be nowhere near the same size or have world class athletes (but I have met up with @DopeyBadger at a couple) but if you are trained and ready to go it might be worth it.

Of course you should also check out runningintheusa dot com and see what other HMs are near you around October 2.

Last edited:

Milwaukee does seem to have struggled in the past few years. I remember (but didn't run) the Milwaukee Marathon a few years ago that was called the worst marathon in the USA. I heard that they now have new organizers and should once again put on a good showing.

I live in north suburban Chicago but have run in a bunch of races by Silver Circle Sports in the greater Milwaukee area. They are not large but are very well organized and I have always enjoyed them. Many (most) of them are trail, but some of the trails are blacktop paths which may or may not work for you. I see that they have half marathons on September 18 in Waukesha, October 25 in West Bend, and October 8 in Oconomowoc. They will be nowhere near the same size or have world class athletes (but I have met up with @DopeyBadger at a couple) but if you are trained and ready to go it might be worth it.

Of course you should also check out runningintheusa dot com and see what other HMs are near you around October 2.

Silver circle is scrambling to put together a marathon on Oct 2nd. Probably will have a HM as well. They have a good relationship with Oconomowoc so I would say the odds are good they can put something together quickly for that date. I’ve run with them tons of times and they put on a quality race. The Madison HM/M is Nov 13th if that’s an option as well.

I hate to be a jerk, but…….

I keep reading I live in a “safe place.” It is only safe until it is not.

I grew up in a safe small town where everybody knew everyone’s business. It was safe until a mom dropped her daughter off for her lifeguard shift and she vanished within minutes of swim lesson students showing up. Unfortunately, she was murdered and her killer never found.

So no. You don’t live in a safe place.
Safety is a perception, not a fact. If I feel safe, I am safe, “until I’m not.” Being from small town America, I FEEL safe enough to run by myself, even though I would not be running in the middle of the night because I would probably not feel safe.
Think about it: I am sitting on my sofa right now, after my Saturday morning run, watching “The Emperor’s New Groove.” Am I safe? I think YES, although I know someone could break into my house at any moment to rob and kill me. I will not live my life being afraid of all the bad things/ bad people out there. So my PERCEPTION is that I live in a safe place.

CALLING ALL GALLOWAY DEVOTEES:
#1, apologies in advance for asking questions that I am sure have been asked a million times before in a million places. However,
My friend wants to start running and is curious about the run/walk/run method. I directed her to the official Galloway website and she used the Magic Mile calculator but we still have questions:
1. in the training programs, during the week it specifically says "run 15 min" etc. Does he mean run those continuously? Because on the weekends it just says "X miles", which I take to mean use the run/walk intervals and doesn't use the verb "run in the entry for that day
2. The magic mile pace calculator gives you a "long run" pace (I assume for the weekend run) and a bunch of goal paces for different races. Then a bunch of suggested intervals underneath. Most of the time it seems like your "long run" intervals would be different from your calculated goal pace intervals for whatever race you are doing. Do you change your intervals for different paces, or do you have "your" intervals that you do, no matter how fast you are running?

TIA, I know this must have been covered somewhere before. I don't have a FB account anymore and my friend is very social media averse so going to those FB groups is not an option.

#1, apologies in advance for asking questions that I am sure have been asked a million times before in a million places. However,
My friend wants to start running and is curious about the run/walk/run method. I directed her to the official Galloway website and she used the Magic Mile calculator but we still have questions:
1. in the training programs, during the week it specifically says "run 15 min" etc. Does he mean run those continuously? Because on the weekends it just says "X miles", which I take to mean use the run/walk intervals and doesn't use the verb "run in the entry for that day
2. The magic mile pace calculator gives you a "long run" pace (I assume for the weekend run) and a bunch of goal paces for different races. Then a bunch of suggested intervals underneath. Most of the time it seems like your "long run" intervals would be different from your calculated goal pace intervals for whatever race you are doing. Do you change your intervals for different paces, or do you have "your" intervals that you do, no matter how fast you are running?

TIA, I know this must have been covered somewhere before. I don't have a FB account anymore and my friend is very social media averse so going to those FB groups is not an option.
For Galloway assume you are always using run/walk/run. You can change your ratios depending on what you are doing but you pretty much always mix running and walking. In your example, I would assume long run pace for the weekend runs and those weekday runs could be done at either long run pace/ratio or you could use those as a chance to practice your race ratios.

Hello - I’m new to running and the W&D 1/2 will be my first ever race - I’m 65 (male). I’m following the Galloway run/walk with the encouragement of a runner I know. The weekday runs (30 minutes) are done at the pace I would like to go during the 1/2 at this point in the training (right now 13:00 min/mile). The weekend 3 mile runs are also at that pace. The long runs every other weekend are done 2 minutes/mile slower, or 15:00. I’m using the 30/30 run walk intervals to get the 13:00 and 15/45 to get the 15:00 right now. So:
1) run/walk always
2) the magic mile calculator is not for the long run pace in training, it’s for the weekday runs of 30 minutes and and 3 miles every other weekend. The long runs are done 2 min/mile slower.

This is my understanding, but as I’ve said I’m new to this. If anyone has a better understanding, I’m all ears!

1. It is assumes that you are always using run/walk intervals.

2. The short "tempo" runs are whatever pace you decide. Usually, you should be working at whatever your next important race is, but that is up to you. Long run pace is your race pace + 2 minutes per mile. And keep in the mind that that is a speed limit - i.e. you shouldn't be going any faster than that - and not a necessarily a pace suggestion. On long runs, you can certainly go slower (or even walk the whole thing) and get the same benefit.

The one concept that I had trouble with (and I don't think I'm alone on this) is that you are looking to hit certain paces. The interval suggestions are simply suggestions that work for most people. Your body may be different so you can try different intervals and see what works best. Can you change your intervals for different paces? Yes. Can you stay with the same intervals to get different paces? Yes. Again, it's what works best for you. I know that Chris Twiggs (running coach and head of the Galloway customized training program) has a video somewhere (maybe YouTube?) that he shot of himself running at three different paces - one a minute slower than race pace, one at race pace, and one a minute faster than race pace - all using the same intervals to demonstrate this concept.

Well, my Disneyland trip planning officially starts today...

Can someone remind me what the deal was with the coast to coast medal? Was it a half marathon (or longer?) at each park in the same calendar year?
Half in each park. Not sure if 10 miler would qualify, I think it’s fair to expect to full to do so though? And yes has to be done within the same calendar year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter