The Running Thread - 2021

ATTQOTD: Outside of rD I tend to do shorter distances (5K and 10K), and will sign up as I hear of things I'm interested in. Since Covid, I'm doing so much closer to the events -- like 2 or 3 months -- since so many things have been canceled or gone virtual. I used to sign up for RnR Vegas (Half) every year about six months out, since it's a short trip for me and WAS a good check-in race for my MW training. But they moved it from November to February, so I'm not signed up this year, but might go back in the future. (I am intrigued they added a 10K, and the course is the good part of the Half.)

QOTD:

how far in advance do you plan out your races for next year? Not the BIG races (Disney, Boston, NY/Chicago) but the rest of the stuff? Take Covid out of the equation. If it were *normal* times, when do you look at local/regional races and start penciling them into your 2022 calendar?

So for me, I start with that overarching goal. So mine is to run a sub-3 and BQ. That's been the goal for nearly a decade now. That means at least a marathon somewhere on the schedule. I want to find the right race when it comes to that. So something that has ample aid stations, is flat-ish, is historically in the 30-40 degree windchill, is reasonably close by, the training occurs during a cold season. After years of trying different races, I've settled on the Madison Marathon as my best option. Some races have some of these things, but are a miss elsewhere. Like the Disney Marathon checks a lot of boxes for me, but the weather is too variable to plan for 30-40s. Whereas, the Madison Marathon is a harder course, but it's virtually guaranteed to be cold here during the race. The Lakefront Marathon is a good option, better course than Madison, but the weather is slightly warmer (still ideal though), the training is further into summer though. I'd like to see how I perform in the 30-40s in a marathon based on how the 2019 Madison HM went.

So finding that "A" race sort of sets the rest of the calendar. I know I'm blocked up from July-November with the focus on marathon training. So that leaves me December to June to focus elsewhere. There's good research to show that you should diversify your training over the year. Don't get stuck in a continued loop of similar training. So if I've got marathon training from July-November, then I should look at different race distances for the December to June timeframe. I've got a local HM I like to do in June. It's always hot coming out of the winter/spring, so it's usually not an ideal race. This year, I'm doing Princess 5k/10k/HM in February.

The plan at the moment up to November is the Madison Marathon, then December to February is Princess, then March to May is Mile training, then July to November is Madison Marathon 2022. The marathon training focuses on high volume, 5k pacing and marathon pacing. I haven't written the Princess plan yet, but the focus will be on threshold pacing and trying some new workouts I've been toying around with for others. Then the mile training will be a tweak of what I did during Spring 2020 (not doing three hard sprint workouts per week this time). I won't have any "B" races during Princess. The plan during mile training is to sign up for 5ks, and then only run the first mile hard. So I'll be looking for races where there were some seriously fast runners so I can run with them for the first mile alone. I don't have any 5ks chosen in particular at the moment. But know generally they should occur in April/early May when the weather is still cold.

As for the current plan, I'm in the midst of training for the Madison Marathon. I'm considering doing a "B" race 10k. But since the purpose is solely for checking my fitness, I'm holding out signing up for anything to ensure I'm healthy and the weather is ideal. So I've found plenty of local races on different weekends that work with my training plan in the hopes that when the time comes one of them will work out.

So ultimately to answer the question, I plan things fairly far out, and I also plan to wait until the week of the race to sign up for some things. Just depends on the purpose of the race for me.

ATTQOTD: I plan for races anytime between over a year to a month from it. I generally have an idea of what I want to accomplish next year: Time goal, tourism or specific distances/challenges. I know some races sell fast so I might register to those as soon as they open. Other goals, sometimes linked to other members of the family, might be added with the corresponding race. If there is a trip involved, I also tend to book refundable hotel rooms well in advance.
Since Covid-19, I am careful to book races that are refundable or clearly state what will happen if canceled… As long as it is not “we will turn this into a virtual race”.

In-Person Race Report - Weymouth Woods 50k
Subtitled “Mama said there’d be races like this”

Weymouth Woods 50k was run in the Weymouth Woods Nature Preserve in Southern Pines, NC, about an hour’s drive from me. I am a road runner by nature and choice and am not sure what possessed me to sign up for a trail ultra. The race ended up being a clinic on how not to run a 50k trail race, so for all you aficionados of running schadenfreude, this race report is for you!

The day got off to a rocky start when, halfway to the race, I realized I had forgotten to put on my Garmin. I normally run with both a Garmin (run tracking) and Apple Watch (safety and audiobooks during training only), but since I didn’t have time to return for the Garmin and still make the race start, I’d just be rocking the Apple Watch today. I was a bit concerned about it making it all the way through the race while tracking the run, but I didn’t have many options.

The course itself was run on a network of interwoven trails throughout the nature preserve. It was very complicated, weaving around and doubling back on itself repeatedly. In the worst B-movie example of ham-handed foreshadowing, the race director told us at the start that “the course is extensively and clearly marked. If you take a wrong turn somehow, it’s on you, not us.”

Temperatures were mercifully cool for this time of year in NC, with a T+D of ~112 at the start, but it steadily ramped up to a much less merciful ~145 as the race progressed. Looking to take advantage of the cooler temps while I could I started fast and strong. I don’t know exactly what I was expecting from the trail course, but what I got was surfaces ranging from gravel to dirt to loose sand, all shot through extensively with roots and covered to varying degrees with long leaf pine needles. Elevation changes were constant, even if they weren’t particularly extreme or sharp, but the roots held up the sand in many areas making natural “steps”, often 9-12” in height. By the time I realized fully what I was dealing with, I had burned far too much energy and the damage was done.

Completing the 1st of four 7.75m laps, I looked at my watch and saw 5.98m. Uh oh. Remember that foreshadowing? The entire field, bar 8 or so runners in the lead pack, had missed a turn marker and cut ~1.75m off the course! The race staff was quick to come up with the solution of bypassing the timing mat on a subsequent lap to run an ~2m out and back to make up the distance and return to the timing mat to close out the lap.

Laps 2 and 3 were relatively uneventful for me, except for catching my toe on roots and falling twice. The fast start caught up to me more and more as I fatigued quickly and my stomach decided it didn’t want to tolerate gels any more at that point. I made the on the fly decision to abandon them and rely on the Gatorade the race was supplying for both nutrition and hydration so that I was getting some calories in, at least. I served my out and back sentence at the end of the 3rd lap and I was pretty well done both mentally and physically at that point.

I ended up mostly walking the last lap, running when a flat straightaway or downhill stretch came along. Rubbing salt in my already extensive (if figurative) wounds, my Apple Watch exhausted its battery and peaced out at 26.75 miles. That left me with almost 5 miles of race to slog through unable to tell time, pace or distance in any way. There were no mile markers on the course and it was so serpentine I couldn’t tell where I was relative to anything. Oh, and the course only had one aid station, at the start/finish line. I ended up having to ration my liter of Gatorade much more than I should have in the heat, running out well before the finish.

I did finish, though, in a personal worst time of 6:43:13. This makes an n of 2 for 50k races, so it was going to be a PR or PW today. On the plus side, the race represents my 5th completed ultra distance, so I’ll take solace in that. I will not run that race again. It’s nothing against the race itself, really, just give me a road race where I can settle into a groove and cruise along without having to worry about every single footfall catching a root and twisting an ankle or sending me crashing to the ground.

Today was also disappointing because DD23 was supposed to run the 25k option. Some of you met her at MW 2019. She’s had an extremely rough year with surgery for ovarian cancer followed by chemo at the beginning of the year. This was supposed to be her return to fitness race. She got COVID two weeks ago and couldn’t run the race. She’s been vaccinated but we think she’s still a bit immune compromised from her treatments. The good news is it was a fairly mild case and she’s pretty much recovered at this point.

Thanks for reading this far! I hope you’ve gotten some enjoyment from reading it. I know writing it has been the highlight of my day.

TL;DR - Ran a 50k today for a PW of 6:43:13. Seriously, though, you should read it. It just might make you feel better about the day you’ve had!

@camaker-if you raced blind like @DopeyBadger, you wouldn't have stressed about missing your Garmin :)

I prefer to race with my eyes open, especially on root-filled trails, thank you very much! :P

@camaker It happens. I’m more sorry about your daughter’s troubles than I am about your race. God bless her!
When things went wrong, you persevered and will race another day! I’m proud of you. (I wouldn’t even think about running that distance.)

Thank you! I’ve run enough races at this point to recognize when it’s just not going to be my day and adjust my approach on the fly. I’m not upset at all with the race. Those days happen.

The worst part of the day was definitely that DD couldn’t be there. Having run the course, though, I don‘t think it was the right course for her to run anyway. She‘s a bit accident-prone on course and even managed to re-twist an ankle during the Disney Marathon. On the flip and worrying side her doctor is recommending another round of chemo, so there’s no telling when she’ll get another chance to race.

have a few races in mind for the future - I just need to decide which ones I want to do first:

Ave of the Giants (someone is doing this one soon. I’m hoping for a race report!)
Skidaway Island
Charlevoix Marathon
Madeline Island

I’m signed up for Ave of Giants HM that was postponed from May to September 19th! I keep checking the website, but as of now, looks like the race is a go! I’m also dreaming of running with T+D less than 100!! Ill do my best to give a race report!

ATTQOTD: Since I didn’t start running until I was 47, my race goals are to try something new, experience somewhere new. I have some bucket list races like Cherry Blossom 10m, but really I prefer running in nature vs city. I have had the privilege of running Bolder Boulder 10K with my sister and nieces, who live in the area, but I much preferred the Grand Teton HM put on by Vacation Races!

This is something I’m trying to come to terms with, but the 2:30 HM POT for Disney always seemed like a realistic goal for better corral placement. The new POT are completely out of reach for me, and I’ve struggled a bit with motivation to get faster. I guess I just need to find a new goal to work toward. 🤷‍♀️

QOTD:

how far in advance do you plan out your races for next year? Not the BIG races (Disney, Boston, NY/Chicago) but the rest of the stuff? Take Covid out of the equation. If it were *normal* times, when do you look at local/regional races and start penciling them into your 2022 calendar?

I generally start with any known travel and looking to see if I can add a race to that. Work trips, family trips, destination events like weddings. Disney would fall into this category. Once I know that I decide what my overall goal will be for the year. A BQ attempt, knocking out a new state to race in, a specific local race or series I want to do. If there is I will plan put that on the calendar. Then there are a few races I try to do every year, especially around holidays, so unless we will be out of town I sign up for that. Then it is just fill in the blanks around by main goal and life.

QOTD:

Not long! If I am honest, I am not really sure I like racing, just running.

The longest plan I have had was to sign up for a 10K 4 months in advance- it was my first race. I signed up for the Avengers 10K 3 weeks in advance and it required coordinating cross country travel. I signed up for a non-disney half 2 months in advance. I have yet to sign up for an October 2021 race yet because I feel I could run the 10K without it being a stretch but I want to see how back to school goes and aim for the half. My advance planning seems to be reserved for other pursuits, I guess!
I will probably aim for a spring 10K and a spring half in 2022, the earliest of which would be in March so I will not worry about it until January.

As I have zero interest in a marathon (because I have zero interest in the time commitment!) I do not feel compelled to plan to start training 5 months in advance. I also recognize that at this point I am not interested in traveling far or without my family to run, and that there are ample opportunities to race within an hour or two. Until 2020, I could count on a marathon, two halfs, and a handful of 5Ks every spring within biking distance from my house. Fall requires driving because football takes over and there are no races in town until this year (I am excited to see if the fall races stick). I think that availability has led me to procrastinate longer than if I had to travel farther.

Question: Anybody know an easy way to get an elevation profile for a race course if they don't post it? I have the map but no elevation profile.

Question: Anybody know an easy way to get an elevation profile for a race course if they don't post it? I have the map but no elevation profile.

My go to method is using past race results to look up names of runners who have done it. Then cross check those names on Strava to see if they have a profile. I take it one step further and look for a premium member because then I can get grade adjusted pacing splits for each mile of the course. That way I can make adjustments to pacing strategy based on the course profile. If I can’t find anyone, then I use Google Pedometer as a back up method. I think Garmin has a mapping method now too but haven’t played with it too much.

My go to method is using past race results to look up names of runners who have done it. Then cross check those names on Strava to see if they have a profile. I take it one step further and look for a premium member because then I can get grade adjusted pacing splits for each mile of the course. That way I can make adjustments to pacing strategy based on the course profile. If I can’t find anyone, then I use Google Pedometer as a back up method. I think Garmin has a mapping method now too but haven’t played with it too much.
I sometimes will ‘build’ the course in Garmin Connect. Then I can put the course in my race predictor and get an estimated finish time.
Great! I'll try both of these.

@SheHulk - I usually look at halfmarathons.net or findmymarathon.com for elevation profiles
Thanks! It's a 10k, I wonder if there is a site for 10k's?
I use Map my run. You can search for a route, or if your route is not there, you can create one to match your course. It will include elevation.
Awesome. I'll have to dust off my old login :)

I use Google Earth and build the course then look at the profile. You can also do this in Garmin Connect. Before you go through the trouble of creating it in Garmin zoom in on the city and do a search for the race. I'm seeing more and more people uploading their GPX track as a course after races so others can see it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter