• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread - 2021

Compression socks? .... But what about brands? Are there brands that you like? Brands that you have found to be a good value? Brands to avoid (over-priced or low quality)?

Based on recommendations in the 2018 thread I bought CEP compression socks (tall/long/ knee high, however you want to describe them). I chose CEP over the others discussed at that time as CEP sizes based on calf size instead of shoe size. I have worn them for post race recovery, on the plane the day after a race, and other times.

Compression socks? I recall DopeyBadger having some commentary about these a few weeks ago regarding their usefulness during vs after running, and also discussed compression calf/lower leg sleeves.

But what about brands? Are there brands that you like? Brands that you have found to be a good value? Brands to avoid (over-priced or low quality)?

I have some knee high compression socks I got on Amazon like $35 for a 6 pack. I haven’t run in them but they are seriously helping with pregnancy swelling so I’m definitely interested in trying them for running as well. I have tried some nicer/expensive ones and I can’t tell much of a difference personally, but I’m no expert.

Well with the talk of rain ealier have to give today's story. We had rain in the forcast most of today off and on. So around lunch we had nothing looked at accuweatehr and it said no rain for over 60 minutes and while there was rain to the west radar showed it going just north so decided to head on out. Was only doing 2 mile intervals today (then a mile walk to finish the loop back to my house).

Well, at about 2 miles at least after I had finished my main workout today then the clouds came and thunder... uh oh... I knew what was coming.. At around 2.25 the bottom dropped out. yep.. gonna be fun. Nothing much to do though is finish getting home. I'm less then a mile away. There is one 0.2 mile section between where I was then and my subdivison entrance that has no sidewalks but has a well worn trail. Unfortunatly, that trail was a little stream so had a little dodging there.

Then the interesting part about half way through the trail a fire truck pulls up (there is a firestation about 1/2 a mile from my subdivision on the other side so I'm assuming it was from there) pulled up beside me flipped their lights on and stopped and asked where I was going, if I was good, and if I needed a ride. Told them I was just the next subdivision up and was fine...After all that i wanted credit for the complete 3 mile loop... not 2.5!

Made it home fine and stripped as soon as I came inside. . Clothes will be going in washer shortly and shoes put out to dry once the rains stops.

As for my rain apparel today.. nothing special. Had one one of my long sleeve star wars hald marathon disneyland shirts and my underarmor shorts.

I do not run in rain on purpose. Okay, I did it once when training for Dopey and never did it again. I hated it. I was miserable. Don’t believethe fake smile in that Instagram post 🤣

Compression socks and sleeves are a cute fashion accessory for me. I have not noticed a difference in recovery for me. My DH said they helped with the cramping he would get in his calves. Everyone is different so I suggest trying for yourself.

I typically don't run in the rain unless it's a long run that I can't move and then I would rather run wet than die of boredom on the treadmill.

I will never forget training for my second Disney Marathon. It was the weekend of my 20 mile training run and I didn't want to miss it even though it was a solid rain and only in the high 30s (which is pretty cold for us here in Georgia). Went to my usual long run path (a greenway park) dressed as best I could and took off. Needless to say, the usually busy path was empty. As I plod along and get about 12 miles or so in, I see a two runners coming at me from the opposite way. As they got closer, one of the women yelled out "training for a marathon?" A quick acknowledgment and high-five as we passed each other made me feel like we were part of a secret club (or some would argue equally stupid). Was still a cold and miserable run, but at least that put a smile on my face (and still does today).

I used to avoid running in the rain at all costs. This past year the drive to get out into the fresh air along with an abnormally wet fall and winter has pushed me to run in the rain. As long as it’s not lightning or an absolute heavy downpour I’ll run in it.

As others have mentioned, a hat with a visor is a must, especially as I wear glasses. The only other concession I typically make is adding an ultralight water and wind resistant jacket. I think it’s an Outdoor Research Boost jacket. It helps a lot. I find the Outdoor Gear Lab site to be a great source for equipment recommendations if folks are looking for rain gear.

All in all, I feel much better prepared now should it rain on race day.

I found a good price on a pair of Hoka One One Carbon X (not the latest model) so I ordered them, and they arrived today. I tried them on and got super-excited! It feels like there is a rocker in the shoe that pushes you forward a little with each step. My excitement over trying them out is tempered by my worry that I will cause an injury by using a shoe that is so different from what I'm used to, though I do generally run in other Hoka models almost exclusively. I know a few folks on the boards have used the Nike versions. Anybody have any advice or words of caution? I have a super-short run scheduled for Monday and I was going to give them a little tryout on the city streets. I'd love to just break them in a little and then use them in my marathon in November (knock wood). Good idea or bad idea?

typically don't run in the rain unless it's a long run that I can't move and then I would rather run wet than die of boredom on the treadmill

This! When I do run in the rain, I have my visor and put my phone in a bag like others suggested. If it’s going to be a heavy rain, I’ll wear just retired running shoes instead of my newest pair.

I found a good price on a pair of Hoka One One Carbon X (not the latest model) so I ordered them, and they arrived today. I tried them on and got super-excited! It feels like there is a rocker in the shoe that pushes you forward a little with each step. My excitement over trying them out is tempered by my worry that I will cause an injury by using a shoe that is so different from what I'm used to, though I do generally run in other Hoka models almost exclusively. I know a few folks on the boards have used the Nike versions. Anybody have any advice or words of caution? I have a super-short run scheduled for Monday and I was going to give them a little tryout on the city streets. I'd love to just break them in a little and then use them in my marathon in November (knock wood). Good idea or bad idea?

I'd say treat them like any other new shoe. Do something small in them and test them out. Then do a little more or harder run. A marathon tempo or long run would also be a good idea down the road. Personally, I don't think I've had much of any issues with my Next%. I wore my first pair for nearly 1000 miles. My best other shoe (Saucony Triumph) lasted 500 miles, so I was pleasantly surprised how long the Next% lasted before I felt like they were dead. I'd say their peak performance was in the first 100 miles.

In-Person Race Report - Blackbeard’s Revenge 100k

I haven’t been able to run an in-person race since Dopey 2020, so of course I had to mark my return to live races with an attempt at my first 100k! Blackbeard’s Revenge 100m & 100k is run along the NC outer banks with the 100k starting at Jennette’s Pier in Nags Head and ending at the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum in Hatteras. I love running on the outer banks because they’re flat and nostalgic. I grew up fishing for and gigging flounder in the salt marshes with my father and being out there brings back great memories.

We started off the race at the end of the pier, about a tenth of a mile out over the Atlantic at 9:30am and I immediately settled into a rhythm of walking the first minute of each mile and running the rest. The entirety of the route was on the shoulder of open roads, mostly highway, and a few miles in we passed the Bodie Island Lighthouse (I like lighthouses). The first real concern for me arose around mile 8/9. I don’t like heights and the course took us across the new 2.8 mile long Basnight Bridge over Oregon Inlet. With a constant 10-12mph wind gusting higher trying to blow me into traffic, I was not a fan. The views from the top of the 75’ tall center spans were breathtaking, though.

Relieved to have the bridge behind me, I settled into an easy rhythm, clicking off the miles. DW was crewing for me, scouting aid stations and refilling my consumables when needed. I hit a low point around miles 25-35. My legs were starting to tire a little, my knee was starting to hurt and I was hitting the 50k mark, an ultra distance in its own right, and was only half done! A pre-planned change of shoes and socks at the mid-point aid station did a lot to ease the knee pain and I started playing mental games with my race strategy to refocus. I would vary my run/walk interval and focus on running the new strategy for 5 miles to address the fatigue in my legs and keep my mind in the present and not what lay ahead.

By the time I got to mile 47, I was fully back on my game and paused to put on my night gear (it was ~6:45pm at this point). In a nice little diversion at this point, racers had to do a 1.3m out and back to historical Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and pick up a pirate’s eye patch at the turnaround to show you’d completed the segment at the next aid station. I was cruising again, feeling good as I hit the 50 mile mark, and looking forward to a countdown of the last 12 miles. I should’ve known it was too good to be true, seeing a full moon rising as I headed away from the lighthouse, because that’s when all hell started to break loose on the course!

There was lightning and thunder on the horizon, literally. It got progressively closer with some of the most brilliant bolts I’ve seen lighting up the sky as night fell. At mile 52, I had to take cover in a school entryway as the lightning got way too close for comfort and the deluge began. DW made it back to me and we sat in the car waiting for the storm to pass. The race directors emailed out that the race had been suspended (although the clock continued to run) and we waited for the all clear to start back up again. After waiting more than 65 minutes in the car, word finally came that we could continue.

All the rhythm and momentum was gone. Sitting in the car for that long, I cooled off and everything stiffened up. While the lightning was gone, now it was raining in waves of light to moderate intensity. It was pitch black and I could barely see through the rain with my headlamp and I was having a hard time seeing standing water on the side of the road. My feet and socks were soaked from splashing through ankle deep water I couldn’t see until it was too late. Then at mile 54 the lightning returned.

A new cell had developed on the back end of the storm system. I ran through increasingly heavy rain until, again, the lightning got too close. I found a closed bakery with an awning just wide enough to shelter under as the storm peaked again and they pulled racers from the course. DW had a hard time finding me this time, so there wasn’t much time left to sit. This delay was around 17 minutes, but it was enough to cause problems.

The restart after this delay was the only time I felt like I was in danger of a DNF. I was soaked and chilled and started having chills strong enough that I thought I was going to shake the watch off my wrist. Fortunately, after a quarter to half a mile, I started to warm up again and the shaking subsided. Mercifully the rain stopped, although I still had trouble seeing the standing water. I didn’t even pause at the last aid station, just calling out my bib number to the volunteer so she could check me in officially, opting to keep what little momentum I had going to the finish line.

I hit the finish line just after 11:45pm for an official time of 14:17:45. I estimate my actual running time, factoring out the rain delays, to be somewhere around 12:55:15. It would’ve been better than that if I’d been able to carry my mile 50 momentum through the finish line.

Ultimately, I finished 12th overall (56 registered, 44 finished, DNF/DNS breakdown unknown) and place 2nd among Masters Men for my first ever age group award at any distance! I was stunned!

Thanks for sticking with me through a long race recap. A lot happened over those 62 miles and these were just the biggest “highlights”. It was a blast and an adventure and I’d totally do it again. The race was extremely well run and organized. I’d recommend it to anyone without reservation. I’m already hoping to be back next year either for a shot at a “clean” 100k or a first 100m attempt.

Jennette’s Pier (Start line at the tip of the pier)
7D815918-F34C-47F0-BD66-87A9101AF1D0.jpeg

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
88003600-30F7-4BB6-8317-F3ED95A8DF3D.jpeg

Course Overview
15AF666B-D17D-4A7D-9338-2EB2E0B1A411.jpeg

The Medal (Favorite Medal to Date!)
2EE2C124-21A2-4E5E-A988-187A0EF4C56D.jpeg

I haven’t been able to run an in-person race since Dopey 2020, so of course I had to mark my return to live races with an attempt at my first 100k! Blackbeard’s Revenge 100m & 100k is run along the NC outer banks with the 100k starting at Jennette’s Pier in Nags Head and ending at the Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum in Hatteras. I love running on the outer banks because they’re flat and nostalgic. I grew up fishing for and gigging flounder in the salt marshes with my father and being out there brings back great memories.

We started off the race at the end of the pier, about a tenth of a mile out over the Atlantic at 9:30am and I immediately settled into a rhythm of walking the first minute of each mile and running the rest. The entirety of the route was on the shoulder of open roads, mostly highway, and a few miles in we passed the Bodie Island Lighthouse (I like lighthouses). The first real concern for me arose around mile 8/9. I don’t like heights and the course took us across the new 2.8 mile long Basnight Bridge over Oregon Inlet. With a constant 10-12mph wind gusting higher trying to blow me into traffic, I was not a fan. The views from the top of the 75’ tall center spans were breathtaking, though.

Relieved to have the bridge behind me, I settled into an easy rhythm, clicking off the miles. DW was crewing for me, scouting aid stations and refilling my consumables when needed. I hit a low point around miles 25-35. My legs were starting to tire a little, my knee was starting to hurt and I was hitting the 50k mark, an ultra distance in its own right, and was only half done! A pre-planned change of shoes and socks at the mid-point aid station did a lot to ease the knee pain and I started playing mental games with my race strategy to refocus. I would vary my run/walk interval and focus on running the new strategy for 5 miles to address the fatigue in my legs and keep my mind in the present and not what lay ahead.

By the time I got to mile 47, I was fully back on my game and paused to put on my night gear (it was ~6:45pm at this point). In a nice little diversion at this point, racers had to do a 1.3m out and back to historical Cape Hatteras Lighthouse and pick up a pirate’s eye patch at the turnaround to show you’d completed the segment at the next aid station. I was cruising again, feeling good as I hit the 50 mile mark, and looking forward to a countdown of the last 12 miles. I should’ve known it was too good to be true, seeing a full moon rising as I headed away from the lighthouse, because that’s when all hell started to break loose on the course!

There was lightning and thunder on the horizon, literally. It got progressively closer with some of the most brilliant bolts I’ve seen lighting up the sky as night fell. At mile 52, I had to take cover in a school entryway as the lightning got way too close for comfort and the deluge began. DW made it back to me and we sat in the car waiting for the storm to pass. The race directors emailed out that the race had been suspended (although the clock continued to run) and we waited for the all clear to start back up again. After waiting more than 65 minutes in the car, word finally came that we could continue.

All the rhythm and momentum was gone. Sitting in the car for that long, I cooled off and everything stiffened up. While the lightning was gone, now it was raining in waves of light to moderate intensity. It was pitch black and I could barely see through the rain with my headlamp and I was having a hard time seeing standing water on the side of the road. My feet and socks were soaked from splashing through ankle deep water I couldn’t see until it was too late. Then at mile 54 the lightning returned.

A new cell had developed on the back end of the storm system. I ran through increasingly heavy rain until, again, the lightning got too close. I found a closed bakery with an awning just wide enough to shelter under as the storm peaked again and they pulled racers from the course. DW had a hard time finding me this time, so there wasn’t much time left to sit. This delay was around 17 minutes, but it was enough to cause problems.

The restart after this delay was the only time I felt like I was in danger of a DNF. I was soaked and chilled and started having chills strong enough that I thought I was going to shake the watch off my wrist. Fortunately, after a quarter to half a mile, I started to warm up again and the shaking subsided. Mercifully the rain stopped, although I still had trouble seeing the standing water. I didn’t even pause at the last aid station, just calling out my bib number to the volunteer so she could check me in officially, opting to keep what little momentum I had going to the finish line.

I hit the finish line just after 11:45pm for an official time of 14:17:45. I estimate my actual running time, factoring out the rain delays, to be somewhere around 12:55:15. It would’ve been better than that if I’d been able to carry my mile 50 momentum through the finish line.

Ultimately, I finished 12th overall (56 registered, 44 finished, DNF/DNS breakdown unknown) and place 2nd among Masters Men for my first ever age group award at any distance! I was stunned!

Thanks for sticking with me through a long race recap. A lot happened over those 62 miles and these were just the biggest “highlights”. It was a blast and an adventure and I’d totally do it again. The race was extremely well run and organized. I’d recommend it to anyone without reservation. I’m already hoping to be back next year either for a shot at a “clean” 100k or a first 100m attempt.

View attachment 565798

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
View attachment 565799

Course Overview
View attachment 565800

View attachment 565801
Amazing! Congratulations!

View attachment 565798

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
View attachment 565799

Course Overview
View attachment 565800

View attachment 565801

Congratulations!

giphy.gif

View attachment 565798

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
View attachment 565799

Course Overview
View attachment 565800

View attachment 565801
Congratulations and way to grind it out! Very impressive!

View attachment 565798

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
View attachment 565799

Course Overview
View attachment 565800

View attachment 565801

So awesome! Congratulations! That route does look fantastic, and cool medal!

View attachment 565798

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
View attachment 565799

Course Overview
View attachment 565800

View attachment 565801

Holy cow!!! I am in awe. I would have quit.

Hi,
I saw somewhere that they are changing the star wars theme? Just away from Rival run or star wars altogether to something new?

Hi,
I saw somewhere that they are changing the star wars theme? Just away from Rival run or star wars altogether to something new?
The last sentence in the first paragraph states that it will be reimagined:
https://www.rundisney.com/advisory/
I don’t know that we know if it is completely away from Star Wars or not. My guess is that it might change - maybe be Flower & Garden related?? - kind of a W&D in the spring.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter