The Running Thread - 2021

The last few times I ran in the freezing cold, I told myself, Ok, this is the last freezing run until next winter. But there is always another one. 25 degrees and "feels like" is 14 this morning. Every year March fakes me out. You would think I've seen enough Marches by now, to learn my lesson, but, No. Anybody in the US in real spring yet?

We are in our first false spring. We hit the 60s and then back down to the 30s (those are the highs, lows are teens). We will be back in the 60s by the weekend but I would be shocked if we don't have at least one more snow that sticks.

Yep, spring has sprung in west-central FL. And by "sprung," I mean the pollen - out of the trees and EVERYWHERE. It's sunny, dry, and highs in the low 80s, lows in the low 60s... but I can't go outside because when I do, I spend the next 12 hours coughing and sneezing. "Luckily" spring is short-lived here: another few weeks and it'll be what the rest of the country considers summer, lol!
Oh yeah pollen is something I am not looking forward to! Even in PA it's usually about 3 weeks between the last time I complain about cold, until the first time I complain about the heat :teeth: Then the reverse in the fall into winter.

@garneska - I'm not sure what Boston 2021 will be like since I think it's the crowds that make the race so amazing. I hope all of us first timers can get in this one, but I know another BQ is in your future!

I do think the crowds will suffer this year. I think it will depend on what the state looks like at that point. The marathon is such a party atmosphere and I am not sure that will be able to happen. Also many businesses are allowing their employees to work remotely and that is not going to change so you would usually get people cheering or out an about on their lunch break etc. and they won't be there either. On the flip side, the weather is much better in October than April so better chance for ideal conditions.

I do think the crowds will suffer this year. I think it will depend on what the state looks like at that point. The marathon is such a party atmosphere and I am not sure that will be able to happen. Also many businesses are allowing their employees to work remotely and that is not going to change so you would usually get people cheering or out an about on their lunch break etc. and they won't be there either. On the flip side, the weather is much better in October than April so better chance for ideal conditions.

I can also see the city encouraging spectators to stay away as well due to when it is. Maybe encourage firends/family of runners only and everybody else stay home.

ATTQOTD- I’m on Long Island. We had a small winter series in person. The half that I was signed up for last may has been moved to September and they seem optimistic. Not too much else going on in person that I now of.

I’m debating trying to sign up for the virtual Boston. I’ll never be able to qualify so it might be “fun” to take my one chance to get a Boston medal.

The last few times I ran in the freezing cold, I told myself, Ok, this is the last freezing run until next winter. But there is always another one. 25 degrees and "feels like" is 14 this morning. Every year March fakes me out. You would think I've seen enough Marches by now, to learn my lesson, but, No. Anybody in the US in real spring yet?
I'm in Texas. After last month there is no way I'm gonna jinx things by saying yes.

I may have just bought three pairs of my current running sneakers. (In my defense, they were over 50% off) That - plus the two relatively new ones that I have - should get me through Dopey training, right?

Has anyone else bought or planning on buying any cool running gear with their stimulus money?

For all you Goodr fans, Wirecutter is showing a one-time discount code of ONTHERUN2021. Not sure if it works with all styles, but the OG ones give $10 off.
I’m pretty sure this code is from the “Ali on the Run” podcast. I listen to it occasionally and she’s had some great guests!

I may have just bought three pairs of my current running sneakers. (In my defense, they were over 50% off) That - plus the two relatively new ones that I have - should get me through Dopey training, right?

Has anyone else bought or planning on buying any cool running gear with their stimulus money?
Pre-stimulus, but I stocked up on discounted shoes while they're still in stock. But thanks for the reminder - I'm nearly out of 2 Toms glide!

I ran a live race this morning...the Bill Roney Memorial 5k, put on by Hanson's Running Shops. I had not run this before, but my husband had--back when he used to run. It's flat, and the weather was ideal (mid/upper 30's, sunny, very light wind). In other words, no excuses to be found for whatever performance I turned in. I have been doing a BAA 5k plan for the last 6 weeks, and did all my training outdoors--a first for me, since usually I have always done speedwork at the gym.

The race is small--probably a couple hundred people. There were 4 waves based on expected finish. I lined up with 25-29 minutes--I honestly have no clue what time I am capable of racing a 5k in, since I haven't run one in 3 years, and my training paces for intervals were honestly, too fast. Masks were required at the start/finish area and most people complied. (Everyone had something, but it was fairly easy to distance and so some people dropped theirs). I did set my watch for 1/4 mile laps, with the intent of looking at the first two to make sure I wasn't doing anything stupid.

Actual race summary: I ran, it was the usual "5k explosion of pain" and finished in 24:41. A good result (as long as I stop comparing it to absolute times of past races). On an age-graded basis, it's about 75-76% , which is pretty much what my absolute 5k PR time converted to. I won my age group (yeah for being 62), which was nice since I need new shoes and if I go to a Hanson's shop with my bib, I get 20% off and I got $20 for being the AG winner. Not bad for a $20 race fee--which included a Brooks shirt (who else, given it's Hanson's).

So there you go. I guess I am: happy to have done a real race, happy to have trained through the dead of winter totally outdoors (an achievement, in my book), and happy to see that on at least one scale, I still can achieve a "competitive" result. But god, do 5k's hurt!

Has anyone had the experience of totally forgetting a particular race? I was looking at my 5k results in Athlinks, and there is a race that is supposedly my PR that I did in 2010 and I have absolutely no recollection of it. I mean, it's like it was "obliviated". The result is plausible, since it was after my marathon PR and during my Boston training cycle, but wow. I know that 5k makes you suffer, but this seems a little ridiculous! :) All this time, I thought my PR was for a different race--and they're within 6 seconds, so it's not a big deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter