The Running Thread - 2021

Oh! And the (traverse city) Bayshore Marathon, which is really popular destination race (it makes a lot of lists in magazines, etc), went virtual already. I think that is usually run in the end of May as well. It sells out really quickly every year, and is probably the biggest race in my area annually.

I ran it once several years ago and after the first mile or so it is all run along a residential road with views of the lake to the turn around and back. It is absolutely stunning! Hopefully next year it will be in person. That would be as fun one to do again.

I ran it once several years ago and after the first mile or so it is all run along a residential road with views of the lake to the turn around and back. It is absolutely stunning! Hopefully next year it will be in person. That would be as fun one to do again.

When you’ve lived there your entire life you get so used to the view that’s it’s just like, “meh. The bay.” 😂🤪🤷🏻‍♀️ I think another reason it’s so popular is that it’s BQ, and apparently really flat. Plus the eleventy-fifteen wineries and breweries for when you’re done running.

Great job on the 6-hour race! Those sort of races scare me. :)

Which race are you doing in April?
http://www.runyamacraw.com/race/50k-race-details/
I do a lot of miles on another section of this trail, but I'm pretty nervous.

Congratulations Bovie! I never like the first big run after it warms up. Seems like you have a solid plan in place for your target race. I did the same with food for my race in February. I hope you have a good race next month.
Thanks so much! I feel like I've been training for this forever- I was initially signed up last year, and was super consistent til I got off course when my entire family had COVID last fall. I found it was delayed again while I was sitting in my car waiting on my test, which was ultimately negative. Regardless, it will be nice to be racing, and they appear to have a very solid COVID safety plan.

I will say- I didn't realize that I might be crossing creeks on a bridge of rafts til weeeeelllllll after I signed up haha.

Here in atlanta ATC has been running several races with a lot of percaustions mostly moving them to closed course where they can stagger people.

The big one Peachtree road race has registration staarting monday and is doing it over 2 days and are going to require proof of negative test or vaccination. I'm still scepticaal they'll be able to run in atlanta proper and will likely have to move it, but it looks like it is happening through.

http://www.runyamacraw.com/race/50k-race-details/
I do a lot of miles on another section of this trail, but I'm pretty nervous.

Ah, Big South Fork! My husband and I did a hiking vacation there - maybe about 10 years ago now? Before I started running, I think. We were there in July/August and the humidity was insane - I hope April is better! I forget which trail we were on, but it was the first (and only) time we encountered a rattlesnake on the trail. We gave it a very wide berth.

I hope the race goes well for you!

The last few times I ran in the freezing cold, I told myself, Ok, this is the last freezing run until next winter. But there is always another one. 25 degrees and "feels like" is 14 this morning. Every year March fakes me out. You would think I've seen enough Marches by now, to learn my lesson, but, No. Anybody in the US in real spring yet?

All signed for for ATC peachtree road race on July 4th.... well actually in for triple peach (PTRR, Atlanta 10 miler, and thanksgiving half) Still a lot of questions mainly around location but so far it looks like they are trying to do it at the regular location in atlanta (which hasn't permitted any races during COVID) and during signup you agree that If they require vaccine proof or recent test (within 7 days) and you don't provide it you'll be disqualified with no refunds. Definitely will be one to watch.

Haven't signed up yet but also look at the Atlanta Braves 5k in June.

These will be my first in-person races since marathon weekend last year.

The last few times I ran in the freezing cold, I told myself, Ok, this is the last freezing run until next winter. But there is always another one. 25 degrees and "feels like" is 14 this morning. Every year March fakes me out. You would think I've seen enough Marches by now, to learn my lesson, but, No. Anybody in the US in real spring yet?
I had the same morning weather and met it with disgust. I tried to remind myself I will prefer this over late August, but it was not enough to be happy about today. This combined with the time change resulting in me giving up this morning. I feel like we got a fake out with weather last week- I was so excited for sun and 45 last week I had tears in my eyes that were not because of the ridiculous wind.

All signed for for ATC peachtree road race on July 4th.... well actually in for triple peach (PTRR, Atlanta 10 miler, and thanksgiving half) Still a lot of questions mainly around location but so far it looks like they are trying to do it at the regular location in atlanta (which hasn't permitted any races during COVID) and during signup you agree that If they require vaccine proof or recent test (within 7 days) and you don't provide it you'll be disqualified with no refunds. Definitely will be one to watch.

Haven't signed up yet but also look at the Atlanta Braves 5k in June.

These will be my first in-person races since marathon weekend last year.
Same! Triple Peach for DH and me, with fingers crossed that they will happen somewhat normally. Already have hotel reservations for PTRR since we live 2 hours away, and, like you, chose July 4, because... tradition!

Ahh yes, the 12 seasons of the Midwest:

Winter
Fool's Spring
Second Winter
Spring of Deception
Third Winter - you are here 😆
The Pollening
Actual Spring
Summer
Hell's Front Porch
False Fall
Second Summer
Actual Fall

@dis_or_dat i was coming to see if you had posted anything. I am almost positive I won't get in with a 20k cap on runners but i will sign up anyways. I am guessing you have to be at least 5 minutes faster than qualifying. You should be good. I won't do the virtual this year, did that not doing it again. However I am hoping this means in spring 2022 i can try and hit another BQ time.

I got my link for PTRR. I deferred last year so I will do the in person. Again not interested in the virtual. I will sign up since I already paid for it. Assuming I am vaccinated I will run it. If not am not going. I guess it will keep me watching when i can get a vaccine. In case others have not read all the threads. I have been worried about my parents. Could not get them an appointment but finally, they are getting their first shot on Friday. Makes me a lot happier.

@dis_or_dat i was coming to see if you had posted anything. I am almost positive I won't get in with a 20k cap on runners but i will sign up anyways. I am guessing you have to be at least 5 minutes faster than qualifying. You should be good. I won't do the virtual this year, did that not doing it again. However I am hoping this means in spring 2022 i can try and hit another BQ time.

Got my fingers crossed for you and all the other first-timers. Hopefully the fact it conflicts with Chicago helps keep the number of entrants down. I definitely feel for everyone who worked so hard to qualify in 2020 and didn't get a chance to run!

@garneska - so many different factors are playing in. Reduced size. Still 20% charity bibs. Few qualifying races, but some are aging into different age groups. But also reduced international runners and as @BikeFan mentioned, the Chicago marathon right before.

This is the breakdown from the 2020 field:
  • 4,051 Qualifiers met their qualifying time by 20 minutes, 00 seconds or faster.
  • 6,772 Qualifiers met their qualifying time by 10 minutes, 00 seconds or faster.
  • 6,948 Qualifiers met their qualifying time by 05 minutes, 00 seconds or faster.
  • 5,885 Qualifiers met their qualifying time by 1 minute, 39 seconds or faster.
  • 471 Qualifiers were accepted based on finishing 10 or more consecutive Boston Marathons.
  • 290 Qualified Para Athletes have been accepted, or are expected to be accepted, through the conclusion of the Para Athletics Divisions and Adaptive Programs registration period.

Seems like general consensus is 6-10 min buffer, closer to 8. But who knows?

I'm not sure what Boston 2021 will be like since I think it's the crowds that make the race so amazing. I hope all of us first timers can get in this one, but I know another BQ is in your future!

*also I'm so happy your parents got an appointment! We lucked into my mom getting one yesterday and the sheer relief and joy was palpable. 1st shot is just a sore arm, the 2nd shot is when you get the body aches etc.

**also people have said I have some weird sixth sense as I'll randomly think of someone and contact them to say hi and find out they're in the ER etc. or watch tv (a rarity especially with streaming) and immediately see a friend on TV etc. and so this morning I wore my BQ shirt (which I never do) and when I got back from my run, I saw the email! The only other time I've worn it, the virtual was announced the next day.

@garneska
*also I'm so happy your parents got an appointment! We lucked into my mom getting one yesterday and the sheer relief and joy was palpable. 1st shot is just a sore arm, the 2nd shot is when you get the body aches etc.

it really is a weight lifted off me. I feel so much better knowing they will have the shot. In the grand scheme of things way more important to me. Yeah I will definitely sign up but managing the expectations. I plan to qualify again. it will be hard but the hard is what makes it great.

Anybody in the US in real spring yet?
Yep, spring has sprung in west-central FL. And by "sprung," I mean the pollen - out of the trees and EVERYWHERE. It's sunny, dry, and highs in the low 80s, lows in the low 60s... but I can't go outside because when I do, I spend the next 12 hours coughing and sneezing. "Luckily" spring is short-lived here: another few weeks and it'll be what the rest of the country considers summer, lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter